Arithmetic overflow error converting varchar to data type numeric

Hello,

i am getting "Arithmetic overflow error converting varchar to data type numeric"  while i am trying to cast the numeric value to varchar in SQL Server 2000(This is the Query  (cast(' + @Qty + ' as varchar(50))

If any knows plz help me,

thanks.

0
Veera

"Arithmetic overflow error converting varchar to data type numeric" stands for error while converting varchar to numeric, and you say "trying to cast the numeric value to varchar", this is kind a confusing thing. Can you explain your problem more detailed?

Never ask users what they want, or they'll tell you
0
ArtemL
6/22/2007 3:10:35 PM

i dont think you need to have the ' + and + ' in there, just trying casting the variable with @whateveryourvariablenamewas

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you.
0
keyboardcowboy
6/22/2007 3:14:19 PM

Do you want something along the lines of:

SELECT '''' +  cast(@Qty as varchar(50)) + ''''

I had to rewrite the   ' + @Qty + '  part

TATWORTH
6/22/2007 3:14:27 PM

try increasing the varchar size for example let it be varchar(1000)

and tell me what happens : )

I tried executing this code:

declare @test as int
set @test = 1000000000
print cast(@test as varchar(10))

and it worked fine. but when I increased the @test value to 10000000000 it gave me : Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type int.

which means it might be a size issue

<%= Eyad.Salamin %>

<aspForums:DontForget>Don't forget to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you.

This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. </aspForums:DontForget>
0
eyad
6/22/2007 3:14:30 PM

this query helped me to solve the problem.

Thanks,
0
Veera

SQL Server Error: "Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric"
I'm still quite new to SQL, and so I may be missing something quite obvious. Apologies in advance if that's the case. I've included my query at the bottom of the message as it is quite long; my problem is that I get "Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric" when the first parameter to my COALESCE calls is not NULL. That is, the COALESCEs and the query work as I expect when SUM(cust_vw_actual.Actual) is NULL (they return 0.00), but if it isn't I get the error. I am also getting "Warning: Null value eliminated from aggregate.&...

Help needed: arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric
Hi, I have a SQL server 2005 db. The table structure (from big list of columns, only decimal columns I mentioned) below.  CREATE TABLE [Product].[MetricMeasures](    [MetricMeasureID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,    [ProductID] [int] NOT NULL,    [ProductSizeValue] [decimal](4, 2) NULL,    [ItemWeightValue] [decimal](3, 3) NULL,    [MasterCartonWeightValue] [decimal](3, 3) NULL,    [MasterCartonVolumeValue] [decimal](4, 4) NULL, CONSTRAINT [PK_MetricMeasures] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( &nbs...

Arithmetic overflow error converting float to data type numeric.
When this code executes, I am getting the error list in the subject. The values of the items are as follows: newTextName = SM1 newLat = 29.1878 newLong = 85.3417 newDescription = Test newCreator = John newCreate_Date = 9/14/2003 newDepth = 61 DropDownList2 = 7 'Get next Text_ID from Waypoint Table stmMaxSQL = "Select Max(WP_Text_ID) as WP_Text_ID From TBL_NM_Waypoint" objConn.Open() dadWaypoints = New SqlDataAdapter(stmMaxSQL, objConn) dadWaypoints.Fill(dstWaypoints, "Waypoints"...

Arithmetic overflow error converting float to data type numeric.
When this code executes, I am getting the error listed in the subject. The error is reported on the underlined and bold line. The values of the items are as follows: newTextName = SM1 newLat = 29.1878 newLong = 85.3417 newDescription = Test newCreator = John newCreate_Date = 9/14/2003 newDepth = 61 DropDownList2 = 7 'Get next Text_ID from Waypoint Table stmMaxSQL = "Select Max(WP_Text_ID) as WP_Text_ID From TBL_NM_Waypoint" objConn.Open() dadWaypoints = New SqlDataAdapter(stmMaxSQL, objConn) ...

Error = Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type smalldatetim
  $exception {"Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type smalldatetime.\r\nThe statement has been terminated."} System.Exception {System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException} occurs here is my code protected void EmailSubmitBtn_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { SqlDataSource NewsletterSqlDataSource = new SqlDataSource(); NewsletterSqlDataSource.ConnectionString = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["NewsletterConnectionString"].ToString();   //Text version NewsletterSqlDataSource.InsertCommandType = SqlDataSourceCommandType.Text; NewsletterS...

Trying to convert column from datatype nvarchar to datetime
Hi All,  I am trying to simply change a column from a datatype of nvarchar to a datetime datatype.  However when I do I receive the following error message: " Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime."To note there is already a date filled out in the columns which I presume the reason why the error is reporting?! however for some reason when originally setup datetime was not used but rather nvarchar to capture the data.The format is: 16/01/2007 09:53:50 There are around 24000 entries that I need converting somehow so if anyone can help...

Error converting data type varchar to numeric
hi All, This case statement is giving me the error "Error converting data type varchar to numeric". the column dbo.tblKMTermloanFees.base_min datatype is varchar.  And please see below for sample data in the column. i have to convert this into number. Any suggestions guys how to do this, Thanks in advance. Shilpa.  CASE  WHEN dbo.tblKMTermloanFees.base_min LIKE '%/6M%' THEN CONVERT (DECIMAL (5,2), LEFT (Base_Min, CHARINDEX ('/', Base_Min)-1)) / 6 WHEN dbo.tblKMTermloanFees.base_min LIKE '%/M%' THEN CONVERT (DECIMAL (5,2), LEFT (Base_Mi...

