User Profiles - uploading a photo for a user

Hi

Whats the best way for uploading photos? Is there a DNN control or standard?
I need to store a photo against a user for my UserData - User Profiles module (see dumbTV for 90% finished version - click on any username to see the details - some of them have photos already from my old site, but theirs no way to maintain them currently). I really don't want to have to code this all again and I was hoping this would be in a control already I could just add to my form?
And also, how/where should I store it? Under PortalID\Profiles\UserID? Or do I dump them all into the root (I know in DNN3.0 there's gonna be better use of the folders (cool!) Whats the preferred practise for storing uploaded files for a particular module?
To keep it simple for the first version I'd imagine I'll only allow a user to upload one photo (and replace it/delete it) - I know the Gooddogs Repositry does uploading - is this custom code or inbult into the core?
Any suggestions appreciated!
Rodney

0
rodneyjoyce

I built a custom module called Extended Profile to store all the additional information I needed.  It may not be the best way, but it works.  As far as storing the images, I created a sub folder under the PortalID, but did not limit it to profiles, but more of an user image folder.  When I designed this part, I used PortalId/UserPhotos/UserId, but I would suggest using PortalId/userPhotos/Username.  In my extended profile section, I created a paged datalist that the user could simply click on a photo and then click the update button of their extended profile, with the database storing the image.  Currently, the only way to upload a new image is through the FTB2, but I have another module I created that looks similar to the Yahoo photos as far as listing pictures. It also allows administrators to view user photos and upload images for them, as well as resizing of the image if desired.  I am waiting on doing anything more on this to see what DNN 3 and more specifically CS 1: Gallery have in them.   As far as organization, I would not dump all the photos into the root, I would probably go the DNN 3 route and just decide how you want to store the folder structure.
Jeremy
0
joldham
10/20/2004 11:53:28 AM
Hmm - thats a very informative answer - thanks Jeremy!

I didn't think about storing the image in the database as a blob - I'm not sure I would do that but it's an idea!
Yeah - I use nGallery and I think one day they will allow users to upload their own photos, so I am not going to work on that - purely one photo to be associated to a user for their Profile.
Aahh- yeah - thats a good idea - dump the photo in a User specific folder and then browse it as a thumbnail and they can select it... I was hoping there would be a custom control that would have a kind of selected for a file and then upload it to a pre-configured location (I haven't looked at FTB2 yet at all but will do so now!)

Rodney

0
rodneyjoyce
10/20/2004 12:01:45 PM
Hi Jeremy

I am looking at doing something similar - a custom user profile module where the user uploads their own photo. Do you have anything that you could share codewise?
Regards
Regards, Nick

Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net
0
nbc
10/20/2004 12:25:17 PM
After a bit of trawling I found this post

Vicenç - did you get anywhere with this or did it become part of the core?

Rodney

0
rodneyjoyce
10/20/2004 12:28:19 PM
Nik,

Drop me a line offline. jeremy_oldham AT DELETENOSPAM hotmail.com
rodneyjoyce,
I actually do not store the image in the database as a blob. I simply store the filename with the userid and the rest of the extended profile information. When I return the information from the database, I build the image url string based on the userid (I would use username) and the filename. Something like portalid/UserGallery/userid/filename. Hope this helps.
Jeremy
0
joldham
10/20/2004 1:49:42 PM
Has anyone ever thought about "modularizing" the User Profiles?  It seems everyone as different profile needs.  The DNN Core even provides a serialized structure to store anything they did not think of...  But where is the extensibiliy of the UI?  Sure we could manually edit the ASCX and insert a reference to our own ASCX.  I think that having extra panels of specialized info in additional controls is right in line with DNNs modularization....but where is the framework?  Perhaps being able to install modules and then to add them (via UI) as panels to the User Profile ASCX...
0
rlyda
10/20/2004 2:04:11 PM
Well my UserData module extends this area - BUT it's not extensible through the web UI... I was planning on releasing it as a source starter kit but it's more for programmers (I added a couple of fields like Date of Birth, Middle name, Title, Nick name and About Me, but you could extend it as you like...

