To use DNN or not to use?

Hello,

I am developing a community web based appication for non-profits and social service agencies in our county, that will be used to provide and track client services in a single datastore.

Some built in features that dnn has is what I need, but I need custom tree navigation, list views, edit on the fly, several customized layers for data access, etc.

I am familiar with asp.net, but not very familiar with dnn.  I installed  dnn on a friends website but never had time to configure and learn more about it.

What are the general rules when deciding when to use dnn and when not to use.

How hard is dnn to learn for designing custom web applications?

Does dnn have any problems working with SSL?

Thank you for the help!

0
bhughes_1231

To use Yes [Y]

You are going to write code for all that stuff you mention anyway and DNN features are going to save you a ton of time.
Do you know the truth when you hear it?
0
hooligannes97
10/3/2005 12:00:21 AM
If you are developing modules that you will NOT be distributing to any other DotnetNuke portal do not bother with learning to use the DotnetNuke DAL (Data Access Layer). All you need to do is create .ascx controls and "inject" them into DotnetNuke. The first 3 pages of my tutorial will show you how to do that.

Use DotNetNuke for everything you can. For everything else make your own web controls that connect to the database in any way you want. Doing it this way, you can have your entire site up in days rather than weeks.

SilverlightDesktop.net

A framework that allows you to dynamically load Silverlight modules into resizable draggable windows.
0
adefwebserver
10/3/2005 12:11:17 AM
No, for now most of the controls will not be distributed to other dnn portals.  Basically I need to recreate the application, which is already written in vb.net (win forms basically) into a asp.net application.

DNN will then speed up this project?

0
bhughes_1231
10/3/2005 12:36:03 AM
 bhughes_1231 wrote:
DNN will then speed up this project?

It will take care of user management and security and provide a consistent design. That alone will speed up any project.

SilverlightDesktop.net

A framework that allows you to dynamically load Silverlight modules into resizable draggable windows.
0
adefwebserver
10/3/2005 4:06:14 AM

The user management is critical for this project.  There will be client data that the user is approved to see, and on other clients they will be approved to see top level info, but not the sub level data.  Can the user managment handle this level of security?

0
bhughes_1231
10/3/2005 3:19:00 PM
Yes it can, and easily. check this slide http://www.dotnetnuke.com/guidedtour/WebsiteManageUsers.htm and then review the whole tour.
Do you know the truth when you hear it?
0
hooligannes97

How to use net use?
Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax error message. Thanks in advance. "Beowulf" <who-knows@no-one.com> wrote in message news:9krutk$puu$1@news.grc.com... > Please can any one tell me how to use the dos command net use properly? > > I have read the help but can't seem to get it to work. Keep getting sytax > error message. what are you trying to do? There are about 50 options to "net use" that do a ton of different thin...

Using DotNetNuke is better than without using DotNetNuke ?
Hi Everyone,  I have one question about DotNetNuke (DNN) from my client. My client's question is:> what would work best to maintaining a modular version> (example: a modular job board site). This is incase we want to release the XXX Job Board site and the YYY Job board> site a year from now.I have not read much about DNN. But my answer is to use DNN to build modular job board site and other Job Board sites. And use DNN to maintain these Job Board sites. Because there must many things good to use DNN. I am correct. Right?Many thanks, May You may have better luck with th...

Using Using
I have just completed reading a chapter in my book on performance. The books says to speed up performance on your web site you should use the using statement when opening connections. My question is how do you catch errors if you are using this as apposed to a try catch block.thanksBryan  Why would you use it as an alternative to a try/catch statement. Couldn't you just do something like  public void UsingSomeMethod() { try { SomeMethod(); } catch(SomeException e) { /// do something useful }}public void SomeMethod() { using (Something) { ...

When to use ( and when to use ((?
I'm just not getting it. When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is the space after either or both mandatory? For example, I coded this statement: if (( $_ eq $bad_guys_ip )) { more_stuff_here }; Why the two (( in an if? And why does it seem to not work when I miss the space after the ((? Thanx! Mark me as... /Corn-fused|Dense/ > I'm just not getting it. >=20 > When do you use ( in a statement, when do you need to use ((, and is > the space after either or both mandatory? >=20 > For example, I coded this sta...

Create module using .NET ver 2.0 and use with DNN 2.1.2
Hi all, i would like to start to test the .NET 2.0 version of the framework ad i would like to know is there some problem if i write a module with the 2.0 version of .NET and use with DNN 2.1.2. Thanks Stefano...

How to use the arguments to use() in the package being used
Howdy,=20 The subject says it all believe it or not :) What I'm trying to figure out is how to pass an argument=20 (pragma I believe is the proper term) to use() and do=20 sonethign in the package based on it. I've looked at CGI.pm source but can't seem to track it down.=20 (Similar idea as to CGIs -oldstyle_urls -newstyel_urls) http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.04/CGI.pm#PRAGMAS What I'd like to do is something like this: # for old time's sake we'll just use our favorite module use Foo::Monkey qw(:Foo :Bar -doamazingthings); #then in Foo::Monkey...

