Application Unavailable, .aspx applications not working! Help, Please!

Whenever I make and run an .aspx application, this happens, but when I run an .asp application, it doesn't:

Server Application Unavailable
The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.
Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
1.) How do I get to the 'log entry'?
2.) And how do I make the .aspx applications work?

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>
<script runat="server">
Sub tbMessage_Change(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs)
lblMessage.Text = "Hello " + tbMessage.Text
End Sub
</script>
<% Response.Write("Our First Page<p>") %>
<form runat="server">
Please enter your name:
<asp:textbox id "tbMessage"
OnTextChanged="tbMessage_Change"
runat=server />
<asp:button id="btSubmit" Text="Submit"
runat=server />
<asp:label id="lblMessage" font-size="20pt"
runat=server />
</form>

1.) Before I started having the Application Error, this wouldn't work, but I typed it in correctly from 'Sam's Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 21 Days'. How can I fix both of these problems?
Thank you!
0
alexdemoneco

The "Log Entry" means the machine's application log (Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer).  In the Event Viewer app, select Application, and the most recent error messages should be reported there with more detail.

What OS are you running on? What version of the .NET Framework are you using? IIS on XP Pro has a limit of 10 connections so perhaps you are hitting that limit?
-Dan
danmor
12/6/2003 3:05:34 AM
I am using XP Professional with IIS 5.1. I have installed the .NET SDK, and as far as I know, only 1 user is connected at any time. I am also using 'Sam's Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 21 Days' by Chris Payne. Is there a different book I should be using instead?
0
alexdemoneco
12/8/2003 5:38:28 PM
The problem is not your book.  You should use Event Viewer and see what the exact ASP.NET error message is.  That will help diagnose the problem.

It sounds like your problem is that IIS is not working well with ASP.NET. There are two things to try.
First, the easiest thing to do is to re-register ASP.NET with IIS. From a command prompt, navigate to the \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 directory and run
aspnet_regiis -i
The key is "aspnet_regiis". Hopefully this will restore proper communications between IIS and ASP.NET.
The second, and more extreme thing to try is to use Control Panel, Add/Remove Windows Components, then Remove IIS, then reinstall IIS. *Be aware* that this is an extreme step and will wipe out all of your web site configurations (permissions, etc.). It will not remove your web site files, but once you restore IIS you will need to reconfigure your web applications. In addition, you need to run "aspnet_regiis" after you have reinstalled IIS.
If neither of these work for you reply to this post.
-Dan
danmor
12/8/2003 10:48:06 PM
Thank you so much! I had to reinstall IIS, but I had not made any permission settings, so it was no big deal. Thank you again!
0
alexdemoneco
12/10/2003 8:11:24 PM
I did what you told

- Uninstall IIS
- Re-install IIS
- register ASP"NET aspnet_regiis /I
But still no .aspx pages want to run under IIS. All other .HTML, .ASP... work well
What should I do
0
newbieASP
12/10/2003 11:38:21 PM
When you ran aspnet_regiis from the command line you should see a message when it finishes.  Either you will see a message saying that it was successful or that errors were encountered and the name of the error file.

If you are on Windows Server 2003 you must enable the ASP.NET extensions either through the IIS Managemement Console (IIS Manager), or by adding the "-enable" command line argument like this:
aspnet_regiis -i -enable
Windows XP Pro does not require the "-enable" so I didn't include that info in the previous response.
If pages still aren't working then make a post and say what errors were encountered during aspnet_regiis, and/or the exact text of errors you see in the browser when you try to view a page (not debug it, just view it).
-Dan
danmor
12/11/2003 12:03:19 AM
Sorry did not work either.

I'm running .Net Server Enterprise, so I did what you told:
D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322>aspnet_regiis -i -enable
Start installing ASP.NET (1.1.4322.0).
Finished installing ASP.NET (1.1.4322.0).
It install without any error, but still when I try to browse .aspx file it process for a long time and give me the "The page cannot be display" after a while.
The .Net framework 1.1 is installed and so does the SDK pakage.
One weird thing is when a look at .aspx files in the explorer it associate it with .txt file. When I try to open .aspx file it open in the notepad!
Thanks for your help
0
newbieASP
12/11/2003 5:11:00 PM
If the ASPX file icon is the same as a text file, and double-clicking opens it in Notepad then it appears someone changed the file association.  It should be associated with Microsoft Visual Studio .NET if Visual Studio .NET is installed on that machine.  You can try to change the association back.  You can change the file association through Windows Explorer, Tools Options, File Types tab.  The icon comes from \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\Packages\htmed.dll.

The "Page cannot be displayed" error is a different error than "Application Unavailable" error. Do you get an Error 404? The "Page cannot be displayed" error is usually caused when you have not configured your application properly. Have you tried creating a new Web Application in Visual Studio, perhaps http://localhost/WebApplication1. Create a new web application with only a Web Forms Label on the home page, set it as the default page, and try to view the page in the browser.

-Dan
danmor
12/11/2003 6:26:21 PM
Yes I do have error 404 "The page cannot be display".

