conversion of windows app to web-enable apps

guys i know this may sound strange but a friend of mine told me that he saw a software/application that can somehow convert windows application into a web-enabled application or at least make these windows applications accessible to the internet without rewriting the whole system... is there such a thing?Smile [:)]
0
danmbuen

Maybe he was talking about Smart Client applications?  These are still windows applications, but connect to the internet via such mechanisms as web services for data exchange.

Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton
3/31/2006 1:50:06 PM

mr. tmorton i found something i dont know if youre familiar with this.. (i think you are), could you give you insights thanks:)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/07/NetSmartClients/  -  Just like a Web application, a Windows Forms application can be deployed on a Web server and executed by merely surfing to a URL.

0
danmbuen
4/3/2006 7:03:49 AM

danmbuen:
at least make these windows applications accessible to the internet without rewriting the whole system
This description would apply to XML Web Services.

Why not go back to your friend and ask him what he or she meant? Surely that's better than asking a bunch of strangers to make a guess as to what he or she might have meant?

(By the way, Terri is a woman.)

Alister
0
SomeNewKid
4/3/2006 10:08:18 AM
danmbuen, I believe TMorton is a she.  If not, I will not only apologize, but will efficiently take me out of my game for the entire week.  hah.

Smart Clients are definitely cool.  I'm all about them.  Add in some security and hash based verification, and you're in a golden state.  I suggest you read the articles and books regarding them.  That's a very lengthy discussion if we go from the beginning to a full product, and I'm sure many will stop being entertained by the discussion.  If you have specific questions, I'm sure many, including myself, will gladly answer.

Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
4/3/2006 4:52:14 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions... I am already starting reading stuffs on Smart Clients.  I'll try to read some materials on Web Services.  I didnt notice TMorton is a sheSmile [:)] Sorry for that.
0
danmbuen

Determining if an app is a web app or a windows app
Hi all,  I'm writing a generic utilites class and one of the methods needs to get the physical path of the application. I know Server.MapPath("~") gets the server path of the app for windows and also that Application.ExecutablePath gets the path for windows app. Now how would i determine which app is a windows app or a web app?   Thanks in advance. add a reference to system.web and then do the following  if (System.Web.HttpContext.Current == null)            {       &...

VB.NET Data Grid, windows app to web app
Is it possible to make a Web Application Data Grid element with identical functionality as a Windows Application Data Grid? When I run the code as a windows application, it allows me to make direct edits of each database record through the data grid. When I run the code through a browser, however, it only displays the records. This is the code:Any suggestions? Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Dim connstr As String = "data source=SERVER;initial catalog=DB;user id=USER;password=PASSWORD;" Dim sqlStr As String = "SELECT * FROM Users" Dim dt As New DataTable Private Sub btnLoad_Click(B...

Web app to Windows app.
I’m new at this so please bear with me. In theory, is it possible to create a .net web application that can talk to a .net windows application? What I would like to accomplish is to use a .net web app to talk to Microsoft’s Windows Media Batch Encoder. Any comments are appreciated. Tome...

convert java web app 2 .NET web app
Hi, i am able to convert java console app to .NET console app.but i am unable to convert java web based application to .NET web based application. can u give me some idea as to how to convert that. Thanks in advance,nizam. I believe the technical phrase is.. rtfm?  lol.  you're going to have to do it the hard way.  JSP operates on a different theory of web development than asp.net/asp.net 2.0Kay LeeMySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragieInfrastructure GroupMySpace.com- Code to live, but Live to code. Try these two links for sample code and free book from Microsoft, ...

Web app calling a windows app
How do I get my web app to open a windows program on the server side using a button click evenT? First off you'd have to give the ASPNET user execute priviledges on the server which I don't think that you want to do.NC... Hi,If the windows Program is of exe format then try with the following codeTry to include the exe in to your web folder or the ASP.NET process needs to have permissions to access the external applicationstring filePath = Server.MapPath(@"ApplicationName.exe"); System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo info = new System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo(filePath , "Arguments of th...

connect web app to windows app
Hello folks.i want to connect web application(asp.net) to desktop application and transfer data but when some events triggered from user web browser. (for example live support packages)i know it can be done in win applications with sockets but I'm not sure for asp.net applications.Any advice/help greatly appreciated.   oh, no body knows? It is possible to wire into events on the client, but this is outside the scope of ASP.Net.  Presuming your Desktop APP is a dotnet app this is a Windows Forms question, consider posting here http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.asp...

Web app and Windows Forms app
I've done a lot of .NET web development, but I'm trying to write a Forms App.  I'm trying to populate a GridView Control with a simple "SELECT *" query, but I'm not having any luck.  I keep getting this error:"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections." I enabled remote connections on my SQL Server, then as a test I built a local web app that conne...

