Configuration: Debug .NET even when configuration is Release and debug=false

All --

Please help.

Why does the Output Window say "Configuration: Debug .NET" for a web site project when I have set the build configuration in the VS.NET IDE to "Release" and I have set <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" /> in the Web.config file?

Here are the details.

I have a VS.NET 2005 SP1 Solution.

The Solution contains 6 ClassLibrary projects.

The Solution contains 1 web-site project in it.

I am using C#.NET for all projects.

In the VS.NET IDE, I have set the build configuation to "Release".

In the Web.config file I have set <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" /> .

I build the project.

The last lines in the Output Window read as follows...

 ------ Build started: Project: C:\...\MyCompany.MyProject.MySite\, Configuration: Debug .NET ------
Validating Web Site
Building directory '/MyCompany.MyProject.MySite/App_Code/'.
Building directory '/MyCompany.MyProject.MySite/'.

Validation Complete
========== Build: 7 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

...so, the question is -- Why does that line say "Configuation: Debug.NET"?

How can that be fixed?

Please advise.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

http://www.NetBrainer.com
0
mkamoski

This is different from VS 2003 .NET.

There is no Release configuration in VS 2005 for ASP.NET apps, this is becouse the compilation model for ASP.NET on VS 2005 has changed, and now, VS 2005 has nothing to do about compilation on this apps, it relies on the ASP.NET, all you can do in a ASP.NET 2.0 application from the IDE is publish it to a folder for taking it to production site, without taking the code, the only thing you will have to change to switch between Debug and RElease is the "<compilation>" section of the web.config.

Even the  "Debug" configuration which appears in the configuration manager on this apps has no meaning, as they are not compiled by Visual Studio 2005, all of this is made by aspnet_compiler tool

Check this:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1048101&SiteID=1

0
GeorgeZ
1/2/2007 6:55:23 AM

GeorgeZ --

OK, I understand.

I was guessing that it was something like that.

I appreciate the clarification.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

http://www.NetBrainer.com
0
mkamoski
1/2/2007 2:32:46 PM
GeorgeZ:

[...]

This is a follow-up.

I think that I understand what you are saying.

What is still bugging me is the fact that after compilation the Output Window always says "Configuration: Debug .NET".

I find such output misleading given that I have built the Solution with Web.config set to <complation debug="false" ... /> and with the IDE's Configuration Manager set to "Release".

Is that Output Window reporting things erroneously? Is it a mis-reporting of the facts?

Will such a build always be reported as "Configuration: Debug .NET" regardless of the settings in Web.config and Configuration Manager?

If I understand you correctly, then the Output Window text "Configuration: Debug .NET" for the web-site project is meaningless and it should be ignored. Is that correct?

(I just want to double-check that with you.)

Please advise.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

http://www.NetBrainer.com
0
mkamoski

The output "Configuration: Debug .NET" of VS 2005 web project during comilation time is meaningless.

Please change

<complation debug="false" ... />

in your web.config to do so if you want "release" version.

However, after checking my visual studo 2005, I found there is only one "DEBUG" configuration for Web Project, whether with SP1 installed or not. But for Windows/Console Project type, there are Release and Debug configurations. So please check if your solution contain multiple project and make sure you are talking about Web Project.

0
GeorgeZ
1/3/2007 6:48:34 AM
GeorgeZ:
The output "Configuration: Debug .NET" of VS 2005 web project during comilation time is meaningless.

Please change

<complation debug="false" ... />

in your web.config to do so if you want "release" version.

OK. Great. That's what I wanted to double-check. I got it now.

GeorgeZ:
However, after checking my visual studo 2005, I found there is only one "DEBUG" configuration for Web Project, whether with SP1 installed or not. But for Windows/Console Project type, there are Release and Debug configurations. So please check if your solution contain multiple project and make sure you are talking about Web Project.

Yes, I am talking about a web-site project. I have noticed the same thing that you mention above regarding the VS.NET 2005 IDE. That is -- for web-site projects and for web-service projects, there is only 1 build configuration by default -- Debug. For other project types (ClassLibrary, WindowsApplication, ConsoleApplication, WindowsService) there are 2 build configurations by default -- Debug and Release.

I appreciate the verification, clarification, corroboration, and the help in general.

Thank you.

-- Mark Kamoski

http://www.NetBrainer.com
0
mkamoski

Debug/Start without debugging works
If I select 'Debug/Start Without Debugging', my program launches and runs just as it should. If I select Debug/Start With Debugging, the system flutters like it should, (running) appears in the title bar, and immediately returns to VS as if it's done running, and (running) now disappears from the title bar. the splash screen never appears, etc. it just shuts down. F10 from the IDE to launch in debug does the same thing (immediate start/stop).F11 from the IDE to launch in debug does the same thing (immediate start/stop).Solution Explorer/Project/Debug/Step Into New Instance does t...

WebSite only in DEBUG Configuration -> no Release configuration?!
Hi folks,    when i goto the solutions CONFIGURATION MANAGER i have Debug and Release modes. For all my class library projects i can changed them from DEBUG to RELEASE (or any of my custom solution configurations). The website only ever has one type of configuration -> DEBUG.  er ... why is this? is this related to the web site's config file or is it another settings?  Cheers folks.:: Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity ::...

Cant configure my .net to debug
When I try to run a project in my studio.net, it says it cannot start asp.net debugging. Someone told me that its an issue with the user account. However, on that persons computer, it has a different display in control panel when editing users. I think this is because that computer is set up with a domain and mine is a standalone machine. Any ideas what the problem is? So you are trying to debug locally on your machine which is not in a domain. Yes, if this other persons pc is part of a domain, the user/group administration can be different if they are using Active Directory. ...

