Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid #2

G'day,

Puzzled by this.
The error occurs on the field "Mobile" yet its format is exactly the same as the other fields.
In otherwords I can remove the line of code dealing with "Mobile" and it will function.
Can anyone explain?
The error is :
Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.

<%#ifPresent("Phone:",Container.DataItem("Phone"))%>
<%#ifPresent("Fax:",Container.DataItem("Fax"))%>
<%#ifPresent("Mobile:",Container.DataItem("Mobile"))%>
<%#ifPresent("PhoneAH:",Container.DataItem("PhoneAH"))%>

Function ifPresent(ByVal title As String, ByVal thisValue As String) As String
If Val(thisValue) = 0 Then
Return ""
Else
Return title & " " & thisValue & "<br>"
End If
End Function

0
geoffHome

Check the values where this data is being pulled out of. I believe there is an entry for Phone, Fax, and PhoneAH...but nothing is there for Mobile.
0
zyxockjm
10/26/2004 12:17:24 AM

<%#ifPresent("Mobile:",Container.DataItem("Mobile").ToString())%>
Always add the ToString method if you need to assume a value for a variable in a situation like this.
Cheers,

Peter Brunone
MS MVP, ASP.NET
Founder, EasyListBox.com
Do the impossible, and go home early.
0
peterbrunone
10/28/2004 8:37:40 PM
Peter, Thanks Sooo much!
0
geoffHome

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #2
i have an login page which use e-mail address and password to login , once the system comfirm this is valid login it get customer details and in my login page i have the following code Dim loginsystem As onlineshop.Customers = New onlineshop.Customers() Dim customerId As String = loginsystem.customer_login(login.email_address, login.password) If customerId <> "" Then Dim customerDetails As onlineshop.customer_Detail = loginsystem.Get_Customer_Details(customerid) and at the onlineshop.customer_detail function i have the following ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #2
I think this is a bug, the database of Products are allowed to have "Null" Value, but when you do have one, the store is crashed with subjected message, I have found a solution to use View to change the Null value into something when run the SQL store procedure, but I don't know if is there anyway from "Class" side to solve it. Always check for Null before trying to convert the value to a string or assign to a text or label. Try this: If Not(IsDbNull(drProducts("foo"))) Then ...insert your code to display here... End If mix it up! www.devalch...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
I REALLY need some help, so here goes. The following function does work as long as the "mail" field in the database isn't NULL. As you can see I have tried a couple of ways to check for a NULL value but none of them seem to work. What's supposed to happen is the function checks to see whether or not a user has an email address in the database. If so, then the email address gets returned, if no email address then I need something back from the function so I can go about another way to get the info to the user. Public Function GetReqByEmail(ByVal reqby As String) As String...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
Ok, that is the error... "Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. " I am filling a DataSet from the db and some fields are empty. Reading from it and placing the info into a label. Code below.... Sub getProductInfo() Dim DSprod2 As New DataSet() Dim MyCommand As OleDbDataAdapter sql = "Select * from tblProducts Where fldNum = " & intfldNum MyCommand = New OleDbDataAdapter(sql, conn) MyCommand.Fill(DSprod2, "tblProducts") lblProd.Text = DSprod2.Tables("...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
Hi, I have a page with several textboxes...it's a "change your account" page. One of the parameters is presented as a label instead since it is not changed ON THIS PAGE. It needs to be NULL when the account is created and entered later. But when the page loads, I get the above error. The account row is loaded from a business object LoadFromId(). How can I load the page even though this label data is NULL to start with? relevent code below. <asp:Label ID="lblDDAccount" Runat="server"></asp:Label>------If currentUser.DDAccount = "" Then       &...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
How would I check to make sure my SQL db is not pulling a null value? I'm using the following code and I get the 'Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.' error. If (dtrUserDetails("D_Address2") Is System.DBNull.Value) Then _Address2 = "" Else _Address2 = dtrUserDetails("D_Address2") End If Any help would be much appreciated. Change your line to _Address2=dtrUserDetails("D_Address2") & "" The empty string in the end will convert the filed to a string ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
Hi,  I have an old website and old database (SQL 2000).  I add new column "ImageURL' to database, so all data (several thousand items) are "NULL" (actually is dbNull) under this column.  In searchResult.aspx page, inside the datagrid, I add a colummn call "Image" <code> <asp:datagrid id="dgSearchResult" runat="server"><Columns><asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Image" ItemStyle-Width="55px" ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign=Center> <ItemTemplate> <asp:Image ID=ThumbImage Wi...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid
 Hi all,Sorry to be posting here on what is probably a common enough error but I am at my wits end with this one. Quite simply I call an Update stored procedure in my code, passing in a number of paramaters. However, when I try to run the code, the following exception is thrown:Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not validI'm really not sure what the problem is here. I have tried hardcoding values for the string values with no success also, as well as using the IsNothing function, but no joy there eitherI would really appreciate someones help as I spent 2 hou...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.
On the viewproduct page if any of the db fields referenced in the SP are empty you get the above error, the error originates in the productsDB.vb file as follows myProductDetails.ModelNumber = CStr(parameterModelNumber.Value) myProductDetails.ModelName = CStr(parameterModelName.Value) myProductDetails.ProductImage = CStr(parameterProductImage.Value).Trim() myProductDetails.UnitCost = CType(parameterUnitCost.Value, Decimal) myProductDetails.Description = CStr(parameterDescription.Value).Trim() OK I can make ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #3
Hi Everyone, I am trying this very simple select statement and storing my information into arrays but i am receiving the above error whenever the field has a NULL as value.I have looked at other similar post in this forum and know that i need to check if the string is empty but somehow i do not know the exact syntax to do this check.  Please help. Dim conAct As SqlConnectionDim cmdSelectAct As SqlCommandDim dtrAct As SqlDataReaderconAct = New SqlConnection("etc etc")conAct.Open()cmdSelectAct = New SqlCommand("Select EMPLID,USERID etc etc  from TABLE where STATUS='I'", conAct)...

Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid #2
I'm getting a error message saying: Server Error in '/' Application. Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid.Source Error: Line 113: </h3> Line 114: ...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid. #3
help anybody.. it has been 2 weeks since i got out of this error.. please anybody share their insights on this here is my code. Populate Struct using Output Params from SPROC Line 86: myCustomerDetails.FullName = CStr(parameterFullName.Value) ---ERROR!! Line 87: myCustomerDetails.Password = CStr(parameterPassword.Value) Line 88: myCustomerDetails.Email = CStr(parameterEmail.Value) Of course. They are not the same thing. casting requires the objects to implement either a common ancestor or interface to cast to. Use ToStrin...

Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'Integer' is not valid. #2
Hello every one.I have a store database procedure that give me back this error: "Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'Integer' is not valid" How can I get where is exactly the error....???TIA  This seems to be a .NET exception. Post the code how you pass values to the parameters and execute the stored procedureWelcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38 HiIn the procedure you can use the following coe for the null field Isnull(Fieldname,"value when the field is null") Hope this helpsVikram Vikr...

Web resources about - Cast from type 'DBNull' to type 'String' is not valid #2 - asp.net.getting-started