Never done upgrade before. Have a 2.1.2 site w/many custom (purchased) modules, some of which are no longer supported. Don't see *any* info in 3.1 install docs for 2.1.2 upgrade?

Hey folks:

I'm about to try something very scary, and I've spent the last 5 or so hours reading DNN 3.1 docs and doing searches here (sure which the search worked better, like allowed sort by date??).  Anyway, I don't see *any* info on updating a 2.1.2 site to a 3.1 site.  The only examples all have machine key stuff and other stuff that's not an issue (or is it?) w/2.1.2

Here's the situation:

1 I have localhost access to the site via remote desktop
2. I have disconnected backed up data and log files and reconnected
3. I have made a copy of the virtual folder.

Now, this is where I get scared, because I've read the install doc three times, and I don't know where to go from here.  Has anyone done a successful upgrade from 2.1.2 to 3.x? (should be the same, right?)

1. should I delete *all* the custom modules from the site first?  I have to at least do so for the ones w/no 3.x version, right?  Do I just delete the modules w/no 3.x version? (from pages and then the modules themselves?), and then put the 3.x versions of these modules in in the 'install' folder?  Or should I just leave this alone, and worry about it *after* upgrade?
2. Which brings me to the most important questions.  Do I need to create a new virtual directory and upgrade into that?  Or just copy over the old virtual directory w/the 3.1 files?  It never actually *makes this clear* in the documentation that I can tell.  All it does it talk about newfolders, so I assume somehow the upgrade process copies from one virtual directory/database to another?  That doesn't make any sense!

Could someone give me a heads up on a 2.1.2 -> 3.10 install procedure assuming *one* default portal, and custom modules?  I can't be the only person out of 170K folks who will be doing this for the first time.  And I need some kind of direction which I cannot infer from a 3.x -> 3.1 upgrade.  I've never *done* an upgrade before, and don't want to spend the 2-3 days it would take to recreate the whole website.  Of course, I also don't want to spend 2-3 days finding out why my upgrade doesn't work. ;-)  Or point me to a specific upgrade steps from 2.1.2 to 3.1 that's been posted here?  I certainly can't find one.  I'd sure appreciate anyone's feedback who has done this already....

0
aaava

aaava,

I'm very sorry to disapoint you, but you can't do an upgrad from 2.1.2 to 3.10, with custom modules that are no longer supported. The problem is that most certainly some, if not all the modules won't work at all.
You have 3 solutions:
1 - Don't upgrade... :-(
2 - Make sure your modules work in 3.1.0, if you have the source code it's easy...just recode them... :-)
3 - Contact the developers of your modules, and ask them the conversion.

Whatever your decision is, make sure you do a real good backup of your database, and your virtual directory.

I've tried an upgrade from 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 in an intranet at my work place, and belive me, it was a pain in the a**. Took me a whole week to recode all of the modules i have, and it's still not complete!!! The upgrade steps are the same, as described for 3.0.13 to 3.1.0.

hope that helps

Ant Mac
DNN Portugal
0
R2_D2
6/14/2005 12:28:09 AM

I have a site that uses a lot of custom modules as well. I have bee holding back until some crucial components are finished. But I have taken a different approach. Instead of upgrading, I have just used the opportunity to start from scratch. Upgrading is something that I have put in the too hard basket. As long as the users are brought across it should be ok. Snowcovered does sell a few utilities to help you migrate the user tables across.

regards

Eric

0
eric
6/14/2005 1:13:22 AM

Just did one...

Upgrade to 3.0.13 1st as the upgrade directly to 3.1 failed.

I did not delete all the custom modules 1st, just removed them all from the main page of the host portal. If I would have been thinking I would have made sure that I at least moved all those that I could not upgrade to the same page. This was a fairly large installation so I figured I could never catch them all. Damned hard to catch all the shadow modules etc.

Steps...

