Strange problem: Fix for "A potentially dangerous Request.Form" causes "Runtime Error"

Hi all,

I am a DNN/ASP.NET newbie trying to get a DNN site running with a hosted server (WebHost4life). I have read all of the posts, googled and queried references (DNN FAQ, ...) concerning the "A potentially dangerous Request.Form" error when editing module content and using HTML/Rich Text. I tried both of the following changes to the web.config file and each caused an odd error:
<pages enableViewStateMac="true" validateRequest="false" />
<validateRequest="false" />
The error is as follows, and occurs whenever the site URL is accessed, not just when module content is being edited:
Server Error in '/donovan/mobiliq' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.
Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->
<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

The strange thing is that <customErrors mode="Off"/> is already set in web.config, so I am at a loss as to why I am not receiving error details.
So, it appears that the published "fix" for the "... potentially dangerous Request.Form" issue breaks the website.
The site is DotNetNuke_1[1].0.10d and is hosted on webHost4Life, which is running Windows Server2003 with .NET Framework 1.1.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,
Donovan Dillon.
0
Don_Dillon

This:

<pages enableViewStateMac="true" validateRequest="false" />
<validateRequest="false" />

is wrong.
This

<pages enableViewStateMac="true" validateRequest="false" />

Would be correct. The problem is, in this case I expect the program is unable tp parse Web.Config, and so does not know you want to show errors.

Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:
Programming Microsoft Web Forms
My Blog
0
douglas
1/3/2004 8:08:12 PM
Thanks Douglas.  The problem was caused by a duplicate "<pages enableViewStateMac="true" />" node in the web.config file.
0
Don_Dillon
1/4/2004 12:16:24 AM
I'm also having a similar problem; however, I can't find the lines referenced above (did a global search in VS) to make the change.  I'm using DNN v1.0.10d.  Any help will be most appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Greg
Here's my error:
Server Error in '/dotnetnuke' Application.
A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (_ctl0:txtContainer="<table cellpadding="...").
Description: Request Validation has detected a potentially dangerous client input value, and processing of the request has been aborted. This value may indicate an attempt to compromise the security of your application, such as a cross-site scripting attack. You can disable request validation by setting validateRequest=false in the Page directive or in the configuration section. However, it is strongly recommended that your application explicitly check all inputs in this case.
Exception Details: System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (_ctl0:txtContainer="<table cellpadding="...").
Source Error:
Stack Trace:

[HttpRequestValidationException (0x80004005): A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (_ctl0:txtContainer="<table cellpadding="...").]
System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateString(String s, String valueName, String collectionName) +230
System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateNameValueCollection(NameValueCollection nvc, String collectionName) +99
System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form() +113
System.Web.UI.Page.GetCollectionBasedOnMethod() +69
System.Web.UI.Page.DeterminePostBackMode() +47
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +218
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +18
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +179
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +87

0
greg1205
1/5/2004 4:53:04 PM
You should have, in the Web.COnfig file a <pages> tag.  Add validateRequest="false", like the following...

<pages enableViewStateMac="true" validateRequest="false" />

Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:
Programming Microsoft Web Forms
My Blog
0
douglas
1/5/2004 5:03:36 PM
That worked.  Thanks Douglas!
0
greg1205
1/5/2004 6:07:42 PM
web.config file is case sensitive change customErrors mode="off" to customerrors mode="off" if that doesn't fix this problem check your machine.config and make sure the custom errors tag matches.

Also add the previous mentioned pages tag in that same section (system.web) right below the customerrors tag and this should fix all the problems.
Pam
0
preinsko
1/9/2004 8:19:59 AM
Please ignore the first part of my previous post.  The second part checking the machine.config file was the real task I wanted you to check.  I had my gray cells in another place for a moment.

Pam
0
preinsko

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

What is causing "potentially dangerous Request.Form value" error?
I have a .NET 1.1 web site which has a marquee div on the home page which scrolls news articles. Currently, there is just a single article. The user can click on the headline which links them to the full story. Since this feature was added to the home page, I occasionally get notified of the following error: Error Detail: System.Web.HttpRequestValidationException: A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (_ctl0:litTicker="<ul><li><a href='Pub..."). I've tried to reproduce the error but without success. The HttpMethod is a PO...

Problem with "isc_service_query" and "isc_info_svc_get_license" +"isc_info_svc_get_licensed_users"
I have problem with getting a correct result from "isc_service_query" when I pass "3A" (Get license and licensed_users), in fact I get an "Unexpected Output buffer value" error when IBX tries to read the license information from the result. From the debugging I have done it seems like I dont get the correct result from Interbase. Looking at the result I see that I get a correct value on "isc_info_svc_get_licensed_users", but the rest of the buffer is filled with zeros where I expect to see 0x33 and information about licenses. I am using...

What is a "Session" and a "Request" ??
Hello,  I'm new to ASP.Net 2.0 , and I still can't understand what is a "Session" and what is a "Request" ??   Thank You the client browser will request a page and the Request object will give you information about what page they are requesting. the session is a statebag where you can store information that will continue to exist after the page has executed.  information can be added to the Session in page A and then read back from the Session in page B.  the session object is unique per user - so one users does not see data stored b...

"To" and "From" missing

"Using" or "With"

Replacing "\\" with "\"

double quote

replace the "." with a ","

"Me" is better than "You"

Using "+" or "||"

Web resources about - Strange problem: Fix for "A potentially dangerous Request.Form" causes "Runtime Error" - asp.net.dotnetnuke