C# Windows App to C# Web App

I have a situation that reverses http://forums.asp.net/1011618/ShowPost.aspx

That says what is the best way to convert a windows app to a web app?

Any thought?
0
ngungo

It´s hard to say when you don´t tell us how you have built your application.

Do you use n-tier?

If you do, it´s not that hard to convert to a web form because you can use the same classes with no/a little changes on the BLL & DAL.
Mikael Söderström
0
Vimpyboy
8/7/2005 2:23:30 AM

Check if any of the following artilces will help you;

converting windows forms to asp.net web forms
http://www.suite4.net/products/form.suite4.net/win-web-forms/default.aspx

Converting WinForms => Web Forms using CodeDom
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/WinForms2WebForms.asp

Regards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP www.msdeveloper.info
0
narayanas
8/7/2005 6:18:42 AM
to Vimpyboy: Yes n-tier in a way. I will try hard. Thanks.

to narayanas: Thanks for the pointers. I decided that I rather do it manually to understand the code.
0
ngungo
8/7/2005 9:06:46 PM
I went out and bought a book, C# Web Development with ASP.NET, Jose Mojica, to speed up the learning curve a little.
0
ngungo

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

Start Xulrunner from custom C/C++ app
Hello, I was wondering if it would be possible to start/stop xulrunner from an external application (e.g.: simple C/C++ wrapper). My main objective to this approach, is to be able to stop xulrunner, update the application file and relaunch it. I've been attempting to use the information from this post https://wiki.mozilla.org/Embedding/NewApi to try it out, however I keep running into errors. By the date that post was last edited, I think it might be outdated :/. Also, I've read somewhere (can't recall where exactly) that embedding would be discontinued in future version...

Windows Service and a C# Web App
Not sure where else to post this, so here it goes... Right now i am writing a windows service that will run every 2 hours on a remote server.  located on this server is a web application that is going to serve as a GUI front end to the information that my windows service calculates.  The windows service is more or less going to be querying some databases and doing some data processing.  My goal is to be able to show the results of the data processing in a datagrid within the web application.  What I was wondering is what the best way to send data between a w...

Getting a C app on Unix to talk to a PB app on Unix?
I am trying to get a unix C application to call functions in a unix version of a powerbuilder application. The C Program need to get results back from the powerbuilder application. The powerbuilder application will be a distributed application server providing results back to PB frontends running on Windows clients and the unix application (which is an IVR). The platform is AIX. How can I trigger the powerbuilder functions from a C program, passing it some arguments and and get the results back to the calling program? (even if it is a delimited string of values). Is ther...

VB.NET Data Grid, windows app to web app
Is it possible to make a Web Application Data Grid element with identical functionality as a Windows Application Data Grid? When I run the code as a windows application, it allows me to make direct edits of each database record through the data grid. When I run the code through a browser, however, it only displays the records. This is the code:Any suggestions? Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Dim connstr As String = "data source=SERVER;initial catalog=DB;user id=USER;password=PASSWORD;" Dim sqlStr As String = "SELECT * FROM Users" Dim dt As New DataTable Private Sub btnLoad_Click(B...

convert vb.net to C# web App
Wat is the easiest way to convert VB.Net Window application to C# Web Application I recommend this website, as I've used it countless time and it seems to delivery. http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/vb-to-csharp/Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Check out http://www.dgwebit.co.uk I recommend this website, as I've used it countless times and it seems to delivery. http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/vb-to-csharp/Please remember to click ...

Migrate from C/S Power Builder App to Web Based App
My company is looking for any consultancy to help migrating PB application to WEB. Is there anyone can give some advice? Jeff My company, Intrinsic Systems, is has just completed converting a very complex PB 5.04 client/server, Oracle application; to PB 6.5. This conversion also included converting the application to thin client deployment by using the PB window plugin. The conversion was very successful. We are a PB and Oracle consulting provider and would be happy to talk to you regarding your requirements. Glen Fafara VP Intirnsic Systems Inc. glen@intrinsicsys.com Jeff ...