  • Create new alias in 2.1.2 install for upgrade access (I used upgrade.mysite.com)
  • Create new directory
  • Copy 2.1.2 files to new directory
  • Copy 3.0.13 files over 2.1.2 files
  • Backup 2.1.2 DB
  • Create new db
  • Restore Backed-up DB over new db
  • edit web.config with correct db settings
  • In IIS create new site with headers for upgrade.mysite.com and point to new installation directory
  • Access site at upgrade.mysite.com
  • Watch the upgrade go smoothly from 2.1.2 to 3.0.13
  • Upgrade all modules that can be upgraded. This includes users online etc.
  • Delete pages where modules can't be upgraded

I plan to run the site for a few weeks at 3.0.13 to see what happens and to catch some of the modules I missed, then I'll try moving it to 3.1. All in all it went pretty good.

Worst case is the upgrade takes a dump and I need to roll it back to 2.1.2 and try it over again.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Icthus Technologies

Building Faith on the Internet
0
IcthusTech

  • Access site at upgrade.mysite.com
  • Watch the upgrade go smoothly from 2.1.2 to 3.0.13
  • Upgrade all modules that can be upgraded. This includes users online etc.
  • Delete pages where modules can't be upgraded

I plan to run the site for a few weeks at 3.0.13 to see what happens and to catch some of the modules I missed, then I'll try moving it to 3.1. All in all it went pretty good.

Worst case is the upgrade takes a dump and I need to roll it back to 2.1.2 and try it over again.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Hey thanks dude.  So, big problems moving to 3.1?  Ugh.  I've *got* 3.0.13 installed for another website.  Ain't too happy w/the stability.  But, since you're the only on who's gone through this (? ;-(  )...guess I'll go by your directions.  One question.  I'm doing this on localhost, so I don't have a '.com' available.  Only localhost/myvirtualdirectory.  So I don't see how I can accomplish as an alias...and even more important, in IIS, since I don't have a website, just virtual domains hanging off my xp pro box.  Any ideas of a workaround for this issue?  What's the reason for doing the 'upgrade.mystite.com'?  Just for backup?  If so, I can disconnect my db, make a copy of the two files, and connect it again.  This solves the db problem backup.  And then just make a copy of my virtual directory.  That would remove the need for this 'upgrade.mysite.com' thing, right?  You're just doing this to have a backup?  I can figure everything else out (in fact, I've been deleting stuff custom modules from my module definitions....as soon as I try to delete friggin' magic gadget I get an error.  Then, whenever I try to remove *another* module, I get an error all the time.  Different one:

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load type VTFixup Table from assembly DNSLookup.

Source Error:

Line 196:				<add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=yadayadachanged"/>
Line 197: <add assembly="System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=yadaydadachanged"/>
Line 198: <add assembly="*"/>
Line 199: </assemblies>
Line 200: </compilation>

Source File: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config    Line: 198

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

What the heck?  Anyway, I'm gonna remove modules manually via Enterprise Manager now.  But I'd appreciate if someone can give me a workaround for the above.  I take it I just

0. delete all custom modules and custom module definitions
1. backup database and virtual folder
2. toss a copy of web.config somewhere handy
3. overwrite w/new 3.x install over folder.
4. make changes to new web.config from old web.config.  Change vbprol.webprovider and dotnetnuke.sln files for new virtual directory.
5. access the site, and it will automatically run some install?  I cannot find this info for 2.x ANYWHERE in the docs.  I thought there was an 'installer' program that had to be run.

Could someone please give a hand w/this?  How is someone supposed to uprade from 2.x when there's no info in the docs.  I did a search on 2.1.2 and it stops on page 9 of the install doc.  And no other reference to 2.x in any readme's or anything.  *Ack*.  It's always somethin'. ;-)

0
aaava
6/14/2005 2:18:26 AM
MagicGadget has always been my bane.  Just can't delete the
thing.  Won't let me delete from Module Definitions.  So I go
into EM, delete all the store procs for it, delete all the foreign
keys, delete all teh magic gadget tables, delete from ModuleDefinitions
table...and before I did this I deleted all items from my Recycle Bin,
and all modules except for core modules from any tabs.

