Visual Studio.NET VB.NET Edition for DNN?

I have been plugging along using the Handcoded method for Module Development up to this point and although I have been successful I'd like to possibly make the jump up to Visual Studio. I was looking at Microsot's Website and there is a VB.Net only version that lists for only $109 vs. the $1000+ for the full fleged Professional Edition. Is it possible to adequately develop for the DNN platform using this trimmed down (VB.NET only) version of Visual Studio 2003?

0
motleyman

The VB.NET 2003 package is more than adequate for DDN moodules or full-blown ASP.NET applications.  Highly recommended...

mikez
0
mzns1
10/25/2004 8:06:37 PM
I'll second that. I used the vb.net version for quite sometime before getting the full fledged vs.net. I never felt that I had to upgrade, the only reason I did was that we purchased an MSDN membership that came wit it. The membership made sense for us as there were several other compononents we needed/wanted.
0
gsellman
10/25/2004 9:45:34 PM
I believe that Microsoft was GIVING AWAY a VB.NET version FREE for simply providing review feedback on their new developer films.  You might want to trawl the MSDN site.
0
rlyda
10/25/2004 10:15:52 PM
That is great news - thanks for the feedback. I wasn't aware that there was such an economical way to go or I would have done it already!

It probably didn't hurt to learn the hard way first anyhow.
0
motleyman
10/25/2004 11:57:35 PM
Well, speaking as a old handcoder, I see the benefits of both.  I had the pre-net visual studio, and did a lot of FoxPro and VB stuff, was always amazed at the tools available.  Seemed I never had enough time to really learn all of the ins and outs.  When ASP came along, got into doing things with a different approach, then never quite got up to VS.Net budget wise.  But the good news is I was lucky enough to get my hands on a promo copy of VB.Net, and am happily learning it.

Although, at work I still HandCode, because I can't load the promo version there, they're funny about licensing that way, even if I unload it at home. Anyway, go for it is my response, it's pretty cool. Hope I can upgrade to the full featured product this summer, but if not, I think I'll get C# too. But I won't give up handcoding altogether, guess I just like to control the process sometimes, it's good to know how to do it both ways. Good luck...
iwonder
Mission, KS - USA
0
iwonder

Visual Studio.Net and VB.Net
Can we install VS.Net and VB.Net on the same machine and work side by. Is there any thing I need to worry about? I use VS.Net enterprise for my office work and I am planning to buy VB.Net standard for my personal use. Before I goahead and buy, I wanted to make sure that it works. Thanks for your help. Anil...

Visual Basic.NET or Visual Studio.NET?

Visual Studio .Net? Visual Basic .Net?

VB.NET vs. C#.NET Behavior of Visual Studio
I'm transitioning from coding in VB to coding in C#. Maybe I have something set wrong, but a behavioral difference is driving me bananas. When I edit a VB source file, the two drop-downs at the top of the edit view are Class Name and Method Name, and it makes it easy to add a new event handler for any of the controls on the page. Choose which one on the left, pick your event on the right, and VS inserts an empty, properly formatted subroutine. In C# mode, however, those two drop-downs are labeled Types and Members, and there doesn't appear to be a way to tell it to create the empty framew...

Visual C#.Net vs Visual Studio.Net
I have read in other posts a lot of people recommending Visual Studio.Net over the Web Matrix. My query is: why is there a £700 difference between VS.Net and Visual C#.Net? As a c# developer, I won't need any VB functionality. I also don't require Visual Source Safe, as projects are generally small and manageable. What features are lacking in Visual c#.net that justifies the price difference? Does it have Intellisense / Dubuggers / Compilers? These are the features that would make me pay for it instead of continuing with WM, but I need to know if tehre is serious functionality missin...

How to allow multiple people to work on same project ? (VB.NET w/ Visual Studio.NET Pro)
Hey All, I just recently purchased Visual Studio.NET 2003 Professional as both my boss and I are going to be jointly working on a project. We are having troubles figuring out how to allow eachother to work on the same project though. Ideally, we would be able to either share a folder, or put the project on our network drives, and work on the project at the same time. How can this be done? THanks This was the answer: You need Microsoft SourceSafe. This software can be purchased seperately, or you can get it when its included with VS 2003/2005 Enterprise Edition ...

Web resources about - Visual Studio.NET VB.NET Edition for DNN? - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Evening Edition
New news site from my pals at Mule Design: The perfect commute-sized way to catch up on the day’s news after a long day at work. Smart, concise, ...

Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition (1910–1911) is a 29-volume reference work, an edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica . It was developed ...

Legal Tech Black Friday Edition
Legal technology columnist Jeff Bennion reports on some of the cooler gadgets that have come out lately.

Whose Shoes? The Fuzzy Slipper Edition
Taking a page from a old FishbowlDC series , we present Whose Shoes? the TVNewser edition (for one time only, we’re pretty sure.) These shoes, ...

Price Drop: The Cursed Ship, Collector’s Edition
The Cursed Ship, Collector’s Edition (Full) 1.0 Device: iOS iPhone Category: Games Price: Free, Version: 1.0 ( iTunes ) Description: Head ...

BMW Shadow Sport i3 brings limited edition moon roof to US
Filed under: Green , BMW , United States , Electric All-black, moon roofed-version costs $5,000 extra, but it's a limited edition.

LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition launch cancelled
The hotly anticipated LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition the first Android Wear device with cellular support may never be released. LG has cancelled ...

Why this scene in 'Return of the Jedi' is the most disappointing from all of the 'Star Wars' special ...
... though it seems pretty pedestrian by today's standards. Watch the sequence here: Lucas was never satisfied. When he released a special edition ...

LG shelves Urbane Second Edition smartwatch due to hardware issue
Company stops sales of timepiece, touted as first Android Wear smartwatch with cellular connectivity for placing and receiving calls even when ...

Minecraft Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Edition finally have redstone
... Now you’ll finally be able to do some redstone wizardry on your mobile or Windows 10 device, as it’s finally come to Minecraft Pocket Edition ...