Deploying Web App > web.config hell ?

Hello,

for the last 8 hours or so I'm trying to deploy one of my personal apps on a hosted
server. I've asked the host to set the folder both as a virtual directory and as a web application. Both is done and confirmed. Now I've uploaded the application (compiled using the Project Copy in VS.NET) including the bin folder. Whenever I access the app I get this error:
http://www.europeum.net/dev/MMSNET/admin/index.aspx

The web.config file looks like this (standard):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<system.web>
<pages validateRequest="false" />
<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="false" />
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->
</authorization>
<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />
<sessionState
mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes"
cookieless="false"
timeout="20"
/>
<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8" />
</system.web>
</configuration>

So what am I doing wrong ? What else should I look at ?

0
vpekulas02

hi there,

Your bin folder and web.config should be in the root folder of your web space.
HTH
Sunny NAGI
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

longhorn2005

Web Deployment Projects: Web.config sections <system.web>
I like "Web Deployment Projects" a lot - WELL done!I encounter the following by trying to replace the system.web config section in Web.config.During the build I get   Web.config (1): error WDP00002: missing section system.web.I can replace other parts of the Web.config, like appSettings, connectionStrings and even system.runtime.remoting, but not system.web.Any ideas? Thankx! I think you have the honors of finding the first bug.  We're using Configuration.Sections[] to acess the replaceable sections and it doesn't appear to work with system.web.I'll enter the bug. ...

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

WebSite --> Web App vs WebSite --> Web Deployment Project
HelloJust had a total nightmare few days trying to get our large WebSite project documented properly. After discovering I need to convert it to a Web App just to get the XML output, i've been battling with a load of errors to get it building and working properly as a Web App. However, since NDoc does not support .Net 2.0 and the unofficial NDoc http://jonas.lagerblad.com/blog/?p=4 crashes before completing our documentation I am wondering if its worth continuing this precarious path... and also wondering if it would be easier to convert it to a Web Deployment Project? I dont wanna have to go...

how to get the access to modify web.config when running web app?
hi all, I am working on a web app that modification to the web.config may be needed when user logs on as administrator. when user logs on as an administrator, s/he cold choose to change some settings in the web.config. My question is, how to grant the permission of "modify" web.config to this kind of user? I know that all the user access the resources through "anonymouse access", and they use account "XXX\Iuser_XXX" to access the web.config, but this account (or user group) has no access "modify or write" to web.config. When config.save(0 used, the user must have the write perm...

web web web

Deploying VS.NET 2005 Crystal on a Web Server for Web App
Can someone confirm when/where the Crystal for VS.NET 2005 Merge Modules will be available?Secondarily.. I am wanting to deploy to a web server and with VS.NET 2003 v (and VS.NET 2002 version), I had to use the merge modules to be able to enter in our product key otherwise we had licensing issues.I just read a post that seemed to imply that this may not be needed with VS.NET 2005 version.. is that so?I am able to create a installation package by choosing Crystal as a prerequisite in the VS.NET 2005 setup project, but that seems more like the thing we would do if we were shipping out a WinFor...

Deploy 3.5 web app on .NET 3.0 web server?
Hello,I am considering developing an ASP.NET app in VS 2008 using LINQ.  I know LINQ is .NET 3.5 specific but the IIS6 web server I need to deploy to only has .NET 3.0 installed (and I can't change that).So my question: can I compile and deploy a .NET 3.5 app on a web server with .NET 3.0 on it?  If so, how - and is there any official MSFT documentation? thanks,Justin Try this out it may work, if not you won't be using Linq unless they upgrade. http://linqinaction.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/09/05/linq-support-on-net-2.0.aspx- WilliamPlease mark the most helpful rep...

Using multiple web.configs with different web apps in the same web folder.
How do I tell a web application to use a specific web.config file instead of referencing the root web apps web.config file? Example: In IIS i have this setup:My Server  Web Sites     Default Web Site (this has web.config with a reference to a HTTP Handler)     My Http Handler           My Sub Web             < --- This sub web is looking for the http handler in this web hope that makes sense.   shawn use location elem...

