BC30311: Value of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.RadioButtonList' cannot be converted to 'String'.

I have a listview that I'm working with.  Each record returned by my sql query is displayed in my list view as text, with the exception of one field, which I need to display as a radiobutton list.  I tried to set the value of the radiobutton in my codebehind, but keep getting errors.  How do I tell this radiobutton list that the value that should be selected when the page loads is equal to the value returned from my sql query?    The line in bold throws the error... How am I supposed to indicate what value to have selected when the page loads?

<asp:RadioButtonList ID="rbAnswer" runat="server">
<asp:ListItem Text="Not Yet Answered" Value="Not Yet Answered" ></asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Text="No Information" Value="No Information"></asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Text="Yes, Will Reply Now" Value="Will Reply Now"></asp:ListItem>
<asp:ListItem Text="Yes, Will Send Later" Value="Will Send Later"></asp:ListItem>
</asp:RadioButtonList>

Here's what I tried in my code behind..

For Each Item As ListViewItem In lvAudits.Items
Dim rb As RadioButtonList = CType(Item.FindControl("rbAnswer"), RadioButtonList)
rb.SelectedValue =
CType(Item.FindControl("rbAnswer"), RadioButtonList)
Next

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty

rb.SelectedValue = CType(Item.FindControl("rbAnswer"), RadioButtonList) Next

i think the error comes from here plz check it & change

Rajarshi Sankar Pain
0
bit2009
3/10/2009 4:07:57 PM

It's hard to say without seeing the aspx code for the list view. But this is the method I use for setting the selected value of a RadioButtonList

Dim rbValue as string = [code to get value from list view row or sql data]

'Reset selection of radio button list
rbAnswer.SelectedIndex = -1

For Each item as ListItem in rbAnswer.Items

   If item.Value = rbValue Then
       item.Selected = True
       Exit For
   End If

Next

Fran Hoey - Freelance Web Developer - BlueJumper.com
0
aspnet
3/10/2009 4:54:37 PM

thank you aspnet-freelancer.  got it working.

Never make important decisions on a Monday!
0
funluckykitty

BC30311: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'.
 Hello everyone, I receive the error in the subject when viewing this page, I can get it to work fine without the master page and only the textboxes, but that causes an error with line 11, even when the page contents do process to the form. I don`t understand the error and I would appreciate any guidance on this. Thanks for reading.1 <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" Title="Untitled Page" %> 2 3 <script runat="server"> 4 5 Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) 6 Dim D...

BC30311: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label'.
I have a pretty basic vb.net page that includes a listview.  (Note, this is my first time working with listview, so I may have some of the terminology wrong).  In my list view, I display all the important data for each record, and ask the user to provide a status for each record by including a radiobutton list with various responses.  At the bottom of the page is one submit button, and when the user clicks submit, I'm saving each records value based upon which response is selected in the radiobutton list. My saving of data is working,  but I'm ...

Having an error: BC30311: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label'.
Error Message: Compiler Error Message: BC30311: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label'. Line 13: myGetRandom.RetrieveDetails(lblQuestion.text, lblAnswers.text, lblViewCount.text, lblLastUpdated.text) Sub Page_Load Dim myGetRandom as new GetRandom myGetRandom.RetrieveDetails(lblQuestion.text, lblAnswers.text, lblViewCount.text, lblLastUpdated.text) End Sub Code behind Sub RetrieveDetails(lblQuestion as label, _ lblAnswers as label, _ lblViewCount as label, _ lblLastUpdated as...

Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'
I have a new page (wireframe) based on the User_Create page in the Time Tracker starter kit.  I have no code in the code behind page.  What might be causing this error?  This newbie needs help. I had a TextBox control named "Title" which appearantly conflicted with the page title. thanks!!! ...

BC30311: Value of type 'Control' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.CheckBox'
 Hi, can somebody help me on this problem. It works at first, but all of a sudden, it fails, and I can't find out why.    1 Sub btnSave_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) 2 3 If Not CheckRequiredField() Then 4 MessageBox("Please complete the input data!") 5 Exit Sub 6 End If 7 8 Dim nRow As Integer 9 Dim Ctrl As Control 10 Dim chkDelete As Object 11 Dim LookupID, Name, Desc, Type As String 12 13 nRow = 0 14 1...

