SQL Script to copy an existing Portal & Module Contents to a new Portal

Hello everyone.  I am looking for an SQL Server script that will take an existing portal and make an exact duplicate of the portal into a new portal instance.  This includes the Tabs, Modules, and Module contents.  (I can handle copying the portal files outside of the process...I just need the data at this point.)

Does anyone have a script that will do this? Or, is anyone willing to build one? I will compensate accordingly...Please feel free to contact me.
Thanks!
Brian Jones
iDataWorx, LLC
bjones@idataworx.com

Brian Jones

iDataWorx, LLC
0
duckman2004

Do you need to copy core modules only or also third party modules?
Tom Lucas

0
lucast
7/21/2004 3:41:41 PM
How do you plan to handle relations with the host installation?  Specifically _default for skins and containers and the desktopmodules folder?  Duplicating a portal with data within the same host is an unsolved challenge at this time.

Its pretty easy to create a new host installation with just the portal(s) you want:
1. Backup and restore your DB to a new DB.
2. Open NewDB and delete all portals except the portal you want duplicated from portals table. (Should cascade delete all other data but verify)
3. Edit portal alias to your new name ie. localhost/backup
4. Create New Web in IIS
5. Copy all hosting files and delete all directories under portals except _default and the portalID for the duplicated portal.
6. Edit web.config for new site with the new DB settings.

0
SmartSource
7/21/2004 3:50:11 PM
Than you for the quick reply.  I would like to include third-party modules if possible. I know that there is an architectural issue with this in the sense that they are third-party and subject to developer creativity, but I am not averse to putting together a new table that we maintain that tracks which modules are in which portals and which fields are relevent for copying...does this help?
Brian Jones

iDataWorx, LLC
0
duckman2004
7/21/2004 4:46:44 PM
Thank you also for the quick reply.

Please forgive me if I misundertand your instructions above.
I agree, this is a challenge. The relations are the issue that I am trying to get my hands around. In a nutshell, I am trying to create a new Portal based upon the contents of another, within the same instance of DNN...not necessarily in another database. Meaning, they would be two distinctly different portals with different Portal_ID's, but they would initially have the same content and skinning. We would then go through the new portal and customize it to fit the specific needs of our client.
Thanks again for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Brian Jones

iDataWorx, LLC
0
duckman2004
7/21/2004 4:53:34 PM
hi brian, i built a portal duplicator / data backup module a while back as a private assembly module for dnn 1.0.10... it worked well for what it needed to do, basically copy all data from one portal to a child portal...  (regardless if the original portal was a parent or child).  i have options to copy over users to the new portal, or only users in certain roles, etc (or no users at all..), and so you end up with a copy of the tabs, modules, and contents of that portal..

i would need to upgrade and rewrite it for 2.x portals, but i can do this if you desire it. please contact me offline (using the link on the left of this post to get my email addy) and we can discuss your needs in detail...

Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty -- I. Kant : Critique of Pure Reason

In the olden days, books were burned. Now the website is shut down.

KodHedZ Software Development
0
xpdit
7/21/2004 9:13:24 PM
Hello Fist time poster, Long time Reader!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to start by thanking everyone who has help me with there post a ideas!!!!!!!!!
But, I would like to know if any progress has been made on a module or scrpit that will help with moving portals. This seems to be a big question because of people wanting to test in a test enviroment then move the portal to the prodution enviroment.

0
Snags
7/23/2004 2:45:24 PM
I have FINALLY completed the engine that will handle roles, users, tabs, and modules .  Right now, it will copy them to a portal within the same db...

It also handles Custom Modules using a unique schema mapping process. I am able to copy all module content for the standard modules that are packaged with dnn. Now to begin testing on private assemblies... But so far, it works without a hitch!
Next to do is to make sure that child / parent PK / FK relationships are carried through... its programmed, just need to test it more...
Also, I am adding template ability , with a custom signup / portal creation module so that you can choose which template you would like to use for creation... this will extend the features in the basic portal signup module that is included in dnn.
hang on boys, its coming, and long overdue...
mark.hoskins.
Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty -- I. Kant : Critique of Pure Reason

In the olden days, books were burned. Now the website is shut down.

