Assign a foreign key as a parameter

hi everybody

I have the following asp.net2.0 code

SelectCommand = "Select IDEmp, FirstName,MiddleName,LastName, Date,HoursNumber, Description

From Employee, WorkOnCategory , CatDesignItemReference

where IDEmp =IDEmplWork AND FirstName = @FirstName AND Category = @AnyCategory AND ">

<SelectParameters>

<asp:ControlParameter ControlID="txtEmployeeName" DefaultValue="" Name="FirstName" PropertyName="Text" Type="String" /> <asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DropDownList1" DefaultValue="" Name="AnyCategory" PropertyName = "SelectedValue" Type="String" />

</SelectParameters>

</asp:SqlDataSource>

The problem is that the AnyCategory in my DropDownList1 refers to a key but unfortunalely my code understand it as string so it assigns

 Category = @AnyCategory  as if Category ='AnyCategory ' not as Category = AnyCategory

 So what should I do

bassam_online

Try changing the Type property of the AnyCategory ControlParameter from String to Int32

Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~

mbanavige

Getting Start With .net

how to get start with .NET

Can we get the foreign row from a given parent row using foreign keys instead of datarelation
When we define a foreign key in 2 tables. When the user chooses a row in the primary table, Can we get the foreign row automatically from the Lok up table using the foreign key that we defined instead of datarelation. Do u have a little code example. ThanksThanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Foreign key is a kind of constraint on tables, which is used to engage for data consistency at data storage level. That is different to DataRelation, which used to relate two DataTable objects to each other at data accessing level. And your requirement is related t...

Table design question (to foreign key or not to foreign key)
Our application is a message board and is full of messages, threads, and forums. A message is an individual entry (like the one I'm typing now ;)). Our software gives the user the ability to upload a single file attachment to each message. I can think of a couple different ways to design the two tables: message( messageid numeric identity, attachmentid numeric null, messagetext text, other, message, stuff... ) attachment( attachmentid numeric identity, title varchar, other, stuff ) or message( messageid, messagetext text, other, stuff ) attachment( messageid numeric foreig...

How do I get started with AJAX.Net?

Get Foreign key in a FieldTemplate
Hi, I've the following problem: In the database, i've a Products (productid,productname) table and a Pictures (pictureid,productid,pictureurl) table. There's a foreign key in the Pictures table, (Products.productid -> Pictures.productid). I've created a custom FieldTemplate, where I'm uploading the file to a webservice, which is working as expected when in Update-mode; however on Insert there's a problem when the user just clicks the "insert new" link on the bottom, there's a Dropdown with the possibility to select a product. Q1: how can I ge...

Getting started
Starting an ASP.NET project (in C#) and wanted to pose a few questions to those of you with experience of whipping-up solutions. There are a few key areas which are fairly unrelated, but which pose a slight hurdle in my initial thinking of how to put a project together... 1. From what I gather, the db connection string should go in the web.config. I'm told not to place the user/pass in plain text there though -- even though no one has access to this file. If I'm to encrypt it, I presume I then need to unencrypt it before use, right? This the best place to put the conn str? 2. Global ...

Getting started .net website

Assigning foreign keys in code.
I am quite new, and though I have purchased and viewed several videos, I cannot figure out the answer to this embarrasingly simple data problem.  I have changed the names of the 2 tables and fields for ease.  This is all for a button click event: SqlDataSource1.InsertCommand = "INSERT INTO [orders] ([o_detail1], [o_detail2]) VALUES (@o_detail1, @o_detail2)";SqlDataSource1.InsertParameters.Add("o_detail1", textbox1.text);SqlDataSource1.InsertParameters.Add("o_detail2", textbox2.text); SqlDataSource1.Insert(); // The above code works fine. ...

Getting started with JScript.NET

How do I get the parameter for the delete command when I get the parameter for the select in another way?
I'm working with VS 2008.  I've got a data grid control, which I populate through a DropDownList that is data bound using a stored procedure.  When the DDL changes it updates the contents in the DataView control.  The DataView control is also data bound, and is populated using its own stored procedure and the code returned from the DDL once the user selects something.  I've got another stored procedure assigned to the DeleteCommand of the SqlDataSource, which I intend to use is with a delete CommnadField of the DataView control.  However, in this case I w...

Foreign key to other table, with foreign key back to first one: ok?
Is it ok for two tables to have foreign keys to each other based on the same columns? If so, are there rules about the cascade settings in such a case? I am thinking of tables that are virtually one-to-one with each other and can tend to be viewed or deleted equally "from either end". -- Steve http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/6376 The first problem I see with this is that it is a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" type of a problem. When you insert into one table the FK is going to want to check to see if the value is in the other...

Web resources about - Assign a foreign key as a parameter - asp.net.getting-started

Google / Firefox Parameter - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
HS what? www.seroundtable.com/archives/017105.html

Alternatives to boolean parameters