So, all references to Magic Gadget are *gone* right?  Wrong.  Still shows up in Host->ModuleDefinitions.  Could someone please tell me why?  I've cleared the cache, stopped and restarted IIS.  I hate going through these things alone.  Wish someone had a FAQ somewhere or something that explained these things.  I've give up on the documentation ever being clear enough for stuff.  It's not a core team responsibility.  But the search function for this forum is not good.  So finding things releated is near to impossible.  So we keep asking the same questions over and over and over again.

Again, I'd truly appreciate some help w/someone pointing me to a 2.1.2 -> 3.1 install.  I appreciate the one person who's helped, but I can't use that approach, since I'm doing this from localhost.  Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time answering others' questions sometimes.  It's like working on the core team...a thanlkess task. :-(

0
aaava
6/14/2005 2:55:05 AM
Alan,
There are lots of threads for upgrading from 2.x in these forums. 2.x to 3.x (any version) is the same scenario, you have to get past the third party modules that need upgrading.  The advice you were given in this thread is very good, and your approach on localhost will work also. Just remember to backup and then you can live through a little trial and error.  I'll also offer a little advice,  when upgrading from 2.x to 3.x the number one thing to remember is:
Patience is a virtue...
John M.

DotNetNuke Module for Performance
0
J7Mitch
6/14/2005 3:14:33 AM
Just forget I posted that.  I'm seriously frustrated, and it's
just the nature of the beast.  I'll figure it out.  Just let
this thread die.  Obviously not enough peolpe have done this who
post.  I'll just deal w/it.
0
aaava
6/14/2005 3:55:30 AM
I'm getting ready to attempt an upgrade from 2.1.2 on my local machine using IIS localhost too.  We can be frustrated together!

My local 2.1.2 site uses Access as the database.  I just installed SQL Server 2000 client tools.  I'm hoping the "update" automatically converts my user database from Access to the new SQL database.

I'm not even sure SQL will work out...

Module migration?  Yeah...  I'm sure that will be fun.

Can anyone recommend any tools on SnowCovered specifically that make it relatively painless to keep 2.1.2 data to port into 3.1.1?
DotNetNuke Bronze Benefactor
0
lilryno
8/21/2005 8:20:59 PM
I was able to successfully upgrade my portals today from 2.1.2 to 3.1.1
using the step-by-step instructions provided by IcthusTech (thanks,
man!) - the only difference for 3.1.1 was that I renamed my web.config,
then renamed release.config and modified the database connection
string.  Now I just have to work on upgrading my modules...

  • Access site at upgrade.mysite.com
  • Watch the upgrade go smoothly from 2.1.2 to 3.0.13
  • Upgrade all modules that can be upgraded. This includes users online etc.
  • Delete pages where modules can't be upgraded

I plan to run the site for a few weeks at 3.0.13 to see what happens and to catch some of the modules I missed, then I'll try moving it to 3.1. All in all it went pretty good.

Worst case is the upgrade takes a dump and I need to roll it back to 2.1.2 and try it over again.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.

0
nlocklin
9/29/2005 8:29:13 PM
 lilryno wrote:
I'm getting ready to attempt an upgrade from 2.1.2 on my local machine using IIS localhost too.  We can be frustrated together!

My local 2.1.2 site uses Access as the database.  I just installed SQL Server 2000 client tools.  I'm hoping the "update" automatically converts my user database from Access to the new SQL database.

I'm not even sure SQL will work out...

Module migration?  Yeah...  I'm sure that will be fun.

Can anyone recommend any tools on SnowCovered specifically that make it relatively painless to keep 2.1.2 data to port into 3.1.1?