Does the vb.net compiler ignore Debug object when debug=false?
Does the compiler ignore calls to the Debug object when <compilation debug="false"> is set in web.config? For instance if my code looks like this:Imports System.Diagnostics Partial Class MyPage Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) _ Handles Page.Load Debug.WriteLine("MyPage.Page_Load(): Page Load has started.", "NOTICE") ' Some execution happens here ... Debug.WriteLineIf(Me.IsPostBack, "MyPage.Page_Load(): Page is postback.", "NOTICE"...

Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debuging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debuged.
hello friends,I m developing one project upto yesterday it run fines but today when i run the project it shown following error.Error while trying to run project:Unable to start debuging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debuged.Plz help me how to solve this problem.Thanks in advance,Regards,Sandeep Suryawanshi In the web.config file make sure the debug=true attribute is set in the compilation tag. <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true"/> HCHaissam Abdul MalakMCAD.NET| Blog | Hello sir,Thanks for reply,When i m adding this line in web.config. Problem ...

Error while trying to run project: unable to start debugging on the web server. the project is not configured to be debugged
I keep getting this error after I made changes to the web.config file. Can someone tell me what am I doing wrong here? I can run the project with Start Without Debugging. What I want to do is restrict access in chksystems directory and allow users in the aspx directory. Thanks in advance. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <appSettings> <add key="strConnString" value="server=sqlserver;database=Dev;uid=sa;pwd=data" /> </appSettings> <system.web> ...

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The project is not configured to be debugged.
I have checked the webconfig file debug is set to true. I had to reinstall .net 2003 now I am getting this error  There are several common causes for this error message.  Most of them are covered in this KB article, along with a link to how to fix each one:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306172 Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

Getting 3.1 to start in debug mode in vs.net 2003.
  Hi All, I have a run time version of dnn installed and working at D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke on my laptop. I want to be able to learn how to write DNN modules etc and so I have installed the source code in D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\. I set the debug flag in web.config to yes..... as in the lines.. <!-- set debugmode to false for running application --> <compilation debug="true" /> I updated the solution file D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\dotnetnuke3100\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All to look at localhost/dotnetnuke3100 which is my source code version. I have created the...

VS.NET 2003 won't let me debug an IIS 6 site configured using host headers
Hello, I desperately need some assistance with a problem I've already spent 2 days on, without much luck. I'm running Windows Server 2003 R2 with Service Pack 1, IIS 6.0, and the problem is specific to debugging in Visual Studio .NET 2003 with Service Pack 1. To keep my development environment consistent with the sites as they appear on the production servers, I created several sites in IIS on port 80 using the default IP address, differentiated by host headers. My hosts file contains the necessary entries pointing back to 127.0.0.1, I've added all the host header URLs to my Trusted Sites...

Change configuration from Debug to Release
hello,in the configuration manager in a WebProject - after enabling debugging .... , now i want to switch  in the "Configuration Manager " to Release - but this did not work.If i open the ConfigurationManager i can only select Debug (<New>/<Edit> ..) but not release.so that if i publish the WebSite  ... also i get the the *.pdb in the bin folder.Any idea ...thanks The configuration manager in VS 2005 is pretty much obsolete for web projects, unless you are using the new Web Site Deployment project. I have some links and information on my blog: http://odetocode.co...

'No Debug Info' on executable in Debug Configuration
Hello, I'm using C++ Builder XE Update 1 (15.0.3953.35171) and I compile my VCL application with Debug Configuration. In 'Event Log' page I can to see: "Module Load: Example.exe. No Debug Info. Base Address: $00400000. Process Example.exe (4656)' The application start correctly but I not see the blue balls of debug on left of every row the source code of application. In the 'Final output directory' I have the Example.tds file. If I create a empty new 'VCL Forms Application - C++ Builder' all function correctly. What I can do? Best Regards. Davide....

configuration debug = "true" and the debug precompiler
Does the asp.net configuration debug="true" and the precompile directive #if DEBUG have anything in common? I don't think so but a colleague has told me there is some connection. Some of our code has #if DEBUGs that include additional stacktrace info when the code is compiled in Debug, a colleague has told me that when this code is built in release that somehow the #if DEBUG can be turned on and off at runtime with the asp.net configuration setting!!! is there any connection? I think not! My understanding would be that with at assembly compile time the code within the #i...

Unable to debug on the Web Server: The project is not configured to be debugged
Hi, I am going to debug a Web Server. I am getting the following Error Message:   Unable to debug on the Web Server: The project is not configured to be debugged. Please resolve the issue and help me.. Debmalya Khan     set the start page , set start up project - change proj properties to allow debugging In the compilation attribute of web.config I have set the debug attribute as true. Still it is not debugging. I have also registered the asp.net with the IIS but that is also solving the problem....Can u suggest something alternative.... thanks...  did u...

How to configure VS.NET to use NET Framework 2.0?
Hello I have just downloaded the beta version of .NET Framework 2.0 and I have Visual Studio 2003. How can I configure VS to use this new version 2.0, instead of 1.1? Thank you in advance. - Jasem Jasem Al-ShamlanInternet Applicationshttp://i.com.kwKuwait You can't, to build a .Net 2.0 application you need VS 2005./Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCTASPInsidersMy Blog...

Web resources about - Configuration: Debug .NET even when configuration is Release and debug=false - asp.net.getting-started