Creating an Excel file using VB.Net

Just after some help to create an Excel file using VB.Net please. I've had a bit of a hunt around but can't find an exact example of code that I'm after.

I'm new to .Net and VB.Net and wanted to create and save records to an EXCEL file. I can translate from C# if need be.
Thanks for any help.
0
Amelia99

Hi Amelia99,

Which version of Excell do you want to use? The latest version (2003) has xml possibilities and you can download a free SDK at the microsoft site that makes it quite easy to use with vs.net 2003. It makes new project templates and one of them is for excell.
Grz, Kris.

XIII
9/8/2004 8:12:09 AM
Would CSV file do the job? It is much easier to create (just a coma separated text file).

Leon Langleyben

MCSD, ASP.NET MVP

Blog
0
llangleyben
9/8/2004 8:13:09 AM
Hi Kris,

Thanks so much for your response. We are using Office 2000. I read about some of the features you mentioned in my trails.
I did end up finding a great KB article that helped me out while I was waiting for my Post but I may need help later.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306022
What's happening is we have a large Result set (99000+ rows) from an app written in .Net querying ORACLE using the ORACLE Database provider. Presently, it is being put into a dataset and then built into an XLS file but since the dataset is cached, it is running out of memory. My idea was to change it to a DataREader and then write to the file using autoflush so it doesn't cache that either. Well, that's the theory - now just trying to find code to do it.
Sorry to go into it all but I HAD to tell someone as I've been thrown on the .Net app that is NOT working and there is noone else to ask questions too.
Thanks again for your time.
0
AMELIA99
9/8/2004 9:42:14 PM
Hi Leon,

I think you may be exactly right on this one after I was hunting around a bit more.
I found the below article (don't know how I missed it before) which talks about different strategies. We currently open an EXCEL window to display the results of our reports in our Web app. As far as I an work out about the .NEt app so far is it is creating a text file with xls extension and using javascript to open streaming to browser with a different header so it's xls? I could be wrong. Really just muddling my way through at the moment. I think I need to consider flushing out each line as I write it for my "bigger" issue (see reply post above)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306022
Thanks so much for your time and effort replying. It's great to know that there is help out there. Hopefully when I get a bit more knowledgeable, I can help someone out some day.
Regards
Amelia
0
AMELIA99
9/8/2004 9:48:53 PM
Hi Amelia,

we all started like newbies once and personally my first posts were only questions. Later on I started to reply to other threads and I still like to do it.
I hope that you may progress steadily.
Grz, Kris.
PS: one little side note, take a look here: view post 98605.

XIII

Need tutorial on creating Excel File using VB.NET
I am trying to create a pipe "|" delimited excel file from my VB.NET application. I did a search and didn't find anything very useful. I will create the pipe delimited text string in code. I just need to write each text string into a different row in a spreadsheet. Then create the .xls file. I have done this previously with a .txt file, but from what I have read this is different when creating a .xls file. Does anyone have any good tutorials for this? Thanks.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a po...

How to Create .mdb file from Excel file using C#.net
Hi all I want to create .mdb file that i have created excel feel from MS jet Database... through code behind Help me in this..  Regards RaviPlease click "mark as answer" if this post helped you. How to create an mdb file programmtically:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317881How to import Excel data into it: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=79 Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site...

How to Create an Excel File from VB.Net
VWD 2008 Express.  Visual Basic. Is it possible to build an Excel workbook from VB code behind an aspx page.  What do I need to do?  Can anyone provide a code sample?  Thanks.Dr. Douglas PruiettGood News Jail & Prison Ministrywww.goodnewsjail.org Not knowing your exact needs, this code sample from ASPNet101.com shows how to export from a Gridview to an Excel file http://www.aspnet101.com/aspnet101/aspnet/codesample.aspx?code=gvExportExcelDavid WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Contro...

how to get data from excel using vb.net
how to get data from excel using vb.net Hi, This article might help: http://authors.aspalliance.com/aldotnet/examples/excel.aspx Regards, How can obtain the sheet's list of a Excel document? here u can find the solution for your problem, mark if as answer if u problem got solved http://lakshmik.blogspot.com/2005/12/how-to-get-excel-data-into-net-dataset.html  Vyas Pentakotauniq_vyas@yahoo.com ...

