"System.Timers.Timer" Help!

Hi

I am trying to get a 1 Second Timer to work without much success. Can someone please Help !
Development Environment: Microsoft Visual Studio VBasic.Net Active Server Page Web Form
Operating System: Windows XP
Here is what I have done:
1) Drag Timer component from Toolbox to Design Page
2) Visual Studio Created :

Private Sub InitializeComponent()
Me.Timer1 = New System.Timers.Timer
CType(Me.Timer1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()
'
'Timer1
'
Me.Timer1.Enabled = True
Me.Timer1.Interval = 1000
CType(Me.Timer1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).EndInit()
End Sub
Protected WithEvents Timer1 As System.Timers.Timer
Protected WithEvents lblDebug0ID As System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label
<\CODE>
3) I Double Clicked the Timer1 Icon in the panel at the bottom of Visual Studio designer Page it Created the subroutine. I added the code:
<CODE>
Private Sub Timer1_Elapsed(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Timers.ElapsedEventArgs) Handles Timer1.Elapsed
'Debug code to Watch Timer1 activity
If lblDebug0ID.Text = "tick" Then
lblDebug0ID.Text = "tock"
Else
lblDebug0ID.Text = "tick"
End If
End Sub

When I Run the Page I do not see tick/tock.
Please Help what am I missing
Frank A
0
albanello

a Timer is not going to work in a web page the way you are expecting

if you view each web page as a mini program,
your "program"
- loads
- processes events
- transmits output
- terminates
generally this all occurrs in a subsecond timeframe
therefore, your timer was set to fire after your page had already unloaded.
I would characterize a Timer and a web page as generally incompatible.
Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~

mbanavige
11/14/2004 6:36:43 PM
Thank You for your responce

If what you say is correct why is it a component in the toolbox and why are there examples of timers in visual basic .net books. I was able to do a digital clock with Java script when I was taking that course.
I am new to Asp.net so I do not pretend to be a expert but what you say does not seem correct. Is there anyone out there that can clarify this ????
Frank A
0
albanello
11/15/2004 4:36:11 AM
> what you say does not seem correct.

mbanavige is correct.
VB.NET usually refers to a Windows Forms application. Here, the interface and the processing occur on the same desktop machine of the user. Because of this tightness between the interface and the processing, a timer makes sense.
Javascript is similar, as it is run entirely within the browser ... so again the interface and the processing occur on the same machine. A timer makes sense here, too.
ASP.NET is different. The interface is the browser of the user. The processing is done on a remote server machine. They are often literally a world apart.
This means that there is an important latency issue between the interface and the processing(among other issues). Because of this latency, a timer makes no sense in this environment.

Alister
0
SomeNewKid
11/15/2004 6:28:14 AM
Thank You very much for your responce, I'v been going down the wrong trail. Thanks

Can you please point me in the correct direction. My assignment is to display a digital Clock on a web Page that is updated every second. How can I do this ? Is Java Script the Only/Simpest way to accomplish this ?
Thanks again.
Frank A
0
albanello
11/15/2004 1:38:22 PM
whatever you do needs to be done at the client.

