Visual Studio 2005 Express and SQL server 2005 Express

Just a question from a Microsoft Freak.

Wil dotnetnuke in the nearby future support SQL 2005 Express and wil there come a "template" for modules for Visual Studio 2005 Express ?
0
apronk

I guess that depends on what you understand by "nearby future".

I think SQL 2005 Express will work with the current version already (haven't tried however) and with such a big community I think maybe someone will eventually create a template ?

Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
1/2/2005 10:09:48 PM
Well, let me be the test case. I'l try it this evening and come back to you an the answer about SQL 2005 express. About the visual studio 2005 express template: any volunteers ?  ;-)
0
apronk
1/2/2005 10:12:35 PM
I think the template will have to wait until DNN can actually be used with VS2005 Express ?

;-)
Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
1/2/2005 10:19:44 PM
Sorry, am not a developer. I know how to install Dotnetnuke and how to create skins (Basicly webadmin tasks) but don't know how to develope webbased applications.

That's why I am interested in the visual studio 2005 express because Microsoft advertises with it that it's easy to use, even for a n00b like me ;)
Didn't know there could be compatibilty issues between VS 2005 Express and Dotnetnuke 3.
0
apronk
1/2/2005 10:27:56 PM
I think that until SQL 2005 Express reaches release candidate state -- and DotNetNuke 3.0 does the same-- its probably a little early to speculate.

But we do know that DNN is extensible enough that if the standard DAL does not work with 2005 Express, then someone could write a new DAL that will.
--Thegoldwater
Best,

Tim Patterson
0
thegoldwater
1/2/2005 11:08:25 PM
As far as I know DNN works with sql 2005 already. Strictly speaking as it's a beta product, and microsoft haven't released a go-live licence, you shouldn't use it in production. One caveat to note is that DNN does not work asp.net 2.0. If you install vs.net 2005 or any of the express products, they install .net 2.0, but also update the IIS mappings. If you change the iis mappings back to 1.1 (you can run both copies of the framework side-by-side) using aspnet_regiis, you can get DNN running under 1.1 using a database running under 2.0.

As for the vs.net templates, I'm sure if the existing ones don't work under vs.net 2005, Vicenc will have a look at creating new versions. He had the vs.net 2003 dnn 2.x versions updated to dnn 3.x versions, while we were still testing early betas.
Cathal
0
cathal
1/3/2005 2:14:42 AM
Any ideas when framework 2.0 will be supported by dotnetnuke ?
0
apronk
1/3/2005 12:27:48 PM
Ok, tried it with SQL Express 2005 and it did work although it did take some time.

Visual Studio 2005 Express however can't run on the same system because there are two versions of the .net framework 2.0 running.
Offcourse it's all in Beta so I expect it to be a lot more stable with the final release.
I hope you guys use the .net framework 2.0 in a release as soon after it's out of beta.
0
apronk
1/3/2005 7:22:44 PM
Some of the problems we've seen with .net 2.0 are around some of the directory names and their uses. As this are still fluid, I would not expect we will be looking too closely until a release candidate for 2.0 comes out, so as no to waste unnecessary time, though individual coreteam members will no doubt look at this in their own time. Please note, a lot of ground work is already done, not least with the current 3.0 efforts to ease transition. Shaun posted on this a while back.

Cathal
0
cathal
1/3/2005 7:59:10 PM
The problem is that ASP.NET 2.0 doesn't seem even close to being stable, and the APIs are still changing, so there's not to much point ot doing a LOT of work on 2.0 compatibility. This is, at least, my impression.

Matt
Matt Fraser
DotNetNuke Core Team
Liquid Platinum Technologies
LoanWeb
4Insurance
4Homes
0
liquidpt
1/3/2005 8:22:47 PM
" though individual coreteam members will no doubt look at this in their own time ".

Hey, we have own time too ???
;-)

Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
1/3/2005 8:44:19 PM
sure, We're allowed 30 minutes a day for sleep, you can use some of that time...:)
0
cathal
1/3/2005 11:31:13 PM
What, a FULL 30 minutes....you must have been promoted to inner core team!
0
RLyda
1/4/2005 3:30:36 AM
>>a lot of ground work is already done ...