My new Profile stuff just shows a consilidated view of all this extra info - the hardest part is editing all the other content controls to link to my profile module whenever a user name is mentions (for example, I edited Scott's cool Users Online to now how the username as clickable so you can see more about the person (see dumbTV for eg.)
But now I'm just trying to not reinvent the wheel when I do the photo upload part of it! I suppose I'll have to dig through the File Manager and see what it's doing ;)
Rodney

0
rodneyjoyce

Single Users Profile and All Users Profiles List
I've made a discussion forum. And I have also installed simply asp.net membership. Now I want after click on user link to redirect to the page with User's info.I have simply user "John" and user "Bob" and everyone can click on those names and will see page with informations stored in Profile (Like Profile.Name, Profile.Address). I have three simply question:1. How to show profile values of other User ? Like I wrote above.2. How to list all users with for example their e-mails ? I mean: UserLogin - UserName - UserMail3. Or the easier way is to make new table with those all information an...

User and User Profile Storage
How would you handle these situations? 1st Situation Storing user and user's profile information in the database. I have two ideas to handle this. #1) Store all the users information in one table #2) Store only the information needed to login the user in the user table, and have a userProfile table to store the rest of the user's profile information. Why? #1) Easy to build queries for, but will cause more overhead when the user is simply logging in. However, it will cause a lower overhead when looking up a user's profile information, as there will be no need to do table jo...

User Wordlist in User-Profile
high i saw in the TID10080800 that it is possible to point the User Word-List in example to a network drive like H:\\WT61US.UWL. how can i point it to the Userprofile like C:\Document and Setting\%USER%\\WT61US.UWL so it is copied to the server everytime the user logs out, but it is local for the notebook user's ? i dont now how to set it in the registry, that it point to the User-Profile. thanks Sascha Sascha, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has you...

manage default user profile for all users
We're are halfway through a rollout of all new machines (W2K SP3). I just discovered that you can change the default user profile to a custom one by copying over the default user profile in W2k. This could save me tons of time, as it takes care of all the nitpicky stuff (IE6, Office 2k, media player, etc) that one has to setup for each user. Unfortunately, we've already ghosted our machines with the standard default user profile (and I'm not planning on going back and reloading a custom profile on each machine). My question is this. Is it possible using z...

Retrieving User profile values for all users.
Hi, I had a search but could not find the answer to this question.  I am wanting to be able to retrieve all the individual profile values for every user and then show their first and last name in a drop down list so that I can select the name (value will be username).  I thought of gathering all the usernames in a datareader, then looping through each username and add the user profiles to a dataset, but how do I get the user profile values? I have found how to get the profile values for individual users when they have logged in using the ProfileBase =  HttpContext.Current.Pr...

Users customise their profile page for all users
Hi there I am a bit of a newbie to ASP.NET.  All my web development experience before has been with good old asp pages! So anyways here's what I was wondering.  I have a page called ViewProfile which displays the information about a particular user.  The information is pulled from a users table stored in SQL server.  The user profile displayed is determined by the id parameter passed in the url (for example - ViewProfile.aspx?id=123).  This allows other users of the system to see another users profile (the appropriate links etc are on the pages). Now here'...

Allowing users to view other users profiles
 Iv created a basic social networking site Using the built in membership roles provider and its working great. So far users can signup and create a profile, login edit their profile and upload an avatar. Also close their account and view a list of all site members.  But the one thing Iv not firgured out yet is how to allow users to view the profiles of other users. What I want to do is have a the usernames in the userlist display link to the the profile of the particular user. Now I assume I will have to send the username in the query string to the profile page but how do I extract...

Modify User Information / User Profile
I have been rooting around looking for the answer... with no luck... I want to modify the User Information / User Profile collected, for example delete MSN, AIM and Yahoo and add City, State and Zip. Where is this? Is it right in front of my nose? Thanks in advance, (again). The table in the DB is the Community_Users table. You will have to either extend this table, or create a new table using a foreign key relationship to the users table to hold your new fields. You probably don't need to mod any stored proc though since the profile procedures use select * (bad design, but ...

Accessing Profile of users other than current user.
I want to access profile of other users. I want to allow my members to visit other members profile. I am not going to disply the senstive information. The default sql profile provider access to profile of current user only. Hi you need to use the getProfile function as follows:ProfileCommon UserProfile = Profile.GetProfile(UserName); UserProfile.PropertyName1=....   Please read this related thread : http://forums.asp.net/p/1243638/2279740.aspx   Regards,Regards,Anas Ghanem.Note:Please Don't hesitate to click "Report Abuse" link if you noticed something wron...

user table/user profile ques
hi i have my own user table with user profiles, password etc...how to merge it with the dnn user table... is there any way. i am confused as it seems i wil have to create 100's of user in order to make dnn fucntioning for al the usersany inputs on this?thanks somebody must have faced some issues ref the same?/// anyone has any idea..   pls suggest i am stil looking for any info /feedback if anyone can giveit will be a big helpthanks In general, it is possible in DNN3 by writing your own membership provider, replacing the original Microsoft membership provider, that is used as a...

