User information - adding user properties

Hello

Scope : DNN 2.1.2 User registration/modification process
I have a problem while trying to add properties to user object. Now I understand that there has to be modifications to several files including "/admin/Users/UsersDB.vb", "/components/DataProvider.vb" and to both data provider projects (or since I just use MSSQL, I modify that).
What I have done is I have added few new properties to "User" -object (like Sex, Age, AllowAdvertising etc.) and also included such inputs to "/admin/Users/Register.ascx". Also added the required stuff to SQL Server's data tables and stored procedures.
However I get error while trying to enter the site (The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] )
ERROR: Could not connect to database.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. )
So, could somebody tell me what is the correct way (step-by-step instructions please !) how to add user properties and handle them in correct manner. Please help me - this is urgent...
0
tomgron

Your error and your development are likely not related.

The error message is exactly as stated. DNN could not connect to the DB using the connection string from your web.config file. Double check your web.config file. Ensure a couple of things.
1) The connection string is correct.
2) The connection string is set in BOTH places. One in the upper portion of the web.config AND one in the provider section.
3) Be sure you changed the DefaultProvider=SqlDataProvider
BTW, the provider name in the default provider section is case-sensitive.
HTH
Tom Lucas

0
lucast
1/13/2005 10:22:55 PM
The problem is in fact in development since I have used this same portal successfully before I started to modify the user properties and registration components. The providers are intact as well as the connectionstring is pointing to correct database. If you could tell me what should I change in order to get few extra fields to the user registration - all the required steps in all required components, please...

p.s. For future releases (4.o ?) it would be great to add in user registration info module where the user info fields would be localizable and modifiable since the portal basically needs only user id, username and password...
0
tomgron
1/13/2005 10:32:48 PM
1)  Make sure the stock stuff is working before changing anything

This will prevent you from getting a false start with a lot of piled up errors.
2) Make a backup copy of whatever files you change (e.g. Register.ascx to ORIG_Register.ascx)
This will let you run a quick folder search for ORIG_*.* before running any upgrades which may overwrite your core mods. There are a lot of great diff utilities, but this is easier for those hand-coders to grasp.
3) Change away
Well, maybe. Perhaps you should inherit, extend, and possibly even override the core classes. This could provide better isolation of your changes, and be easier to read.
0
RLyda
1/13/2005 10:33:35 PM
1) Er...the stock stuff ? The portal works fine, the only errors came up when I started modifying the user properties in deep (including all DAL -objects etc.) Otherwise the portal is alive and kicking - the only thing is that I can't get in ;)

2) I use VSS - not needed, thanks anyway.
3) The inheriging is not in question here, extending is propably just the thing I'm trying to do with very little of success..
0
tomgron
1/13/2005 10:39:42 PM
Found the error...only thing I missed was to build SQLDataProvider separately and place it to portal root's /bin -directory.

Sorry 'bout all the fuss...
0
tomgron
1/14/2005 9:34:39 AM
Sounds like you got what you wanted working... I'm in the process of researching the exact changes required to make extending the user registration table and forms a reality for a client I'm currently working with.

Did you document all the changes you had to make? Would you be willing to share them?? :-)
Thanks!

Jim Duffy

DotNetNuke Evangelist

INETA Speaker

TakeNote Technologies

0
jduffy
3/3/2005 12:24:54 AM
Unfortunately I didn't document any of them since the whole thing went like "freestyling"...

As far as I remember, first I modified the database table (by hand) to include the fields that customer wanted, then a lot of modifying portals /admin/users/register.ascx and some modification to SQLDataProvider and user class, etc.etc. This was a thing that I don't want to do again soon. Hopefully into the DNN3 comes a bit easier solution since this is something that people can't use. I know there are some commercial expansions to user data, but how they relate to user objects that can be used anywhere in portal modules etc. I don't know. From Snowcovered you might find some kind of solutions, but with DNN 2.x you propably don't want to mess with the original core.
0
tomgron
3/3/2005 12:31:34 AM
Very good read. I am currently researching how to add properties to the user account myself.
Is there no other way to simply add some fields to the user accounts?
- Shaun
0
sduffy
5/25/2005 2:52:53 PM

Hi all,

this is also what I´m looking for.
An easy way to add extra fields to the user register form, and then let all user list other users with a special filter.

I will let my resellers register themself as "reseller", and then I need a way to list and sort all resellers for all users.

I have bought XMOD and  "Smart-thinker" module, but that was not exactly what I was looking for.
Any other module that solves this?
/Per

0
per
8/28/2005 12:41:23 PM
 per.norrfors wrote:

Hi all,

this is also what I´m looking for.
An easy way to add extra fields to the user register form, and then let all user list other users with a special filter.

