"Web Site" versus New "Project" >> "Visual C#" >> "ASP.NET Web Application"?

What is the difference in creating a new "Web Site" versus New "Project" >> "Visual C#" >> "ASP.NET Web Application" ?

 When and why should I use one over the other?

 Thank you in advance and I look forward to your answers!

0
summertime95

Web Application Project is an addin to VS. There are a few differences but for the short answer, it uses more of an older 1.1 style for compilation and distribution.

0
Curt_C
1/3/2007 10:03:30 PM
So, I should use create Web Site?
0
summertime95
1/3/2007 10:08:21 PM

There's a detailed comparison here.

Basically the difference is web application projects have a physical project file and resemble the “classic” Visual Studio 2003 web project model whereas web sites have no project file and are solely based on what’s in the filesystem.

I use web applications because I can control which files are in my project, whereas you don't have that flexibility with web sites (it's just everything in the directory).

Darrell Norton, MVP
Darrell Norton's Blog

DarrellNorton

"<->" as "->" with automatic "is rw"
I like that arguments will be readonly by default. But when I look at my current code, I see that I would be typing " is rw" quite a lot, which in my opinion is too long for a thing that occurs very often. Every such situation in my code is a foreach loop. A thing that in Perl 6 will mostly be used with the pointy sub declaration syntax. If I'm not mistaken, <-> is still available. It communicates "bidirectional" and that is more or less the same as read/write access. I'm proposing for zip(@foos, @bars, @xyzzies) <-> $foo, $bar, $xyzz...

mozilla mail composer: quoting problems
Hi, I have configured Mozilla Mail so that the composer works text-only, which means I don't edit HTML messages. Moreover, when quoting I have configured it to use ">" as the quoting sign. No problems so far. Now, when I'm writing a message and copy and paste text, now and then manually inserting a ">" Mozilla Mail doesn't recognize that as quoted text any more and when I send the message "> " gets " > ". Now the text isn't colored any more when messages are displayed in a folder. I'd like to disabl...

Difference between "=>" and ">=" in Perl !
------=_Part_2548_4517779.1216878348485 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline Hi all, I could be a very basic question but I am unable to find any answers on internet. What's the difference between "=>" and ">=" in Perl ? To the best of my knowledge, ">=" means greater than or equal to and "=>" is just used instead of comma to distinguish between key and values while assigning a hash. I am unable to justify the output of the following program (for &quo...

No "Available layouts" to "Add>>" to "Active layouts"
I have US English, Russian and Ukrainian languages in Country/Region & Language. The list of "Available layouts" is empty, any suggestions what to do? Before I removed few packages using YAST, so probably I miss some package? -- magner58 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > The list of "Available layouts" is empty, any suggestions what to do? i am confused....where are you seeing this "Available layouts"? is that in YaST System > Languages, or ??? -- DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)...

What is this for? "<label style=""display:none;"" for=""" & cboFieldType.ClientID.ToString & """>Type</label>"
I'm digging through the code of DNN and I found many ocurrences of this type of code: lblFieldType.Text = "<label style=""display:none;"" for=""" & cboFieldType.ClientID.ToString & """>Type</label>" What is that code for? The label is never displayed and I could not figure out what DDN uses it for. thank you This is for ADA compliance. The guidelines require that form elements have an associated label. This helps the text readers out with identifying the different parts of the form. BruceDynamic...

Bug in composer, HTML: "From " become ">From " ("&gt;From " in source)
Hi One of users of my extension send me a very strange bug report. > I think I may have found a bug. Was composing an email, and I saved it, and when I reopened it, there was the "greater than" character (HTML "&gt") inserted right before a capital F in the text: After tests I found this bug is not related to my extension, but to Thunderbird itself. Here are steeps required to reproduce this bug: 1) Open new HTML mail. 2) Type "From " (characters case and trailing space matters) 3) Press [CTRL+S], save in Drafts. 4) now go to Drafts, and ...

what's the different from "<page src="">" and "<page codeBehind="">"
what's the different from "<page src="">" and "<page codeBehind="">" Thank YOU how to make session' life longer? Thank You This very question was asked only 5 days ago. Searching the forums would have yielded the answer you require. However, see this thread. Steven BeyRecursion: see Recursion You can set a new value for the Session Timeout in your web.config file. Or, you can do it in a page through this property: Session.Timeout Note that if you choose the second method, the timeout will only be modified on this page,...

Query performance of "=" vs "<" and ">"
[This is a repost from ase.general] Suppose you have a large table (>5 million records) containing 15 columns including a numerical string column called ACTIVITY_DATE which is indexed (nonunique, nonclustered) and a numerical string column called TIMESTAMP which is indexed (nonunique,nonclustered). ACTIVITY_DATE contains a date string ('20081211'); TIMESTAMP also appends a time ('20081211 19:18:03.34923'). Suppose you want to return all events that took place on December 11th and suppose you had to choose between the following queries: - select col1,col2,col...

Query performance of "=" vs "<" and ">"
Suppose you have a large table (>5 million records) containing 15 columns including a numerical string column called ACTIVITY_DATE which is indexed (nonunique, nonclustered) and a numerical string column called TIMESTAMP which is indexed (nonunique,nonclustered). ACTIVITY_DATE contains a date string ('20081211'); TIMESTAMP also appends a time ('20081211 19:18:03.34923'). Suppose you want to return all events that took place on December 11th and suppose you had to choose between the following queries: - select col1,col2,col3 from TABLE where ACTIVITY_DATE='2...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

replace ">" with ">(carraige return/newline)"
I would like to break to a new line after every ">". This is a string I am writing to a file. I would think it would be easier to do to the string before writing to the file, but I'm not sure how to do either. "chedderslam" <chedderslam@gmail.com> wrote in message news:72f782d8-a3e9-4d5c-862e-f5bbef275326@q14g2000vbi.googlegroups.com... >I would like to break to a new line after every ">". This is a string > I am writing to a file. I would think it would be easier to do to the > string before writing to the file, but I'm n...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

Why is "<MyControl ... />" different to "<MyControl ...> </MyControl>"
Hi I have made a CompositeControl and had it working fine. The sequence of events was: Page -> Page_Load(), MyControl -> CreateChildControls(). This was fine because I had to set a certain property in my control during page load before CreateChildControls was called. Anyway.... suddenly it all stopped working and it turned out that the sequence of events changed to MyControl -> CreateChildControls(), Page -> Page_Load(). This caused it to blow up because the property was not set. After a few hours of pulling my hair out and undoing all the recent changes I had made it turns out...

Web resources about - "Web Site" versus New "Project" >> "Visual C#" >> "ASP.NET Web Application"? - asp.net.getting-started