Can you help me get started?

Hi all,

All i wanted to do was just build a website, upload it and reap in the millions.....

I dunno, its 3:48am and my head has just exploded

Can anyone tell me why im movin stuff around in my design view of Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition ( ooh err mrs ), and once viewed in my web browser - the things i thought i just moved, havent moved at all - i dont get it - i dont know enough html so im buggered in that sence, i do look at the code ( i was - in me younger days a Borland Turbo C++ programmer but aint touched that field for years ) and some stuff i actually understand but it seems just addin someink stoopid like a space, shifts all me lovely little boxes around.

Do they make a better editor ? or is it me, and another thing thats really freakin me out, is that i can run the website on my .....er.....local....virtual.... thingy server ..... but when i upload it to my hosting company ....i get all sorts of " cant find this...cant find that.....not gonna do anythin you ask apart from wind you up " error messages.

Yeah yeah - i know im not bein specific, im just airing my head - why is it that the questions that im getting now after installing as required and doin wot im told, are already on the net in forums and tons of people are helping eachother to fix em? Dont you lot get fed up with it ?

Why cant they just invent a program that actually works and does what they say itll do eh lol

Anyway, my point is that if your not a top notch programmer, how the blimmin ell are you sposed to get a nice secure good old website up and runnin for the world to see eh?

Im gonna go get another glass of Bells on ice, a bar of Cadburys ( without the Salmenella ) and stick another Kylie DVD on and drown me sorrows.....

Anyone else that feels the same way, drop me a line and ill send ya a christmas card lol

Sim

0
Shimm

Shimm:
Do they make a better editor ? or is it me
It's you.

When you go out to replace that bottle of Bells, you can buy a copy of ASP.NET 2.0 for Dummies.  I am not being sardonic, as this book is truly a great way to get started with ASP.NET 2.0.

Alister
0
SomeNewKid
7/27/2006 3:24:57 AM

!! LOL !!  Hiccup !!

im gonna do that - cheers arry BUT, you still aint explained it for me av ya

some people would get offended by your "its you." statement - not me though ;-)

i do understand that there are several millions of books n downloads n help forums n blah blah blah out there that a humble "dummie" such as myself could get hold of etc but i was, hoping, yes thats the right word, that somebody would just say....do this mate....to help me out so i could get on with some other stuff. I thought that was what forums were for ..... help?

Still, i WILL ave a look for that book as obviously i do need to grasp the basics so that i can complete my mission, but come on, a beginner,doin it the way they tell ya to do it, checking it, double checkin it and then doing it all over again and then finding out that the errors are caused by their software.....surely you can see my point?

Cheers

0
Shimm
7/27/2006 4:06:46 AM

Shimm:
I thought that was what forums were for ..... help?
You didn't actually ask a question, so it was not possible to provide you with specific help.

Moreover, I try to provide a beginner with the help they need, not necessarily the help he or she has requested.  In your case, maybe I could have answered your question.  But I know that you will then move on and immediately hit another problem.  And then another.  And another.

I know, from my own experience and from watching beginners on these forums, that the best answer is often to "buy a book".  You see, there is a huge difference between knowing an answer (click ButtonX to fix this problem) and understanding an answer.  Those beginners who try to fumble their way through learning ASP.NET, by following an online tutorial or two, invariably hit problem after problem after problem.  They may ask a question on these forums and receive an answer, but they do not understand the answer.  This means that when they next come upon the same or a similar problem, they again have to ask for help.

On the other hand, some beginners start learning by working through books.  On these forums, we can see these beginners improving.  Their questions get more advanced, and the way in which they pose the questions shows that they are truly understanding ASP.NET.

So that is why, when I see an open-ended message such as your own, I recommend buying a book.  It may not be the answer you were looking for, but I honestly believe that it is the right answer for you.

Alister
0
SomeNewKid
7/27/2006 5:03:40 AM

lol, now thats what i call an answer - doesnt help me in the least with what i wanna do, BUT if you answer all of my questions just like that - i wont need to read any books - brilliant answer lol

crisp - clean, very informative and straight to the point.

I actually went back and re-read my original post as youd stated that i hadnt asked a question - and lo and behold - your quite right lol - i forgot to write it - that mustve been the booze talkin eh.

and so i will attatch the question here for your perousal ....

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'.