KodHedZ Software Development
0
xpdit
8/4/2004 5:59:28 PM
Fantastic!  Thans for all of your efforts Mark.

I tried to send you an email to the address on your profile but received a bounce. Has your email changed? I would like to talk with you further about this module.
Brian Jones

iDataWorx, LLC
0
duckman2004
8/9/2004 3:18:59 PM
XML Template generation of tabs, roles, modules and module contents is functional.  I am now able to successfully copy an entire portal to an xml file, and read it in a separate portal installation and create that portal copy.  This is great news!

I am dealing with a few small issues dealing with passing the correct (New) primary key to child tables within the custom modules for PK / FK relationships.
Whew! I will be releasing product details at the KodHedZ Store.
Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty -- I. Kant : Critique of Pure Reason

In the olden days, books were burned. Now the website is shut down.

KodHedZ Software Development
0
xpdit
8/9/2004 9:47:28 PM
Is is good news.  Looking forward for the release.

Questions:
1) can you use the tool to copy from DNN 1.0.10 to DNN 2x
2) How would you handle the custom module ID differences? for example, custom module in DNN 1.0.10 has ID 350. New version of module in DNN 2x has ID 300.
Just curious since this is the scenarion that I have. I have about 30 child portals with many tabs and module. A tools like the one you are working on will be a blessing and saves lots of time.
Thanks,
Sleiman
0
sleiman
8/13/2004 5:33:37 AM
Version 1 is ready for release .... hang onto your hats!

The KódHedZ Portal Duplicator
Content Replication for your DotNetNuke Portal
AVAILABLE NOW AT WWW.KODHEDZ.NET
The Portal Duplicator provides advanced copying, backup and templating abilities for the Content of any existing DotNetNuke 2.1.2 Portal to easily create standardized templates, push content to portals, or automate portal creation from a variety of choices of prebuilt templates.
You can:
• Select which Tabs, Roles and Users to Copy
• Select if you want to copy the Module Contents, or just the Module
• Create an XML Template for use in any portal within the same installation, or in a separate installation.
• Create a portal in any installation from an existing XML Template
• Create Custom Schemas for any of the custom modules you use
Current Limitations:
• You cannot copy child-relation module content with Foreign Key Relationships, only a single primary key is able to be passed accurately to child-relation schemas.
* Scheduled for fix in next release
• UserID, TabID and ModuleID fields for Module Content are not accurate in third party relationships when creating a portal from XML Templates. It will use the old ID from the initial templated portal
* Scheduled for fix in next release
Most of these problems will only occur in the more complex “Application” type modules.
Modules can be copied using custom built schemas. The schemas are simple references to the structure of the data you will be copying for each module and its nested tables.
Schemas are provided for all of the standard DotNetNuke Core Modules.
AVAILABLE NOW AT WWW.KODHEDZ.NET

Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty -- I. Kant : Critique of Pure Reason

In the olden days, books were burned. Now the website is shut down.

KodHedZ Software Development
0
xpdit
8/13/2004 9:23:26 AM
I went to the Kodhedz store and received a bunch of errors on your site. How can I obtain a copy of the Portal Replicator??
0
d_s_major
8/18/2004 4:24:41 PM
the website is back online.  my hosting provider has had some problems lately....

everything should be well now . thanks for the notice.
mark.

Intuition without concept is blind; Concept without intuition is empty -- I. Kant : Critique of Pure Reason

In the olden days, books were burned. Now the website is shut down.

KodHedZ Software Development
0
xpdit

Relocate existing portal to new child portal
I originally created Portal A on a subdomain and have since purchased a new domain and created a new parent Portal B, under which I would like to relocate Portal A as a child portal.  Do I need to rebuild the Portal A on a new child portal or can I somehow "switch" its location to a new child designation?I found the Export Template (Include content) settings, but I am not certain of how they work.  My portal has 46 users and I don't want to interrupt their settings.  It also has approx 50mb of uploaded user files that I don't want to break.Advice please? Why not add the...