Lilryno: Let me save you the trouble - you're not going to magically be able to upgrade from Access to SQL Server. First off, DNN didn't have such a tool (as far as I remember), plus this is not possible period....
I would suggest you try and do an upsize on your access database to covert it to SQL Server first and take it from there. There might still be some instructions out there that explain the procedure (do a search on the forums).... I did create a tool back in the 2.1.2 days which would copy all your data from an Access version of DNN to a SQL Server version (but that's similar to what an upsize would do)...
Finally, if you have custom modules for your access version, you'll have to make sure that you have the corresponding modules on the SQL Server side.
Upgrading is not an easy process and if the site is not worth it, I would recommend simply starting from scratch. You're probably better off that way with all the enhancements that are in the 3.x version in any case....

My two cents and no one has to agree with it.....
0
smehrotra75

How to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2?
I have 2.1.1 wokring fine and I have spent a lot of time making it just right but I want to make sure I have the latest & greatest so I am trying to get 2.1.2 to work so I can upgrade. When I try to set-up 2.1.2 I get a few errors such as: Could Not Load Skin: ~/Portals/_default/Skins/_default/admin.ascx Error: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607\Temporary ASP.NET Files\dnn212\295dc47c\1861dacc\3z6nxty1.0.vb(159): error BC30560: 'admin_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'. Is there a simple way to upgrade from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2? RDD Iff you have not made any cha...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

Version 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 upgrade
Hi folks, I upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2 last night. In case anybody wants it, I created a ZIP file containing the changed RUNTIME files - all you need to do is extract and ftp over the top of your 2.1.1 install - assuming you've NOT MODIFIED anything yourself... ;) Get the ZIP file here. Hope someone finds it helpful. joel joelblogs.co.uk...

Auto Upgrade from 2.1.2 w/ Access to 3.1.1 w/ SQL?
Just wondering if the install script and the Auto Upgrade of 3.1 is able to upgrade the Access database of a DNN 2.1.2 local site to a SQL database for 3.1 - and if so, do I need to create a SQL database first?  I would assume so since one must create a SQL database for a clean install.Or are users of DNN 2.1.2 using the Access dataprovider hosed on the upgrade to 3.1?  Thanks for any help. It seems there isn't a way to "upgrade" from an Access 2.1.2 database into the 3.1 SQL database.  That being said....  Anyone know of a way to port the old Access database into some ...

Bug DNN 3.1.1 Upgrade from 2.1.2 -> 3.1.0 ->
Somewhere along the process, (I missed when) a portal upgrade created a problem with portal creation. The site is created fine, but the password for the admin is never correct. I have to use host to correct it. Anyone faced this ?Do you know the truth when you hear it? are you using the same hash keys in your web.config? this got me one time-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Thanks, this helped me narrow it down and realize it was possibly the upgrade from DNN2 to DNN 3. Since there are no hash keys in DNN2 because it uses an encryption key, how did you solve it?Do you know ...

DNN 2.1.2 to 3.1.2 upgrade, skin probs
OK, we'll I've had a good read around here, and I've read Charles great install doc.  But I'm still stuck.In fact I've had to restore my old db and files - and have got back to 2.1.2.My problem is that upon upgrading, I get a light blue 'skin'? appearance on the all the modules.  The 2.1.2 sites (six of them) do not have that "appearance" - and that's the way I'd like to keep it.  I have tried 'resetting' the skins (in that Admin section they all show as 'not installed' (or whatever it is)).  It doesn't seem to help.  I get several 'container file not found' type mes...

Having problems loging in after upgrading from 2.1.2 to 3.1.1
Ok i have done the upgrade from 2.1.2 to 3.1.1 the installer did its magic and i got the click here to access your portal/site which means the upgrade went well... but now i get this error on my homepage A critical error has occurred.Multiple controls with the same ID 'ctr' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.Can some one help me out and explain what this means???? Has any one seen that before ??? ... The other thing i cannot log into the site either ... when i login it takes me back to the home page and i dont have the control panel or anythin...