Using jQuery
What are the advantages of using ScriptReference to include a jQuery source in my .NET pages as opposed to using the regular <script src='jquery.js'></script> method? Thanks.Ryan One advantage of the ScriptManager is that you can use application relative paths (e.g. ~/scripts/jquery.js).On a related note, if you're writing something that will be public facing, you might consider using Google's free CDN hosted version of jQuery. Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Latest article: How I handle JSON dates returned by ASP.NET AJAX  Thanks for the reply. I act...

Using Dot Net Nuke to maintain a site developed in VS.NET using C#
Hi,Does anyone know if there is a way to create a site using C# and Visual Studio.NET 2003, but then use Dot Net Nuke to allow non-technical users to add content to the site.  The current state of the site must be accessible in both VS.NET and DNN regardless of which application saved it last.  Also preferably I would like the language used to remain C# even when edited by the marketing staff, so that I can still maintain it myself using VS.NET.  Hope you understand what I mean. If this is not possible, I wonder if anyone knows what solution I am after.   Thanks in adv...

How to use HTTP protocol in .Net Remoting? Thanks and Regards,How to use Http protocol in .net Remoting
<>Hi,     <><>How to use HTTP protocol in .Net Remoting ? Is there any specific code bits requires for that ?    I am using TCP protocol it's working but when i change it to  HTTP it throwing an error like "Arugument null exception"<>  Could  anybody give samples for that? Thanks & Regards,Vijay Here is an example of HTTP remoting:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.remoting.channels.http.httpchannel.aspxCheers,       Kev...

Use of Net Use command to map a drive
--____ETNOBHIDCKMBHAFMGEBY____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 28 Mar 2008 13:05:52 +0000" I'm trying to find the correct syntax to enable the mapping of a netware = drive from a batch file. We are trying to use a backup utility that logs = into a Windows XP machine remotely, maps the netware drives then backs up = the mapped drives. Finaly it will delete the maps and logout. Has anyone any experience of exactly using the net use command to map a = drive...

Using .NET assembly through COM using cominterop
I have a .NET assembly that I call through COM in a classic ASP application using Cominterop.  It used to work fine, however, it's been some time and I've had to make a change and recompile it.  Unfortunately for me, I can't remember how I registered the thing to tell COM how to instantiate it, i.e running regsvr32 and passing the dll returns and error.  I have a .tlb file but I can't remember if I can use that to register the dll??  Hey it's been one busy couple of months!Need help. You could try PInvoke(platform Invoke) solution in this post.  Hope this help...

why to use 1)use CGI,2)use Strict ,3)use Carp in script
hi why we r using 1)use CGI, 2)use Strict, 3)use Carp in the begining of script sometimes. What is the use of it.Is the files CGI.pm,Strict.pm,Carp.pm default with PERL. Thnx __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 09:31, supriya devburman wrote: > hi Hi > why we r using > 1)use CGI, We only use CGI when we want to use methods from that module (usually on web pages); see `perldoc CGI` for more information on what you...

Using a REST API using "Astoria" (with .NET Framework 3.5 and VS.NET 2008 SP1)
Hello! I'm really interested in learning how to work with the new .NET Framework 3.5 and VS.NET 2008 SP1 (still beta). Here is my question: I would like to use a REST API that is not made by me. I'm talking about the REST API of Community Server 2008 (www.communityserver.org). I've got the full specification of the API. They have it well documented and ready to go. It appears to be very easy to use, but... HOW? How to connect the web services with the new .NET 3.5 properly? The full specification can be read here: http://api.communityserver.org. I've successully used...

Web resources about - To use DNN or not to use? - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Watch: ‘Fuller House’ Teaser Offers Glimpse at Whole Tanner Family
Nearly a week after releasing the first photos from “Fuller House,” Netflix finally shared a trailer that features the highly anticipated sitcom ...

Remains of the Day: Google to Give Freebies If You Use Android Pay
A few news breadcrumbs leading us to the weekend as Skype adds Slack integration, f.lux politely requests to return to the App Store, Lyft cuts ...

John Krasinski Talks About Sitting at Leonardo DiCaprio's Golden Globes Table
John Krasinski takes a seat during his appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show airing on Friday (January 15) from Los Angeles. The 36-year-old ...

Police: Dispute Over Stirring Pot of Chili Leads to Attack
Police say a dispute over stirring a pot of chili led to an attack that injured 2 people at a Detroit home

El Chapo Reportedly Had Time for Erectile Disfunction Surgery While on the Run
After escaping from prison last summer, Mexico’s most powerful drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman surely found himself with a busy schedule ...

Benedict Cumberbatch Pays Tribute to Alan Rickman in a Brief Scene From The Simpsons
Benedict Cumberbatch , who has previously performed spot-on impressions of the late Alan Rickman , did so once again in a fitting tribute to ...

Walmart to Close 269 Stores
The giant retailer said about 16,000 employees would be affected by the move.

‘Scream Queens’: Who Is Coming Back For Season 2?
As the news of Scream Queens ‘ second-season renewal sinks in, attention shifts to which of the original stars will transition from the Wallace ...

APNewsBreak: Coal suspension affects 30-plus mining projects
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — At least 30 applications from companies seeking to mine hundreds of millions of tons of coal face suspension as the government ...

Watch: Trailer for J.J. Abrams’ Secret ‘Cloverfield’ Follow-Up
After surprising audiences time and time again, Paramount Pictures and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot have pulled another fast one on fans with the trailer ...