Can anyone help me get started with ASP.NET please?

Hi - Firstly  - thanks for looking at my post!

As I put above - I am looking to start creating applications in ASP.NET rather than the traditional ASP.

I just want to get some basic information on this first and some key benefits (so I can sell the idea to my boss!)

1) What do I need to start?
                 i)  Do I need to download any software to create an Environment?
                     i.e. Setting up a virtual folder simular to IIS?

2) Can I create my .ASPX pages in Notepad/Crimson Editor/Ultra Edit etc or do I have to use Visual Studio.NET software?

3) What are the setup cost's?

Cant think of any more questions at the moment, but I'm sure I will once I've posted this question!  ;)  If you can think of anything else please add.
I really think I could do with a step by step guide to starting up and a checklist of what is needed  - so if anyone can help - it would be apprecaited.

ANY advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Stu
0
Pigdogmonster

 Pigdogmonster wrote:

1) What do I need to start?
                 i)  Do I need to download any software to create an Environment?
                     i.e. Setting up a virtual folder simular to IIS?

Easiest way is on Windows 2003 with IIS Installed.

 Pigdogmonster wrote:

2) Can I create my .ASPX pages in Notepad/Crimson Editor/Ultra Edit etc or do I have to use Visual Studio.NET software?

Yes.  You will need to use the Framework SDK.  But...it is MUCH easier to compile and debug if you are using VS.NET

 Pigdogmonster wrote:

3) What are the setup cost's?

Depends on your current infrastructure.  Do you have a server?  Are you hosting it somewhere else? etc.  How many developers will you need to have licesnses for VS.NET. etc.

Chuck Boyer, MCSD .NET
Director of Production and Development
Edge Media Design
0
chuck
7/18/2005 5:00:35 PM
You could also check the Tutorials link in the main menu (up).

Regards

Bilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Telerik MVP
0
haidar_bilal
7/18/2005 6:15:37 PM
Hi there,

I will also recommend you to have a look at this page..

http://www.geekswithblogs.net/evjen/archive/2004/12/10/learnaspnet.aspx

Hope this helps

Sunny

Sunny NAGI
Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

longhorn2005

Can someone please help me get started
I am wanting to use the TimeTracker SDK (I had this about 3 years ago, so I know what it does). I've downloaded the copy from the site, which gives me a file: Time.vsi (536kb) ... I cannot open this file type, for whatever reason, so have renamed it Time.zip, which then opens revealing the following folders: App_Code --> BLL  and the following files: ProjectComparation.vb (1kb), TimeEntry.vb (2kb) and UserReport.vb (1kb). This is all. I cannot extract these files either. What has happened to the original TimeTracker, which was about 4MB in size and very comprehensive. I am ...

Getting Start With .net

how to get start with .NET

Can someone please help me to get started on installing c++ builder 5.5?
Hi, I'm new at this and have just downloaded C++ Builder 5.5 and don't understand the readme files instructions. I'm running XP Pro. Charles Moore wrote: > Hi, > > I'm new at this and have just downloaded C++ Builder 5.5 and don't > understand the readme files instructions. I'm running XP Pro. Hi Charles Have a look at this article: http://dn.codegear.com/article/20997 Kind regards Asger > {quote:title=Charles Moore wrote:}{quote} > Hi, > > I'm new at this and have just downloaded C++ Builder 5.5 and don'...

Storing Business Rules for Tables
Hello all, We are going to begin storing business rules as part of our table properties (PowerDesigner 12.5 current release). What I would like to ask this group is the following: 1. We would like to use a naming standard for these business rules. Before we go guessing up a naming standard, maybe one of you would like to share your standard for business rule tracking? 2. To enforce the standard, I would like to implement a script that will automagically create the business rule names (hopefully both logical names business reports and abbreviated physical names for tech...

help help help with getting started
I have a simple page with this code: <%@ Page Language="vb" Debug="true" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %> <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.SQLClient" %> <script runat="server"> sub Page_load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) if not ispostback then 'create connection Dim Conn As SqlConnection = New SqlConnection 'create data adapter Dim dataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter 'create dataset Dim dataview...