Web app to Windows app.
I’m new at this so please bear with me. In theory, is it possible to create a .net web application that can talk to a .net windows application? What I would like to accomplish is to use a .net web app to talk to Microsoft’s Windows Media Batch Encoder. Any comments are appreciated. Tome...

vb.net and c#.net same app
Been asked before, but... If I build a c# web app and someone builds a vb.net desktop app, can they communicate? and can you develop against it...ie..in my c# web app, can I add the vb.net desktop app as a reference? or at least make calls to it? web apps or desktop apps can contain components created in either language. i have a web solution that contains 4 projects. One of the projects is C# the others are VB.Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code sample in a different language? Try converting it with: http://converter.telerik.com/ Thanks...that is what I was looking for ...

C#.NET in VS.NET vs. C# in Web Matrix
Hi all, I am very new to .NET ... I realized C#.NET is only available from Visual Studio.NET ... however, I realized Web Matrix also allowed us to choose C# as language but not C#.NET ... they are not the same, right? If not, then why it's in Web Matrix which runs ASP.NET?? If I need to run C#.Net, I MUST GET VS.NET, right? Can C#.NET has the abality to create chat program? Thank you very much. C#.NET and C# are the same thing. JimMS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]Old Dog Learns New TricksPreferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets So ... that means I can use web matrix t...

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

Error 1 The type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinqDataSource' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\asse
Once I build project. I encounter this error. Does someone experience this error?Error    1    The type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinqDataSource' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.6.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'    D:\Source Code\Linq_Lesson5\Default.aspx    1    1    D:\Source Code\Linq_Lesson5\  It appears tha...

how to compile web app so I can send it to a graphic designer and he can run the app without the C# code
What would be the best way to let a graphic designer work on my web app. I have worked for quite a while on the database, the BLL and DAL. I am also using code-behind in my aspx pages. Now I am ready to have a graphic designer apply his magic but I don’t want him to be able to rip me off. What would be the best way of sending him the aspx pages so he can work on the look and feel.   The database is on a server that can be accessed from the web. Can I compile it so he only gets the necessary files to run the website? For example  could he then if he has the free version of Visual ...

Using assembly written in C# within a VB.net web app
Ive added a reference to an assembly within my vb.net web application.  The assembly was written in C# but for some reason I cant see any methods or classes within this assembly with intellisense.  When I use the imports statement, studio complains that "namespace or type specified...donesnt contain any public member or cannot be found.  make sure the type or namespace is defined and contains at least one public member..."  What gives ? Im new to vb.net, but not to C# Does assembly contain public members? You can try using .NET Reflector or ILDASM to find ou...

Web resources about - C# Windows App to C# Web App - asp.net.getting-started

The Windows Blog

BlueStacks 2 brings multi-tasking of Android apps to Windows
... a bunch of essential supporting features, including taking screenshots, setting your location, installing an APK, transferring files from Windows, ...

Detroit's window is open: Jordan Zimmermann fits the 'win-now' timeline
... for both sides and greatly helps a Detroit team that finished in the basement of the American League Central capitalize on a short-term window. ...

The research firm that once thought Microsoft would beat the iPhone has given up on Windows Phone
Back in 2011, venerable research firm IDC made some waves by predicting that Microsoft's Windows Phone would pass Apple's iOS in market share ...

Microsoft brings Windows 10 to budget-priced Lumia 550
It's not the first Lumia smartphone to adopt Microsoft's new operating system, but the 550 is the lowest-cost one so far.

Windows tech support: Getting your PC to start
Your PC won't boot. Is the issue loose cables, bumped switches, dead parts? Use this guide to find and fix the problem.

How to fix Windows 10 printing problems
Thinking back, I can dimly recall that in the era of Windows 3.0, 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups, printer drivers could be particularly vexing. ...

Microsoft Courts OEMs With Windows 10 IoT Core
With the newly announced Pro version of Windows 10 IoT, Microsoft is looking to spread its Internet of things vision to device makers.