PROBLEMS with DNN 2.1.2 and winXP SP 2

Hi

Sinc I have installed WinXP SP 2 (I am running winXPPro), I can no longer get DNN to work. All I get is the following error message :
-------------------------------------
DotNetNuke Upgrade Error
The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] )
ERROR: Could not connect to database.
--------------------------------------
Has anyone else experienced this ? And if so, how do I sort this problem out. Installations of DNN 2.1.2 that I had running perfectly before I did this now also do not want to work, and generate the same error message.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
terjul

This issue has some history here.  If you search for xp you can locate the relevant posts.  Briefly, XP Pro SP2 adds some firewall enhancements, and I think it's port 1433 that's used for communication.  There's a couple of ways to handle it.  Some make changes to their web.config file to specify (local) rather than localhost in the connection string, and others adjust the firewall setting to open the port for local net use only.

I've got it working at home with the same setup, just adjusted the firewall port.
iwonder
Mission, KS - USA
0
iwonder
9/15/2004 3:55:46 PM
From what I understand, the SQL port is blocked unless you patch for the SQL Slammer virus so even if you turn off XP's firewall you'll still have a problem unless you patch your system.
0
scottrait
9/15/2004 5:24:52 PM
Search the forums some more, but I ran into this and it wasn't firewalls or SQL stuff, it was just changing the web config file to:

(appSettings)
<add key="connectionString" value="Server=(local);Database=dotnetnuke;
(and for SqlDataProvider)
connectionString = "Server=(local);Database=dotnetnuke;
whereas before (local) said localhost.
I have no idea why. But if it works, whatever, and then we'll let the core team figure out why. ;)
0
gabehoffman
9/15/2004 8:08:31 PM
(local) is resolved by the SQL Server netlib and uses whatever network protocol you have configured in Client Network Utility (same with "."). The netlib does not understand localhost, so it passes this to the IP stack which resolves it via the hosts file. To do this though, it needs to have the tcp/ip netlib, so usually this indicates that's its not installed. Localhost also occasionally causes problems with trusted connections and it seems that xp sp2 doesn't like it very much either.

I've been meaning to make this change, I'll update the source tonight.
Thanks,
Cathal
0
cathal
9/15/2004 10:40:04 PM
(local) and .  both use the in memory library rather than the network library

hence they have no network traffic at all, and cannot be blocked by the firewall.
0
rwil02
9/16/2004 1:40:57 AM
I just can't understand this - when I set the web.config to use (local) instead of localhost, I get the following error :

----- start of error -----
Server Error in '/DNNTest' Application.
Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source Error:
Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
DotNetNuke.DataProvider.Instance() +193
DotNetNuke.Upgrade.AutoUpgrade() +82
DotNetNuke.Global.Application_Start(Object Sender, EventArgs E) +150

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

------ end of error ------
And then when I refresh the page, I get the following message, which seems to be familiar to most of the posters trying to help me here :
------ start of error message ------
DotNetNuke Upgrade Error
The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] )
ERROR: Could not connect to database.
Continue
------- end of error message ------
Now what I cant understand is that other applications that I have running on my machine can access the database simply by using the server=(local) command, but DNN can't for some reason. Sothis leads me to believe that there is not a problem connecting to the SQL server as has been suggested, but that the problem actually lies somewhere else - like maybe in the SqlDataProvider ? I don't know - I am not that advanced in my knowledge ...
Can anyone give me some insight here ? This is really becoming frustrating.
I have to date tried the following :
1. Turned off the firewall completely - no luck
2. Changed localhost to (local) in my web.config - no luck
3. Tried referencing my server by name (in this case TUROC) - no luck
4. Added SQL Server as an exception program to the firewall settings - no luck
5. Added port 1433 and 1434 as exceptions to the firewall settings - no luck
I just can't understand why I have other applications that use SQL Server running with no problems, but none of my DNN installations (that were working 100% before application of SP2) will run.
Thanks for taking the time to read this - hopefully someone somewhere can help me work this issue out ...
Rgds

terjul

DotNetNuke 2.1.2 #2
Is DotNetNuke 2.1.2 compatible with SQL Server 2005? Do I need to upgrade to 3.x or 4.x with SQL Server 2005?...