Getting started .net website

Getting started with JScript.NET

Can you help me get started?
Hi all, All i wanted to do was just build a website, upload it and reap in the millions..... I dunno, its 3:48am and my head has just exploded Can anyone tell me why im movin stuff around in my design view of Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express Edition ( ooh err mrs ), and once viewed in my web browser - the things i thought i just moved, havent moved at all - i dont get it - i dont know enough html so im buggered in that sence, i do look at the code ( i was - in me younger days a Borland Turbo C++ programmer but aint touched that field for years ) and some stuff i actually understand ...

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

Noobie Help
Hi,I'm tyring to build a very simple code sample that does a DB Insert.Here is a code sample I found: HookedOnLINQ db = new HookedOnLINQ("Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=HookedOnLINQ"); // Adding Records – (1) Create a new object and sub-objects, // (2) Add it to the DataContext collection, (3) Call SubmitChanges // (1) Contacts newContact = new Contacts(); newContact.FirstName = "Troy"; newContact.LastName = "Magennis"; // (2) newContact.Orders.Add(newOrder); db.Contacts.Add(newContact); // (3) db.SubmitChan...

How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm?
How can I get conky start automatically when I start fvwm? I setup the conky under fvwm session for my Opensuse 11 but it won't start automatically. I am wondering how to write some kind of scripts to force it to start automatically and with a delay about 10 seconds after fvwm starts. Thanks a lot. :P -- ggyyree ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Maybe this will help you: 'Conky Hardcore! � ssc.sh' (http://conky.linux-hardcore.com/?page_id=503) -- Coffee is like Linux, only cool people use it. Tea is like W...

Can not get Pickup Directory... .net can't access metabase maybe??? Need to get working ASAP
I am using 2.0 to try to send an email to the IisPickup directorySystem.Net.Mail.MailMessage message = new System.Net.Mail.MailMessage(test@testing.com, "test@test.com", "Testing " + DateTime.Now.ToString(), "Testing the Mail Drop Folder");System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient client = new System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient("127.0.0.1");client.DeliveryMethod = System.Net.Mail.SmtpDeliveryMethod.PickupDirectoryFromIis; client.Send(message);Example Site : www.andrewworral.com (hit the button)This code worked on our old deployment server but not on our new server.  I s...

Web resources about - Can anyone help me get started with ASP.NET please? - asp.net.getting-started

Can't Stop This Thing We Started - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Can't Stop This Thing We Started " is a song by Canadian singer and songwriter Bryan Adams . The song was written by Adams and Robert John ...

Facebook On Advertising, Monetization During 3Q Earnings Call: We’re Just Getting Started
A common theme during Facebook’s third-quarter earnings call Tuesday was the fact that many of the social network’s monetization efforts launched ...

Almost finished with the first building. So let’s get started on another!
A little more than a year ago, we announced that Altoona would be the home for our newest data center. Since then, more than 460 people, mostly ...

Getting Started with the Facebook SDK for Android v3.0 - Facebook-Entwickler
%FB(devsite:image &#123;&quot;src&quot;: &quot;[asset:469109233122209]&quot;, &quot;width&quot;:136,...

Facebook Exchange: what it is and who to work with to get started
... they did not reply to our requests for information. AdRoll Self-serve software or managed services? Both. Minimum spend or cost to get started? ...

tonyhaile.com - Revolutions Started, Alligators Wrestled, Uprisings Quelled
I should say this is a story about an expedition, a grand adventure, a test of human endurance. I should say that. This is a story about failure. ...

Getting started with login verificati
... whose accounts have been compromised... Skip to main content Blog Have an account? Sign in Search form Search All Twitter Blogs Getting started ...

iPhone 7 rumours have started already with facial recognition log-in
Of course, this won&#39;t come as a complete surprise to the biometrics industry as it has been predicted for some time and no doubt Samsung ...

How do I get started in angel investing?
Answer (1 of 9): For dealflow, check out Y Combinator and the other incubators that are popping up all over the world. Also check out AngelList. For ...

Twist and Go - Everything you need to get started on a scooter on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Twist and Go - Everything you need to get started on a scooter. ...