Dates, Dates, Dates!

Hello all...
I am in the process of building an appointment system, and I am trying to see if I can get some pointers on which way to go on this.
The first version of this appointment system was very lo-tech, and it stored all of the possible dates/times in the database. Once a user booked an appointment, their information was logged to that date/time, and then that date/time would no longer show in the list of possible openings. This was great for a temporary fix, but with having to pre-populate all of the dates/times, the system would eventually have to be updated to continue on past the last date/time in the database.
What I am trying to do now is make it a whole lot smarter, and have it be able to run forever without having to update it. To do this, I want to store only the appointments booked, and then when a user searches for openings, it will only display dates/times between the start date and end date that do not match an entry already in the database. It will also have to be smart enough to avoid booking appointments on Sat. and Sun. As for holidays and stuff, I guess that can be done on the back end on a per case basis.
For the record, I am really trying hard to learn this stuff, so I am not looking for any code handouts. But what I would be interested in is maybe some good resources where I can find out stuff about dates/times and how they are handled by .NET, looping through dates/times, evaluating data in a dataset and anything else you may see valuable to this project.
The way I see it happening is that when the user searches, the matching booked appointments are retrieved from the database and stored in a dataset. Then it starts to loop from now() until the search end date, creating rows in a new dataset for every date/time that does not match a date in the first dataset. Then the new dataset is bound to a datagrid and displayed for the user.
Thanks in advance!.......Any tips, tricks, links, resources, advice, etc. etc. will be greatly appreciated.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Jason Miller

Creative Developer

iChameleon Group

www.ichameleongroup.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
0
djcordel

Only store a selected date when it is reserved.  Then as you go to display the calendar, REMOVE anything in the database from NOW() until the end date as well as any weekend.  Then you're done.

Holidays can be represented as a ton of things, but you might want to make this a case by case thing with a selectable field for "holiday" that "reserves" the entire day. This could be done by administrators.
Picky
0
pickyh3d
4/17/2004 4:11:08 PM

Well, that’s basically how I envisioned it working as I stated above. The problem is writing the code to make it work. I am looking for a resource where I can learn more about how to loop through and manipulate dates and times based on dates and times from the database, as well as the current date and time. I have about 4 or 5 different ASP.NET books here and it seems that none of them cover much information on how to work with dates and times. They cover the basics on how to use a date variable and so on, but they are not in-depth enough for what I am trying to accomplish.
The thing is that I am an experienced Action Scripter and can put this thing together in no time using Flash......but the server I am putting it on does not support remoting. So normally I would just do basic stuff in the server-side scripts and then let Flash handle the rest.......In this case I have to do the whole thing on the server end. So I am basically just looking for some resources where I can convert what I already know into ASP.NET (VB).
Thanks for the reply!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Jason Miller

Creative Developer

iChameleon Group

www.ichameleongroup.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
0
djcordel

from date to date
I am working on a form for livestock. one of the things in the form is a checkbox to let me know if they qualify or not. the second is I have a created record field entered into the database... now my question is I am doing a search on this and cant figure it out since i am new to all this...i have a query that selects the qualification checkbox (where qualify = 'true') then another query that selects the created record date... and the search is that I want to get the information in the livestock that are qualifyed (have the checkbox qualify = to 'true') between  one dat...

From Date and To Date
 In my application i have two textboxes.One for From date and the other one for To date.I need to check whether the From date is lesser than To Date..Date formats will be either(DD-MM-YYYY) or (DD/MM/YYYY).and i have used calendar extender for selecting dateI need the script code to do this...Thanks in advance See this thread: http://forums.asp.net/t/1346328.aspxMohsin Naeem"Please mark as answer if it helped you"  <form id="form1" runat="server"> <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"> </...

calendar date span (date start : date end)
Hi! Can anyone help me with this? Say, I have these two textboxes. Date Start:        Date End:             What I wanted to do is to put dates on it using the calendar. My problem is I do not know what to do to keep the "Date Start" not way after the set "Date End", and for "Date End" not way before the set "Date Start".   example: Date Start: July 1, 2008              &nb...

Getting dates between 2 dates
Hi all, Would like to make an enquiry, if i have 2 dates, how can can i get all the dates between these 2 dates. Thanks for the help.   You will probably need to loop through the dates;               DateTime startdate;            DateTime enddate;            List<DateTime> allDates = new List<DateTime>();            allDates.Add(startdate);         ...

Start date and End Date
Hi, Working on a create user workflow i need to add a mandatory start date for the user and an optional end date for some users. I have two fields for this in the request form of type date and control Type is DatePicker. There is an eDirectory attribute called loginActivationTime, is that used for activating an account at the preset time? End date, is that Login Expiration Time ? And I think I have to repormat the dates as well ? I have found some discussions about date formats but what is the best practice on how to do a reformat if I use IDM 3.6 and UA3.6.1 ? I guess I...

Get the dates between two dates
Hi all, I want to get all the date between two dates. For example I have a StartDate="12/5/2003" and a EndDate="12/7/2003" the result should be 12/5/2003 12/6/2003 12/7/2003 Ant help is appreciated Thanks for ( DateTime theDate=StartDate ; theDate<=EndDate ; theDate.AddDays(1) ) { // Do something...theDate.ToShortDate() would give the string... } Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog I get a syntax error as :"For loop variable cannot be of type Date" Hmm. The below work...

getting date in between 2 date
how do i get the date in if it is within the 2 date? er... don't know how to phrase i think my sql is something like this: SELECT * From Transaction WHERE Date BETWEEN 01/08/1900 AND 31/08/2000 BTW i declare my Date as date/time(short date) is it possible with the sql? it display Syntax error in FROM clause. SELECT * From [Transaction] WHERE [Date] BETWEEN #01/08/1900# AND #31/08/2000# Now, this presumes that the machine in question is expecting dates in dd/mm/yyyy format. Note that Transaction and Date are likely reserved words, and so I have enclosed them in [ and ...