Having problem modifying controls with new DNN 2.0.1 and DNN 2.0.2
Has something changed in the DNN 2.0.1 and DNN 2.0.2 releases of DNN that will not allow changes to the DesktopModules? In DNN 2.0.0 I was able to go and modify the EditContact.ascx file and place the following fields on the form. Last Name: First Name: Department: I made all the change to the database table and the stored procedures. I made the changes to the ContactsDB files as well as the changes to the DataProvider file and the SqlDataProvider file. In version DNN 2.0.0 the modified contacts form works like a champ I changed the Contacts form to show the three new fields...

updated 1.2.2 to 2.0.1 but still shows 1.2.2
I just reinstalled the SBS 6 with the NW6 SP3 Overly cd and i put web access, iprint, dhcp/dns, naas on the initial install. I then proceded to upgrade edir to 8.7.1 ( i updated jvm and the other stuff that 8.7.1 required first) and everything went great. I then udated imanager from 1.2.2. to 2.0.1 and the install went as expected no errors or anything. Here is the problem when i surf to iManager with internet exploder 6 it shows me i am using 1.2.2. I read the instructions and they talk about some migrating but the direction don't match imanager 1.2.2 (i assume they are reffe...

where to get dnn 2.0.2 (not 2.0.1 beta 2)
where can i get the new version? on dotnetnuke.com there is only version "dotnetnuke 2.0.1 (beta 2)" for download. but the protal is running on 2.0.2 ... other question: 2.0.1 b2 is running on access and (other ver.) on mssql. the access-powerde version ist mutch slower; not only a bit; it's nearly not pos. the work with it. why? 1) 2.0.2 is not yet available for download. As soon as it is, you will see it on the download page at DotNetNuke. 2) The MS Access version was created to prove the validity of the DataProvider model. Jet SQL is very limited compared to T-SQL and...

How to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2?
I have 2.1.1 wokring fine and I have spent a lot of time making it just right but I want to make sure I have the latest & greatest so I am trying to get 2.1.2 to work so I can upgrade. When I try to set-up 2.1.2 I get a few errors such as: Could Not Load Skin: ~/Portals/_default/Skins/_default/admin.ascx Error: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Temporary ASP.NET Files\dnn212\295dc47c\1861dacc\3z6nxty1.0.vb(159): error BC30560: 'admin_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'. Is there a simple way to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2? RDD Iff you have not made any cha...

Smoke [5.12.2] v5.12.2-RC1-1-g28e61b3 FAIL(F) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP3 (x86/2 cpu) #2
Automated smoke report for 5.12.2 patch 28e61b373366f2434addc3fad22d10a27e9= c1b0c v5.12.2-RC1-1-g28e61b3 maldoror.bath.planit.group: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz(~2660 MHz= ) (x86/2 cpu) on MSWin32 - WinXP/.Net SP3 using cl version 15.00.30729.01 smoketime 7 hours 6 minutes (average 42 minutes 41 seconds) Summary: FAIL(F) O =3D OK F =3D Failure(s), extended report at the bottom X =3D Failure(s) under TEST but not under harness ? =3D still running or test results not (yet) available Build failures during: - =3D unknown or N/A c =3D Configu...

problem with dotnetnuke 2.1.2
I am getting the following error message on my home system "it appears your menu.dll is out of synch with your script file" how do I get it to work again? This happens when compiling from raw code, and when just using the website..... Jarrad it's caused when your temporary internet folder is using an older version. Do a page reload via Ctrl+F5 to force a fresh download, and the problem goes away Cathal yes that works... damn I normally clear out cached files.. but for some reason didn't think that that was the problem this time <sigh/>. Thanks cathal ...

