ASP.NET/ADO.NET/VB.NET Books

Can anyone suggest a good book(s) on ASP.NET, ADO.NET and VB.NET, I have familiar ASP 2.0 and have used VB 6 a few times, so I’m a total newbie, to this type of thing.

Thanks
Jason
0
powerjas

One free place to start is the Quickstart tutorials. They are available on the tutorials tab on this website.

The best "starting out" book, IMO, is still "ASP.NET Unleashed", by Stephen Walther. This gives you an excellent introduction to all of the essentials.
From there, it would depend on your needs.
BTW - there is a "Book Review" forum within the ASP.NET Forums that may provide some insight. And many other .NET websites, such as the AspAlliance site, have book reviews too.

Jim

MS MVP ASP.NET [VC++/MFC emeritus]

Old Dog Learns New Tricks

Preferred programming language: cuneiform on clay tablets
0
JimRoss
2/27/2004 3:48:13 PM
I have Sams teach yourself asp.net in 21days

Sams teach yourself ado.net in 21 days. Both are good
MCAD.Net vb.net
0
midi25
2/27/2004 3:52:49 PM
I went through ASP.NET for Dummies, and then bought ASP.NET Unleashed.

The best recommendation I can make about these books, the latter particularly, is that I never stumbled upon the issues that take up this bulk of this Getting Started forum. The books steared me past all potential ASP.NET teething problems.
Here is a sample chapter from ASP.NET, regarding the code behind method. This should illustrate how easy the book is to read, and also that it makes no presumption that you're using VS.NET.
Alister
0
SomeNewKid
2/27/2004 4:47:23 PM
Thanks for all the responses, :) I musta missed the book review forum thanks for point it out I ment to say that I was not a total Newbie :)

Jason
0
powerjas

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

ADO in VB6 vs ADO.NET in VB.NET
I am writing a database interface and I would like to know whether a VB6 interface using ADO or a VB.NET interface using ADO.NET would be faster in terms of just performing database operations. Is there an explanation for this, and what is the magnitude of the difference? Thanks in advance!...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Looking for really good books about vb.net 2005 & ado.net
Well, the title says it all. I also need a book about asp.net 2.0, but after reading the board, the answer will be "Professional ASP.NET 2.0", I suppose :).Well, what good books are there about vb.net 2005 & ado.net??? What ever you do, don't waste your money on Professional ASP.Net 2.0 (Wrox).  It was very elementary in its approach and it doesn't go into a lot detail.  I am still researching because I waste money again.  In the meanwhile, you might want to pre-order ASP Unleashed 2005 by Stephen Walther. RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryano...

How to get RS (From VB6) to .NET (VB.NET)
Hi Friends,         I have requirement, there is one function in VB6 it returns a RS, I need to call that function in  VB.NET, how to get those values into .NET, if can any body can help (pass me some code snippets), that will be greate, Thank you.Madhu... -Madhu hey guys i got this one just by using fill method.-Madhu...

vb .net or c# .net

C#.NET or VB.NET

VB.Net To C#.Net

About VB.net And VC.net
I am always Programming With VB.net Recently My Teacher ask us to learn Vc or VC.net. I try to learn it and compare it with vb.net, I found it's much too complex than vb. However it is said vc is strongger than vb I want to know Why vc is strongger than vb? and is it hard too learn vc? I am new to asp.net Thanks for man who want to help me! Wuhan, Hubei, China Below links could give some info http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308470Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti VisualC is not a language in an of itself...

ado.net or/and datawindow.net
Hi, Can datawindow.net work with Sybase's ado.net or are they not compatible with each other. We have two separate groups of developers, one group develops web apps using ASE as the back end for the data, so they use a combination of Visual Studio ..NET and Sybase's ado.net to do their work. We have another group that develops client/server apps using Powerbuilder, but since 80% of their work is in writting reports using Powerbuilder, I was wondering if they could use a combination of datawindow.net and ado.net to put make these reports available on the web through ...

Does .NET map calls for ADO to ADO.NET?
Hello,We are trying to troubleshoot some DB problems from COM objects that call ADO. I heard that when ADO is loaded inside of a COM object by a .NET app, that .NET intercepts the call and re-maps those calls over to ADO.NET. This seems untrue to me, given the nature of ADO.NET being a totally separate technology.Does anyone know for sure whether this does or does not occur?The problem we are seeing is actually almost identical in symptoms to this:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/230101"FIX: Data Queries Sporadically Return Empty Recordsets" Literally, this is what...

Web resources about - ASP.NET/ADO.NET/VB.NET Books - asp.net.getting-started

Book Salon
FDL Community Conversations with Authors

Book talk:London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This book is within the scope of WikiProject England , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of England on Wikipedia. If you would like ...

‘The Battle for Room 314’ book: NYC teacher’s year from hell revealed
IN 2008, Ed Boland, a well-off New Yorker who had spent 20 years as an executive at a non-profit, had a midlife epiphany: He should leave his ...

Jilted bride left at the altar quits her job, sells her house, travels the world and writes a book
Katy Colins, 30, secures three-book deal with Carina UK, part of world-renowned publisher Harper Collins.

Price Drop: Book of Puzlo
Book of Puzlo 1.3 Device: iOS Universal Category: Games Price: Free, Version: 1.3 ( iTunes ) Description: A magical fairy tale comes to life ...

"I don’t consciously avoid any genres, but it is unlikely you would find me lingering in the section ...
Says Bill Bryson — who has a new book "The Road to Little Dribbling/Adventures of an American in Britain" — in an interview in the NYT . I'm ...

Kid's book on George Washington and his slaves pulled
"A Birthday Cake for George Washington" had upbeat imagery of the slave cook of the first president and the slave's daughter

Stan Lee Talks Possibility Of Star Wars/Avengers Crossover Film - Comic Book Resources
Stan Lee Talks Possibility Of Star Wars/Avengers Crossover Film - The iconic Marvel creator compares the possible event film to his creation ...

CNN Says HuffPost Cooked The Books In Web Traffic
CNN Says HuffPost Cooked The Books In Web Traffic

Midday open thread: Happy slave book withdrawn; 4th quarter GDP growth looks grim; skewed wealth
... files expose match-fixing evidence that tennis authorities have kept secret for years. Protests force Scholastic to pull its happy slave book ...