I will let my resellers register themself as "reseller", and then I need a way to list and sort all resellers for all users.

I have bought XMOD and  "Smart-thinker" module, but that was not exactly what I was looking for.
Any other module that solves this?
/Per

I also have resellers and members which need custom fields.
Thanks, Chad
0
ndr
8/28/2005 2:50:17 PM
In DNN3.x properties of user are described in web.config -file, but I haven't got them working so that I could extend the property set of user object dynamically. What comes to 2.x versions : "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" myself...
0
tomgron
8/28/2005 4:36:25 PM
What do you think about "UCanUse User Attributes 2"?
Will that module solve the issue?
Any user of that module here?
/Per
0
per

Users Modifying Other User Properties
We have a problem with students modifying properties for other student objects. We ran a report using the DSRIGHTS tool (http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/13966.html), but it shows students as only having compare and read rights to other student objects. Only some of the properties can be modified. For example, "Given name" and "Telephone" can be modified, but "Last name" and "E-Mail Address" cannot. I have included the output from DSRIGHTS below. Any ideas? How ROBKID.RAM.RHS. got rights to RYANTJ.RAM.RHS. ...

Modify User Information / User Profile
I have been rooting around looking for the answer... with no luck... I want to modify the User Information / User Profile collected, for example delete MSN, AIM and Yahoo and add City, State and Zip. Where is this? Is it right in front of my nose? Thanks in advance, (again). The table in the DB is the Community_Users table. You will have to either extend this table, or create a new table using a foreign key relationship to the users table to hold your new fields. You probably don't need to mod any stored proc though since the profile procedures use select * (bad design, but ...

How to user the CreateUserWizard to show the user Information
Hi, I'm useing the CreateUserWizard to show the current user information. I change the wizard button text from Create to Update, and I set the UserName field to ReadIOnly. When the user clicks the button I get CreateUserError with embershipCreateStatus.DuplicateUserName How can I show the Complete Step when I get this error? I tryed:protected void CreateUserWizard1_CreateUserError(object sender, CreateUserErrorEventArgs e) {if (e.CreateUserError == MembershipCreateStatus.DuplicateUserName) { CreateUserWizard1.ActiveStepIndex = 1;e.CreateUserError = MembershipCreateStatus.Succe...

Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\User'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
Hi when i try and open a database in sql server management studio i get the error "Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\User'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)", what can i do to rectify this, i have googled around and still havent found no answers. Which authentication mode is your Sql Server configured - MixedMode, Windows Authentication or Sql Server Authentication? Please refer to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366351.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx    Ple...

Where is the user information stored once a new user is registered?
I have created the following stored procedure to find matching data in the CMRC_Customers table in the ECommerce Starter Kit, however, it does not find customer information that I use to logon. In fact, I have retrieved the CMRC_Customers result set, and newly registered user data does not appear in this table. I know that it is stored somewhere, because, when I sign in, it says welcome, with my name. Can anyone tell me where registered user information (FullName, EmailAddress, CustomerID) is stored? Thanks.... CREATE PROCEDURE MyProcedure @full_name nvarchar(50) @email_address nvarchar(...

displaying user information to currentlt logged in user
Hi I have created a database which stores user details like name address, intrests, occupation etc on setting up a new account. I would now like to create a user profile page that would display the currently logged on user information and allowthat user to view his account informatioon and edit if needed. There is the data grid view I could use but how do i set it up to recognise which user is logged on and retrive the relevant details.  Users should be able to edit their details when edit is clicked. Also each set of details is stored in different tables e.g YOUR PROFILE Name: John ...

Custom user information in Create User control
In my user registration form, I would like to have more fields like Company Name, Surname, Product S/N..etc.  Is it possible to do this using .NET 2.0 CreateUser Control?  If not, I should create my own form, right?  If I do this, how can I store information(username, password, email..etc) in the build-in aspnet_xxx tables as CreateUser control does? Thanks. Yes this is totally possible.  It is a little lengthy to just get into.  I can't type out a bunch of code right now, or even tonight.  I just read a chapter in this book a couple weeks ago that ...

How to store user profile information during create user?
Hi, I'm just try to store user information during create user via CreateUserWizard that add Textbox, DropDownList and RadoButtonList. How to store data form control to UserProfile (via CreateUserWizard) ? Note. I set DisableCreatedUser = true because want to proof user befor activate. (Begining ASP.net V2.0, VB, VWD 2005 Express Edition) Here is some example c# code that I have in the CreateUser event of the CreateWizard command.  I also do some stuff after this but I think this is the code you are interested in.     protected void CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser(objec...