Need to put this in a web.config file. Transfer a collection from app.config to web.config.

Need helps on deploying a web services or web app to an existing web server
Hi people, I am going to deploy a new web service and a new web application to an existing web server, which is also hosting several other web apps. I am told that the IIS CAN NOT BE STOPPED, which means I can not build a MSIs to install them. Looks like only two options I can use: 1) XCOPY 2) Publish the web service or web app through the VS 2008. Can anyone please give me some advices what is the best way to have a deployment without any interruptings and less problems. Thank you.    use FTP to copy files from your system to web hoster system. you ca...

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

app.config and web.config deployments and installers
I use web deployment projects for changing web.config values based on the configuration build types I have setup (dev/test/stage/prod) and it works excellent for building installers in multiple environments.  Now, I am trying to do the same the Windows Applications.  How can I automate the changing of app.config values based on the build configuration (dev/test/stage/prod)?  Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,Chris...

Web Deployment Project - Config Properties
I'm using a Web Deployment Project to compile my web site. In the Property Pages - Configuration Properties - Deployment section, there is an option to 'Enable Web.config file section replacement'. I have this working to replace certain sections of my web.config for each build config (release/staging/dev). I think this makes sense so other developers do not have to remember to change the web.config file. HOWEVER, this only seems to work when replacing parts of web.config; such as appSettings, connectionString, etc. This would require me to have separate config files for each section and bui...

running 2 web.configs in the same website 1 in /web.config and one in /swf/web.config
Im having issues doing this. and when i remove the authentication from the swf/web.config it still doesnt seem to be applying to the child website at all. Whats the proper way to set a child website? Thanks!!  The lower most web.config overrides all previous settings. So if you remove the section from the /swf/web.config whatever settings you have in the web.config in the next higher level will have an effect on the content of the child folder.So instead of removing a section, try giving appropriate settings in the /swf/web.config....

Web resources about - Deploying Web App > web.config hell ? - asp.net.getting-started

Buzz Aldrin deploying the Solar Wind Collector - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Buzz Aldrin is deploying the Solar Wind Collector (SWC), a foil sheet which he is pointing at the Sun. Note the word 'Shade' printed on the bottom ...

Quick guide - Deploying Windows 10 IoT Preview to Raspberry Pi 2 - YouTube
Detailed description: Quick walkthrough on how to deploy and configure Windows 10 Internet of Things (IoT) Preview for a Raspberry Pi 2 device. ...

NATO 'totally' denies deploying troops near Russian border of Ukraine
NATO has denied Russian claims that it was planning to deploy massive numbers of troops near the country's border.

Tony Abbott Has Just Paid His First Visit To Iraq Since Deploying Troops To Fight Islamic State
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has paid his first visit to Baghdad and Iraq.

AusCERT 2013: Deploying BYOD in a government environment
Strong executive desire to use iPhones led the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities to start looking ...

US looks at deploying Australian warships in north Asia
The United States is working to integrate Australian warships into its ballistic-missile defence systems in North-east Asia, as it strives to ...

US looks at deploying Australian warships in north Asia
The United States is working to integrate Australian warships into its ballistic-missile defence systems in North-east Asia, as it strives to ...

Other nations to follow Australia's success in deploying troops to Iraq
Britain, Canada and the Netherlands are using Australia's process for getting troops into Iraq as a template to authorise their own deployments. ...

Islamic State: Australia open to possibility of deploying more forces after Ramadi ...
ABC Online Islamic State: Australia open to possibility of deploying more forces after Ramadi ... ABC Online Prime Minister Tony Abbott has ...

ISIS mission: Canada mulls deploying CF-18 jets to join U.S.-led strikes
The federal cabinet will meet next week to discuss deploying Canada's CF-18 fighter jets to join a U.S.-led campaign against the Islamic State ...