"Newline in constant" and "Too many characters in character literal" errors. Dataadapters and datatables.

I'm getting the above errors on line 41 (parameter delcaration)... been hitting my head on this for a while.. please help.

public
static DataTable dtCleanVendorUsers(string username)

{

SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["VendorEvaluationConnectionString"].ConnectionString);

SqlDataAdapter dataadapter = new SqlDataAdapter();

dataadapter.SelectCommand = new SqlCommand("SELECT vendoruser_user_id, vendoruser_vendor_id, user_name, vendor_name, vendor_evaluated FROM vwVendorUsers WHERE (vendor_evaluated = 0) and (user_name = @username)", connection);

SqlParameter param = new SqlParameter(); <------------------------- SAYS THIS IS THE LINE NUMBER OF ERROR

param.DbType = DbType.String;

param.Value = username;

dataadapter.SelectCommand.Parameters.Add(param);

SqlCommandBuilder CB = new SqlCommandBuilder(dataadapter);

connection.Open();

DataTable dt = new DataTable();

dataadapter.Fill(dt);

connection.Close();

return dt;

}

Thanks, JKC

- Be a good developer, follow the W3C whenever you can.
0
JKC

My guess is that you forgot an ending quote for a string somewhere above the line generating the error.

0
cromar

What is the exact error message? And don't think this line will cause problem.

You can see the example here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c6tdby40(VS.80).aspx

Zhao Ji Ma
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Zhao

Why am I getting "Too many characters in character literal" here?
Why am I getting "Too many characters in character literal" here? <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %> I checked another project that compiles, and the line above is exactly the same...?Clay Shannon,author of historical works, novels, and art/poetryhttp://www.knowitallsports.com/booklinks.aspx Are you sure that's the line causing the error?That error usually happens when you use single quotes when you should have used double quotes. Please Mark As Answer posts that ...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

Get "Mail"/"Get "News" / "Write"/"Post" buttons?
If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me and probably others from constantly forgetting to make the change before proceeding. :-) Or is there an extension to do this which I don't know about? Thanks! Bob Bob P wrote: > If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" > changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me > and probably others...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

wrong character display ("�" displays as "�" or "?")
Using ODBC Sybase 11 router, the character "�", saved in a varchar column in Sybase 11.5 will display as "�" or "?" in SQL Advantage or in our application. This just started occuring once we changed our applications to use 32 bit ODBC connection, rather than DBLib 16 bit. What is really interesting is that our our old 16 bit application runnning on the same PC returns the characters correctly, while 32 bit application running against ODBC returns another character, usually the degree symbol. Both versions of this program are accessing the same data sou...

"To" and "From" missing

double quote

Replacing "\\" with "\"

Using "+" or "||"

replace the "." with a ","

"Using" or "With"

"Me" is better than "You"

Web resources about - "Newline in constant" and "Too many characters in character literal" errors. Dataadapters and datatables. - asp.net.getting-started