Updating non-nullable field in SQL with default value through dynamic field

Hi,

I'm running Server 2008 and the 3.5 sp 1 Dynamic Data.

I've got a Dynamic Data application using Entity Framework for its model, and I have a non-nullable datetime field that I don't want to scaffold; I want the database's default value to go in every time. In my partial class in the entity project, I've decorated the field with [Scaffold(false)], and I've also set the field setter to be private. The field does not render out to the page (good), but it still expects a value and breaks when I try to submit the rest of my fields exposed in a DetailsView control. If I include the field, take off the scaffold attribute, make the setter public, and enter a value for it, it works (of course).

How do we deal with default values? Actually, my ideal solution would enable me to edit the field on some pages and leave it off the page on others, that is, I'd like to scaffold it selectively.

I've already tried the solutions on

http://forums.asp.net/p/1405372/3068025.aspx#3068025

 Thanks!

0
rpk1NorthBend
4/9/2009 11:07:38 PM
asp.net.dynamic-data 1365 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In the SSDL set
StoreGeneratedPattern="Computed"

Rick -ASP.Net UE  My DD Blog  DD FAQ
0
ricka6
4/10/2009 12:38:25 AM

Awesome! Thanks!

0
rpk1NorthBend

dynamic data: how to change default field value on edit/insert
Hi, how can i change the value when in edit/insert item mode. for example, i have a list (name, updatedby), when i click on edit or insert, i want to change the updatedby value to who edited/inserted the record. Hi Ferds, have a look at these: On Marcin's blog Dynamic Data Futures 6/25 update posted and on my blog DynamicData Default Values in ForegnKey_Edit & other FieldTemplates Hope this helps Steve Seeking the elegant solution.[Oh! If olny I colud tpye!]c# Bits blogOh, and don't forget to mark as answer any posts that help you Thanks, i was able to do it by creating a...

Working with a Non-Nullable Field with a Default Value in SQL Server Table Definition
In a couple of the tables I'm using in a DD application, I have a Created field. It is set to the smalldatetime SQL Server data type, doesn't allow nulls, and has a default value defined in the table of getdate().Here is the behavior I want for this field: I want it to appear on the List and Details pages, but not on the Edit or Insert pages. And when I insert a new record on the Insert page, I want it to get the default value set in the database. In other words, I don’t want to write code in the Web app to set the value (which doesn’t seem to be easy using LINQ to SQL, but that’s no...

Dynamic Data with ASPNET Data Service-Nullable Fields
 Hi,Firstly if this has been asked before, my apologies, but the forum search feature seems to be on holiday or strike today I have downloaded the  Dynamic Data Futures samples and am looking at the Dynamic Data site using the ASPNET Data Services provider and I have a stupid question/problem:Problem: All fields seem to be being treated as required, even if they are nullable??Example:Open the DD site, navigate to the Suppliers Table, click edit, make no changes, then click update. You get a validation message for each blank field saying that it is required.Checking the schema (edm...

Dynamic Data Field Order and Visibility of Fields
This is my first post to this forum. I have been experimenting with a slightly tweaked version of the Northwind database, upsized to SQL Server 2008. I created a new Dynamic Data project in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition, added a "LINQ to SQL" data class, and added the following tables: Category Customer SalesOrder Product OrderDetail The build works fine, and I get all the expected (VB) code and pages, and by default I have used DynamicDataRoute("{table}/{action}.aspx") Unlike David Ebbo's MIX08 presentation, the, Product...

Update Dynamic Data Fields
Hi all! When I change the selection of a Custom Field Templates that contains a DropDownList, I need to automatically change the content of another field in the page. Is it possibile? Thanks in advance.Marco Minerva, marco.minerva@gmail.comhttp://blogs.ugidotnet.org/marcom Hi, Please explain your requirement in detail.Regards,AvinashPlease don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. It is possible, but do you need the UI to display this value or could it just happen in Business Logic?Steve Seeking the elegant solution.[Oh! If olny I colud tpye!]c#...

Set service field value in Dynamic Data
In my project many tables are linked to aspnet_Application table by ApplicationId foreign key. I don't want the users to view or edit it, so how can I preset this value programmatically before the insert query is executed? I still have scaffolding enabled for this column (in order for DD to generate the right sql script) but I'm hiding this column/field in all my edit/list/insert pages. So ideally I'm looking for a place to inject my code right before DynamicInsert is executed for any table in my LinqToSql class. Thanks You can hide the column with [Scaffold(false)] and then...

