Detecting Spiders

I know that I can get a visitor's IP Address with the following code:

HttpContext.Current.Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

But I need to be able to determine whether or not this return values is a spider or a bot, etc.  What is the best way to go about doing something like this?

0
RisenMan

Here is an article that might help you http://www.primaryobjects.com/CMS/Article102.aspx

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield
5/4/2009 10:57:53 PM

If I understand the article, I would need to update a .config file on my machine.  However, I need to identify crawlers so I can maintain statistics for my sight so I can't expect users' machines to be updated with these .config files.  I really need some sort of service where my page can "dynamically" check whether or not the visitor is a robot.

0
RisenMan
5/5/2009 1:27:40 AM

The only config file that needs to be updated is the one on the web server where your site is.  The only other way to detect crawlers is by the User Agent String.

This article does it by looking at the agent string for patterns http://www.nes-emulator.com/x_bot.php

- William

Give some of my PWSK modules a try.
0
whighfield

Getting Start With .net

how to get start with .NET

Getting started .net website

Getting started with JScript.NET

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

Getting Started Without VS.NET
Hi all, does anyone know how any online resources that can show me how to create web apps that include code-behind, and uer controls without using VS.NET? I have VS.NET in work, but would also like to do work at home, but cannot install VS.NET on my home laptop because I simply dont' have the space or processor power. Any online articles would be welcome, as will any open-source apps - I currently have SharpDevelop, but I find it unstable as it crashes my laptop alot of the time. Thanks Tryst Did you try Web Martix? It is a FREE tool from Microsoft.Regards, Narayana ...

Newbie Question
I have a new project which has just started. One of the requirements is to generate XML files. Do I have to create schema files? Does anyone have a tutorial or sample code to help me get started. I have some background using XML, but not in .NET. Thx Mark How to create a new xml file with XmlDocument? More examples hereSonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum Thanks, this is very helpful. What do I need to do extra to setup the schema for this xml file? Is the schema really necessary as well? Thx Mark You dont need to define any sc...

Getting started with mySQL Connector/Net 5.1
i have a vs2005 project which someone else built.  I need to connect to mySQL in this project. it is currently using the OleDbConnection to mySQL and I cannot make the connection, so I was told by the developer to try the the mySQL Connector/Net 5.1.  I have read the very encouraging documentation.  I am in a file called SqlDataProvider.vbI want to replace Dim objConnection As OleDbConnectionwithDim objConnection As MySqlConnection I get the blue squiggly  "MySqlConncection is undefined." I added this import to the top. Imports MySql.Da...

Getting started with .net mobile/wireless application programming
Hi friends, I am very much amateur to the world of mobile/wireless application programming that's why m is having thousands of doubts and confusion regarding the technology. My first few concerns about the terms i.e. mobile web applications vs. windows mobile applications first thing are these 2 things are same if not what are the main differences. I hope you will also show me some light how to move further ahead in this field as i m having small exp approx. 1.5 yrs in Asp.net application. Any help in the form of links, URL, code will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advanced...

Getting 3.1 to start in debug mode in vs.net 2003.
  Hi All, I have a run time version of dnn installed and working at D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke on my laptop. I want to be able to learn how to write DNN modules etc and so I have installed the source code in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\. I set the debug flag in web.config to yes..... as in the lines.. <!-- set debugmode to false for running application --> <compilation debug="true" /> I updated the solution file D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All to look at localhost/dotnetnuke3100 which is my source code version. I have created the...

Free .Net and Sql Server Training Videos for Developers just getting started
I figured since this is the Getting started forum I would mention a great .Net training video site with some free videos.http://www.TechnicalVideos.netThanksMike James...

Web resources about - Detecting Spiders - asp.net.getting-started

Methods of detecting exoplanets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Any planet is an extremely faint light source compared to its parent star . In addition to the intrinsic difficulty of detecting such a faint ...

Detecting unauthorized cross-app resource access on OS X
Last week, Luyi Xing, a Ph.D. student from Indiana University Bloomington and his colleagues released a research paper on several vulnerabilities ...

METAL DETECTING A RARE SAXON COIN OF BURGRED - YouTube
ON A LARGE FORTY ACRE FIELD I MANAGED TO DETECT A RARE SAXON PENNY OF THE MERCIAN KING BURGRED. If you look at the coin close up you will see ...

Gold Coast Suns detecting 'a trickle of respect'
... produce a quarter "as good as we've played" in its first win at Etihad Stadium at the weekend Gold Coast chief executive Travis Auld is detecting ...

Detecting APT Activity with Network Traffic Analysis

Malware-detecting 'sandboxing' technology no silver bullet - Palo Alto, mcafee, trend micro, security ...
The security technology called "sandboxing" aims at detecting malware code by subjecting it to run in a computer-based system of one type of ...

Researchers close to developing a blood test for detecting Alzheimer’s
A team of scientists say they are getting closer to detecting Alzheimer’s antibodies at the preclinical stage, giving patients an opportunity ...

Threat-detecting surveillence cameras among first start-up projects to benefit from local Microsoft Innovation ...
South Australia's start-up support initiatives give funding to system that foils armed hold-ups by locking the shop doors to suspicious people. ...

Detecting APT Activity with Network Traffic Analysis

Shrimp's eyes inspire new cancer-detecting camera
Shrimps' eyes have been revealed as the latest weapon against cancer, with their unique vision set to be adapted to diagnostic cameras.