Close Excel file using VB.NET
Hi all, I need an urgent help here. I have a excel file which protected by a password, and the excel file itself already have closing code in ThisWorkbook. I need to use VB.NET to read this file, I read successfully open this file using the Workbooks.Open function and pass in the password. But whenever I want to close this excel file, it will run a dialog box. Is there any possible way to tell the dialog box "yes" or "no" using coding in .NET? I will put the closing code and my .NET code here. ================================================...

how can i Get OCX File in .net IDE vb.net/C3
hi all,      How can I generate OCX file in VB.net/c# 2005 that will interact in web pages...?Thanks & Regards,Murthy. Hi murthysrn, As far as I know, VB 2005 and C# 2005 cannot create the project for ocx file. However, I hope the following link will be helpful to you. Creating an ActiveX Control in Visual Studio 2005http://msmvps.com/blogs/pauldomag/archive/2006/08/16/107758.aspxSincerely,Benson YuMicrosoft Online Community Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. This can be beneficial to other co...

Export GridView as an Excel file using VB.NET
Hi I thought this topic would have been covered to death in Google, but I can't seem to find a simple solution for VB.NET 2.0 (found loads for C#!).  I'm using a simple gridView with an SqlDataSource, and would like a button that when clicked, creates an Excel file which the user can save. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Much appreciatedRichard You can purchase one of many components that will provide this featureYou can write code that will output the file as a CSV file with the .xsl extension then provide a link to the file for download.Or, you can write...

getting and modifying file properties using vb.net
i want my application to retrieve the information from the file`s property window as to when was the file created and when was it modified.... i also want to change these properties  how can i do that using visual basic 2005 classes ????? can some one help??? thanks in advanceaman Use the FileInfo class.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Trying to create a FIle Upload page using vb.net
Can someone give me some advise on what I may be doing wrong in creating the file upload below. I'm trying to create a file upload page for a site that I'm developing, and whenever I click the  "Upload Image Button" nothing happens....the image that I'm trying to upload doesn't appear as expected. I have included the VB.NET code below. Thanks  code for uploadfile.aspx.vb Public Class uploadfile1 Inherits System.Web.UI.Page #Region " Web Form Designer Generated Code " 'This call is required by the Web Form Designer. <System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> Private S...

converting vb.net 2003 files to vb.net 2005
Hi, i am beginner..i watch videos about vb.net..they made on vs.net 2003 when i wrote these codes in 2005 ,it gives errors..is there any program which convert the code automatically?   thanks,Thanks,Speranza What videos are you talking about?  There are lots of great, up-to-date ASP.NET Videos on this site for free.Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! i am talking about learnvisualstudio.net videos..Thanks,Speranza Speranza:they made on vs.net 2003 when i wrote these codes in 2005 ,it gives errors..is there a...

Web resources about - Creating an Excel file using VB.Net - asp.net.getting-started

Londonistan: How Britain is Creating a Terror State Within - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The book encompasses a critique of multiculturalism , alleged weak policing, cultural relativism , and what Phillips calls a 'victim culture'. ...

Facebook’s Matt Kelly Describes Process Of Creating Plugin For WordPress
The plugin for WordPress launched by Facebook in June has been downloaded more than 180,000 times, and Engineer, Developer Relations Matt Kelly ...

Creating Online Ads that Drive Brand Awareness
New research shows how the creative elements of online ads impact brand awareness.

Bug - Creating a Video.Watches Action stopped working - Facebook-Entwickler
Since today executing a POST on a me/video.wacthes endpoints no longer works, it was working around 10 hours ago since then the call always returns ...

Facebook Creating Fourth-Party Privacy Rules for Facebook Connect Widget & Plugin Developers
In a recently-written post on the Facebook Developers Wiki, Facebook had added new rules for information sharing between websites that have implemented ...

The Obama campaign won by creating their own Facebook, with unique features for political campaigns.
... seen as too dangerous to nominate someone who is so thoroughly narcissistic, arrogant and dishonest. The Obama campaign won basically by creating ...

Creating A Great Startup Culture
... with any Bay Area startup these days (ping pong, beer on tap, catered lunches and Macbook Airs) – though these things are, of course, Creating ...

WIRED Creating the Nebula for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get WIRED Creating the Nebula on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Nets of freedom creating mesh networks 03.07.2013 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Strelka Institute photo's photos on Flickr. Strelka Institute photo has uploaded 14526 photos to Flickr.

Creating the incorrigible Cartman - YouTube
"South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were big fans of "All in the Family," a 1970s CBS sitcom. Perhaps this is why their most incorrigible ...