Problems deploying Dynamic Data web application using "Web Deployment" project

Hi,

 When I attempt to deploy a dynamic data web application using a "web deployment" project, only about half of the folders inside the "DynamicData" folder get copied properly. Here are the steps to reproduce.

Prerequisites:

  • Visual Studio 2008
  • .NET 3.5 SP1
  • Web Deployment projects add-on installed (I forget the exact name of this tool)
  1. In VS2008, go to File, New Project, Dynamic Data Web Application
  2. Right click on WebApplication1 and select "Add Web Deployment Project..."
  3. Accept the defaults and click OK.
  4. Right clik the web deployment project and select properties...
  5. Uncheck the box that says "allow this precompiled site to be updateable"
  6. Click OK.
  7. Right click "WebApplication1.csproj_deploy" and select "Build".
  8. Look in the output folder (WebApplication1.csproj_deploy\Debug\DynamicData).  You'll notice the field templates folder is missing.

If I switch on "allow updatable" then it seems to work... but I'd prefer to have that switched off.

Another interesting point, I've looked at the properties of all the DynamicData files and they say "Content" rather than "Compiled"... is this correct? If i try switching them to "Compiled", then i get some strange errors:

Keyword, identifier, or string expected after verbatim specifier: @
A namespace does not directly contain members such as fields or methods

Any thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated.

0
bbossche
12/17/2008 2:55:00 AM
asp.net.dynamic-data 1365 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Note that when you use non-updatable deployment, it is normal that you don't see all the files in the target.  Even the aspx that you see in there are actually just stubs (try looking at one).  But the big question is: does your app runn correctly after deployment?  If not, what error are you getting?

thanks,
David

0
davidebb
12/17/2008 8:25:39 PM

Thanks for the response. The app was not running correctly after deployment, one particular DynamicData page wasn't working...

So it turns out the problem was caused by something unrelated.  I had copied a custom filter from another example, and that filter was using CodeFile instead of CodeBehind. It took quite a while to find it, but once I changed it to use the right syntax the problems went away.

0
bbossche

Web resources about - Problems deploying Dynamic Data web application using "Web Deployment" project - asp.net.dynamic-data