Do we need setup "Debug = True" in web.config for debugging client-side debug?

The question is as the subject.

When we debug client-side script, we need uncheck "Disable script debugging" in IE; attach debugger to the process of iexplore.exe; set breakpoints in clientside codes, but is that for sure we need to config web.config to allow debug?

But we do need this step if we want to debug ASP.NET applications, right?

aaronshi

Compilation debug = "true" vs. debug ="false"
If I run my site with debug="false" I get errors and can't make it past the login page.  If I run my site with debug="true" the whole site runs as it is supposed to.Is this common? What kind of errors are you getting? For whatever reason, I am no longer getting any errors.  I can't recall exactly what errors I was getting when things weren't working properly.At any rate, it's back to the way it should be.Thank-you for your reply, voodoo9055.  Your help, advice and expertise is always appreciated....

debug="false", website fails... debug="true" website works...
I've got an ASP.Net website (ASP.Net 2.0 running on Windows Server 2003 R2 all SP applied) that does not run when web.config has debug="false".  The error says to set debug="true" to see what the error really is. Problem is, when I set debug="true" the error goes away and the site runs fine. Here's an example of the error output: Unable to cast object of type 'ASP.display_articlelink_ascx' to type 'Display_ArticleLink'. I have a user control called Display_ArticleLink that I load like this:  Dim objArtLink As Display_...

Need to change debug = "false" if use Start without debuging?
If I use: Start without debuging, do I still need to change to debug = "false" in web.config file? Hi, You dont need to change the debug attribute for using "start without debugging". You need to set debug="false" when you deploy your application since it improves the performance. One more tip is to select the Mode as Release in VS.Net before building the final DLL for deployment. Thanks.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

configuration debug = "true" and the debug precompiler
Does the asp.net configuration debug="true" and the precompile directive #if DEBUG have anything in common? I don't think so but a colleague has told me there is some connection. Some of our code has #if DEBUGs that include additional stacktrace info when the code is compiled in Debug, a colleague has told me that when this code is built in release that somehow the #if DEBUG can be turned on and off at runtime with the asp.net configuration setting!!! is there any connection? I think not! My understanding would be that with at assembly compile time the code within the #i...

"Unable to start debugging on the web server. You do not have permission to debug the application. The URL for this project is in the Internet zone."
You may receive the error "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. You do not have permission to debug the application. The URL for this project is in the Internet zone. Click Help for more information."This is one of the various errors that appear when you are debugging and may haunt you until you do the following fix:-1. In the Internet Explorer, "Tools" Menu, select "Internet Options".2. Switch to "Security" Tab.3. Click on "Internet" (The Globe Icon. Its actually the default selected).4. Click on "Custom Level" in the bottom.5. Scroll down to find ...

microsoftajax.debug.js not loaded when debug="true"
Hi,I set ScriptMode="Debug" on the scriptmanager on my page and <compilation debug="true"> in web.config, but still microsoftajax.js is loaded instead of microsoftajax.debug.jsWhat am I missing here?Thanks,Thomas Check your machine.config for retail=true, that will override anything you do in the script manager.  I think this functionality is designed so that you don't accidentally try to debug a production server (obvious perf issues)Cheers,Jim WangMicrosoft (ASP.NET)http://weblogs.asp.net/jimwang  Thanks for the help, but I don't even have a...

Getting a "Unable to start debugging on the web server" error
I've installed Visual Studio 2008 Pro on my 64-bit Vista Ultimate machine.  I setup IIS before installing VS 2008.  I've just started creating a new ASP.NET 3.5 project on this machine, at this point with only 1 .aspx page, and one .htm page for basic HTML display (nothing at all fancy there).  When I went to hit the F5 key to start debugging it, after it went and setup the necessary configuration information in the Web.Config file, it then gave me the following error message: "Unable to start debugging on the web server.  the web server is not configured co...

Getting a "Unable to start debugging on the web server" error on Vista
I've installed Windows Vista Ultimate on one of my home PCs.  Then I installed IIS.  Afterwards I've installed Visual Studio 2005.  I want to have a simple web site which I'll use in my home network.  I then created a simple ASP.NET 2,0 website, for testing purposes.  But when I tried to debug it, in VS 2005, I got the following error message: Unable to start debugging on the web server.  Debugging failed because integrated Windows authentication is not enabled. I don't remember getting this error on Windows XP.  I do not know how to ena...

Read web.config and get "debug" value from compilation tag
How do I read from Web.config to get the value of "debug" attribute of the <compilation> tag? Thanks. Do you want to process it as regular XML document? Actually I don't think it's good idea, it's supposed to be accessible via System.Configuration classes. But if still want it here is how you can read it: XmlTextReader r = new XmlTextReader("Web.config"); while (r.Read()) if (r.NodeType==XmlNodeType.Element && r.Name="compilation") Console.WriteLine(r.GetAttribute("debug"));Oleg [XML MVP, MCPD]XmlLab.Net |...

<compilation debug="false">in web.config throwing "Thread abort exception"
In Production server, <compilation debug="false"> throwing "Thread abort exception" for long running processes for more than 15-20 mins Event log message : Exception type: ThreadAbortException  Exception message: Thread was being aborted Can anybody help us!!!    It may have nothing to do with the debug mode. Is it possible the Session or Application is timing out and shutting down your thread while it's still trying to run?  Steve Wellens My blog...

Web Deployment Projects - Web.Config
Ok, one question. I really like the Web Deployment Project beta, but I am looking for what should be a simple solution and can't find it. Currently, the only way to set an ASP.Net project so that it is not in Debug mode is to set it as so in Web.config...<compilation debug="false">This means that every time I want to compile the app for release, I have to make sure I make this change in web.config. With the Web Deployment Project release, I thought I could create a  compilation.config file and then set the property pages of the project to include "compilation=compilation.config" s...

Visual studio 2005 not entering in to debug mode although i set debug="true"
Hi,i have a peculiar problem with vs.net 2005. when i press F5 and run the application, my webpage is displayed in the browser but visual studio doesn't entering into debug mode and still the pause and end buttons on the tool bar shows disabled which means my application is not running. till yesterday it was working fine. i checked the web.config file and the debug mode is set to "true" ..debug="true".my operating system config.xp  with sp2vs2005 with sp1recently i installed .net framework 3.5 on my computer.Please help me. i am stuck with it.  Click “M...

VS.NET 2005 is ignoring in web.config strict="true". I get no error when I try this: Dim x As Integer = "string"
Hello,I have this in my VS.NET 2005 web.config <compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true">When I do this in my vb code:Dim x As Integer = "string"I get no error. When I hit compilation I also get no error. What am I doing wrong?Thanks for helping!Regards,J. Bauer It's a bug of some sort See this response by Scott Guthriehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3c1c9898-8076-4f69-a5e2-e99573d03c6e Unfortunately we don’t have a GUI based way to configure this. L It is something we will make sure gets added back in, though, with the next...

Do we need config Web.config for debugging Client side script?
The question is as the subject. When we debug client-side script, we need uncheck "Disable script debugging" in IE; attach debugger to the process of iexplore.exe; set breakpoints in clientside codes, but is that for sure we need to config web.config to allow debug? But we do need this step if we want to debug ASP.NET applications, right?   Thanks Aaron: Yes, you need to set debug="true" in web.config to debug the ASP.NET application itself. You can debug script in IE without a web.config change. Scotthttp://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/ Hi, Thanks for your help!...

Web resources about - Do we need setup "Debug = True" in web.config for debugging client-side debug? - asp.net.getting-started