SQL Stored Procedure
Hi hopefully someone can help. I created the following function to return all dates between a start date and end date:  ALTER FUNCTION fnGetDatesInRange ( @FromDate datetime, @ToDate datetime ) RETURNS @DateList TABLE (Dt datetime) AS BEGIN DECLARE @TotalDays int DECLARE @DaysCount int SET @TotalDays = DATEDIFF(dd,@FromDate,@ToDate) SET @DaysCount = 0 WHILE @TotalDays >= @DaysCount BEGIN INSERT INTO @DateList SELECT (@ToDate - @DaysCount) AS DAT SET @DaysCount = @DaysCount + 1 ...

convert date christian date to persian date
hi, I need to convert christain date that was produced in my Sql database to persian date like" دوشنبه 21 مرداد 1378" in a datalist.Could you recommend me any function.I use VisualStudio 2005 & VB. thanks in advance Sepid Take a read of http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/PersianDateInSQLServer.aspx or maybe a javascript route like http://www.codeproject.com/KB/gadgets/PersianDateViewerGadge.aspx Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That way future readers will ...

How to get week start date, End date for a given week nunber,year?
I want  a javascript function to to get the starting date and end date of a week when I have given the week number (1 to 5), Month number (1 to 12), valid year as parameter. How to do that?Manivannan  You can visited http://www.datejs.com/2007/11/I dont have example.Hope it's help you. try this example function GetWeekStartEndDate(){    var week = 5;    var month = 4;    var year = 2008;        var PositiveOneDay = new Date(new Date('1/2/2000') - new Date('1/1/2000'));   &...

Date() == new Date()
Ecma wise, what's the expected return from the above, true or false? I know 'Date()' called as a function returns a string, while 'new Date()' returns an object. I also know Date.toString() is getting called (SM) for 'new Date()' before the '==' equality operator is evaluated (to 'true'). What's the expected return for Date() === new Date()? Thanks for the attention! Celso Celso Aguiar wrote: > Ecma wise, what's the expected return from the above, true or false? > I know 'Date()' called as a function returns a string...

No date in Date field
I have just installed thunderbird on my system. I migrated from outlook express. All the mail that was there before shows both the date and the time in the date field. However, all mail received by thunderbird only has a time stamp, no date. How do I correct this?? Thanks, Roger _Roger Bailey_ spoke thusly on 29/08/2006 10:09 PM: > I have just installed thunderbird on my system. I migrated from outlook > express. All the mail that was there before shows both the date and the > time in the date field. However, all mail received by thunderbird only has ...

compare date to a date
I have in a where clause the following statement. SELECT "sales"."sale_date", "sales"."ling_no", "sales"."course_no", "sales"."product_no", "sales"."service_no", "sales"."quantity", "sales"."amount", "payment"."amount", "payment"."payment_form" FROM "payment", "sales" WHERE ( "sales".&...

the From date should be lesser than To Date
 In my application i have two textboxes.One for From date and the other one for To date.I need to check whether the From date is lesser than To Date..Date formats will be either(DD-MM-YYYY) or (DD/MM/YYYY).and i have used calendar extender for selecting dateI need the script code to do this...Thanks in advance DateTime.Compare(t1,t2); Value Type Condition Less than zero  t1 is earlier than t2. Zero t1 is the same as t2. Greater than zero t1 is later than t2. "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" from date :(i...

Web resources about - Dates, Dates, Dates! - asp.net.getting-started

Raj Date - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... industry in 2009 to start the Cambridge Winter Center, a nonprofit think tank devoted to promoting the regulation of financial firms. Date joined ...

Christian churches close to deal to fix common date for Easter: Archbishop of Canterbury
The heads of the Christian churches are close to sealing a deal to fix the date of Easter, the Archbishop of Canterbury has revealed, ending ...

Apple Watch 2 release date reportedly pushed back
It's funny how the accuracy of the Apple rumor mill ebbs and flows. A few months ago, we heard rumblings that Apple was planning to release the ...

My Most Embarrassing Date... Ever!
I’ve been asked on a date this week. If my past dating experiences are anything to go by then it’s going to be a disaster. I’ve been in long ...

Janet Jackson announces rescheduled tour dates, Barclays Center & Prudential Center included
Janet Jackson had to postpone her "Unbreakable" tour due to surgery, and now the rescheduled dates have been announced. The NYC-area shows now ...

Police: eHarmony date leads to rape at bus terminal
An alleged rape victim told police she was raped after meeting a date at New York City's Port Authority bus terminal

‘Hunters’ & ‘12 Monkeys’ Get Premiere Dates On Syfy
Syfy has announced premiere dates for its new alien drama Hunters from The Walking Dead executive producer Gale Anne Hurd, and returning time ...

Janet Jackson Reschedules Tour Dates: 'I Can't Wait to See You!'
Janet Jackson Reschedules Tour Dates: 'I Can't Wait to See You!'

Android Circuit: Galaxy S7 Release Dates, The Biggest S7 Leaks, Why Apple Needs Android
This week’s Android Circuit includes what we know about the Galaxy S7, the impact of the leaks on Samsung's marketing, release details on the ...

Woman accuses eHarmony date of rape near busy NYC bus station
Woman accuses eHarmony date of rape near busy NYC bus station