COM and .NET?

Hello I have a few basic questions I hope someone can help me with.

1.Let's say I create a .dll in Visual Basic 6 - just a class with one function. I then register this dll and can call it from an .asp page using server.createObject. Using this dll like this is referred to as COM right?
2. How do I access this dll from a .Net app?
3.COM+ Is an extension of com right? Using Microsoft Transaction Server with COM objects? What exactly is MTS and how would I use it from an asp page and also - is it used in conjunction with .net web apps?
4.Where can I get MTS (is part of windows or do you have to buy it seperately?)
5.Yeah - I know my questions are probably dumb but if anyone could give me a quick overview of it all, it would be most helpful..
0
monkeyFace

2.  Use COM interop.  Check out the COM Interop tutorials on MSDN here

3. No, COM+ provides enterprise-class application services such as transaction management, object pooling, etc. MTS has been rolled into COM+, but there is more to COM+ than MTS.
4. COM+ comes with Windows. COM+ 1.0 comes with Windows 2000. COM+ 1.5 comes with Windows Server 2003 and in an update for Windows XP.
Check out the COM+ Overview for Microsoft Visual Basic Programmers by Matthew MacDonald
Darrell Norton, MVP
Darrell Norton's Blog

DarrellNorton

COM .NET Interop
Hi, I need help here.. I have this problem.I have COM VB6 that call a .NET class library, and this class library use the .NET SAP Conector to extract the information from SAP. I receive the information from SAP in a DataTable, the problem here is that I dont how to return this DataTable to VB6 COM. I made a test, and I can return a String to COM and basic types, but I dont know how to do it with this DataTable.Thanks for your helpI really appreciate. One alternative might be to add the DataTable to a DataSet and then convert the DataSet to an XML string using WriteXml(). That said, quic...

.NET to COM question ( Dictionary in COM and .NET dictionary)
 I need to write a data access code to replace the method of GetPerson() in COM data access, since the existing method is too slow. .NET can reduce the database round trips by using the dataset. The existing COM data access will stay except the GetPerson() method. So I am going to call the .NET getPerson() mehtod from the COM,  The original GetPerson() method in COM just go to data base, pull data from 7 tables and write to dictionary.  If the .NET getPerson() can populate the COM Dictionary, that would be great! I know .NET object can be directly assign t...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Getting Start With .net

how to get start with .NET

.NET classes hindering .net assembly from being com?
I posted an earlier thread about instanciating a .net assembly from a com client, like an asp page. My problem was that no matter what I did, I could not get the class to instaciate, so I could not call any methods on that class. After quite a bit of trial and error, as far as weak and strong named assemblies, GAC, etc, I came to the conclusion that the object WAS being referenced properly, therefore it was not a problem getting access to the object's class declaration. My problem was that everytime I called a method on the object, I got a "object not set to instance" error. ...

Call to non .net COM not working after .NET
I have developed small samples of ASP.NET and one of them I tried to call a standard COM (non .NET). I took the code out for now, but a call to that COM from traditional ASP application now does not work. Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?...

How to get RS (From VB6) to .NET (VB.NET)
Hi Friends,         I have requirement, there is one function in VB6 it returns a RS, I need to call that function in  VB.NET, how to get those values into .NET, if can any body can help (pass me some code snippets), that will be greate, Thank you.Madhu... -Madhu hey guys i got this one just by using fill method.-Madhu...

I am not getting my mail open on my net as net is running
Name: Email: rmbala91atgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: I am not getting my mail open on my net as net is running Comments: My mail is not getting opening. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Getting started with JScript.NET

.Net Application generators
There are a few .Net complete n-tier application generators that generate directly from your database. Some even have their own database building tools. They are great and easy to follow and their applications generate real VB.Net and C# code, easy to learn. These are great starts for .Net stuff except for one thing, PRICE. Iron Speed is about $1500 and for the same exact product features ASPNetNow sells for only $279 for their Web Matrix version or $530 for VS version. Another company Avalanche sells for $995. Amazing price ranges. The first two match feature for feature except the first yo...

net send in .net