Copying a module with content between portals
Is there a way to copy a module with all of it's content between two portals? My goal is to be able to have a development version of a portal and then a live version. The wrtiters and editors could work on a given module or set of modules and then when ready, copy the new or modified version to the live site. I realize that I could use tabs that are restricted to a given role, but this seems to be too confusing for some of the users. Now I am not sure that this will be so much easier, but it is what they have requested. Thanks Westone Shadow allows the host to display modules betwe...

New DotNetNuke Portal Dashboard Module
We are proud to announce our latest module creation, the Portal Dashboard. Have you ever wished you could easily keep track of all the vital statistics about your portals including numbers of users, top pages, top affiliates and much more?  Or, how about define your own queries to capture statistics about your portal?  On top of all of that, wouldn't it be great to be able to save snapshots of the statistics and export them to excel over time?  All that and much more is now possible with our latest module, the Portal Dashboard.  Key features include: Includes over 30 s...

New Portal Always Redirects to Default DotNetNuke Portal. Please Help...
I recently moved my portal up to WebHost4Life.com Everything has seemed pretty smooth, but I recently tried creating a new portal www.newportal.com (just an example). But when I try to go to that url in IE or FireFox, it keeps redirecting me to the default portal. I know the domain is correct because I placed an image in the images directory and was able to browse to that image and it displays. I'm currently using 3.1.0. What preventing my aliases from working? Please help. Thanks. DJ For a new domain www.newportal .com you need to create an application in wh4L ...

Proper way to copy all modules to a new portal?
I have an existing portal, with dozens of custom modules I have built.  I have installed a new portal on a seperate machine, which is completely seperate from the first. How do I copy all the modules definitions to the new portal. I know once the module definitions are there, I can do an "Export Template" from the first portal to automatically configure a new site in the new portal with all the custom modules. I have tried copying the tables: DesktopModules ModuleDefinitions ModuleControls ModulePermissions But this didnt work.  Am I missing a table? Other ...

Error:Reindexing content works in Parent portal but not on a child portal for custom modules
 I have two portals. one a parent and the other a child. I've a custom module with Isearchable funs implemented and an instance of it is added to two taps, one in each portal. When I index the content, only the module in the parent portal gets indexed! I had tested reindexing on the child portal by adding the Text module and it works fine. It hase nothing to do with the Supported feature field, because it is the same for all instances of the Desktop module and is set to 3 Do I need to look up the source code for reindexing content? Any help is greatly appreciated Thanx I...

DotNetNuke Portal: Why nothing is changed after I customize the existing modules?
I am pretty new for asp.net and portal. Does any one can help me? I really appreciate. 1. I tried to modify some vb files for existing modules, i.e. register.ascx.vb, but nothing has been changed after I made the changes. I wondered if I have to compile it. How? I am using Macromedia Dreamwaver MX to edit files now. 2. I have an aspx file, it works fine, I created a new ascx file for new module and I tried to convert aspx file to ascx file for that new module but it didn’t work. The new module is on the web site but I got the error message. When it load the ascx file. Any idea? Y...

Adding content with a new child portal to an existing DNN?
If I've developed content on my local machine what's the best way of adding it as a child portal to an existing DNN site? I'm assuming that you create a blank child portal on the DNN site and perform a DTS operation to update the SQL Server with the child content? Are there any pointers I should look out for? Thanks, Bill Mark at xpdit has something on snowcovered.com (http://www.snowcovered.com/Snowcovered2/EditModule.aspx?mid=499&tabid=60&f=PortalStore_ProductDetails.ascx&productID=215&categoryID=12&selectionId=3) that makes this a lot easier. Haven't used...

