Basically i built a webpage with Login and it's working well from my local machine.
Right now, i'm using Database Publishing Wizard.

the problem is how do i convert
.MDF files to .SQL 2005 to get my database publish in the internet?

thanks

0
usrnix

Place your .MDF file in the App_Data directory, change the connection string accordingly and then publish your web site.

Please click Mark As Answer if this helped in solving your problem.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem.
0
sudipta

so meaning, i should upload my .MDF file and place it in App_Data directory?

by the way, how do i change my connection string accordingly?
do you have any tips?

0
usrnix
4/2/2008 4:48:40 PM
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\YourDatabase.mdf;User Instance=True"/>

Please click Mark As Answer if this helped in solving your problem.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem.
0
sudipta
4/3/2008 11:21:34 AM

usrnix:

Hi,

Basically i built a webpage with Login and it's working well from my local machine.
Right now, i'm using Database Publishing Wizard.

the problem is how do i convert
.MDF files to .SQL 2005 to get my database publish in the internet?

thanks

Hi,

If you want to use the Sql server 2005 instead of MDF file on the server, you can use Database Publishing Wizard to create .SQL Installation Scripts for your Express Database and then using this .SQL files to create your remote databases on the SQL Server 2005 and modify the connectstring.

For more information, see http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/12/22/recipe-deploying-a-sql-database-to-a-remote-hosting-environment-part-1.aspx

If this doesn’t help you, please feel free to let me know.

I hope this helps.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly.
I dont have the SQL EXPRESS installed instead I have SQL Standard Edition.  I have two SQL Server instances installed.  1- UserLT (this is sql 2000)2- UserLT\SQL2005 (this is SQL 2005 named instance) But when i try to add a database to my VS website project I get the following error: Connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly. please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=4925 I went in Tools>Opetions>DataBase tools>Data Connection>Sql Server Instance Name (...

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Moving SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi, I have SQL Server 2005 in my Development machine but the hosting server has only SQL server 2005 Express. I was wondering if I develop the DB in SQL server 2005 would be able to move/deploy it to SQL Server Express in the production server? If so how? Can I just generate the script and then run it on the productions server? Or there is a better/easier way? Thanks in advanceShuaib----------------------- I don't anticipate any problems creating database in SQL Server 2005 and moving it to Express. If you need to generate the script to create an empty shell (no d...

How to convert a SQL Server 2005 Database to SQL Server Express
Hi, I have a SQL Server 2005 Database that I would like to export to SQL Server Express. How do I go about this? I've tried backing it up, creating a new (blank) SQL Server Express Database and trying to restore it, but get the following message: TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'PRODSOL-LAPTOP1\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo) For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOp...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Error: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.
Hi guy'sI downloaded the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, as well as SQL Server 2005 Express, and I am following the instructions given by sbwalker for the DotNetNuke 4.0.0 Starter Kit and Templates. I've gotten stuck trying to create the first Database.mdf file, I get an error that says:"Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251Any ideas what I should do? I installed SQL Server before Web Developer, and as far as I c...

SQL Server Express and SQL Server 2005
can any one tell me what the main differences are in the two editions? also can you use and express 2005 edition database on sql 2005? if not how would you do that? Tuppers Look here for a detailed comparison between the two.Yes, you can use Express databases on SQL Server 2005. Just attach it to an instance of SQL Server 2005.Is this enough information?DonDon Kiely, MCP, MCSDIn the Last Frontier, Interior AlaskaPlease post questions and replies to the forum! And remember to MARK AS ANSWER when someone definitively answers a question or resolves a problem! cheers i was told by my host t...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

Web resources about - Converting MDF files (SQL Server Express) to SQL Server 2005 WITHOUT having to buy SQL Server 2005 (I have Express). Personal WebSite Starter Kit - asp.net.getting-started

Rothesay building new arena, converting existing rink to fieldhouse
The Town of Rothesay plans to build a new arena and convert the existing one into a fieldhouse.