Getting started with Dynamic Data!

Hi ,

Sorry I checked out the entire discussion but did not find any post for newbies! I installed .net framework 3.5 SP1  but when I tried to create a new Dynamic Data project, I could not find such an option in "File -> New Web Site"  or "File -> New Project". Do I have to install something else?

Please help.

arefkarimi
7/26/2008 5:22:18 AM
asp.net.dynamic-data 1365 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I'm asuming that when you say .net framework 3.5 SP1 you mean Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 Beta. If you cannot see the Dynamic Data templates when creating an new project/website then you have an installation problem please follow the instruction here  Dynamic Data Runtime which says:

Install Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 Beta (If your using Visual Studio 2008)

then:

Download the latest .zip package to your local machine & unzip the .zip file into a folder on your computer.
From either a VS 2008 command prompt, change directory to the folder you unzipped it to and run Install.cmd.
Dynamic_Data_Runtime_and_Templates_0718.zip

Note: Running it from the VS 2008 command prompt is very important.

Steve Big Smile

Seeking the elegant solution.
[Oh! If olny I colud tpye!]
c# Bits blog
Oh, and don't forget to mark as answer any posts that help you Big Smile
0
sjnaughton
7/26/2008 7:46:04 AM

arefkarimi:

Sorry I checked out the entire discussion but did not find any post for newbies! I installed .net framework 3.5 SP1  but when I tried to create a new Dynamic Data project, I could not find such an option in "File -> New Web Site"  or "File -> New Project". Do I have to install something else?

These options only appear if you chose Web Development settings.If you chose C# or general development for example, you'll have File -> New -> Project or File -> New -> Web Site.
You can change your settings by going to Tools -> Import and Export Settings.

Let me know if this was what you meant.

Maíra

maira

Dynamic Data And Ado.Net Data Service
Hi,I'm wondering if it is possible to mix up Dynamic Data and Ado.Net Data Service.I have found no information on google yet.Thanks for your replies, Hasan Yes you will be able to have a look at the Preview on Codeplext here the new Domain Service will allow this sort of thing see David Ebbo's and Nukhil Kothari's sessions at mix09 Microsoft ASP.NET 4.0 Data Access: Patterns for Success with Web Forms .NET RIA Services - Building Data-Driven Applications with Microsoft Silverlight and Microsoft ASP.NETSteve Seeking the elegant solution.[Oh! If olny I colud tpye!]c# Bits...

Dynamic Data over ADO.NET Data Service
I would like to create a dynamic data web site that does not have a database connection to the underlying database, but instead accesses the data through an ADO.NET data service.  Is this possible?  Thanks,Dennis If you look at the Dynamic Data Futures solution on CodePlex, it has an early version of something that does that.  Also, see this thread. thanks,David David,  That's exactly what I was looking for.  However, I am running into a problem when I try to develop my own dynamic data client site.  I created a dynamic data web site, added a referenc...

Dynamic Data with ADO.NET Data Services
Is it currently possible to use Dynamic Data with ADO.NET Data Services? I've had a play with this to see if this would work but I didnt have much luck. I ran the datasvcutil.exe against my service (which is a  ADO.NET Data Services on a LINQ to SQL model) but I ended up with a "The context type 'Entities.NorthwindDataContext' is not supported" message.  It seems to make sense that these technologies would work together...is there something else I am missing? Perhaps this functionality isn't supported yet? Thanks, Craig Hi Cr...

Dynamic Data WebSites Vs Dynamic Data Entities WebSite
Can anyone list some of basic differences between Dynamic Data WebSite and Dynamic Data Entities WebSite? When would you choose one over the other? Dynamic Data WebSites  requires a Linq to SQL data model. Dynamic Data Entities requires an ADO.Net Entity Framework data model.Rick -ASP.Net UE  My DD Blog  DD FAQ...

Preview Release of Dynamic Data and Dynamic Data Website Wizard Available
Today we are releasing public updates to Dynamic Data and some new tooling support called the "Dynamic Data Website Wizard". These new releases are available for anyone to download the code gallery site at: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/dynamicdata. Through this new site we will be able to release more frequent updates of these features. We would like to continue to have feedback on these new features via this forum. Here is a direct link to the download: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/dynamicdata/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=853 One of the very cool new features is th...

Missing Dynamic Data Website and Dynamic Data Web Application templates
 I have installed VS 2008 SP1 and .Net 3.5 SP1 but I still don't see the Dynamic Data Website and Dynamic Data Web Application templates when I try to create a new website or web application. Hi, when you choose to add a new project make sure that the targeted framework is indeed 3.5 and that you select the C# or VB.NET root node or in the Web node. Normally they should be in there. When I installed it on one of my laptops I didn't see them either. I didn't check the 3.5 framework and apparently it stood on 3.0 causing me to go like  until I found it. ...

Dynamic Data with ADO.NET Data Services #2
I'm using the DynamicData Futures Preview 2 DLL's to create an n-tier Dynamic Data website using ADO.Net Data Services.I'm trying to add Many-to-Many relationship support using David Ebbo's article as a basis, but it would appear that the client-side model generated by DataSvcUtil.exe (Add Service Reference....) doesn't contain enough information to identify Many-to-Many relationships?For example, I have Contacts and Regions joined through a ContactRegion table.  EF models this correctly on the server and DataServices exposes it correctly - With a Contact having a Re...

