Cache - working with Output Cache and SQL Server Cache

Hello,

could anyone point me to any resource/link/best practice explaining the use of the Sql Server cache used along with the Output cache?

Thanks.

VB .Net Coder - Apologize my C# nescience
Best Regards.
0
ByReckon

http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspnet/doc/caching/SQLInvalidation.aspx

-Brock

DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen
0
BrockAllen
7/25/2005 3:11:02 PM

Hi Brock,

If I use Output and SqlServer Cache, what happens? I mean, let's say I set a duration of 60 seconds for the Output Cache, and also I set the Sql Server Cache for a specific table in the same page. If nothing happens to the data of the aforementioned table, the Output cache will have a duration of those 60 seconds and will serve subsequent requests using the first one; however if the data changes, even if the cache duration has not expired, the SqlDependency class will force ASP.NET 2 to generate another version of the web-form, right?

Once more, thanks guru, for everything.

VB .Net Coder - Apologize my C# nescience
Best Regards.
0
ByReckon
7/25/2005 3:41:25 PM
The Output cache caches the rendered version of the page in memory. When requests come in for that page, the cached version is returned to the client. In 2.0 you can setup the dependancy on SqlServer. If the data in the database is updated, the cached page in memory is removed. Upon the next request, since there's no cached version, the page is reexecuted and it puts this latest version in the cache.

Normally withoutput caching HTTP headers are emitted to enable browser and proxy server caching. I've not yet tested to see how those work with the SqlCacheDependancy. It will either work one of two ways:

1) It disables browser and proxy server caching, meaning caching is only done on the server. Or,
2) It will cache on the browser, but then the browser won't know when the server cache is invalidated.

Again, I've not tested to know which of those two scenarios is the correct one. Either one has tradeoffs.

-Brock

DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen
0
BrockAllen

Caching, Caching,Caching,Caching,Caching Why nobody know???
I have posted this problem quite a few times but never got a decent answer and I have still not found a solution. Every time I have a gridview when the page is refreshed the data in the gridview does not refresh. You might say well and GridView.DataBind() to the pageload method but I think there is a performance problem if you bind your gridviews every time. For example I have a dropdownlist, a gridview and button and the gridview is supposed to refresh depending on the value in the dropdown when the button is pushed. if you click on the button the gridview data does not change unless y...

To cache or not to cache
It's a well known fact that it's a good practice to cache results of SQL queries. But here as everywhere we should limit ourselfs and not to cache everything, shouldn't we? ) For example, you know that in facebook you can enter information about yourself - first name, last name, all your schools, jobs and so on. This data changes very rarely. So, as books say this data is perfect to be cached. But, you see, there can be millions of users with there profiles in our cache. So.. to cache or not to cache? )  it is a good practice to use limited size content and low edit freque...

to cache or not to cache?
i have a toolbar at the top of all my web pages and I am not sure whether it is worth caching or not. this toolbar is in fact a search facility consisting of 4 dropdownlists. 3 of the DDL's are static and 1 is databound. i would like to make the whole toolbar into a user control and cache it. Q1. If one of the DDL's selected item has changed the user control must know not to load from the cache. is it possible to include this kind of logic to a cached user control? Q2. Is it worth caching my toolbar? Or should I just consider caching the 1 databound DDl instead? any help much apprec...

To Cache or Not To Cache?
Hello, I'd like the opinion of the community on this question. We've just completed a migration from Exchange 5.5 to GroupWise 7. Migration went well. Right now, everyone is using WebAccess but I am rolling out the GroupWise Windows client (with latest FTFs) along with an updated XP SP2 workstation image shortly, to the office people. They had been using Outlook with Exchange, no caching. We have 6 locations with office people. About 25 are local to the PO server. The other locations, ranging from 25 to 8 per location are connected to the PO server via a T-1 WAN lin...

To cache or not to cache ?
I am really confused here. What I have are two forms one is where I get metadata for a document and next page where the user uploads the file for that document. What I want is a link from upload page back to the metadata page with the fields still filled in (cached maybe ?) and a link that takes back to that page without cache...In other words..I want two links on upload page one that take users back to the metadata page with fields filled in from previous request and the other link which takes to metadata form with empty fields. I am not sure how to accomplish this. I tried using ca...

SQL Cache vs Cache
I read about the SQL 2005 Buffer Cache and the .NET cache.I tried it on about 8000 users query. Both are fast....SQL 2005 being a little faster (probably due to I was sorting the .NET Cache).Any comments? bump. anyone?...

