Why won't dnn2 modules work under dnn3?

I can read at a lot of websites that modules developed for DNN2, won't work under DNN3.
Now, my intentions are to develop my own modules, skins and containers, but in order to do so, I need to know why things developed for dnn2, won't work under dnn3.

So there are my questions:
  1. Why won't dnn2 modules work under dnn3?
  2. What are the main differences between DNN2 and DNN3?
  3. Are there templates to develope modules for DNN2 and DNN3?
Any help regarding this subject is highly appreciated.

Erik Luesken
www.cupido-online.nl
http://netherlands.dnn-usergroup.net
0
Erik

ad 1. there are a lot of breaking changes between dnn2 and dnn3. Look here if you want to find out about the most of them: http://forums.asp.net/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=breaking%20change&f=OTc=&u=

ad 2. your own thread is a reasonable summary ... http://forums.asp.net/891244/ShowPost.aspx

ad 3. Vicenç Masanas has good templates for both dnn2 and dnn3 modules: http://dnnjungle.vmasanas.net/. The database templates make use of codesmith.  The Bonosoft DAL Builder Pro 3 is also capable of generating dnn modules: http://www.dotnetnuke.dk/Default.aspx?tabid=224

cheers,

erik

Erik van Ballegoij, The Netherlands
0
ErikVB

Compiling a simple module won't work with 3x dotnetnuke.dll
Obviously (maybe not so) there are different type definitions or classes etc.. in the 3x DotNetNuke.dll. When I attempt to compile a vb file into a dll using the 3.011 DotNetNuke.dll I receive the errors below, but if I replace it with the 2x dll it works fine with no errors. Can someone explain to me why this is so? Further, can someone direct me in modifying the vb file to compile under 3x (I.E a net resource, tutorial, document, or personal assistance) ? C:\dotnetnuke\bin\dev>vbc /t:library /r:system.dll /r:system.web.dll /r:DotNetNuke.dll ImportantMessages.vb Microsoft (R) V...

Extension Uninstaller won't work and won't uninstall itself
I have a complicated profile that I don't want to have to recreate. I'm using SM 1.0.5, and I want to uninstall all of the extensions that I've installed that don't come from Mozilla. These are my current extensions: Chatzilla 0.9.67+ Extension Manager 2.0 Extension Uninstaller API 2.0 FlashGot 0.5.9.995 NoScript 1.1.4.1 reporter.mozilla.org Roaming I want to uninstall Flashgot, Noscript, the Extension Manager and the Extension Uninstaller API; however, the Extension Manager doesn't work; it won't uninstall either Flashgot nor Noscript, and I don&...

Module won't die! Page won't die!
Hi, I've got a module on my page...it's all blanked out...(remnant of the site before it deleted my desktop modules directory and I had to reinstall the modules) that is returning an error. So I tried to delete this module but it won't delete. So I then deleted the page and that worked...except I can't delete the page out of the recycle bin. Any help? Quick Tip, Go straight to the database. Note the tab name, module name and any extra information related to the modules content. 1. If content is stored in table (e.g. HtmlText) go to the modules Table search for deleted modules (IsD...

won't work with sbcglobal.net (AT&T)
Name: Joe Theuerkauf Email: jtheuerkaufatjunodotcom Product: Thunderbird Summary: won't work with sbcglobal.net (AT&T) Comments: I've tried everything I can think of and I'm no slouch at pc's, but Thunderbird does not want to work with my sbcglobal.net mail. I have set the exact settings to what my windows mail uses and I still can't access mail with Thunderbird. I love this mail program's features but it won't work. Do I need to do something with my router. I also use Windows Vista and XP on my pc's. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Window...

portal.nlm won't load, so remote manager won't work...
Can't get any joy out of RM. This is on a 6.5 server with SP2 installed (though it says 5.7 SP1 at the end of boot...). Non-default stuff applied is MySQL and Veritas Backup Exec. Looking at the diocs it says portal.nlm must be loaded, but this isn't loading, saying it's UNRESOLVED I reordered the autoexec.ncf as per TID 10082078 Same thing happens on http-8008 or https-8009. Apache is working okay, I can get the basic server web welcome page. Any clues as to how I can get portal.nlm to load? Thanks, Pete. -- Peter Clinch Medical Physic...

