SQL Attached mdf database files VS database imported into or created in SQL Server 2005

 Hi all

(newbie @ asp.net)(oldie @ ASP 3)

What is the purpose of using an attached MDF database files in the App_Data folder on a web site as to importing it into the SQL server directly or creating it on the SQL server. Does a mdf database attached file purely use the SQL server as a connection interface.Is it something similiar to DSN(ODBC) Connections for ms access databases.

0
wstevens
4/8/2007 7:43:16 AM
asp.net.faq 380 articles. 0 followers. Follow

AFAIK it is only for deployment conveniance, I have always imported the database directly into SQL Server and set up the connection string accordingly.

TATWORTH
4/8/2007 9:40:22 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

0
wstevens

ms sql mdf database file attached vs created on sql server
 Hi allI have a question concerning sql database mdf files. In the old days I would user a ms access database. This file would be stored with the actual web files and would utilise a dsn connection. I have noted when designing with vwd 2005 express it allows you to use 2 methods of creating a mdf database. You can either create it as an attachment mdf or you can create it directly using sql manager. My question is, if you create the mdf database as an attachement file can you store it in the same manner as if you where using a ms access database, meaning can you store it with the w...

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

sql server 2005 do'nt attach sql server database file
I have sql server 2005 standard version. I want connect mu database file with microsoft sql server  database file.I receive ... provider: SQL Network Interface; error: 26 - error locating server/instance specified ... error.How to use local .mdf file with sql server 2005 (not express)  SQL Server (not express) doesn't support attaching on the fly of mdf files, so you need to do it manually. That is, open SQL Management Studio, right click the server, select attach, and that way you can permanently attach the database to the server. You'll have to use a normal connection s...

How to create SQL Mobile 2005 database from a MS SQL 2005 database?
Hi guys,I'm trying to find solutions to help me in creating a SQL Mobile 2005 database from a SQL 2005 database, with the same table structure and data.May I know how can I achieve this?Thanks.Regards,Jenson Hi Jenson, Visual Studio 2005 or SQL Server 2005 is able to open SQL Mobile 2005 database. However you need either SQL or .NET code to convert SQL Mobile 2005 database this way. Here is an example from MSDN forums which is to convert to xls instead: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=78640&SiteID=1Zhao Ji MaSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Suppo...

Importing DataBase from SQL Server to an mdf file attached to the project
Hi every body. As you can see in the title I would like to import my tables from the data base which is in the SQL Server, to an mdf file which can be attached to the project.Can some one give an indice please?  Which version SQL Server are using? With SQL Server 2000 Standard or better you can use DTS. With SQL 2005 Standard or better, you can use SSIS.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. Hello ,thanks for your reply, ...

Can microsoft SQL Server 2005 database upgrade to microsoft SQL Server 2008 database?
I have a microsoft SQL Server 2005 database, I don't know how to upgrade the 2005 database to 2008 database, I try to use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to open the 2005 database, it's OK, does it mean that the 2005 database have been upgraded to 2008 database? BTW, is SQL Server 2005 database compatible with SQL Server 2008 database completely?SuperCool Multiple ZIP - A utility to unzip multiple files and work with multiple zip filesSuperCool Random Number Generator Yes. It is compatible. Anyhow go through this url for more informationhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

How to create a copy of SQL Server 2000 database in SQL Server 2005 Express?
I have a database called 'DB1' in SQL Server 2000. I want to create the same database in SQL Server 2005 Express including the original data in tables. How would I do that? I cannot find any option to do this upgrade in SQL Server Management Studio.sun21170 Check out this:How to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2005 with the Copy Database Wizard Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! The article you mentioned does not apply to the 2005 Express Edition. The Management Studio for the Express Edition contains no Copy database opti...

Problem with showing diagrams when attaching a Sql Server 2000 database in Sql Server 2005
I have a database created in MS SQL Server 2000 with some tables and diagrams.I have attached that database in SQL Server 2005 but when i want to access and showthe diagrams i face the following error message :Database diagram support object can not be installed because this database does not havevalid owner,to continue first use the files page of database dialog box or alter the authorizationstatement to set the database owner to valid login then add the database diagram support object.I have created a role with required permissions but i still have the problem(I still can't show the di...

error creating mdf
Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to function properly.  please verify the installation of the component or download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=49251   I AM GOING TO RIP MY HAIR OUT WITH THIS PROBLEM.  I have reinstalled both sql server express 2005 and VWD about 5 times with the same problem.  please, please, please someone throw me a bone here  and help me resolve this problem.  When I create a new EMPTY website and I rightclick on my website in the solution explorer and choose add item, I chooe SQL Database, I...

Web resources about - SQL Attached mdf database files VS database imported into or created in SQL Server 2005 - asp.net.faq

Network-attached storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Network-attached storage ( NAS ) is file-level computer data storage connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous ...

Facebook + Twitter + Klout + Pinterest = No-Strings-Attached Dates? April Fool’s!
... and Klout, and then brings it into Pinterest and uses a “secret algorithm” to match up “like-minded Pinterest users” for “no-strings attached ...

Facebook proposes changes to privacy policy, affecting how users’ likenesses are attached to ads
... of rights and responsibilities, Facebook notes that users can tweak their privacy settings to decide if they want their likeness to be attached ...

Overly Attached Girlfriend - JB Fanvideo - Original - YouTube
Overly Attached Girlfriend, the original, Enjoy? http://narwhaljuice.com/overly-attached-girlfriend

Cat goes sky high attached to glider
Two people flying an open-cockpit glider in French Guiana forgot to check their aircraft for additional passengers, leading to a bizarre surprise. ...

A hefty price tag attached to light rail opposition
Governments normally honor infrastructure contracts made by their predecessors.

Thoughtful contribution to city debate comes with strings attached
Canberra can learn from Melbourne when it comes to urban rejuvenation.

New face grown from Xu Jianmei's breast attached in Fuzhow, China
A TEENAGE girl who suffered horrendous burns has been given a new face grown from one of her breasts.

Motorists willing to pay more - with strings attached
Motorists willing to pay more - with strings attached

With strings attached
With strings attached