Promote Child Portal to Parent and Parent Portal to Child

Here is my situation.  When I created our website at work, we were in charge of a Division of the company in a Directorate, Division, Branch style setup.  So I developed the site with the Division as the parent.  Now we have been requested to re-do and start maintaining the Directorate level website and all childs.  So how do I promote a Child Portal (Directorate) to the Parent Portal and my current Parent Portal (Branch) to a child?

I tried changing the portal aliases to no avail. Any other suggestions?
Jeremy
0
joldham

Change child portal to parent portal.
Dear Buddies, Could anyone please explain the process involved in changing the child portal to parent portal. Regards, Nickel. They are essentially the same thing. So the only difference is the alias which in a child portal might be yourdomain.com/child. When you have a full domain (say newportalname.com) to point at that portal you change the alias (Site Settings) to read www.newportalname.com,newportalname.com Now when your users go to newportalname.com they will be directed to the correct portal. Regards Regards, Nick Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net  Tha...

Diff between Child portal and a parent portal?
Hi Can any one tell me what is the Diff between Child portal and a parent portal? Ever since i upgraded to .Net 1.1 i am not able to create a parent portal. Has anyone noticed this? When using .Net 1.0 it was ok. Creating child portal is ok in .Net 1.1. Thanks. I kind of doubt that it is related to the actual framework that is installed on the machine. If you want to rollback your virtual directory to the 1.0 framework, you can run this command at the command prompt: (could be WINDOWS or WINNT based on your OS) 1. cd C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 2. Run th...

Child portals with child portals
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but it is in relation to a custom module so here it goes. Can a child portal have child portals? If i try to create a child portal within a child portal using the standard dnn portal creator the portal seems to be created correctly except for the fact that the directory with default.ascx is created in the root of the dnn site not as a subdirectory of the child folder. If i move the directory the portal seems to behave. Is the location of the folder handled by PortalCrontroller.Createportal or is it just a...

Converting a Child Portal to a Parent portal
I have a child portal on my host whose owner recently registered a domain name. Now, rather than seeing the <www.myhost../portal/childportalname> URL in the client browser, they would like the address to remain at their domain name. I think that I need to convert their portal from a child portal to a parent portal. Is this possible without having to create a new portal? If so, how do I go about doing it? actually, it's REALLY simple. All you have to do is change the Portal alias field in the site settings to the new URL. (or, alternatively, have both aliases in this filed seper...

one portal(child portal and parent portal) can have multiple domain names at same time?
I create one child portal: www.mysite.com/client, now my client want to add one www.clientsite.com domain on it and doesn't change anything.Is it possible?I have added it on my DNN, but it doesn't work.I want to know, one portal(child portal and parent portal) can have multiple domain names at same time?...

How to generate URLs to child portals on a parent portal
I have a multi portal setup where I have a main parent portal representing the United States and several child portals representing US cities. I want to have links to various items of content on my child portals on my parent portal such as events, profiles, forums, etc.....There is no easy function call in DotNetNuke to do this from what I can find. Also, handling the "www" can be troublesome as if a user logs into the parent as parent.com all child links must be parent.com/child and if user logs in as www parent.com then all child links must be as www parent.com/child.I desribed this proble...

DNN child portals without parent portal?
I currently have www.domain.com setup as the primary DNN portal.  In addition, I have multiple child portals underneath www.domain.com Question:  Is it possible to make www.domain.com a regular web site (flash/html) without affecting the child portals. I am afraid to point www.domain.com to a subfolder becuase it may mess up the child portals even if I leave all of the DNN files untouched. Any thoughts?...

Share parent portals pages across all child portals
Hi, Is there a way one can share pages (defined in a parent portal) across child portals? I'm implementing an intranet for a holding company with different sister companies, and would like to set up so that going to holdingcompany/coA would give me all of the pages defined for portal holdingcompany + those defined for coA. Thanks, Tinky_Lou...

Make parent portal pages visible to all child portals
Hi, Is there a way I can define a parent portal (DNN) and make specific pages available to all child portals? In this way, I could have a parent portal with certain 'shared' menu items across all child portals, but the child portals would have certain unique info. So far, it looks like the only thing the child portals have in common is that they're all the same directory. Thanks, Tinky_Lou...

