Upgrade DNN 3.0.13 -> 3.1.0 error: The type initializer for "DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider" threw an exception

I tested the upgrade on a test system and worked fine. But now I have published the code to upgrade the production site and receive this following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: type

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: type

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: type]
   System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +165
   DotNetNuke.Framework.Reflection.CreateObject(String TypeName, String CacheKey) +164
   DotNetNuke.Framework.Reflection.CreateObject(String ObjectProviderType, String ObjectNamespace, String ObjectAssemblyName) +295
   DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider.CreateProvider() +23
   DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider..cctor() +15

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for "DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider" threw an exception.]
   DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider.Instance() +0
   DotNetNuke.Common.Globals.GetDatabaseVersion() +30
   DotNetNuke.Common.Globals.GetUpgradeStatus() +330
   DotNetNuke.Common.Global.CheckVersion() +67
   DotNetNuke.Common.Global.Application_Start(Object Sender, EventArgs E) +314

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I have checked the SQL connection string and it is correct. Do you have any ideas?
Bruce F. Gagliolo Jr.
Information Technology Consultant

The future starts today, not tomorrow. - Pope John Paul II
0
BFGagliolo

I faced the similiar problem and I solved it out of sudden. I deleted the original user in my MSSQL db, and create a new one. I redo the web.config file all over again in which I took the original resourse.config from the original DNN3.1.0 project, and replace the SiteSQLServer,MachineValidationKey,MachineDecryptionKey and InstallationDate value from my backup version of web.config from DNN3.0.13, and out of sudden, it works and solved the problem

But now, I am facing another problem. My project which is running well under DNN3.0.13, now is no more working. The problem is related to Request.querystring(). It is weird. From the querystring there, for example :

Default.aspx?select=MPB&gr=Lis&id=127&sgr=all

I have tried to debug my project, and found out that, the request.querystring("id") returns a "127,127" value instead of "127", while request.querystring("sgr") returns a value of "=all,all" instead of "all", and request.querystring("select") returns a value of "MPB" which is correct in this case.

I have no idea why this will happen. Is somebody else facing the same problem as me? I am really lost and don't know how to solve it. Is it the way I upgraded my project to latest version affected it?

The way I did my upgrade is: copy all new project from DNN3.1.0 and replace all existing files in my old DNN3.0.13. I did backup my old web.config, and followed the instruction in the documentation by replacing some old keys values from my DNN3.0.13 to DNN3.1.0. Then I browse my site, let it run the script to update my database. By that time, this weird situation has occured. So in order to solve it, I opened the DNN project solution, and added in my own project into DNN original solution. Rebuilt it again and browse to my site. The problem still there. I tried to debug and found out request.querystring() returns a weird value.

Urgent help is needed.Any helps will bemuch appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

0
yltang
8/19/2005 12:46:28 AM

I copied the “install” version of 3.1.0 over my production code and the upgrade ran. I think the download of the “source” version 3.1.0 I have must be bad. I will download a new version of the 3.1.0 “source”.

I did have a problem after the upgrade. It seams the upgrade SQL script did not run completely. I did not get any errors during the upgrade, after I copied the code a second time, but some of the store procedures were missing. I ran the SQL script my hand and all seams to be working fine.

Bruce F. Gagliolo Jr.
Information Technology Consultant

The future starts today, not tomorrow. - Pope John Paul II
0
BFGagliolo

HelloWorld tutorial: The type initializer for "DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider" threw an exception
Hello All,I've been struggling for the last few days trying to complete the HelloWorld module tutorial from dnnJungle using DNN 3.0.13 and Visual Studio 2002.  I think this would have all been much easier if I had VS2003 (time spent converting project files, solutions files, wizard files, fixing over 300 syntax errors, installing 1.1Framework, uninstalling 1.1Framework, re-installing 1.1Framework, etc.)Anyway, I'm at the last step of the tutorial which is creating the HelloWorldOptions.ascx page and now I've hit another glitch.  When I try to open the page in designer I g...

"Data error" for the new Possible Duplicates section after upgrading from 3.6.3 to 4.0
On my test environment is Windows Server 2008 and when I upgrade from 3.6.3= to 4.0, everything seems to be fine but there is a "Data error" for the ne= w Possible Duplicates section. The only thing that was different with this = update (I think) is that I had to run checksetup.pl twice. Is there any re= al cause for concern; other than the possibility of everyone asking me abou= t the data error? :-) The setup is about as default as possible; so I know I didn't change anythi= ng in the taint.pm file or ./localconfig In PPM, I could not locate/install SOAP-Lite, TheS...

Error in upgrading from 3.0.13 to 3.1.0
Hi all, I just upgraded my site from 3.0.13 to 3.1.0 and everything went well and my site loads.My question is this: Should I have seem some sort of ugrade process happening when I first went to my site after the upgrade? I went into to host settings and it show version 3.1.0. but I did not see any upgrading taking place.Also everything seems to be working fine except when I click on Schedul under host I get this:Error: Schedule is currently unavailable.DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Parameter count does not match Parameter Value count. ---> System.ArgumentException: ...

Getting "openUserWin is not defined" JS error with 1.5.0.3, but not 1.0.6
I use a terrible web-based bugtracking product called 'Extraview' for tracking software development defects (bugs). It has an 'Edit Defect' form where I can update a bug's comments / notes / build / assigned-to / etc. This form works fine in Firefox 1.0.6 and IE6, but since I've upgraded recently to Firefox 1.5.0.3, it does not work at all. There are buttons along the top, such as 'update', 'clone', 'interest list', 'history', and 'close', which invoke a JavaScript function "openUserWin" to carry ...