Page Output Cache Configuration
Hi,I'd like to cache a page using the 'Page Output Cache' however ideally I'd like to cache it on the server for longer than I would like to cache it on the client e.g. I'd like to cache it on the server for an hour say and on the client for 15 minutes.Is this possible? And if so how?Thanks,Dalewww.creative-dreaming.com | www.independent-investor.com | www.buffettcup.com | www.thepropertyinvestmentshop.co.uk Hi,I think this can be implemeted with the combination of PageOutputCache and cache class.1. Set the page output cache to cache on client for 15 minutes2. Use cache object to cache som...

newbie's question,HttpResponse.Cache is server side cache or client side cache?
I mean if i want to cache some client-relate information,can i use the httpresponse.cache? The Cache object is server-side. Client caching is entirely controlled by the user's browser. So, you can only make suggestions to the client-side cache by using things like the Pragma-NoCache header....

page cached that should not be cached
Hi, Thanks for the support. I'm using ASP.NET 2 but my problem is that I have an asp.net web page called: extractimage.aspx that receive a query string parameter and returns an image, so I call it by: ~/inicio/extractimage.aspx?usu=25 I have a linkbutton in a grid with this link, so I refresh the Grid and the correct image should be shown. But when I change the image in other page and I try to refresh the Grid, the previous image is shown, not the new one. It seems the extractimage.aspx web page is cached and I do not want that, I would like the current image is always displayed, no...

how to clear out data cache, statement cache and procedure cache?
Hi there, does anyone know is there some commands to to clear out data cache, statement cache and procedure cache? (without recycle database server) And for both ASE 12.5 and ASE 15? we need to run some performance comparsion in ASE 12.5 and ASE 15. I'd make sure the data cache are similar and procedure/statement cache is clear (so cached query plan is not used) for each case. This all depends on the (very) specific version of ASE data cache: ------------ as of 15.0.3 - dbcc cachedataremove(dbid | dbname, objid | objname, partitionid | partitionname, indid | indexname)...

To Cache or Not to Cache...That is the Question
During the design phase of developing an ASP.NET application it is vital developers utilize the ASP.NET Cache feature.  A good “rule of thumb” when deciding when to use the caching feature is when data, pages, parts of pages are used more than once.  More specifically any data that is general in nature and does not change depending on specific user requests is a perfect scenario for caching.  This saves on time and overhead for collecting and creating reusable objects.  However, it is possible to use too much caching.  For example, on a 32-bit application process you...

.Net Caching Ughhhh (Micro-caching)
I'm designing an application where data is continuous and becomes dirty in a matter of seconds. The load is also high and therefore, to avoid straining the database server, i cache all data for a couple of seconds. That's fine. However, some data are HIGHLY VOLATILE and requires the most latest data...for these types of data, I use 1 second caching. I done benchmarks of 1-6 second caching and the benefits on a high load server is enormous. However there is a problem with this micro caching technique.....the problem is...some of the objects get destroyed as soon as it is pulled out. ...

Listing the pages that are cached by output cache
 Hi, Is it possible to list the pages that are currently cached using output cache?Are they cached using the Cache object or some other object? and how can I list them? Thanks, Dror.  Although, not exactly, but this post might helpin finding morehttp://www.vikramlakhotia.com/How_to_know_the_all_the_data_in_the_cache_of_an_AspNet_Application.aspx Vikram www.vikramlakhotia.comPlease mark the answer if it helped you  Thanks.This helped a bit. in the cache object there's a hashtable listing all the "Cached Items".They key is the path of the webpag...

Web resources about - Cache - working with Output Cache and SQL Server Cache - asp.net.getting-started

Working class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Working class (or lower class , labouring class, sometimes proletariat ) is a term used in the social sciences and in ordinary conversation to ...

Companies have tax questions to answer as working class taxpayers pay more tax than them
Why do working-class taxpayers pay more tax than large companies, in some cases literally and in many cases as a percentage of their income? ...

Washington State University working on marijuana breathalyzer
Filed under: Government/Legal , Safety , Technology A team of chemists at Washington State University is working with Chemring on a drugalyzer ...

UK government working with eBay and Amazon to catch tax-evading sellers
When it comes to tax avoidance, it's using big companies that come under the spotlight. Of course, there is nothing legally speaking wrong with ...

Co-working company enters Seattle by acquiring prominent Pioneer Square building
Home to mining companies during the Klondike Gold Rush, a handsome building in the heart of Pioneer Square is about to be turned into co-working ...

Time to start working on Ted #Cruzisstartingtoworrythem
Time to start working on Ted by digby For some reason I find myself on the email list of CNN contributor and GOPm strategist Alex Castellanos ...

'Star Wars' animator says 'I took LSD' while working on 'Return of the Jedi'
... Vice profiling his work, Tippett admits he was under the influence for at least one of the "Star Wars" movies. "I took LSD when I was working ...

Crews working to repair water main break on Morena Blvd - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB ...
A concrete water main broke early Saturday morning in the 4600 block of Morena Boulevard, depriving water service to several customers in the ...

JJ Abrams is sad he's not working on next "Star Wars"
How good is the script for the upcoming "Star Wars" sequel, following ​"The Force Awakens"?

Rockets players happy to be working Christmas
"It's a great opportunity to play," Dwight Howard said.