Isolating web.config from it's parent web.config

I need to run an application withing a sub-directory of another application. Basically, I need to install an old version of DNN as a subdirectory of a current DNN2 installation.

I get a problem of conflicting web.configs. The subdirectory want to use it's parent directory's web.config file. I thought by making the subdirectory an "application" in IIS that it would use the web.config in it's own folder but instead, it is referenceing the web.config file from it's parent.
Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Stef.
0
scancelli

Stef,

Because of the hierarchical nature of ASP.net application configuration, until a specific web.config section override is encountered, the definitions in the same section in the parent web.config are still in effect for a child application. Generally, you have to issue a <clear /> in the child web.config to negate this effect. Also, if there are any references to assemblies in the parent web.config, these assemblies will need to be present in the child "bin" folder even if they are not being used. This resource will provide more information:
Hierarchical Configuration Architecture
Nik

Nik Kalyani
Speerio, Inc.

[DotNetNuke and ASP.Net solutions here]
0
cniknet
7/1/2004 2:57:40 PM
Thanks Nik,

Does that mean that any sub directories will share the same Session and Application objects of it's parent? I want to be able to have a sub directory behave as an autonomous entity with it's own Session and Application objects.
Is their a way to accomplish this. In classic ASP, simply putting a Global.asa file in a directory and marking the directory as an application in IIS would let you configure it this way. There must be a simple way of doing this with ASP.NET apps.
Stef.
0
scancelli
7/1/2004 6:10:56 PM
Nik,

In addition to my previous post - from reading that MSDN article, the only way to do what I need is to create a virtual directory on my web server pointed to the nested application. This would be fine for me, but what about people using shared hosting services. I doubt many ISP let them create virtual directories ad-hoc (I don't let my clients do this without a specific request).
Stef.
0
scancelli

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

how to let the web.config in the sub-directory to NOT to inherited from Root's web.config.
Hi,all,   How to let the sub-directory to avoid the authentication control from Root's webconfig? I heard that we can add a new web.config to the sub-directory. And then we can slove the problem.   Virtual directory is :http://localhost/main   Sub-directory is : http://localhost/main/reminder   My application used the Forms Authentication, then all files in every directory is controlled by the Forms Authentication. But now i want a sub-directory to avoid this. (user can access this directory directly, Needn't to Login.)   In my application, the user can ac...

running 2 web.configs in the same website 1 in /web.config and one in /swf/web.config
Im having issues doing this. and when i remove the authentication from the swf/web.config it still doesnt seem to be applying to the child website at all. Whats the proper way to set a child website? Thanks!!  The lower most web.config overrides all previous settings. So if you remove the section from the /swf/web.config whatever settings you have in the web.config in the next higher level will have an effect on the content of the child folder.So instead of removing a section, try giving appropriate settings in the /swf/web.config....

what's the difference in configing web.config with SQL Server and MSDE?
I always get mistakes alert. And how to install MS SQL Server 2000 to a windows server 2003, I encount incompatible problem.thanks...

Interop reads machine.config but not site's web.config
I created some server web controls, registered in the GAC, and stored their settings in the web.config in the root of the site.  To avoid having to maintain multiple copies of code for supporting an ASP/ASP.NET environment, I created an interop.  When I used the interop in ASP, it was unable to read the settings stored in the site's web.config; I had to move them to the machine.config.  Is there a way around this default bevahior? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!   meh...I figured it out. I just had to use OpenWebConfiguration and spec...

Typed DataSet's ConnectionString from site's Web.Config
Hi to all, how can we get from a Strong-Typed DataSet inside a Library Class the ConnectionString which is inside the site's web.config ?The connection string must be unique (one definition only in web.config).We'd like to avoid rewriting the same connection string for every library in their respective properties.settings.Thanks and Regards,Sergio  In a web application Library classes (DLLs) run in the same process as the main application and have access to the same configuration data as the main application.  So all you have to do is access the AppSetting or ConnectionS...

How to config Web Site Administration Tool in web hosting 's site?
I 'm uploading my website to Web Hosting site for the first time , Everything went well until i realized that i can't login . The problem is when created login form i use Login and CreateUserWizard tools of asp.net and Web Site Administration Tool to create a database to store registered user in App_Data folder , now i don't know where to change connection string in Web hosting page (there 's no Web Site Administration Tool ), the connection string 's not in web.config file nor any code behind file . So my question is how to config it and also another Web Site Admi...

Need to put this in a web.config file. Transfer a collection from app.config to web.config.