Web app called by windows app...
Hey everyone,Well I have not worked with .Net at all regarding windows apps etc. What I have is a website with a secure login. My customer wants all his employees to access the secure site without knowing the user name and password, as there is a high turn over rate. Is there a good way to accomplish this?My thoughts were possibly to create a windows app they could download and execute which would basically pass encrypted parameters to our secure login page, therefore logging them in and no one being the wiser.Is this poosible?Is there a better way?Hope I explained it well!Thank youJorellz...

running windows apps in web apps
Hi all, just to check it out if there is a way to run a windows app when a button in a web app is clicked.? Hi, you're referring to what's known as smart clients. You can place a windows forms executable in the virtual folder of your webserver (IIS of course ), then create a hyperlink in your webform to the executable. If the enduser has the correct .NET framerwok installed he/she can execute the application on his/her pc. Another trick, one I recently used BTW, is to embed a winforms user control, build as .dll file, in a webform. An example can be found here: Hosting a Windows Contr...

How to call a web app from a windows deskstop app?
 Hello,I need to call a web page from a windows application and I'm not sure how to approach this. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks! What do you mean by calling a webapp. Do you just want to load a website or web page in your windows application? If yes, then look into WebBrowser control. FYI, this is an ASP.NET forum.Thanks,MaxLet Me Google That For You! Hi i know is not the same but there is a thread that get close to what you need :  http://forums.asp.net/p/1271833/2406416.aspx"Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you --...

Send by Windows App - Receive by Web App
Ok. I've read something about Web Services (ex. http://abstractvb.com/code.asp?A=1004).I want to make:- Windows Application which after click the button would send string to the web page - example: "Server is online" or simply Boolean "True".- Web Application will receive this string and if is "True" than on the page is displaying information that this is true till the windows application will close down.How can I get simply that what I want ?I have a problem, cause I don't know how to receive information form Win App and make to display results on other sites.  OK, let me make sure I...

C# Windows App to C# Web App
I have a situation that reverses http://forums.asp.net/1011618/ShowPost.aspxThat says what is the best way to convert a windows app to a web app?Any thought? It´s hard to say when you don´t tell us how you have built your application. Do you use n-tier? If you do, it´s not that hard to convert to a web form because you can use the same classes with no/a little changes on the BLL & DAL.Mikael Söderström Check if any of the following artilces will help you;converting windows forms to asp.net web formshttp://www.suite4.net/products/form.suite4.net/win-web-forms/defa...

Delphi 7 app to web app conversion [Edit]
My company has an old Windows engineering application that we would like to convert to a web application so that we can offer it as a software as a service. The application is written primarily in Delphi 7 with the heavy number crunching done in Fortran (I did say it was old!). We would like to reuse as much of the existing Delphi code as possible and only modify the Fortran enough so that it will run in the background on the web server. We have never developed a web application so we're looking for guidance on the best way to make this conversion. Our questions at this point: ...

Web Apps vs. Web Sites (was: Universal Navigation for Web Apps)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Justin D'Arcangelo <justindarc@gmail.com>wrote: > there needs to be a differentiation between > web sites and web *apps*. > While we might be able to describe characteristics that conceptually separate a "web site" from a "web app", I think in reality they will exist on a continuum. Chris Jones is right that we need more data from actual app developers on this, but I can provide some anecdotal evidence by telling the story of a web app I worked on which got listed in a web app store. I worked on a web-b...

Web resources about - conversion of windows app to web-enable apps - asp.net.free-for-all

Gene conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene conversion is the process by which one DNA sequence replaces a homologous sequence such that the sequences become identical after the conversion ...

Sonny Bill Williams' transformation due to conversion to Islam, Anthony Mundine says
He went from being savaged for walking out on the Bulldogs to becoming one of the world's most respected rugby union stars. Anthony Mundine believes ...

Government report: End ex-gay conversion “therapy” for LGBT youth
... endorsed efforts to ban the practice, which aims to change a person’s sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. “Conversion ...

Tory MP: 'It is time to make gay conversion therapy illegal'
Gay-conversion therapies were debated in the house of parliament this afternoon with one Conservative MP calling for legislation to make them ...

Russian Minister Confirms Plans to Ban Bitcoin-to-Fiat Conversions
Russia's Deputy Finance Minister has confirmed the country's plans to penalise the conversion of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin into the ruble. ...

Get a free copy of powerful DVD ripping and video conversion software
DVD players are going the way of the Walkman, leaving many of us with vast libraries of obsolete discs. Of course the movies and TV shows themselves ...

This Texas Tech Two-Point Conversion Is A Work Of Art
Every college football play should start like this. Read more...

Advocates back Ohio bill to ban conversion therapy on gay, transgender minors
As a registered nurse and state-licensed social worker, Jody Davis spends much of her time helping others. But as a teen, she was put into conversion ...

4 Basic Conversion Optimization Fixes
One thing annoys me about conversion rate optimization. Want to hear what it is? It’s the idea that there’s a “hack,” “tweak,” or “fix” that ...

PRO-LIFE CONVERSION Ex-Planned Parenthood clinic reborn in Texas
PRO-LIFE CONVERSION Ex-Planned Parenthood clinic reborn in Texas