Cast from type 'Field' to type 'String' is not valid

I am getting the error msg on this code...

Response.Write(objRSCount("iCount") & " records for " & frmDispOption & " '" & frmText & "'. They are listed below:")

I have tried converting the frmDispOption and frmText variables to strings using CStr after getting the values from the DB but still get the same msg.  Can someone please help me out, thanks.

David.
0
dpracilio

What is "objRSCount"?  ie what type is it?
0
Aidy
8/7/2006 8:26:46 AM
You also need to make sure that objRSCount("iCount") is string.

Thanks

Mark post(s) as "Answer" that helped you

Electronic Screw
Website||Blog||Dub@i.net
0
e_screw
8/7/2006 10:10:37 AM
Hi, i fixed it by appending the .value to objRS("iCount"), so its like objRS("iCount").value

Thanks for your help.

David.
0
dpracilio

Cast from type 'HttpCookie' to type 'String' is not valid
Hi. I am currently storing data in a cookie (an ID from a database) which i then want to retrieve and use to generate a file name for an uploaded file later on, which will be stored on disk. I get the error "Cast from type 'HttpCookie' to type 'String' is not valid". I assume i need to find a way to convert the data to string? A little help pleeeze, code examples too ;-) Sounds like you may have missed specifing the value property. If you're trying to get the value into a string variable, for instance, something like this: (VB) Dim var As String var = R...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
I REALLY need some help, so here goes. The following function does work as long as the "mail" field in the database isn't NULL. As you can see I have tried a couple of ways to check for a NULL value but none of them seem to work. What's supposed to happen is the function checks to see whether or not a user has an email address in the database. If so, then the email address gets returned, if no email address then I need something back from the function so I can go about another way to get the info to the user. Public Function GetReqByEmail(ByVal reqby As String) As String...

Cast from type 'ListItem' to type 'String' is not valid
Hi I am getting this error message when I try to view the sql of my insert command in the Oldbcommand1.commandtext statement. can somebody help me. The insert statement is as follows: (Most of the seesions are strings and the others come from a list item value (listitem.selecteditem.value) OleDbCommand1.CommandText = "insert into wlc_mvts values ('" & trs & "','" & Session("payment_mode") & "','" & Session("freight") _ & "','" & Session("red_clause") & "','&...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
Hi, I have a page with several textboxes...it's a "change your account" page. One of the parameters is presented as a label instead since it is not changed ON THIS PAGE. It needs to be NULL when the account is created and entered later. But when the page loads, I get the above error. The account row is loaded from a business object LoadFromId(). How can I load the page even though this label data is NULL to start with? relevent code below. <asp:Label ID="lblDDAccount" Runat="server"></asp:Label>------If currentUser.DDAccount = "" Then       &...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
Ok, that is the error... "Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. " I am filling a DataSet from the db and some fields are empty. Reading from it and placing the info into a label. Code below.... Sub getProductInfo() Dim DSprod2 As New DataSet() Dim MyCommand As OleDbDataAdapter sql = "Select * from tblProducts Where fldNum = " & intfldNum MyCommand = New OleDbDataAdapter(sql, conn) MyCommand.Fill(DSprod2, "tblProducts") lblProd.Text = DSprod2.Tables("...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
 Hi all,Sorry to be posting here on what is probably a common enough error but I am at my wits end with this one. Quite simply I call an Update stored procedure in my code, passing in a number of paramaters. However, when I try to run the code, the following exception is thrown:Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not validI'm really not sure what the problem is here. I have tried hardcoding values for the string values with no success also, as well as using the IsNothing function, but no joy there eitherI would really appreciate someones help as I spent 2 hou...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
Hi,  I have an old website and old database (SQL 2000).  I add new column "ImageURL' to database, so all data (several thousand items) are "NULL" (actually is dbNull) under this column.  In searchResult.aspx page, inside the datagrid, I add a colummn call "Image" <code> <asp:datagrid id="dgSearchResult" runat="server"><Columns><asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Image" ItemStyle-Width="55px" ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign=Center> <ItemTemplate> <asp:Image ID=ThumbImage Wi...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
On the viewproduct page if any of the db fields referenced in the SP are empty you get the above error, the error originates in the productsDB.vb file as follows myProductDetails.ModelNumber = CStr(parameterModelNumber.Value) myProductDetails.ModelName = CStr(parameterModelName.Value) myProductDetails.ProductImage = CStr(parameterProductImage.Value).Trim() myProductDetails.UnitCost = CType(parameterUnitCost.Value, Decimal) myProductDetails.Description = CStr(parameterDescription.Value).Trim() OK I can make ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
How would I check to make sure my SQL db is not pulling a null value? I'm using the following code and I get the 'Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.' error. If (dtrUserDetails("D_Address2") Is System.DBNull.Value) Then _Address2 = "" Else _Address2 = dtrUserDetails("D_Address2") End If Any help would be much appreciated. Change your line to _Address2=dtrUserDetails("D_Address2") & "" The empty string in the end will convert the filed to a string ...

Cast from type 'Byte()' to type 'String' is not valid.
Hello - I need to use the id from one query to throw into another query. Thing is the id in the first database is in the format: 0x00000000000227F1 but when it shows in a data grid. it just shows: Byte[] Array I need to get the value of Byte[] Array as a string in the format: 0x00000000000227F1 When I query it in query analyzer, it shows as: 0x00000000000227F1 but, like I say, in my data grid , it just shows as Byte[] Array So when I try to use it in a query I get the error: Cast from type 'Byte()' to type 'String' is not valid. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #3
Hi Everyone, I am trying this very simple select statement and storing my information into arrays but i am receiving the above error whenever the field has a NULL as value.I have looked at other similar post in this forum and know that i need to check if the string is empty but somehow i do not know the exact syntax to do this check.  Please help. Dim conAct As SqlConnectionDim cmdSelectAct As SqlCommandDim dtrAct As SqlDataReaderconAct = New SqlConnection("etc etc")conAct.Open()cmdSelectAct = New SqlCommand("Select EMPLID,USERID etc etc  from TABLE where STATUS='I'", conAct)...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid #2
G'day, Puzzled by this. The error occurs on the field "Mobile" yet its format is exactly the same as the other fields. In otherwords I can remove the line of code dealing with "Mobile" and it will function. Can anyone explain? The error is : Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. <%#ifPresent("Phone:",Container.DataItem("Phone"))%> <%#ifPresent("Fax:",Container.DataItem("Fax"))%> <%#ifPresent("Mobile:",Container.DataItem("Mobile"))%> <%#ifPre...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #2
i have an login page which use e-mail address and password to login , once the system comfirm this is valid login it get customer details and in my login page i have the following code Dim loginsystem As onlineshop.Customers = New onlineshop.Customers() Dim customerId As String = loginsystem.customer_login(login.email_address, login.password) If customerId <> "" Then Dim customerDetails As onlineshop.customer_Detail = loginsystem.Get_Customer_Details(customerid) and at the onlineshop.customer_detail function i have the following ...

Web resources about - Cast from type 'Field' to type 'String' is not valid - asp.net.getting-started