Source Error:

Line 8:      \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
Line 9:  -->
Line 10: <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
Line 11:     <appSettings/>
Line 12:     <connectionStrings/>

Source File: d:\s\h\shimm\www\web.config    Line: 10

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

it happens once ive uploaded to my hosting company using MS VWD 2005 Express

other people have said to go into IIS on my local machine and change the version number for .NET from  1.1 to 2.0 but still nothing changes.

I get the impression that there are files stored on my local machine that allow the site to run, but when i copy/paste the site up to the host, the files are still ( again - im assuming ) looking for the original folders etc on my hard drive, instead of on theirs. I tried removing the configuration line but then other weirdy errors appear instead. That then made me think - Oh god no - i gotta build me own web.config file and all the tutorials that ive been through just dont give enough info to do that.

Hence my original post of  "why dont it work when they say it will" - they should cater for this in my opinion. Otherwise whats the point of pulling people like me in that are quite happy to use Frontpage 2003 to build me website in. I download their new wonderful programs and cant get the buggas to work. If you see my meaning.

Anyway, sorry to take up loads of your time with irellevant chit chat but im used to Call Of Duty forums and not ones that are up market like these.

Awaiting your earliiest reply with eagerness lol.

Sim

0
Shimm
7/27/2006 5:55:09 PM
Shimm:
it happens once ive uploaded to my hosting company using MS VWD 2005 Express

Shimm:
other people have said to go into IIS on my local machine and change the version number for .NET from  1.1 to 2.0 but still nothing changes.

Changing the IIS settings on your local machine has no bearing on the IIS settings on your host's server.  You need to use your host's administrative utility to tell it that your website needs ASP.NET 2.0.  You should contact your host on how to do this if it is not apparent from their provided administrative utility.

I suggest using Google to search for specific error messages you may be receiving.  This is the quickest self-serve way to resolve problems.  And, has Alister has suggested, reading a good book, such as ASP.NET 2.0 Unleashed, is the best way to truly learn this stuff.  From that solid foundation you will have a lot more confidence and ability to troubleshoot your problems.  Books, the MSDN Library, and Google are my main references, as well as the Search function on these forums.

Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm?
How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm? I setup the conky under fvwm session for my Opensuse 11 but it won't start automatically. I am wondering how to write some kind of scripts to force it to start automatically and with a delay about 10 seconds after fvwm starts. Thanks a lot. :P -- ggyyree ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Maybe this will help you: 'Conky Hardcore! � ssc.sh' (http://conky.linux-hardcore.com/?page_id=503) -- Coffee is like Linux, only cool people use it. Tea is like W...

Getting started.. What can really help?
Hello everybody!I saw that this website has a plenty of material in the "GET STARTED" section.. Nevertheless, I felt the need of writing here in the hope somebody could help me in selecting a subset of really-useful-material worth of reading/watching...I am a computer eng. student and I can program in several languages (among them, PHP, Java, C) and I'm now assigned a project whose result has to look like this website: http://www.romecityapartments.com/. Since I don't program in PHP since a lot of time, and I have to spend some effort in the startup phase anyway, I'd li...

Can someone please help me get started
I am wanting to use the TimeTracker SDK (I had this about 3 years ago, so I know what it does). I've downloaded the copy from the site, which gives me a file: Time.vsi (536kb) ... I cannot open this file type, for whatever reason, so have renamed it Time.zip, which then opens revealing the following folders: App_Code --> BLL  and the following files: ProjectComparation.vb (1kb), TimeEntry.vb (2kb) and UserReport.vb (1kb). This is all. I cannot extract these files either. What has happened to the original TimeTracker, which was about 4MB in size and very comprehensive. I am ...

where can i get a complete tutorial that will get me seriously started on using the objectdatasource effectively
It looks like using the objectdatasource is the way to go. will some one point to a tutorial that will get me seriously started on using the objectdatasource effectively.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- http://www.asp.net/learn/dataaccess/default.aspx?tabid=63Orhttp://www.imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?quickdoc=416 First one uses typed datasets, second one uses custom business objects.  Both excellent tutorials. Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site...

Help me getting started
I am new to ssrs, Iam facing the following problem with reportviewer parameter 1) I have a dataset added to the project under app_code which has the following querry select * from emp 2) In the rdlc i have two columns empname,deptid,i have added a parameter called deptid with type as int 3) I have a webpage with reportviewer i have mapped the reportviewer to the rdlc file and datasource 4)on click of a button i want to display emp details from a particular deptid alone , so i added these lines on click of the buttonReportViewer1.ShowReportBody = true; ReportParameter rpt = new Re...