Won't send, won't receive, won't do anything but send me rejection messages!
I keep getting messages such as these: Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum c= onnections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to re= duce the number of cached connections. Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SM= TP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again. I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one = of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, s= o there is no way...

User Control Question: Button Onclick Event won't work (won't fire)
Hi all, I create a webusercontrol and load it to home page dynamicly using Place Holder . However, the Button Onclick Event won't work (won't fire) in my Web user Control. Here are the codes. Partial Class test2 Inherits System.Web.UI.UserControl Protected Sub btn_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn.Click End Sub End Class  ************************************ I set break point to (Protected Sub btn_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn.Click). Can anyone tell me whats going wrong with my code? Thanks a lot! ...

Firefox crashes on start
I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've looked up and down google to try and find the answer to no avail. Suddenly, today, firefox stopped working. I was doing some maintenance on the computer and did the following: upgraded Spyware doctor and rescanned upgraded Registry Mechanie, did a registry fix and a computer optimization I have to assume the problem comes from there, since it was working fine before that. The first crash report I got referenced moveplayer@movenetworks.com. Since then, they've been different. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, nothing w...

Smart Tags won't open and some Intellisense won't fully work after installing LINQ CTP
I have installed the latest LINQ CTP.Some of the Intellisense stopped working. For example, writing:List<int> l=new with a space in the end, generally gives me a list of items, and List<int> is selected by default so I can press tab and get it written. After Installing LINQ it seems to be gone... Means no Intellisense is given. Only when hitting Ctrl+Space the list is shown but the default option is not selected.Another thing, when a smart tag is appears I'm unable to open it, hovering the small line expands the icon, but clicking the icon does nothing. Tried to hit Shift+Alt...

1. pages sometimes won't load 2. flash video players won't work
Name: Emmanuel Amodeo Email: emmanueldotamodeoatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 1. pages sometimes won't load 2. flash video players won't work Comments: Hi, pages often won't finish loading. I have had this recurring problem with FF 3.5 ever since the official release of the program. A page will show that it is loading, and will not show anything onscreen until I chose to reload the page (select the adress in the adress bar and just press enter for reload). Once I tell the program to reload, it will show the page pretty much instantly. If I chose to let ...

Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 "Search Messages" won't accept input
Name: John Email: LoveLearnatcableonedotnet Product: Thunderbird Summary: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 "Search Messages" won't accept input - won't work Comments: I've been using Mozilla Mail for more than a decade, dating to early Netscape versions, using the "Search Messages" function regularly. Now, having installed Thunderbird 2.0.0.6, that functionality is suddenly lost. It doesn't display a box into which search strings may be entered, and doesn't appear to offer choice of searching message bodies. This is a huge loss to me. Will reinst...

Which modules won't work with Blowery?
I'm getting ready to add blowery to my 3.2.2 site to give it a much-needed speed boost, but I've seen warnings that some modules may break when you start using compression. So far, so good in my test environment - the File Manager isn't working properly under blowery, but I think I can live with that. For future reference, though, I would like to get an idea of any modules that people know of that will break with blowery.Thanks! You can exclude file types from Blowery compression to ensure everything works as planned. Here is my web.config section, note it excludes zip fles <blowery.we...

Firefox won't load; can't get it to work!
Name: Robbie Email: torocityatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox won't load; can't get it to work! Comments: I'm running Windows 7, and I can't get Firefox 3.6 to work. I get the following message when I try to run it: We're sorry. Firefox had a problem and crashed. We'll try to restore your tabs and windows when it restarts. To help us diagnose and fix the problem, you can send us a crash report. I've tried to reinstall, to run in Safe Mode, and to do the dozens of things suggested on the Internet, but I can't run Firefo...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

Web resources about - Why won't dnn2 modules work under dnn3? - asp.net.dotnetnuke