Which modules won't work with Blowery?

I'm getting ready to add blowery to my 3.2.2 site to give it a much-needed speed boost, but I've seen warnings that some modules may break when you start using compression. So far, so good in my test environment - the File Manager isn't working properly under blowery, but I think I can live with that. For future reference, though, I would like to get an idea of any modules that people know of that will break with blowery.

Thanks!
0
dnngirl34

You can exclude file types from Blowery compression to ensure everything works as planned. Here is my web.config section, note it excludes zip fles

<blowery.web>
<httpCompress preferredAlgorithm="gzip" compressionLevel="high">
<excludedMimeTypes>
<add type="image/png" />
<add type="image/jpeg" />
<add type="image/gif" />
<add type="application/zip" />
<add type="application/x-zip-compressed" />
<add type="application/x-gzip-compressed" />
<add type="application/x-compressed" />
<add type="application/octet-stream" />
<add type="application/pdf" />
</excludedMimeTypes>
<excludedPaths>
<add path="Install/" />
<add path="WebResource.axd"/>
</excludedPaths>
</httpCompress>
</blowery.web>

Regards, Nick

Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net
0
nbc
5/6/2006 6:04:10 AM
I have noticed problems with downloading in Firefox on the core Repository module and the Documents module, but IE seems to work ok.

Pity I didn't know about these mime-type excludes earlier - see this post:
http://www.dotnetnuke.com/DotNetNukeProjects/ModuleRepository/Forums/tabid/905/forumid/54/threadid/33565/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Rodney

0
rodneyjoyce
5/8/2006 11:19:56 AM
Yeah that what I meant about using the excludes to get around problems with modules like the one in your thread. Cheers
Regards, Nick

Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net
0
nbc
5/8/2006 12:01:32 PM
hi, i just added blowery to my web.config -- but noticed that all the edit/delete record options in my datagrid no longer function.  i don't want to exclude these pages from compression.  any ideas?

thanks, c
0
relish27
7/11/2006 10:37:49 PM
You might want to consider using Sark Web Compression, I had endless problems with Blowery, including things such as empty pages etc, after replacing it with sark everything has been working perfectly.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." --Albert Einstein
0
fpstevens
7/25/2006 9:04:31 AM
Can you give a link for Sark Web Compression please? I can't find it on Google.

Rodney

0
rodneyjoyce
7/25/2006 11:17:16 AM

I had a look and it no longer seems to be available, I've been working on my own implementation based on it, but it took a bit of a back seat, if you can wait a few days I can finish it I currently use a basic version of my implementation on some of my and my client sites.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." --Albert Einstein
0
fpstevens
7/25/2006 5:54:18 PM

I just released a free module that does compression and page caching.

It uses some of Ben Lowery's compression module code, but it only compresses request content-types of "text/html" so you don't have t exclude as much.

It also does dynamic page level caching which can really increase the performance on an ASP.Net site.

Check it out here:

http://www.snapsis.com/OnlineStore/BrowseProducts/tabid/589/ProductID/9/Default.aspx

John M.

DotNetNuke Module for Performance