javascript would be the simplest.
Mike Banavige
~~~~~~~~~~~~

mbanavige

Get "Mail"/"Get "News" / "Write"/"Post" buttons?
If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me and probably others from constantly forgetting to make the change before proceeding. :-) Or is there an extension to do this which I don't know about? Thanks! Bob Bob P wrote: > If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" > changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me > and probably others...

system "dir"; works fine, but system "dir foo.txt" gets an error
Running the script (below) from Bob Showalter brought a problem to surface on this win98se using ActivePerl 560 build 630. The line system "dir foo.txt"; returned "Bad command or file name". foo.txt does exist and I can run dir foo.txt within a dos box just fine. Interestingly to me, system "dir"; worked okay. I guess it just won't take an argument. So, have I installed Perl improperly? Bompa ######################################################## > Excuse me, I *do* see the "poop" you refe...

"Do nothing" timer in VB .NET
Hi folks,I'm developing an application where I need to implement a "Do nothing", or settling, timer in VB .NET. Can someone help me out on a quick implementation of this type of timer?Thanks for your help! I am not entirely sure what a "Do Nothing" timer is but this code will process, then go to sleep and do nothing for 10 seconds, then wake back up and continue execution.'doing code stuff'i need to sleepSystem.Threading.Thread.Sleep( 10 * 1000 )'after 10 seconds this code will execute.The Sleep method is in milliseconds, so 10 seconds time 1000 milliseconds per second....

"Help" does not start: "file:///fakefile#index" is invalid
Hi! My application Help/Hilfe does not show anything. The following messages does appear instead: > Unable to load page > The requested URI "file:///fakefile#index" is invalid Where do I get an index? I have jet reinstalled susehelp_en and susehelp_de but with no success. I use (normally) OpenSuse/SUSE Linux Release 11.1 Kernel Linux 2.6.27.45-0.1-pae Gnome 2.24.1 Can somebody help me so I will be able to help myself better with susehelp?;) Thanks pistazienfresser -- pistazienfresser ----------------------------------------------------------...

"Net use" not working in application that runs as "system"
Hello, I am trying to create an application object to distribute a program which during the setup procedure creates two local users on the workstation. I tried to set up the application to run as an unsecure system user and start the setup.exe. This method worked fine for quite a number of apps in the past. However this app needs a drive mapping to a windows 2003 server to start the setup.exe. Apparently under windows 2003 it is no longer possible to use the "net use" command when running a script as system user. I get system error 1312 "A specified logon ses...

"Net use" not working in application that runs as "system" #2
Hello, I am trying to create an application object to distribute a program which during the setup procedure creates two local users on the workstation. I tried to set up the application to run as an unsecure system user and start the setup.exe. This method worked fine for quite a number of apps in the past. However this app needs a drive mapping to a windows 2003 server to start the setup.exe. Apparently under windows 2003 it is no longer possible to use the "net use" command when running a script as system user. I get system error 1312 "A specified logon ses...

Trying to change the Register link to "signup" or "get started"
Can someone please tell me where to change the text for the Register link. I would rather it say "signup" or "Get Started" or something. I have spent a long time looking for a place to change this, but im stumped. Any help is appreciated You can do this by modifying the resource file for the User control.  This is how it is accomplished: Goto the menu:  Admin->Languages. Open:  Local Resources->Admin->Skins->User.ascx.  It will ask you to "You are about to create a custom localized file for this portal. Are you sure you want to overload default localized fil...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

Programmatically Populating the "mail.settings" section of "system.net" in web.config
I am fully aware that the system.net section of web.config typically looks something like this:  <system.net>    <mailSettings>      <smtp from="noreply@sample.com">        <network host="smtp_server_address" userName="myUsername" password="myPassword" />      </smtp>    </mailSettings>  </system.net>If web.config is so populated then this info is used for sending e-mails generally and al...

Feature Request: "Get Extensions" and "Get Themes"
I think that when you click on the "Get Extensions" or "Get Themes" links, it should open depending on your default window-opening behavior. For example, all new windows for me open up in new tabs. However, when I click the "Get" links, they always open in new windows. I can't even find an extension to do this. How hard would this be to incorporate natively? ...

"Get Mail" vs "Get All New Messages"
I have a few different email accounts set up in Thunderbird, and I'm using the unified view to view them. Recently, I noticed that the "Get Mail" button seems to only retrieve email for the first account (sometimes?). I'd like to click on that button and retrieve email for all of the accounts. I can get the behavior that I want consistently if I pull down the menu for "Get Mail" and select "Get All New Messages", but I'd prefer to get that in a single click if possible. I tried starting from scratch and recreating my profile, but I st...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

Web resources about - "System.Timers.Timer" Help! - asp.net.getting-started