You may receive the Error Message "Server Error in '/application name' Application" while browsing an asp.net application

You may receive the following error message while browsing an asp.net application

"Server Error in '/application name' Application
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off". "

This error might occur due to two scenarios.
1. There is an error in the application's logic with the inputformat, Type etc., and you have set the Custom Error Mode in the web.config to "On" and not specified a default redirect error page.
2. The web.config file is not well formed or having invalid characters and the application is not able to pick up the settings from the same.
Solution
1. Set the custom error mode to "Off" to view the error. After rectifying it and before deployment, change it to "On" and specify a default error page, as follows:-

<customErrors defaultRedirect="ErrorPage.aspx" mode="On">
</customErrors>

such that your users will not be able to see the actual error and get your friendly error page where you can politely say "An error has occured! Sorry for the inconvenience ..." .
2. If the above solution is not working (i.e. even after setting the custom error mode to On, the same "Server Error" occurs, then the likely chance is that your web.config file is not well formed and has invalid characters etc.,
To resolve, it copy paste the contents of the file to a notepad, save it as an xml file and try to browse the xml file in the browser. If the xml file is unable to be rendered by the browser and throws error, then you can find the place where the tags are not well formed or invalid character(s) exist and rectify them.
Things worth noting is Web.config is case sensitive and even trailing / leading spaces can cause the above error.
This article applies to .NET - ASP.NET 1.0, 1.1 Versions.

regards,
Harish

http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh
0
ranganh
12/21/2004 9:44:56 AM
asp.net.faq 380 articles. 0 followers. Follow

.NET Error Message "Server Error in '/' Application."
I continue to get this error message randomly for several .NET applications and I'm trying to determine if this issue is "Permissions" or "Application Configuration" related.  What are the necessary NTFS security groups and rights that should be applied to the file directories?  Or what is the resolution to resolving this complex problem? HELP! moblack29   The first step is posting the full error message. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue....

Server Error in '/application name' Application"
You may receive the Error Message "Server Error in '/application name' Application" while browsing an asp.net application. This Article explains the cause and resolutions for the same. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

"Server Error in '/' Application" in .net 2.0
I have a working application which suddenly stopped working with the message: "Server Error in '/' Application. The resource cannot be found" I use asp.net 2.0 and work with a file-system web (no IIS for now). My office runs the security updates on the network from time to time, and my guess is: this is the culprit. The app still works on my laptop. I did run aspnet_regiis. Just in case, although I did not expect it to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. More detail about the error message, please. When it says "Resource cannot be found" is it talking about your defaul...

Mysterious error : "Server Error in '/' Application" ?!?!
I use ASP.NET Form Authentication. When user browsed my web site, he received an error as this " Server Error in '/' Application.". This error is only happened when he uses Windows 2000, Windows 98 with Internet Explorer version 6.0.25XX. If he uses Windows XP , Windows 2003 with Internet Explorer version 6.0.3790.0, my web site is action properly !. Somebody please tell me what was happened, how we can fix this error. Thanks for all your advice....

Minimizing the "Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application" error
As I have seen many times in this forum, people have been posting problems with running their portal after building because of: Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: ? Source Error: ...

Error: Server Error in '/' Application. The "web.config" file is attached for your reference.
Dear All, I receive the following error & the web.config file is copied below for your reference. body {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size: .7em;color:black;} p {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;color:black;margin-top: -5px} b {font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:bold;color:black;margin-top: -5px} H1 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:18pt;color:red } H2 { font-family:"Verdana";font-weight:normal;font-size:14pt;color:maroon } ...

"Server Error in '/' Application."
One of the users on my website(www.control-line.org) keeps getting the following error: [UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The URI scheme is not valid.] The error happens inside of System.Web.HttpRequest.get_UrlReferrer on page load. The user who's having this problem is a MySQL/PHP/Apache user/developer and he is already insinuating that .NET is no good. I would love to get this figured soon so that insinuations do not turn into MS bashing. I have no desire in arguing: it’s tiring and non-productive. Please, any ideas, help would be appreciated! Steven Yampolsky P...

error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create the application <application>. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server."
after enabling ssl using iis certificate services, creating and installing server and client certificates; i encountered this message when i try to reopen the project in vs 2003. how to work with ssl web apps in vs.net. please reply asap......

"Server Error in '/' Application." (and no details)
"Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine. Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config...

Server Error in '/[Application Name]' Application.
HTTP Error 400 - Bad Request. Version Information: ASP.NET Development Server 8.0.0.0use VS.2005 using Language VB i create a 1st.aspx page and there is link where i call 2nd.aspx page on 2nd.aspx page i filling my dropdowncombo by database value on onLoad function...if i use Internet Explorer  it's working fine.. when i call my 2nd.aspx with Mozilla FireFox Browser the page comesup with the error which i already mension above plz tell me solution of this problem..thanx I'm afraid that you're going to have to post the relevant code. It's impossi...

Please help with "Server Error in '/' Application"
 I have IIS 5 and .NET 2.0. Website was made in VS WebDev 2005 ExpEd. Server Error in '/' Application. Specified method is not supported. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported.Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the except...

why i get "Server Error in '/' Application" with GetXmlHttpObject() ?
Hi All I am using GetXmlHttpObject() method for ajax  I am filling city dropdown according country dropdown through ajax.  That is working fine localserver , but at online server I get the flowing error "Server Error in '/' Application"  what is the solution of it      Please post the complete stack trace for the error and the code. Hi anup_phansa, You can check it following the steps: (1)Check whether your web.config is well format and has right format. (2)Please check whether your .net version has accordence...

Someone please help me... "server error in '/' application"
I am getting this error. I tried changing setting and it still gives same error? Any suggestions? Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: The value of the property 'mode' cannot be parsed. The error is: The enumeration value must be one of...

Runtime error: 'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for securit
Hi, p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } I'm trying to create a web site in a windows 2003 server. It's just an empty page, the default one created by VS2008, with nothing in it. I create the site from my remote computer, connecting to the server (I have access to the server as well with a virtual desktop).  When I try to launch a web site in a remote site (F5 or Ctrl-F5) I get the Runtime Error: 'An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (...

Web resources about - You may receive the Error Message "Server Error in '/application name' Application" while browsing an asp.net application - asp.net.faq