Merging my web.config.mylibrary with the web.config
I see multiples web.config files in the framework 2.0 folder.  There is a way to had a web.config.mylibrary file that contains part of the configuration section.For example, I want that the profile section to be in the web.config.mylibrary file and when the web site will be load, the two web.config will be merge.  Is it possible to such thing ? Hi Biz, It is possible to-do this using the configSource property on configuration section elements.  You could then store different configuration sections in different configuration files in a distributed way.Here is a MSD...

is it possible to set web.config's locations in code? would it be custom .config?
Hi! I was wondering if there's any way to set locations in code? I am aware of roles / memberships etc., but the underlying method which I have seen used still comes down to setting everything with web.config. Perhaps you have come across a custom .config setup? How would that work? I am using 2.0 framework - C# or VB.  Many thanks! Dmitri I do that by referencing another config file from within web.config.  My syntax looks like this:<connectionStrings configSource="WebConnectionStrings.config"></connectionStrings> then, WebConnectionString...

Cannot Resolve Symbol 'Web' in Web.config BETA 2
Created a new file system based web site from the ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site Template.  The following two web.config lines give me the error mentioned in the subject line and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what's going on and how to resolve? <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI" assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/> <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.Controls" assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/ ...

Should local Web.config overwrite Production Web.config
I have a hosting service that supporst ASP.net 2.0.  I have an SQL Server 2005 Express account with them.  I have just started using them and have written my first web app. I have read quite a few things but it is not clear to me whether or not when I copy my web site (using VWD) if I should copy the web.conf file or not.  My local app runs fine but after copying everything to my production web site, I am not able to access the production web site in my browser.  I suppose it may have something to do with the question I've asked concerning Web.config. Is there a partic...

AJAX 'Sections' of Web.Config Causing Web Site Not to Open
Using ASP.NET 2.0, in a Web Application Project, c#, we are having a problem getting the web site to open when we load a web.config file which enables AJAX.  This web config file works on the dev server here in the office, and on the customer's dev server.  (It has been set up for AJAX since last February). Whenever we load the same web.config file into the prod server, we simply get a blank screen where the entry screen should be.  It looks like the app is shutting sown as soon as it runs the web config file.Does anything need to be installed on the prod server?  The...

Getting file 'Web.Config' from the web continually in status bar
I continually receive "Getting file 'Web.Config' from the web" with a a 10 second delay (cursor switching to hour glass) when I am moving around in a couple of diferent web projects. Like it has to reload  web.config continually. It is only on two of our projects that do this the others are fine. It will drive you crazy after a while. One of the projects that does this will not close and requires a forced shutdown of visual studio. I have checked settings, flushed the local copies, moved the web site directory and it still does it  Any ideas ...

Web resources about - Isolating web.config from it's parent web.config - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Isolating language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An isolating language is a type of language with a low morpheme -per- word ratio – in the extreme case of an isolating language words are composed ...

DIY: Shure Sound Isolating Earphone + iPhone 4 Earphone - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... microphone and controller. However, the sound quality is poor. It's just not good enough for listening music. I happend have Shure Sound Isolating ...

Sydney FC censured by PFA for isolating Nick Carle and Matt Thompson in training
The players' union has criticised Sydney FC after reports surfaced that Nick Carle and Matt Thompson had been isolated from training with their ...

Isolating Fiji, Sri Lanka or Myanmar would serve no useful purpose - The Australian
FEW subjects are more difficult for a democratic politician, especially a foreign minister, than how to deal with an authoritarian regime that ...

Ebola survivors, though few in numbers, face isolating stigma
The doctor has beaten the odds and survived Ebola, but even though he is completely healthy people are afraid to come near him or to have anything ...

Stephen Harper Urges Quebec To Avoid Isolating Itself From Country
... Que. - Following the return of a federalist government in Quebec, Prime Minister Stephen Harper urged the province on Tuesday to resist isolating ...

Review: RHA M350 noise-isolating aluminum headphones + exclusive 20% discount code
... me in that regard and, as such, prefer a pair of solid earbuds under the $50 mark. At first glance, it seemed that the RHA M350 noise-isolating ...

WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
The out musician also dedicated his Moscow performance to a 23-year-old gay Russian who was brutally murdered after coming out to his friends ...

Isolating Ebola-affected nations could worsen outbreak, experts say
Some politicians are calling for the closure of US borders to virus-stricken countries in wake of first US Ebola death

Isolating issues in Mac OS X - Apple Support
By using the approach here, you can learn how to isolate an issue to its root cause, or at minimum to determine the sequence of events that causes ...