Error converting data type varchar to numeric.
following is the error I am getting. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Error converting data type varchar to numeric.Source Error: Line 107: " select '" & eventnumber & "','" & username & "','" & requestor & "', '" & bcode & "', max([Loan_ID]) from loan "Line 108: Dim myCommand1 As New SqlCommand(sql1, myConnection)Line 109: myCommand1.ExecuteNonQuery()Line 110:Line 111: Dim sql2 As String = " update Equipment set [Available_for_Loan] = 0 where barcode = '" &am...

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.
Hi. My query below executes perfectly in SQL query analyzer.SELECT     pre_e.......... recruitment_advertising.advertising_date, career_details.RTS_Email, datediff(d,Cast(recruitment_advertising.advertising_date as DATETIME),CAST(career_details.RTS_Email as Datetime)) as Ad_to_RTS_daysFROM         pre_employee INNER JOIN..........advertising_date is of type nvarchar and so is RTS_EmailThey ARE in the format dd/mm/yyyy  (GB format).But when I create a dataset and  objectdatasource using the same query to use in the reportvi...

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.
I have the error message:Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime. when i click this button:    protected void Button2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)    {         Int32 ProductId = Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString["proID"]);        bool result = Executeupdateclickedin(ProductId);        result = Executedeleteshipping(ProductId);        result = Executemassmail2(ProductId);&nb...

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime
Hi all,In the beginning of this month I've build a website with a file-upload-control. When uploading a file, a record (filename, comment, datetime) gets written to a SQLExpress database, and in a gridview a list of the files is shown. On the 7th of September I uploaded some files to my website, and it worked fine. In the database, the datetime-record shows "07/09/2006 11:45". When I try to upload a file today, it gives me the following error: Error: Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime. The statement has been ...

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime
Hi, I have the problem stated Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime...  I have little idea on y the error occur...Need help asap if possible... suggestions , ideas My sql server 2000 database has the table custTransaction and some field name... dateOfPurchase is the field name in the table that i store the date format as nvarchar and in the format of dd/MM/yyyy... because does not have value larger den 12 there4 this error occur when i try retrieve data from database... Q: My qns is how can i dun change the format of my dateOfPurchase and retrieve ...

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime
Hi,I don't know why I'm still having this error even if the only part that deals with the date fields are only using getdate() function.SQL Server Database Error: Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.The statement has been terminated.Many Thanks & Best Regards,HuaMin Chen(Mark it as answer if it does help you!)  Can you post your code to get understanding of your problem clearyly.  Thanks,santosh_maharajaPlease mark as answer if you got expected solution. wmec:SQL Server Database Error: Arithmetic overflow error converting expressi...

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime #2
Hi, I'm having this error with my page, user picks the date -using the AJAX Control Toolkit Calender with the format of ( dd/MM/yyyy ). It looks like the application current format is MM/dd/yyyy, because it shows the error page if the day is greater than 12,  like: 25/03/2007 What is wrong? Here is the error page: Server Error in '/' Application. Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime.The statement has been terminated. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review ...

Web resources about - Arithmetic overflow error converting varchar to data type numeric - asp.net.getting-started

Arithmetic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... of numbers , especially the properties of the traditional operations between them— addition , subtraction , multiplication and division . Arithmetic ...

Arithmetic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... numbers , especially the properties of the traditional operations between them — addition , subtraction , multiplication and division . Arithmetic ...

Mental Arithmetic - train your brain! on the App Store on iTunes
Get Mental Arithmetic - train your brain! on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Arithmetic Puzzle - Haskell live coding - YouTube
Live coding of Ruby Quiz 7 - Arithmetic Puzzle "Countdown" Unscripted, unedited, (uncut) - Haskell Uncut Read more at my blog post: http://c ...

Australia's deadliest sniper, Ian Robertson, 'never did the arithmetic'
The deadliest man in Australia comes from Melbourne, but he is not a gangster or a hitman. He is more a foxtrotting man, these days. He can do ...

Genetic anomaly could explain severe difficulty with arithmetic - The Science Show - ABC Radio National ...
... is that numbers are wired into the human brain and perhaps a genetic anomaly explains why some children have severe difficulties with arithmetic. ...

Mitt Romney’s mortal enemy: Arithmetic
Romney still only has a 31.9% chance of winning to Obama's 68.1%, and the numbers for Romney are getting worse. .

Price Drop: MencalHD:Mental Arithmetic Training,Improve Your Skills In Math
MencalHD:Mental Arithmetic Training,Improve Your Skills In Math 1.0 Device: iOS iPad Only Category: Education Price: Free, Version: 1.0 ( iTunes ...

Analysis: Republicans' budget plans require creative arithmetic to add up
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Analysis: Republicans' budget plans require creative arithmetic to add up Bellingham Herald WASHINGTON — Republicans ...

"Here's America today... frivolous entertainment, texting and Twitter replacing serious news reporting ...
If only we weren't so frivolous , if we could get serious , maybe we could figure it all out.