You mean stealthily DNN 4.0 with ASP.NET 2.0 and SQL Express 2005 is already being prepared in Core? ;)
Great !!! We all love it. :)
0
IndianGuru

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.  I really re...

SQL Server 2005
I'm very confused.  I installed Visual Studio 2005 and thought I understood that SQL Server 2005 came with it, but it appears that it's SQL Server 2005 - Express.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get Data Transformation Services loaded or the equivalent of DTS in SQL Express?     beejay I have to say: actually SQL Express, not SQL2005 full version, comes with VS2005. To manage your SQL Express databases much easier, you can download a Management Studio Express from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ Then you can...

Visual Studio 2005 Standard with SQL Express and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi folks,I had visual studio 2005 Standard edition (with SQL Express) running. Then I install SQL Server 2005 Developer edition.It generally worked however some part of SQL Server Developer did not work properly (namely diagrams). I browsed the internet and found something that said I should install the .NET Framework Service Pack 1. I did so. It fixed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition however it seems to have broken portions of Visual Studio. Specifically, typed dataset. I could add a dataset however I could no longer configure or add a table adapter. Telling me the "data provider may ...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

SQL Server 2005 Express and Visual Studio 2005 Standard
Hi everyone,I am trying to connect to SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services from Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition.  I have SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition but it took up so much space and resources on my computer that I didn't want to put it back on there.  So I put the SQL Express on there and while the Management Studio application connects just fine, VS 2005 will not.  Oddly enough, VS 2005 connected just fine to SQL 2005 Standard.  I have enabled shared memory, named pipes and TCP/IP.  I have set up SQL Express to accept remote connections on named p...

How can i onnect Visual Basic Express 2005 to a remote SQL Server Express 2005?
HiIm trying to connect Visual Basic Express 2005 to a remote SQL Server Express 2005. I cant find how i can do that in VB.net Express.In Web developer there are no problem to connect to a remote SQL server but i cant find it in VB.net Express. The XP with the SQL server that i want to connect to is on the local network. Greatful for help! You may check this link:http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/features/data/If you need a admin tool for the SQL Express databases, you can dowload Management Studio Express from here:http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download...

Problem with Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services
I install the  SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services   and now the visual studio 2005 only show the start form and mothing more , with bussines intellegence studio is the same. what i can do? Thanks...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Web resources about - Visual Studio 2005 Express and SQL server 2005 Express - asp.net.dotnetnuke

The Indian Express: Latest News, Breaking News Live, Current Headlines, India News Online
Indian Express covers latest news from India, all exclusive current headlines and India news live, including latest breaking news on business, ...

Local news, sports, obituaries, classifieds and more - Tallmadge Express
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Gov. Chris Christie, who once famously called himself "the healthiest fat...

Sussex Express
Search continues for boy swept out to sea at... The search has continued today (Monday October 28) for the 14-year-old local boy who was swept ...

Outlook Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mac OS 9 ,, Windows 3.x , Windows NT 3.51 , Windows 95 , Windows NT 4.0 Outlook Express is an email and news client that is included with Internet ...

Express Scripts offers $1 alternative to $750 pill
After drug company's owner announced a 5,000-percent price hike earlier this year, a less expensive option will soon be available

Express Scripts partners with drug company to produce $1 version of Daraprim
Patients suffering from a rare parasitic disease will soon have a low-price alternative to Daraprim, the lifesaving drug sold by Turing Pharmaceuticals ...

Express Scripts To Offer $1 Version Of Drug That Skyrocketed To $750/Pill Overnight
... of Daraprim skyrocketed to around $750/pill, resulting in angry doctors , and a Senate investigation . Today, pharmacy benefits giant Express ...

Special Operators Take Poll On Women In Combat, Express Three Particular Concerns
Special Operators Take Poll On Women In Combat, Express Three Particular Concerns

Martin Shkreli Questioned By Express Scripts' Chief Medical Officer
During his Q&A at the Forbes Healthcare Summit, Martin Shkreli shared an exchange with the Chief Medical Officer of Express Scripts.

Express Scripts offers low-cost alternative to $750-per-pill drug
Express Scripts offers low-cost alternative to $750-per-pill drug