Code generation in Microsoft.net ( code that writes code ) Whats its future

Hello,

I was just reading a book about Code Generation in .NET. Its damn hard book to read.
What do u think is the future of Code Generation
HighOnCoding
Wanna get high!
0
azamsharp

It's being used now quite a bit.  Not necessarily out the box click a button, and you get an application, but applications will generate specific code to function dynamically.
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
7/22/2004 9:27:01 PM
the refactoring tools already available (and those that are destined for the new IDE) use the same techniques.  we will probably be building a code generator for simplified domain object construction (object classes, collection classes --can't wait for generics--, data maps, mappers, sham data, etc. all at once).  ideally, we could create some form of designer to make that happen for us.
0
hlaford
7/22/2004 11:04:13 PM

Code generation comes out of the box with visual studio.  As you probably already know, when creating web form objects, the code behind instantiation of these objects are dynamically created.  I'm currently creating a code generator for ASPX page (ASPXCodeGen) which will create 2 webforms and their code behind pages per table in your MS SQL database.  One webform (list) will list all the data in that table in a datagrid.  The second webform will contain webform objects for update/add of record to that table.  It will also create an Insert, Update and Delete stored procedures for that table which will be automatically added to the MS SQL database.  And many more.  I'm making a code generator to automate the same task I do all the time.  I think they are great and will extremely minimize the time to write code.

0
aspxcodegendude
5/11/2005 8:58:22 PM
I don't think he was talking about code generators.  I have long
wondered if it would be possible to create some code that could learn
and write it's own code in another app domain using reflection and the CSharpCodeProvider.  We would truely be in a new age if this is possible.

View My Blog Download My URL Rewriter and Reverse Proxy

Only $9.95/month, ASP.NET, 2GB & SQL 2005
0
nberardi
5/12/2005 1:44:23 PM
 nberardi wrote:
I don't think he was talking about code generators.  I have long wondered if it would be possible to create some code that could learn and write it's own code in another app domain using reflection and the CSharpCodeProvider.  We would truely be in a new age if this is possible.
i think people have been trying to do that for years

GO HOKIES!!!
0
Harold