Upgrade from 3.0.13 to 3.1.1 error Exception Details: System.MissingMethodException:
I upgraded from 3.0.13 to 3.1.1   Thanks in advance for any help or steps to take to know further what the problem is!!! 1.  FTP unzipped install files to my root on a webHost4Life Semidedicated server.  Did each dir from root separately & watched that no errors occurred.2.  Replaced the following keys in release.config    a.       SiteSqlServer    b.       MachineValidationKey    c.       MachineDecryptionKey3.  Rena...

Request.querystring error after upgrade to 3.1.0 from 3.0.13
Before upgrading, my module working fine in DNN3.0.13. But straight after upgrading to DNN3.1.0, errors occur.I have tried to run a debug on my project and found out that the request.querystring() returns weird value and cause my whole module crash. For example:default.aspx?select=MMP&gr=Lis&id=127request.querystring("id") returns a value of "127,127" instead of "127"request.querystring("gr") returns a value of "=Lis,Lis" instead of "Lis"request.querystring("select") returns a value of "MMP", which is correct in this case.I have no idea on how was this happened.Any helps will be...

"FreeTextBox" Error Installing DNN 3.0.13
I have numerous DNN 3.0.13 sites on my server. I just tried to add one more... actually I've tried 3 times. All goes well until the install process gets to the skins when it errors. 00:00:00.375 - Installing Version: 3.0.1200:00:00.375 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.SetUp.SqlDataProvider00:00:00.453 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.Schema.SqlDataProvider00:00:09.671 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider00:00:14.843 - Installing MemberRole Provider:00:00:14.843 - Executing InstallCommon.sql00:00:17.203 - Executing InstallMembership.sql00:00:18.500 - Executing InstallP...

Module development of DNN i am facing following issue -Exception Message "The type initializer for "eradllc.maindbtest.DataProvider" threw an exception." String
 Message "The type initializer for "eradllc.maindbtest.DataProvider" threw an exception." String   in this   eradllc.maindbtest as my namespace .i found issue by inserting two string values to database.provider name is correct. it is generating from   createprovider().the dataprovider,namespace,assembly name all are correct.   pls help  NavinAbstract...

"Official" scoop on 3.0.8 and DotNetNuke.com upgrade
The purpose of this post is to get information to the community in as expedient a manner a as possible. There are a number of points to be made here so I will make each separately. Please feel free to pass this information on in other mediums. (1) 3.0.8 will not be considered the "Release Candidate". This is somewhat of a formality... as it is much improved from 3.0.7 however we are committed to at least one more release and so knowing this, we also know that 3.0.8 (by definition) is not the "RC". (2) New installations should be fine. For the most part 3.0.8 wor...

Error upgrading from 3.0.13 to 3.1.1
Installing DotNetNukeVersion: 03.01.01 Installation Status Report00:00:00.015 - Installing Version: 3.1.000:00:00.015 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.SetUp.SqlDataProvider00:00:00.093 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.Schema.SqlDataProvider00:00:09.656 - Installing Script: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider00:00:13.046 - Installing MemberRole Provider:00:00:13.046 - Executing InstallCommon.sql00:00:13.593 - Executing InstallMembership.sql00:00:14.265 - Executing InstallProfile.sql00:00:14.640 - Executing InstallRoles.sql --------------------------------------------------------------------------...

DNN Gallery Error 3.0.10/DNN 3.0.13
To All:     I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post, but I couldn't find anyone that posted the same error. When running the Maintenance on the Gallery, I get the following error: Unhandled error loading module.DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Parser Error: Type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TemplateColumn' does not have a property named 'Gallery_HeaderText'. ---> System.Web.HttpParseException: Parser Error: Type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TemplateColumn' does not have a property named 'Gallery_HeaderText'. ---> System.Web.HttpExcep...

DNN 3.0.13 to 3.1.0
Did I just see a new version of DNN on www.dotnetnuke.com or is someone playing tricks on me?<slobber='true'>Dwayne J. Baldwin read here.Sebastian Leupoldgamma concept mbHDeutschNetNuke = DotNetNuke in GermanDNN Project UserDefinedTable...

DNN 1.0.9
Hi, I had DNN 1.0.9 working fine on my laptop but now, after a system re-boot, I get the following error when I try to open (- double click) any DesktopModule\*.ASCX control in the DNN project using Visual Studio 2002: The file failed to load in the Web Form designer. Please correct the following error, then load it again: The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed. The designer inspected the follwing classes in the file: <ControlFileName>-- The base class 'DotNetNuke.PortalModuleControl' cannot be designed. My ...

unable to instal latest 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 upgrades due NO WIN32
Name: Miep Visser Email: miepdotvisserathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: unable to instal latest 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 upgrades due NO WIN32 Comments: What is going on here? We have the layesy VISTA OS, and never had this response before. Browser Details: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them t...

Upgrade DotNetNuke from 3.1.1 to 3.2.0 issues
I upgraded my dotnetnuke from 3.1.1 to 3.2.0.  I was successfully upgraded one of my server with no problem. But when I upgrade my local dev box, I have problems.  After I run the http://localhost/dotnetnuke/install/install.aspx?mode=install on my local box, the upgrade from my local host (the html page) indicated that it's upgraded successfully.  But once I click on the access my site link, I lost all the menu. Event when log on as host account,  I lost the admin as well as the host menu.  I opened the C:\dotnetnuke\Solutions\DotNetNuke.All.sln and rebuild al...

Web resources about - Upgrade DNN 3.0.13 -> 3.1.0 error: The type initializer for "DotNetNuke.Data.DataProvider" threw an exception - asp.net.dotnetnuke