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection
This is my first time to deploy an asp.net2 web site. Everything is working fine on my local computer but when i published the web site on a remote computer i get the error "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed" (only in pages that try to access the database) Help pleaseee Hi You could take a look at this : http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=152338&SiteID=1Sincerely,Young Fang Hi ...

Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\User'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
Hi when i try and open a database in sql server management studio i get the error "Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\User'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)", what can i do to rectify this, i have googled around and still havent found no answers. Which authentication mode is your Sql Server configured - MixedMode, Windows Authentication or Sql Server Authentication? Please refer to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366351.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx    Ple...

How to store user profile information during create user?
Hi, I'm just try to store user information during create user via CreateUserWizard that add Textbox, DropDownList and RadoButtonList. How to store data form control to UserProfile (via CreateUserWizard) ? Note. I set DisableCreatedUser = true because want to proof user befor activate. (Begining ASP.net V2.0, VB, VWD 2005 Express Edition) Here is some example c# code that I have in the CreateUser event of the CreateWizard command.  I also do some stuff after this but I think this is the code you are interested in.     protected void CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser(objec...

Roaming user profile in users home directory
Hi, hope you can help out... When a user logs in to NetWare, the %home_directory is mapped to <volume>:USER\<username> on the NetWare server. Roaming profile is enabled via a NDS user package, to store the user profile in user home directory. User profile should be copied to the local workstation upon login and copied back to the server upon logout. There are space restrictions on the user�s home directories. We found that some user�s home directory is full, but they are not getting any error when they log out. Only that the user profile, e.g., USER.DAT or items...

User logs in, loads another users profile.
I hope i'm posting in the correct place, I'm not sure if this is an AD issue or a Novell client issue, or ConsoleOne. User A logs into windows XP with the correct user name and password, it logs him in but loads User B's profile. Both users have never logged into the computer so it's not loading a cached profile, it always loads users B's profile, doesn't matter which computer. If user B logs in it is fine. I checked both users profiles in AD and ConsoleOne and all seems to be set correctly. We do not use roaming profiles, nor do we use terminal se...

Web resources about - User Profiles - uploading a photo for a user - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Uploading and downloading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Examples of a remote system from which a download might be performed include a web server , FTP server, email server, or other similar systems. ...

Facebook Lets You Tag Photos While They're Uploading
Facebook now lets you add tags to photos before they're finished uploading.

Facebook for iPhone 3.0 to Include Video Uploading for 3GS Owners
We’ve heard a lot of people say the iPhone’s built-in support for YouTube video uploading is going to make a huge impact on the number of people ...

Defence bureaucrat pleads guilty to uploading secret document online
... embarrassing security breach with &quot;Five Eyes&quot; intelligence document. A former junior Defence bureaucrat has pleaded guilty to uploading ...

Uploading Bautista bat flip GIFs could get you sued under TPP, copyright activists warn
Copyright activists say Canadians could face lawsuits, fines or worse for ripping the latest Justin Bieber CD or uploading an animated GIF of ...

Xiaomi apologizes for uploading address book data from smartphones without permission
Former Android head and Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra has apologized to owners of its smartphones for "any concern caused" by collecting contact data ...

Senator calls for FTC investigation of Apple and Google over stealth photo uploading capabilities
Is this how we’ll have to open apps in the future? When we broke the news that iOS (and later Android) apps could upload your photo library (along ...

YouTubers Now Uploading Over 35 Hours Of Video Per Minute!
This week YouTube's got some big news! YouTubers are now uploading over 35 hours of video per minute, up from 24 hours a minute in March.

Google Play Books updated with new design, PDF and EPUB uploading
Caught up in all of the hullabaloo around the keynote, Google Play Books received a notable update in the Play Store to not only bring new UI ...

Twitter rolling out group messaging, 30-second video uploading
Fast Company Twitter rolling out group messaging, 30-second video uploading Android Community Different social networks are doing everything ...