Dynamic Data working against an ADO.NET Data Service
 Is there an example available of Dynamic Data using an ADO.NET Data Service?  I read there are prototypes of this in the works, are they available for review / use?  Check out our Dynamic Data Futures for a prototype data source control for consuming ADO.NET Data Services. http://www.codeplex.com/aspnet/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=14475.Scott HunterPM, ASP.NET Team, Microsoft...

Adding ColumnOrder in my Metadata from Dynamic Data Futures to my existing Dynamic Data website
Hi,I currently have a dynamic data website (I did not use the dynamic data wizard) and would like to order my columns in my metadata file that I created.  When I put [ColumnOrder(x)] above one of my fields ie. public object Product { get; set; }  I get these errors: The type or namespace name 'ColumnOrder' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)  and  The type or namespace name 'ColumnOrderAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)  The  ...

Issue with Dynamic Data, ValidationGroup, ImprovedDynamicValidator and Dynamic Data Futures 7/16 update
Please see Part 4 - A DetailsView and a GridView using Validation Groups for what I'm doing with ValidationGroups The issue is with ImprovedDynamicValidator, when it's turned on via mapping in web.config my solution now fails on DateTime validation with: "Failed to set one or more properties on type Order.  Cannot convert value of parameter 'OrderDate' from 'System.String' to 'System.DateTime'". exception. The problem appears to be that when in debug and step through the ImprovedDynamicValidator code I find that the exception is not ...

How I modify the Defualt Url in DYnamic Data? Can I use Dynamic Data in a SUB FOLDER? Help
I am using Dynamic Data to manage the ADMIN section of my EXISISTING website.   So the site structure is: Root..... Pages.aspx, Default.aspx, more pages\Admin Folder.... Deafult.aspx, more pagea. Here is the Problem, when I visit the Defualt.aspx in Admin folder (WHICH I HAVE REPLACED with Dynamic Data pages) it loads the Deafult.aspx in the ROOT folder.I want to be able to set the Page that loads when the Dynamic Data sample is used. That is, I want to be able change the STARTING PAGE of a DYNAMIC DATA website. For example, say I have a Page in my Admin Folder named, Welcome.aspx...

Can I use ADO.NET Data Services with Dynamic Data Websites?
I would like to use Dynamic Data Websites with the proxy class generated from WebDataGen.exe.  Is this possible?  Also, does the SchemaCreator class support the Provider model? In the current CTP, Dynamic Data only supports Linq To Sql models.  In th next release, it will also support Entity Framework models.  However, it won't directly support ADO.NET data services, though we are looking at this scenario for a later release. thanks,David...

data, data, data
Hello, I need some advice on the best method to keep a database updated in this scenario. I have a local Solomon SQL Server where we keep our inventory. I want to build an application that will be hosted at a remote hosting location which provides a SQL database. I want to build the application to allow clients to access the inventory items and make requests based on the remote SQL data. The order will be sent to our fulfillment department via email; they will fiill the request and ship.  I'm not sure the method to do this while keeping the data current on the remote and the l...

Dynamic Data SP1 chokes on Northwind and AdventureWorks using ADO.Net Entity Data Model
Now that SP1 is out, I'm trying out DD with ADO.Net EDM and ScaffoldAllTables=true. I am using Northwind first and AdventureWorks second in two separate websites as my databases. Both render the My Tables page correctly. When you drill down 1 or 2 levels deep, it bombs. Example: Using adventureworks db, click on address table, then click on viewEmployeeAddress in the first row. I get this: A property with name 'Address.AddressID' does not exist in metadata for entity type 'DDAdventureWx.EmployeeAddress'.Is this supposed to work with ADO.Net EDM "right out of the ...

Web resources about - Getting started with Dynamic Data! - asp.net.dynamic-data

Iowa Caucus Analysis: How Microsoft Dropped The Ball, And Who Really Won The Night
Last night’s Iowa Caucuses delivered some unexpected results on both sides of the race. On the surface, the takeaway is clear: Cruz won for the ...

4-inch iPhone makes perfect sense for rumored Apple event in March
Apple's next event has been rumored to be taking place in Mid-march - there the company is likely to shake the industry up by splitting iPhone ...

Mini's Super Bowl ad stars Serena Williams and Tony Hawk
Filed under: Celebrities , Marketing/Advertising , Videos , MINI Mini has brought in some big stars to shine a spotlight on the new Clubman and ...

Your Non-Alarmist Guide to the Zika Virus
Zika virus, a previously obscure disease that had only caused a handful of cases in Africa and some island nations, is now a major global health ...

Report: Samsung Gear 360 VR camera to accompany Galaxy S7 launch
Samsung may be about to offer its own 360-degree camera, which could help bolster the content for its growing VR business. According to a report ...

New Trailer for LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Video Game is a Parody of the First Force Awakens Movie ...
A new trailer has been released for LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens , an upcoming action-adventure video game based on the most recent blockbuster ...

European Union and U.S. Reach Data Deal
The U.S. and European Union reached a new deal to facilitate trans-Atlantic data transfers, in a last- minute agreement designed to safeguard ...

Microsoft’s Band 2 update lets you do a lot more than just track your weight
Microsoft released its Band 2 late last year and now it’s updating its accompanying Health dashboard and app to add some neat features, like ...

How accurate are Groundhog Day predictions?
It depends which animal is doing the forecasting.

Pro-Europeans shouldn't exaggerate the significance of David Cameron's EU deal
The case for Britain staying in the EU doesn't rest on the concessions the Prime Minister has provisionally secured