But I don't have Visual Studio .NET on this server. However I have install the TimeTracker starter kit which once installed create the application pool for the site. But When I try to run it, it process for a long time and give me the 404 error.
I'm clue less...
newbieASP
12/11/2003 7:49:46 PM
If you don't have Visual Studio then you must create the web application manually in IIS Manager.  The 404 error means that IIS can not find the page, probably because you don't have a web application defined.  To create a simple test application do the following.

1. In Windows Explorer create a new folder named "test" at the location \inetpub\wwwroot\. Make sure that under Tools | Folder Options, View tab, you turn OFF "Hide extensions for known types" so you can be sure you are viewing the correct file names with extensions.
2. In Windows Explorer, open the folder named "test", right-click and choose "New -> Text Document".
3. Open NewTextDocument.txt and type the following code:
<% =2+2%>
4. File | Save As. Save the file as "default.aspx"
5. Run IIS Manager by clicking on the Start button, select Run, type "inetmgr", and click "OK" button.
6. In IIS Manager epxand the treeview on the left-hand side so you see Web Sites, and below that "Default Web Site". Right-click on "Default Web Site" and choose "New Virtual Directory".
7. A wizard will start and ask you the Alias for the virtual directory. Type "test" and click Next.
8. Enter the path to the test folder (it will be something like "d:\inetpub\wwwroot\test"). Click Next.
9. On the Virtual Directory Access Permissions page the "Read" and "Run scripts" options should be checked. Click Next. Click Finish to finish the wizard.
10. Run Internet Explorer, and in the Address field type http://localhost/test/default.aspx and click the Go button. You should see a page with the number "4" on the page.
If you had Visual Studio .NET it would do all this for you. If you need a development environment I suggest you start with the Web Matrix tool (http://www.asp.net/webmatrix)
-Dan
danmor
12/11/2003 8:47:08 PM
I did all that you told but still the preveling end: 404 error

I look in my logviewer/application and found that message:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1093
Date: 2003-12-11
Time: 15:59:05
User: N/A
Computer: INGENIASOFT-SVR
Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process. The ASP.NET cache will be unable to limit its memory use, which may lead to a process restart. Error: 0x8000ffff
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
To technical for me.
I use WebMatrix it work well because it uses it own WebServer and not IIS.
Thanks for all
0
newbieASP
12/11/2003 9:09:33 PM
I had a similar problem and I followed all the advice in this forum to no avail.  I finally went to MSDN and found an article related to this. One of the solutions was to change the userName attribute of the <processModel> entry to "SYSTEM".  This solved my problem.  "machine" is the default and in most cases causes no problems, however in my case somehow, aspnet.exe  rights were changed causing it to fail to load any aspx applications. Changing it to system gives aspnet.exe full access.
0
mredlon

Hi, Can anyone help me convert an older windows.form application into an aspx application (example.cs and example.resx - to
Hi, Can anyone help me convert an older windows.form application into an aspx application Examples of some of the files (example.cs and example.resx - to - example.aspx and example.aspx.cs) using System;using System.Drawing;using System.Collections;using System.ComponentModel;using System.Windows.Forms; namespace Dalphis{ /// <summary> /// Summary description for Cpr. /// </summary> ///  enum recordState {  //code  resolution = 1,  roca = 2,  credit = 3,  creditSecondary = 4,  credi...

HELP PLEASE!, how to convert non PFC application to PFC application?
Your help is much needed. I have developed many windows and datawindows without using PFC, how do i make the pfc to be the ancestor of all my windows and datawindows? Syed. -- Syed Ibrahim Sapura Advanced Systems Sdn. Bhd, 18th Floor, Menara Tun Razak, Jalan Raja Laut, 50350 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Tel: (03) 295-3472, (03) 294-3000 Fax: (03) 294-6587, (03) 293-3154 You will have to export each object to a file. Then you can edit the file to change to ancestor and import it again. I suggest you create separate PBL's before you import because you don't want to overwri...

Application to Application
Hi,  Curious on what different solutions there are for one application that is closing down to contact another application. I have the closing down applicaton sending something to the database and for the other application to monitor the database records, but I think that is a horrible solution. Another idea would be when the closing down application sends a message to the database for the database to then respond by sending a message to the other application, but that means the database would have to know where the other application is.  If possible, the security issue mak...

plz help....Application Start is not working
a web application is running successfully on a iis server. i upload the updated version on web application dll. in that there is a thread which is being fired on application start. and i noted that the thread is not fired. further i noted that after uploading(overriding) the application dll, and after hiting to the site, application_start is not fired. my problem is that web Application already is running and I wnat to start a thread only once and that thread will keep on working after a regular intervials. and if the application stoped and than start, the thread once again started and ...

Server Application Unavailable !!Please Help!!
This issue does not have to do with the MS03-32 patch because I am running framework 1.1. I can view all of the folders in my root directory in my IE browser except the one i am currently working out of. I have been working with it for months, and i was working with it all morning, then all of a sudden I get Server Application Unavailable. Our intranet installed a patch this morning on my computer but after the installation everything worked fine. now it doesnt, has anyone had this problem before?If you confess with your mouth that "Jesus is Lord" and believe in your heart that ...

