converting a windows applications to a web application

hi,

i need guidance on how to convert a windwos application to a web application.  i'm a newbie to .NET.

thanks,

brad

0
bradibo

Brad,
I am afraid that this is too general of a question, but I will attempt to help if possible. If  your winform app is written in .NET then the data layer is probably reuseable. You will of course have to build entirely new forms in XHTML and replace the controls accordingly. Also, you will have to use Session variables to keep your state verses it just being there for you on the desktop. I think that one of the most important things when going from Win to Web is stay away from static variables. If you call a static on the web it will hold the same value across all users and not just a single user like on the desktop. If you need more detailed help just post it up and I will try my best. I am a winform and web app programmer so I may know where you are coming from.

Later,

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Brian Parker
CEO, Cofounder
NeoTekSystems
Phone:(864)770-0473
Fax:(864)770-0476
www.neoteksystems.com
bparker@neoteksystems.com
0
brianparker
2/9/2006 3:24:40 AM

One more thing you might wanna consider is the security context within which the web applications execute is completely different from those of windows applications.

There is no easy way to convert a windows application to a web app as thier architectures are very different. You might be able to reuse certain sections of code.

0
HotFixer
2/9/2006 9:55:48 AM

Might be it is too general but ubiquitous client demand.

The client gives you a bunch of winforms screenshots and tell you:
"I want the same as in my winforms but migrated to webforms".

He refuses to give you the code or database schema or even description of business flows/data.
Just use any data and stub code for testing.

I tried to search on internet...
And surprise-surprise, I could not find anything!

Though I believe it should be kind of FAQ.

I have exp in webapps but not much in winforms.
Ok, to make it less general:
I need to convert winform DataGrid, DataGridView into webform analogue.

The former has the out-of-the-box functionality to edit, upgrade, navigate, page and add new records data.
That's the simplest case.

What is the approach to converting such forms?

Guennadi Vanine - Gennady Vanin - Геннадий Ванин
0
guenavan

Converting from windows application to web application!
Hi friends   I want to convert web application written in VB6.0 into Web Application using ASP.NET2.0.  Can any one give some tips or guidance how to approach this? How to start this application? Your input is appreciated.  Thanks Regards Bindu They are really two different things... I'd recommend the following... First, look at how you want to design your website to improve or duplicate the similar functionality you already have in your pc app. While a pc and web app are different, your class library code that does the interaction with databases and man...

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

How i call windows application in web application without using dll of windows application
i want to call Windows application in web Application Without using dll of Windows application in ASP.net 2.0  hi!try this: ProcessStartInfo pi = new ProcessStartInfo("app.exe"); pi.CreateNoWindow = true;  Process p = Process.Start(pi); p.WaitForExit(); if (p.ExitCode != 0){//report error } orzeh  code less, think more!...

Stop and Start a Web Application using Application Pool contains may Web Applications
Hi, In my IIS 6.0, there is a Application Pool. This Application Pool contains 5 Asp.net Web Application. But I need to stop and restart one particular Web Application. How to do that? What is the process to start and stop a Asp.net Web Application. when the Web Application uses a Application Pool and the Particular Application Pool contains other Web Application as well.?     if you want like that then create separate application pool for each web application. Then you can start and stop one particular web application. Other easy way is just modify the web.config file of you...

How to extract xml file from window application to web application in .net
hi..i have two software solutions both in .net one is desktop and another is web application.And i want to transfer data between these application using xml. In desktop solution i have created a xml schema and create a xml document that conforms to that schema.XML doucment is created which contains the data.Now i have to extract this xml document into my web application and store the data of this xml file into my database and vice versa. So tell me what are the different methods to get the document from desktop to web and from web to desktop.Actaully i am not much aware of this type i...

Web Application our Windows Application
Hello I am Mona ali, I am developing  a project for HR Management.There is a bank with a lot of people information and about 40 users will work with this bank.  I dont know if  it would be better to design this project in web our windows apllication. Please guide me ASAP! Thanks Mona A windows application would be more secure if the data will be sensitiveMark this post as 'Answer' if (answer == true)Construction Software : www.proccm.comHomeowners place to find contractors www.benspost.org Hi could you be more specific as to your requirements....

how to convert existing web application to AJAX based web application
 Hy, i have developed a web application in asp.net 2.0 but due to so many post backs i want to convert this application to AJAX based to fulfill the future requirements, if you have any idea then please share with me, thanks in advance Regards, Aamir Dharani  This post has the answer you're looking for: http://forums.asp.net/p/1144152/1854320.aspxHanan Schwartzberg--------------------http://www.lionsden.co.il...

PB Applications converted to Web Applications
We have a number(3) of large PB7.0 applications that we are looking to migrate to the web. I know that we can take advantage of the DW in the applications (using HTML DW), but what about the other objects, both visual and non-visual. Are there currently any tools for generating web-applicable objects from existing PB objects other than DWs and are there any plans to do this in the future? My understanding is that the WDK only works for LAN, WAN and intranet not internet access, so this will not work for us. Any information would be appreciated, I am looking to leverage as m...

Call a web application from a windows application
HiI have 2 seperate projects: A web application in ASP.NET and a windows application in C#.I want to be able to open the web app from the windows app. What is the most elegant way to do it? Look into the System.Net.WebRequest and System.Net.WebResponse classes. I believe that there are even samples in VS Help on doing what you want.NC... i do it once a long a go time you can use this code as an exampleSystem.Diagnostics.Process.Start("C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\IExplore.exe","www.microsoft.com");also you read a bout process class from the msdn or microsoft onlin msdnthere is ...

merge windows application with web application
hi all : I just wanna know how to merge windows application (with a local database server) ,with a web application (with a remote server) ,using XML web services ,and make the data on the remote server up-to-date.please i need a great details... thank for your time Check out my article on DotNetJunkies, I think it will help you accomplish what you're saying....

Web resources about - converting a windows applications to a web application - asp.net.getting-started

New solution helps enterprises manage web applications
The shift towards the cloud means that running applications is now often done in a browser. While this is convenient for the end user it can ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Digitimes Research: China touch panel makers increasing investments in niche products and large-size ...
The China International Touchscreen Exhibition (C-Touch) was recently held in Shenzhen, China, featuring a number of local and international ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

Apple Patent Application Hints at Waterproof iPhone
The patent application describes special rubber ports over headphone and other openings to protect them from water coming in.

A new edition of CRISPR promises to make gene therapy ready for human applications
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research have developed a way to significantly cut down on “off-target” ...