Do Parent Portal and child Portal share authentication info?
Do Parent Portal and child Portal share authentication info? If not is there any way to share user information between the portals. thx Samir The user info is stored in the same table in the DB, and there are two things that happen: a) there cannot be two users with the same username, it does not matter if they are in different portals, wether they are PArent or child does not matter. b) If a user registers again with the same username and password to another portal, it is silently added. Modifications to any of his settings/info reflect in every portal. Sometimes this m...

Security Problems - Parent Portal and Child Portal
I have website mysite.com. When user clicks on mymusic page there is a link to open new child portal user1.mysite.com.Scenario 11.1) User1 clicks on MyMusic page1.2) User clicks on user1.mysite.com link. 1.3) New child portal opens user1.mysite.comProblem/Issue:1.1) User1 should be administrator in user1.mysite.com1.2) User1 should be a regular/non admin user in www.mysite.com1.3) No login is neccesary to user1.mysite.com, user should be athenticated automaticly, since he already provided uid/pwd to www.mysite.comScenario 2)2.1) User2 clicks on MusicSites Page2.2) User2 clicks on l...

1 user 1 parent portal 3 child portals -
Here is the dilema I have an input or help would be greatly appreciated I need to provide a multi portal solution and provide users access to different child portals based on their individual or group rights Here is the layout www.parent.com www.parent.com\child1 www.parent.com\child2 www.parent.com\child3 User Jdoe is a user on Parent , JDoe also has access to Child2 Do I need to create two user accounts, one in each portal? Do I need to create identical roles for each portal? Is this possible? I know it would require a change to the core but I do...

Files in Child Portals pointing to location in Parent Portal 0
I'm using DNN 2.12 to build our intranet. I've created one child portal for each department. I've uploaded files in each of the child portals. I can create links to these files just fine. The problem is that the links always point to http://intranet.corp.company.com/portals/0/%filename% instead of http://intranet.corp.company.com/portals/%portalid%/%filename even though the file exists in that portalid folder and not the 0 folder and the files appear in the File Manager for the portalid and not the 0 (parent) portal. Has anybody seen this? Any ideas on how to fi...

Creating Parent or Child Portals and Home Directory: Portals/[PortalID] Customize
I have installed and used many separate DNN installs (one for each company or friend), but never created child or parent portals off 1 main DNN install. I want to host a few sites for friends and small businesses using 1 DNN install and either parent or child portals off of that,  DNN 4.0.3 This will make upgrading going forward much easier I would assume. Just upgrade the one install of DNN instead of each install I host for friends. ….Question1: what do I use and why, Parent or Child? Advantages and Disadvantages of each When I create a child portal, there is an option for Home Di...

Web resources about - Promote Child Portal to Parent and Parent Portal to Child - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Beyond The Great Wall: Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Promotes ‘Lean In’ In China
... is not banned in China , as she spoke in front of more than 800 people at the Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business in Beijing to promote ...

Promote Your App - Facebook for Business
The app world is highly competitive, with thousands of new apps available each day. Make sure the right people discover yours and stay engaged. ...

Promote Your App - Facebook-Entwickler
Promote Your AppLearn how to promote your app to reach a larger audience.Get installs for your appFo...

Facebook Making Changes to News Feed, Requests, Bookmarks to Promote Social Games — or Hide Them
In the latest of Facebook’s ongoing efforts to reshape its developer platform, it is introducing big changes aimed at the most successful category ...

New York promotes mobile app to report suspicious activity in ‘See Something, Say Something’ campaign ...
... For more news on Apps , police , and Department of Homeland Security continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "New York promotes ...

PitchTube Part 1: Kuka Promotes Media Transparency
... 1: Kuka – Helsinki-based Startup That Enables Journalists and Experts To Connect Quickly Kuka is on a mission: the startup wants to promote ...

Sprint promotes new ‘Save 50%’ offer with the most annoying ad ever
Sprint on Wednesday unveiled its latest attempt to lure people away from rival carriers by offering to cut your wireless rates by 50% if you ...

Gov. Kasich walks back idea of federal agency to promote 'Judeo-Christian' values in Muslim nations
... candidate John Kasich is now walking back his profoundly un-American idea . One day after urging the creation of a federal agency to promote ...

Fox Television Stations Promotes Joseph DiScipio To Oversee Legal And FCC Issues
... consent negotiations with pay TV distributors. So Fox Television Stations has put a lot on the plate of Joseph DiScipio, who was just promoted ...