DotNetNuke Upgrade 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 can't edit html modules
Ok I upgrade my 2.1.2 to 3.0.13. Site is really important because it actually makes money but I really need the advantage of friendly urls blah blah blah I uninstall all my custom modules except my PA Faq's from dotnetjedi that is really the heart of my site. I of course did a test upgrade on a different machine and I was able to leave that one custom module installed, upgrade, the module broke of course, then I uploaded the dnn 3 version and it worked :) So anyway I now do the upgrade on my live site and it upgrades just like it did on the test machine, except this time I noticed that the...

updated 1.2.2 to 2.0.1 but still shows 1.2.2
I just reinstalled the SBS 6 with the NW6 SP3 Overly cd and i put web access, iprint, dhcp/dns, naas on the initial install. I then proceded to upgrade edir to 8.7.1 ( i updated jvm and the other stuff that 8.7.1 required first) and everything went great. I then udated imanager from 1.2.2. to 2.0.1 and the install went as expected no errors or anything. Here is the problem when i surf to iManager with internet exploder 6 it shows me i am using 1.2.2. I read the instructions and they talk about some migrating but the direction don't match imanager 1.2.2 (i assume they are reffe...

Error in Upgrade from 3.1.1 to 3.2.2
Upgrading a 3.1.1 version to 3.2.2 logged this error in the script for 3.2.1 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX terminated because a duplicate key was found for index ID 4. Most significant primary key is '3785'. Could not create constraint. See previous errors. The statement has been terminated. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQuery(SqlConnection connection, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteNonQ...

upgrade problems from 3.1.1 to 3.2.2
I just unzipped to the dir and ran the web page.  Are there any web.config setting i need to change?  It went throught the update process and said successful but then I go to the page I just get : An error has occurred.An error has occurred.   and the url looks like this http://localhost/LNL/Default.aspx?tabid=36&error=Object+reference+not+set+to+an+instance+of+an+object.&content=0 www.jiltedcitizen.comwww.livegreenforum.com Did you do anything with the web.config in your directory? Save it as a backup and rename the releas.config file as the docum...

Help!!! After upgrading DNN 2.1.2 to 3.1.1 FTB Error
I keep on getting this error after upgrading a DNN 2.1.2 to DNN 3.1.1 (Windows 2k with SQL Server 2000). The Text/HTML module when in edit comes up with error as follws; Edit Text/HTML    Basic Text Box Rich Text Editor An error has occurred.DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1. at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.ParseRoot() at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() at Sys...

Upgrade 2.1.2 to 3.1 PLAN
Just wanted to throw my plan out there for upgrade.  Allow smarter folks to tell me where I will run into trouble.  I have a 2.1.2 site on a rented server.  I have a 2.1.2 development site using Access on my local machine.  I have recently installed and configured SQL Server 2000 locally and a DNN 3.1 local website which works fine.  I also have custom modules I've written (poorly but they work) and many third party modules on my server side production site.  My plan to upgrade the server site is:1.  Update my custom modules to work with DNN3 (by testing th...

Upgrading from 2.1.2 to 3.1.00
I am upgrading a DNN site from version 2.1.2 to 3.1.00. Now, I did read the "DotNetNuke Installation Guide.doc" ! (Ya Sure, You Betcha!) And, what I get is the error "The stored procedure 'dbo.GetPortalAliasByPortalID' doesn't exist." no matter what I do.In the What went wrong? Section of the 3.1 Docs you find a siminlar error message "Could not find stored procedure 'dbo.GetPortals' " and it talks about issues with the objectqualifier and dnn.config ! I've never used the objectqualifier previously, thus the value is set to a blank string and the dnn.config says...

Web resources about - Never done upgrade before. Have a 2.1.2 site w/many custom (purchased) modules, some of which are no longer supported. Don't see *any* info in 3.1 install docs for 2.1.2 upgrade? - asp.net.dotnetnuke