New Form
I need to create a form that will post to a different page outside of the portal Virtual directory, when I do this the form either postsback to itself or does nothing. how do I get this resolved? I need it to be a form because I don't want the address to display the info.. Example Don't want www.mydomain.com/mypage.asp?data1=one&data2=two Please helpKeith K. Kowalski There are a couple of problems when trying to add forms to your aspx pages. First of all, the reason .NET is able to do all of it's fancy-schmancy event handling is through the use of a big fat form. ...

www.bitporters.net
hey all, i just launched my site running on the DotNetNuke portal framework. Im selling my modules (BPM) here and im also trying to start up some dicussions with developers interested in making a living off freelance contracting. please check it out:) Thanks! Andrew::BitportersBitporters.net - Hows your portal running?...

Trouble Creating New Module For Portal with VS.NET 2003
I'm uncertain as to how to create a new module in the portal starter kit with Visual Studio.NET and i received this error when trying to add the module to a new tab via the administration tab controls. If this question should be addressed elsewhere, please let me know. Thanks. Paul Server Error in '/Portal' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Specified cast is not valid. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more informati...

Using VS.NET to create NEW module for Portal Starter Kit
I'm trying to build my 1st NEW module for the portal starter kit, but I'm not sure what VS.NET is doing...it seems to be creating the wrong 'inherits from' This is the beginning of my new module codebehind file Public Class Charts Inherits System.Web.UI.Page ................................................................................. This is the beginning of an existing module codebehind (that works) Namespace ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal Public MustInherit Class Announcements Inherits ASPNET.StarterKit.Portal.PortalModuleControl .....................

what is the method for creating a new template to clone portals with tabs & modules?
Hi, I'm looking for the best method to clone a child portal so that I can easily duplicate the layout for other child portals. I would like to have the same tabs and hopefully modules but not the content. I was looking through some older threads on this but wondered if there was a more recent method for doing this. Anyone have a quick and definitely easy method for this? Something a newbie can follow. Thanks all ! On you Portals\_default folder you'll find two files with .template extension. This is the place where to define your new portal template. The admin.templates specif...

Copying module between Portals
Is there a way to copy a module between portals. I have a User Defined module that I need to duplicate to each portal. It takes lots of work to recreate. Any ideas/help? Thanks, Sleiman This is something that I desperately wanted to do for some of the complex set ups like StoreNuke module that does not have PA version so one needs to set up 8 tabs each with different modules. To do this per portal takes quite a long time, and adding a basic store to it so there is something that the new admin can get started would take almost 3 hours. I thought of doing it just in DB by copy and...

Web resources about - SQL Script to copy an existing Portal & Module Contents to a new Portal - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Pre-existing condition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
J. James Rohack, president of the American Medical Association , has stated on a Fox News Sunday interview that exclusions, based upon these ...

How To Launch Existing Apps, Services From Facebook Developer SocialAppsHQ Under Your Brand
Facebook application developer SocialAppsHQ launched a white-label version of its platform, which allows agencies and other clients to create ...

A New Way To Re-Engage Your Existing Mobile App Users
Today we are introducing a new way to re-engage your mobile app users with Facebook ads. You can now advertise to people who have taken specific ...

Facebook expands IPO with additional 83.8M shares from existing stockholders
... according to an eighth amendment to its S-1 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Most of these shares are being sold by existing ...

How do you grow your brand through existing clients?
Anna Farmery and I are doing a podcast this week on how to leverage happy clients to grow your brand. We'd love to include your advice in ...

Anytune for Existing Anytune Pro Customers - Choose the Perfect Pitch. for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad ...
Get Anytune for Existing Anytune Pro Customers - Choose the Perfect Pitch. on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” Albert Einstein ...
Pretty dreary here today, but this stop sign caught my attention. Bright, vivid colors can draw attention and add "pop" to a photo. Make a photo ...

SIMple plan: More consumers taking existing mobile phones to new plans to 'enjoy freedom'
More Australians are holding on to their existing mobile phones when signing up to post-paid plans, saying they enjoy the "freedom and flexibility" ...

US existing home sales fall in August
... as investors retreated from real estate and first-time buyers remained scarce. The National Association of Realtors says sales of existing ...

Costco's Australian expansion hits existing stores
Costco Wholesale is pressing ahead with its Australian expansion plans even though new stores are starting to cannibalise its existing ones. ...