User control with Property to connect to other user control
Hi,I'm a bit a newb to ASP.NET ;)I want to create a user control which can be connected to another user control. So I did the following:   Private IntBreadcrumbsControl As MenuControl <Category("CMS"), Description("Set the MenuControl that displays the breadcrumbs"), Browsable(True)> _ Public Property BreadcrumbsControl() As MenuControl Get Return IntBreadcrumbsControl End Get Set(ByVal value As MenuControl) IntBreadcrumbsControl = value End Set End Property Unfortunat...

Help with caching user information with multiple concurrent users
Hi, I'm building a website where many users will login concurrently. I am new to caching and was going to store information that I need to access about the user, such as user_id, email, etc...  I was doing this with a single cache object like Cache("Session") = userinfodatatableHowever, I realised that this may cause every user to share the same cache. Therefore, when one user logs in after a previous user, it would overwrite that user's information in cache with the new user's information.So I would need to make a different cache object for each user, li...

User to external user
I have a user that I setup as a regular GW user. He has now moved to an external site. I have setup the users at these external sites as external users. I need to change him to an external user. If I do this will he lose the mail he has in his inbox now? How do I change him to an external user? Thanks TID 10026683 Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ ...

how to effectively cache data for users in which each user has his/her own information to view
I know session variables cause performance issues and I need an alternative solution..This is my problem I am developing a web application in which each user will have its own 1-Profile 2-Screen Options 3-User Settings 4-Monitoring of new messages all of these four itimes and most importantly items (1) and (4) are always needed for operations the whole time the user logged in the website...each of these items is in datatable stored in a session..so we have a total of four four datatables stored in four session vairables for each user. Item (4)'s datatable also has a column...

Users Managing Users
I need to create groups of users (Distributors) and in those groups, allow one of them to be able to create new users for that group.  Each Distributor managing their own group of users. I am wondering if this could or should be a module or should I start hacking the source.? For this instance, I'd say create yourself a custom module.  The "hack the source" approach tends to introduce issues over time.  :-)Bill KnausBlog: http://life.billknaus.com/blogs/ymmv/Website: http://billknaus.com/ Check out WorkControl-UserManager http://www.workcontrol.com/Products/Use...

Users logging in as the same user..
HI there.. I have a problem with ASE12.0 .. I have created 10 users on the database and granted everybody permissions and all.. However, it seems everybody, no matter who logs in, logs in as the same user.. For eg... I have user logins John, Alex, Alan, Steve......etc etc And i created a user group for all of them (eg developers..) However, when they log on to isql, anything that they do will be under John, no matter if it is logins John, Alex, Steve... or etc etc.. If i do a sp_who.. all the connections will be listed as John. If they create tables, all table created will ...

Web resources about - User information - adding user properties - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information (shortened as info or info. ) is that which informs, i.e. an answer to a question, as well as that from which knowledge and data ...

InformationWeek – Latest Information Technology (IT) news & IT articles - Technology news - IT magazine ...
InformationWeek provides latest Information technology (IT) news online & articles and publishes latest tech news & IT magazine for Indian IT ...

Wye River bushfires: Clear information belies claims of a cover-up
&nbsp;Bushfire information, many questions and searches for answers.

SharkCam provides viral video, 'groundbreaking' information
The drone made famous via attack from a great white shark has delivered a wealth of new information on the behaviour of these amazing predators. ...

Worldwide Information Technology Leader Cisco Joins the National Cyber ...
Worldwide Information Technology Leader Cisco Joins the National Cyber ... CNNMoney WASHINGTON, Jan. 12, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ The National ...

J.K. Rowling Reveals The Secret Information She Told Alan Rickman About Severus Snape
J.K. Rowling has revealed the secret bit of information she once shared with the late Alan [...]

OpenSSH patches information leak that could expose private SSH keys
A vulnerability in OpenSSH clients could expose users' private SSH keys to rogue or compromised servers.

A Reader Sends Along Some Important Information Regarding Synthetic Weed
Synthetic weed! It’s all over the sports news cycle this week , but what is it? Is it the same thing as K2? What is spice? Can it kill you? ...

Pew Study: Many Americans Are Willing To Sacrificing Personal Information For Good Deals
However, survey respondents did find certain tradeoffs unacceptable, were concerned with the security of the information they did share, and ...

Our Brains Can Store 10 Times More Information Than We Thought
New research shows the brain’s memory capacity is ten times greater than previous estimates. That means it’s in the petabyte range —which puts ...