SQL statement for querying data with dynamic fields
I am working on a project in which a customer wants to be able to list and search their inventory and display the items in a table/grid on a web page.Each item in their inventory has a set of properties - for example, manufacturer, price, serial number, name, etc.  The complicated part is that they want an admin to be able to modify/add/delete the set of properties.  So for example, they could add the attribute "size."   Given that, I think what is needed is 3 tables - one to store the set of properties schema, one for the items, and one to store the a...

file field as dynamic field
I have a requirement in my application1) User inputs some values and clicks "continue" button2) Based on the user inputs the file input fieds are displayed (number of  file fields vary) on the same page3) And then when "submit" button is clicked the files have to be uploaded.How can I implement this?I need to be able to use the file field ONLY ONCE when the submit button is clicked.Currently, since it is dynamic field, I am not able to retrieve the file.  You can save the file field values as a temporary file and upload it through FileUpload control in asp.net...

dynamic table,and dynamic field
ASA is excellent!But I need manipulate dynamic table and dynamic field,How to do? The Following is correct: EXEC SQL INSERT INTO MY_ACCOUNT( MYID,MYNAME,MYAGE,MYADDRESS,MYTELEPHONE,CREATEDATE) VALUES ( :pm_id,:pm_name,:pm_age,:pm_address,:pm_telephone,now()); When MY_ACCOUNT table is dynamic,e.g:MY_ACCOUNT1,MY_ACCOUNT2,MY_ACCOUNT3...,How to do? Thanks. mikenwonder@msn.com Currently, UltraLite does not support dynamic SQL statements. Which platform are you creating the application for ? If it is for Windows CE, then you can use ASA for CE which will give you what you...

Dynamic Data Entities
I created both a Dyanmic Data Entities and Linq to SQL Web site.  I have an autonumber primary key in my SQL database.  The Linq to SQL Model handles data inserts fine, the Entities Model does not handle this and I actually have to provide the sequential number in my data entry form when inserting a new record.   I would like to know how developers who use Dynamic Data Entities Web Sites handle this? Thank you.  Use ScaffoldColumn(false) to hide the PK. Rick -ASP.Net UE  My DD Blog  DD FAQ I am reading about this now.  Thank you. Will valida...

T-SQL dynamically excluding fields from update statement
Hi thereI have a stored procedure which does an update a bit like this:CREATE PROCEDURE UpdateMyStuff@StuffId int,@StuffDescription nvarchar(max),@MoreInfo nvarchar(max) ASUPDATE StuffSET StuffDescription = @StufffDescription,MoreInfo  = @MoreInfo)WHERE StuffId = @StuffIdI'd really like to be able to make updates of individual fields conditional, for example, don't update the field in question if its corresponding parameter is passed in as NULL.Can the stored procedure be modified to allow this?ThanksDavid You can use ISNULL function to check whether your pass through paramte...

Adding a default value to a date field in a update data grid
Hello, Got a datagrid here that updates a few records in a dataset the user adds to the columns in the grid. THe field is a date field and is formated as such {0:d} and ApplyFormatInEditMode="True" but I can's seem to figure out how to set the field to auto add the date when the update button is clicked. Trying to use this: <UpdateParameters><asp:Parameter Name="ToVendorShipDate" Type="DateTime" DefaultValue="GetDate()" /><asp:Parameter Name="ToVendorShipTime" Type="DateTime" /></UpdateParameters> I...

linking a sql field to point to the value of another sql field
is it possible to create hyperlinks in powerbuilder such that if you retrieve two fields from a database.. and want to display the first field on the screen and have it link to the value of the other field (when clicked) which is actually a URL address, you can? any help will be appreciated. thank you! ...

SQL Update Statement Set Field Value to Column Default
Is there a way to set a field value to the column default in an update statement? Eg. UPDATE Table2 SET field1 = DefaultValue where DefaultValue is the field1 column default in the table definition. The reason I need to do this is when I delete a record from Table1, I need to set the foreign key in Table2 to the default (I don't want to delete the record in Table2, just want to set the key to a default key). I could hard-code the default value in the stored procedure but I think that's just not clean. If I create a new instance of the DB and the default value changes, ...

Web resources about - Updating non-nullable field in SQL with default value through dynamic field - asp.net.dynamic-data