Starting the server application and stopping the server application from the client application
Hi , How do I do it ? I want to start the server application from my client app. After all my jobs are over , when I disconnect from the server, I want to close the server application. Both the client and server applications will be running on the desktop under NT or win95 environment. If the client app is abc.exe and the server app is pqr.exe when the user starts the client app from his desktop, the client should start pqr.exe . Now after finishing all the process when the user closes the client, I want to disconnect from server and close the server pqr then close abc...

Cant seem to excecute applications on the server from the web application...please help....
Here's the problem - I've created a Web site using C# ASP .net 2.0 I want to run a program (an executable) from the web page (at the press of a button) that would run on the server's side. I've tried using: System.Diagnostics.Proccess.Start(); but nothing happened. I've also read quit a few about "impersonation" but nothing seems to work. In in ASP net version: 1.1.4322 I gave the IIS admin permission to interact with the desktop and that did the trick, the same solution doesn't work in the 2.0 version. Versions I'm using: .Net 2005 Framework 2, ASP Net version: 2.0.50727, IIS ver...

HOW TO get AJAX to Work with an Exisiting .NET Application
FYI... HOW TO get AJAX WORKING with an EXISTING .NET APPLICATION I was trying to implement AJAX within an existing application and found I need ADD SOME things and REMOVE ONE thing in web.config.   Just my experience.  There may be a more straight-forward way to do this for "existing" .NET applications.  If so, please comment.  But this DID WORK for me. STEP 1:  FIRST WHAT "CANNOT BE" in web.config... which may solve some problems immediately -->  For me, even though everything else was good in web.config, AJAX 1.0 UpdatePanel ...

Please get me started with a Web Shop application
I am a software developer doing ASP.NET work to gain experience. Now I am looking at a relatively low budget Web Shop application. Guess I should start with some kind of framework? Should I go Nuke? Or is the portal concept not relevant for a single application? IBuySpy store? Or is that more of a reference implementation? Is there some standard way to exchange information with other applications like accounting programs etc? This is in Europe, €s only, English only, international shipping, manual credit-card processing. Hello, you may want to start with IBYStore which...

ASPX file not working/Server Application Unavailable
Hi I working on Win XP pro w/ asp.net 1.1 only. Also IIS 5.0. I'm a newbie trying to get to grips with ASP.NET I'm stuck trying to get a simple 'The server time is' asp.net working. I'm able to get an asp page showing the time using IIS but when I try to acheive the same thing with an asp.net page I get the famous "Server Application Unavailable" error page. I've checked a few forumns but none of the solutions seem to apply since the laptop never had ASP.net 1.0 installed nor did I download any security updates. Any help greatly appreciated, stevemul L...

Server Application Unavailable Error
I'm running win 2000 pro with MS sql 2000, IIS 5, VS .net 2002 academic, and .net 1.1. Whenever I open an asp.net page. I get and error: "Server Application Unavailable The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request. Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur." ...

Cant get Zenworks application to work! Help!!!! :)
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade our adobe reader 7 to version 8 via Zenworks. I have basically just created the new Adobe 8 Zenworks application from a copy of the Adobe 7 one .ie. using an exsisting application object and just changed things around to point to the Adobe 8 files, etc instead. I also get the following error when I try to deploy the application "Could not launch Adobe 8 Reader (I) TEST.APPS.ZEN.SSAT (using msiexec) (id=267) THe directory name is invalid" I can't figure out what this error means. The difference I have seen between the co...

Need help to get start with Distributed Application?
I am using powerbuilder 6.0 to create GUI / Presentation for win 95/NT user. My backend server is Sybase - Apdative Server 11.5. I would like to create business objects / components for the middle-tier server. I just don't know how to make a relationship between tables from relational database and object oriented database. Is there any book or documentations to help me start with object model design for my current relational database. Thanks for any help Ken Nguyen UC Irvine Take a look at the HOW Learning Edition included with PB 6. That would be a good place to star...

VB.Net Console application
Hi- I have 2 questions. 1) I want to create an application to be written using VB.Net that will run in windows task scheduler, and on hourly basis go and update database tables. I am guessing I need to write the VB.Net Command Line application for this one. Is that correct? Should I be building a different kind of application? 2) I created a Command Line project for VB.Net and renamed the autogenerated module1.vb to someOtherName.vb and then changed the module1 to someOherName, it throws compilation error, saying Module1.main is missing. Can I not rename module1 sub? Whats the si...

Web resources about - Application Unavailable, .aspx applications not working! Help, Please! - asp.net.getting-started

ACT development application volume falls between 2015 and 2014
Development applications dropped in the ACT in 2015 compared with 2014, year-end government figures show.

Apple patent application reveals exciting possibilities for twin-camera system rumored for iPhone 7
We heard a report in November that Apple was testing an iPhone 7 model with dual rear cameras , and a patent application published today not ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications ...
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased Over Two Week Period in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 27 percent from ...

Mortgage applications rebound
Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, for the week ending January 8th, versus previous week,