Difference between web Site & Web Application

Hello friends,

Is there any differenece between Web Application and Web Site. where I can get the details about this?
One more thing I amusing Visual Studio 2005, now if I select File > New > Project I dodn't found any option for Web Application there. So ultimately I have to select File > New > Web Site.
Is it normally like this only or I have to do something to include Web Application option into New > Projects.

Please let me know

Thanks & Regards
Girish Nehte

Thanks & Regards
Girish Nehte

If This post helps you to solve your problem please mark this as an answer.
0
girishnehte

It's the same thing.  A website is a Web Application.

And your creating a new website correctly.  That confused me too when I started learning .NET

Cheers,
BSolveIT

http://www.bsolveit.com

If you get an answer to a question, please mark it as the answer. Many thanks!
0
BSolveIT
8/25/2007 12:52:29 PM

BSolveIT:

It's the same thing.  A website is a Web Application.

Well, in plain english it is the same thing. In ASP.NET terms though, there is a huge difference.

Simplified difference:

A "web site" has its code in a special App_Code directory and it's compiled into several DLLs (assemblies) at runtime. A "web application" is precompiled into one single DLL.

Which one is better is mostly a matter of taste, I think "web applications" rock, whereas "web sites" replace "ro" with "su".

If you're not seeing the Web Application project type in VS you most likely haven't installed Service Pack 1.

gunteman
8/25/2007 1:22:20 PM

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation at all.

Anyway, here's a decent article on the subject:

http://www.dotnetspider.com/kb/Article1938.aspx

Cheers,
BSolveIT

http://www.bsolveit.com

If you get an answer to a question, please mark it as the answer. Many thanks!
0
BSolveIT
8/25/2007 1:31:25 PM

gunteman:

I think "web applications" rock, whereas "web sites" replace "ro" with "su".

Just curious, but why?

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting
8/25/2007 1:49:01 PM

BSolveIT:

I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation at all.

Hey, I said it was simplified... Smile

Here's a less biased description of the Web Application model.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(vs.80).aspx

gunteman