Error Serializing Value 'System.Web.UI.WebCOntrols.TreeNode' of type 'System.Web.UI.WebCOntrols.TreeNode'
Hi, I am  getting the error stated in the subject when i am storing a TreeNode in a ViewState and then using it as follows if (ViewState["ProductCounty"]!=null) { TreeNode _productCountyNode = DataTree.FindNode(((TreeNode)ViewState["ProductCounty"]).ValuePath); _productCountyNode.Expand(); } what could be causing this error? Hi, I believe TreeNode isn't serializable in a way its required for objects which can be put to ViewState - as reference - (TreeNode implements IStateManager and is meant to work together with TreeView itself saving it...

Error: Cannot convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ButtonField'
Hello, I am getting the following error during compiliation. Any suggestions to fix it. Thanks. Cannot convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ButtonField' protected void gvEvents_RowCommand(Object sender, GridViewCommandEventArgs e) { if (e.CommandName == "Select") { int index = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument); GridViewRow selectedRow = gvEvents.Rows[index]; string sID; ButtonField btn; if (selectedRow.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) { sID = ((ButtonField)selectedRow.FindControl("ID")).DataTextFi...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormView' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'.
Hi,  I have a formview with a dropdownlist created dynamically. i want to determine whether the dropdownlist was clicked. the code is written in the FormView1_DataBound method. I get the following error in the line below that is in italics and underlined: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormView' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'.   Here is my code: ddl_iFullname = New DropDownList ddl_iFullname.ID = "ddl_iFullname" ddl_iFullname.DataSource = ObjectDataSource3 ddl_iFullname.DataTextField = "fullname" ddl_iFullname.DataValueField = "...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'

Value of type 'System.Web.UI.Control' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.SiteMap'.
 Hello,         I receive this error "System.Web.UI.Control' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.SiteMap" when I try to find the Sitemap control.  ...            <asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="SiteMapDataSource1" runat="server" />            <asp:ListView ID="ListView1" runat="server">            <LayoutTemplate>    ...

Cannot implicitely convert type 'string' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label'
 I'm starting to make a website for users to login. Once they login, I'm showing their profile. So I populate some asp:label controls on Page_Load. My profile page (shown after the user logs in) contains: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/site.master" CodeFile="clientProfile.aspx.cs" Inherits="clientProfile" AutoEventWireup="true" Title="Car Look - Your profile" %> <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="mainContent" Runat="Server"> <div> &l...

Value of type 'Integer' cannot converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Unit'
I'd like to dynamically change the size of controls such as panel.In the code I putmainPage.Height = 500  'mainPage is a PanelHowever, it failed to compile with message;Value of type 'Integer' cannot converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Unit'How can I change the code so that it compiles? mainPage.Height = Unit.Pixel(500)  'mainPage is a PanelSonu Kapoor [MVP] Feel free to ask me any .NET question | Ajax Data Controls Forum It works very well. Thanks a lot....

Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label' to 'string'
I have a datagridLabel ID1 = (Label)(e.Item.FindControl("ID1")); Label Name1 = (Label)(e.Item.FindControl("Name1")); Label TableName = (Label)(e.Item.FindControl("TableName"));   No0w Iam trying to TBTableName.Text = lblTableName;                  tbid.Text = lblImageTypeID1;                   tbnameordes.Text = lblImageName1; I have tried l lbltablename.text,.tostring,convert.t...

Error: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
Here is the code:Dim dato_start_2 as DateTime Dim varighet_str as string Dim dato_differanse as string dato_start_2 = tabell_2.Rows(DataGrid1.SelectedIndex).Item("dato_tid_sendt") dato_differanse = DateDiff(DateInterval.Day, dato_start_2, now) Label12 = "" & dato_differanse & ""  ........and theCompiler Error Message: BC30311: Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label'.Why and how?RegardsLars/Norway To set a text for a Label you need to use its Text property, in your code you try to set the Label to a Text and that is the reason why you g...