Create module using .NET ver 2.0 and use with DNN 2.1.2
Hi all, i would like to start to test the .NET 2.0 version of the framework ad i would like to know is there some problem if i write a module with the 2.0 version of .NET and use with DNN 2.1.2. Thanks Stefano...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

Upgrade DNN from 2.0 to 2.1.2
Hello... I manage to install a new installation (clean installation) of DNN and create a web-portal. But when I try to upgrade from DNN 2.0 til 2.1.2, I dont understand what to do? Anyone who can help me with this? S Step 1. BACKUP ALL ASSOCIATED FILES RELATED TO YOUR DNN SITE. i.e. Database, portal files, etc. Step 2. Extract all the files from the DNN 212 zip into your sites directory so that you overwrite the existing files. Step 3. Modify the web.config file as needed so as to be able to connect to your database. Step 4. Visit your web site and wait for DNN 212...

Problem with magicGadget 1.0/DNN 2.1.2
I installed mG1.0 no problems and the basic text box functionality works. I have a problem with file locations - I specified Server Text mode and deselected 'Limit files to Portal...'. I then selected a file that is in my root directory - 404.htm (typing in just the file name) - I hit update and nothing really happens - hitting cancel I get the following error:- A critical error has occurred. Could not find file "c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\404.htm". when the error occurs I have no options to edit the module content I can change module settings or delete it my ro...

DNN 2.1.2 to 3.1.2 upgrade, skin probs
OK, we'll I've had a good read around here, and I've read Charles great install doc.  But I'm still stuck.In fact I've had to restore my old db and files - and have got back to 2.1.2.My problem is that upon upgrading, I get a light blue 'skin'? appearance on the all the modules.  The 2.1.2 sites (six of them) do not have that "appearance" - and that's the way I'd like to keep it.  I have tried 'resetting' the skins (in that Admin section they all show as 'not installed' (or whatever it is)).  It doesn't seem to help.  I get several 'container file not found' type mes...

Version 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 upgrade
Hi folks, I upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 last night. In case anybody wants it, I created a ZIP file containing the changed RUNTIME files - all you need to do is extract and ftp over the top of your 2.1.1 install - assuming you've NOT MODIFIED anything yourself... ;) Get the ZIP file here. Hope someone finds it helpful. joel joelblogs.co.uk...

Web resources about - PROBLEMS with DNN 2.1.2 and winXP SP 2 - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Malcolm Turnbull's first 100 days as Prime Minister: Successes and problems
December 23 marks 100 full days as Prime Minister for Malcolm Turnbull. How has he fared? Lisa Cox looks at his successes and the headaches. ...

'Deported' from Pakistan: Dean Jones says visa problem was 'my fault'
When the former Test batsman turned up at Islamabad airport at the weekend he didn't count on his arrival becoming an international incident. ...

Where will ISIS attack next? Christmas travel a problem for intelligence agencies
IT’S that time of year when we let our guards down, when we relax and look forward to spending time with our loved ones over the festive break. ...

China's Shenzhen ignored warnings of waste problem a year before landslide disaster
A government official warned a year ago that China's boomtown Shenzhen would run out of space to dump building waste. On Sunday his worst fears ...

Malcolm Turnbull's first 100 days as Prime Minister: Successes and problems
December 23 marks 100 full days as Prime Minister for Malcolm Turnbull. How has he fared? Lisa Cox looks at his successes and the headaches. ...

Lawler: "Yes, Houston will have a problem next year"
Some thoughts on the Houston housing market from housing economist Tom Lawler: Earlier this week I sent out a message with a link to the Houston ...

Court secrecy is a dangerous problem
Recently unveiled documents in the Remington faulty-trigger case show court secrecy can lead to unnecessary deaths, says Arthur Bryant.

Yesterday’s technologies, today’s problems
When I first heard the story, I didn’t believe it. I mean, really, a Paris airport forced to shut down because a computer running Windows 3.1 ...

Michael Moore Reveals European Solutions To American Problems
... that we as Americans should also enjoy: free (University) education, child care, maternity leave, paid vacation, health care for all. Problems ...