Help getting started
We have a point if sale application running in all our stores using SQLA (7.03) - This is PC based and has been running for several years. We are currently looking at giving the salesperson a hand-held device that contains a 'price-list' for the goods that he can cary around the store. The data for the price list would be a sub-set of the stores database. What tools would I need to do this i.e Whats the best hand-held device for this, Would we need a new development system (we develop in Delphi). Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Mark Delphi al...

Getting Start With .net

More help getting started
I mapped a network drive on my XP PC (as Administrator) to the folder on the IIS server: \\IISSERVER\Program Files\ASP.NET Starter Kits\ASP.NET TimeTracker (VBSDK) I can open a file in WebMatrix, but I cannot save it.  When I go to the webserver and change the attributes on the folder by removing "Read only" and apply and OK, it does NOT work.  I can immediately go back into properties and see that it is still read only. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Bryan...

Help Getting Started
I need to create a COM component that can be called from an ASP.NET web page for a proof of concept (and I am a PowerBuilder developer, so a lot of this is greek to me). The way it is supposed to be architected is as follows: the web server will have the ASPX page, and the application server will run a component via Component Services. I have been struggling with find a tutorial (the one from MSDN didn't really work). I have a component on the app server with an application name of SimpleTrans. The component is named VBServCOM.VBServCOM and it has a public method of DoTrans() - all it ...

how to get start with .NET

Help Getting Started.
Was looking for some advice on how to get started designing websites using asp.net. I have experience in html and asp.net c#, my problem is designing and understanding how to successfully lay out the website so it looks good. Any advice? Thanks. The easiest way to learn is to look at how sites that you like have been done.  Use the View Source option in your browser to see how pages have been laid out in html and also have a look at the associated style sheet to see the design and layout secrets.  If you install FireFox, just hitting Ctrl + Shift + C will show you the style sheet...

Help getting started
Im very new to this whole thing, but i learn fast and already have a decent understanding of what i am doing. What I would like to know is; I have installed webmatrix, and the community starter kit.  I would like to edit the pages of the community starter kit with web matrix so that I can completely customize the layout, pictures and links as Im sure everyone does. The problem is I cannot seem to find the correct page to open with web matrix so that I can visualy see what I am doing.  I dont even know if it is possible to do it, but why wouldnt it be? It would be a great help if...

Web resources about - Can you help me get started? - asp.net.getting-started

Can't Stop This Thing We Started - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Can't Stop This Thing We Started " is a song by Canadian singer and songwriter Bryan Adams . The song was written by Adams and Robert John ...

Facebook On Advertising, Monetization During 3Q Earnings Call: We’re Just Getting Started
A common theme during Facebook’s third-quarter earnings call Tuesday was the fact that many of the social network’s monetization efforts launched ...

Almost finished with the first building. So let’s get started on another!
A little more than a year ago, we announced that Altoona would be the home for our newest data center. Since then, more than 460 people, mostly ...

Getting Started with the Facebook SDK for Android v3.0 - Facebook-Entwickler
%FB(devsite:image &#123;&quot;src&quot;: &quot;[asset:469109233122209]&quot;, &quot;width&quot;:136,...

Facebook Exchange: what it is and who to work with to get started
... they did not reply to our requests for information. AdRoll Self-serve software or managed services? Both. Minimum spend or cost to get started? ...

tonyhaile.com - Revolutions Started, Alligators Wrestled, Uprisings Quelled
I should say this is a story about an expedition, a grand adventure, a test of human endurance. I should say that. This is a story about failure. ...

Getting started with login verificati
... whose accounts have been compromised... Skip to main content Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs Getting started ...

iPhone 7 rumours have started already with facial recognition log-in
Of course, this won&#39;t come as a complete surprise to the biometrics industry as it has been predicted for some time and no doubt Samsung ...

How do I get started in angel investing?
Answer (1 of 9): For dealflow, check out Y Combinator and the other incubators that are popping up all over the world. Also check out AngelList. For ...

Twist and Go - Everything you need to get started on a scooter on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Twist and Go - Everything you need to get started on a scooter. ...