ASPNET2 HELP! CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FileUpload'.
Server Error in '/start-movieposters' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FileUpload'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?) Source Error: ...

Operator '&' is not defined for types 'String' and 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'
Can anyone tell me what this error message means, and what to do to correct it.  Here is the code that has the error:  Dim sql As Stringsql = "INSERT INTO tblConnecting (Date, Member, Name, Company, Phone, Fax, Address, NamesofAttendees, PaymentType, Email) " _ & "Values('" & Today() & "', '" & blnMember & "', '" & Me.txtName.Text & "', '" & Me.txtCompany.Text & "', '" _& Me.txtPhone.Text & "', '" & Me.txtFax.Text &...

CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'string' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'
I've got another error. Don't know where this is coming from. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'string' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'Source Error: Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="add_contact2.as...

Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label' to 'string' #2
Hi i am getting the following error "Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label' to 'string'", what am i doing wrong, my code looks like this;protected void lbtnSubmit_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) {foreach(DataGridItem dgi in dgAvailability.Items) {AvailabilityBLC availabilityBLC = new AvailabilityBLC(); availabilityBLC.Availability.AvailabilityDay =(Label)dgi.FindControl("lblDay");availabilityBLC.Availability.AvailabilityPrice = (TextBox)dgi.FindControl("priceTxt"); availabilityBLC.Availability.BBooked = (CheckB...

BC30452: Operator '&' is not defined for types 'String' and 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.AccessDataSource'.
hi everyone, i keep getting the error page... Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC30452: Operator '&' is not defined for types 'String' and 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.AccessDataSource'. Source Error:   Line 20: Line 2...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter'.
I'm getting this error on a vb.net page the needs to execute two separate stored procedures.  The first one, is the main insert, and returns the identity value for the ClientID.  The second stored procedure inserts data, but needs to insert the ClientID returned in the first stored procedure.  What am I doing wrong with including the identity value "ClientID" in the second stored procedure?  Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Parameter'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during t...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.LiteralControl' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'.
Hi, any idea why I'm getting the following error?Line 45: protected void CartGrid_RowUpdating(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewUpdateEventArgs e) Line 46: { Line 47: TextBox QuantityTextBox = (TextBox)CartGrid.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[2].Controls[0]; Line 48: int Quantity = Convert.ToInt32(QuantityTextBox.Text); Line 49: Are you sure that the control at CartGrid.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[2].Controls[0] isn't a LiteralControl?  How are you creating code this in your code?Brent JenkinsASP.NET, C#, Web Developerwww.valewebdesign.co.uk  ...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.LiteralControl' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'
Hello, Goal: enter a number in two fields HoursPerUnit and PeoplePerUnit and the value for the third field, TotalHoursPerUnit will populate after the the number in the two fields have been caculated.  Using the code below I receive the error message above.  Please tell me what am I doing wrong? Do I need to cast the text as a literal?  Please help? Thank you in advance, <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="Default.master" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="frmHR.aspx.vb" Inherits="frmHR"...

Error 60 Operator '&' is not defined for types 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' and 'String'.
The comment control is a textbox:<td align="right" style="width: 228px"><asp:TextBox ID="comment" runat="server" TextMode="multiLine" Rows="10" Columns="50" onkeyup="return ismaxlength(this)" Width="260px" Height="100px" Font-Overline="false" /></td> and I'm being told by VS (underlined in blue ) that the for the comment field: Error 60 Operator '&' is not defined for types 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox' and 'String...

Compiler Error Message: BC30311: Value of type 'System.Web.UI.DataSourceSelectArguments' cannot be converted to 'Integer'.
 Hello, I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out why I'm receiving the above error message..."Compiler Error Message: BC30311: Value of type 'System.Web.UI.DataSourceSelectArguments' cannot be converted to 'Integer'." In visual web developer, the blue line is pointing out the variables args, on line 15.   1 Imports System.Data 2 Partial Class POS_so_Default 3 Inherits System.Web.UI.Page 4 5 Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load 6 customer...

Web resources about - BC30311: Value of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.RadioButtonList' cannot be converted to 'String'. - asp.net.getting-started