Help! An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.

I got this message with no more information which can help me to continue to trace. I know this is from http://localhost/DotNetNuke/components/Exceptions/XMLExceptionPublishervb.vb and  Catch exc As UnauthorizedAccessException. I don't know which file is accidently set to READ ONLY due Host site and Loacl Machine download/upload transmission. Somebody can help me there? Please
0
williecai

Willi, the file in question is in portals/_default/logs/

The message is referring to not being able to write out the exception. You will need to set the file permissions on the entire folder that DNN resides in to full permissions for either the ASp.NEt user if this is on XP or 2000, If you are running the portal on 2003, then you will need to use the Network Services account.

hth Bruce
DynamicVB.Net
0
bhopkins
5/6/2004 1:48:32 AM
You know, I've had this problem too and even though my permissions were set correctly, the error still occurred.

I resolved this issue by deleting the exceptions log file:
\Portals\_default\Logs\Exceptions.xml.resources
Hope that helps.
Richard

0
rthurgood
5/6/2004 12:57:20 PM
Create a Directory named Logs under portals\_default.
0
smartsource
5/6/2004 1:50:36 PM
It all helps. Thank you all very much!
0
williecai

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
I have moved my site to a new server but I am getting the following message.An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.I have the ASP.NET user having FULL Permissions on every file/folder in the site.  But I'm noticing some files get set to Read-Only.  I reset every file to Read/Write and within a hour something is set back to read only.  ...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
Oups I have this message .... When I upload my portal .... What can I do ?Jerome FORTIAS on SAP Microsoft Web & Integration Consultant http://portal.go4consulting.net (powered by DNN) Make certain that the directory to which the application resides has the proper permissions (ie: Win2K = ASPNET, Win2K3 = NETWORK SERVICE). For easy of setup these objects should have full control of the directory.~ChrisNet Data Design706Horsman.us I dont know but my hosting company confirmed to me that's my host plan includes a .net supportJerome FORTIAS on SAP Microsoft Web & Integration Consul...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. #2
Why I recever this error, I'm loged with Host An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. Do you have Read/Write/Change access rights to the DotNetNuke directories? Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider and Providers\DataProviders\SQLDataProvider: SQL Script logs are written hereBruce F. Gagliolo Jr.Information Technology ConsultantThe future starts today, not tomorrow. - Pope John Paul II Yes it's a local instalation, where is de log files ? Make ...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. #3
Help, I rebuild sigama pro-2.0 , then it goes the error: An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. Then I install DNN 2.1.2 clean, the error still there. Anybody, Help!...

IDM3
Hi everybody, every once on a while, I get remoteloader error messages "Cannot write to = log file: Unable to open log file" on our domino server. Domino server = locks subsequently and needs to be restarted. Just restarting remotelader = services does not help. Anyone else seen this? Ideas? (Environment: IDM3 onOES Linux, Domino 6.5 on Win2k, 6 drivers instances) Thanke, Lothar We had similar problems and fixed them by putting the RemoteLoader on a seperate machine and just let NDSREP run on the domino server. I got the hint from Terry Nuffer and he has posted ...

Error writing to exception log
I am getting the following error: An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. Where is the location of the exception log. I am currently being hosted by a host company and I have set read-write permissions to everything I can. Please advise so I can tell them exactly what directory needs read-write permissions. Thanks to all who reply in kind, the cat In your DNN folder; Portals/_default/Logs/GMSS DNN Hey thanks for the help so far. I really want to get this thing working. Now I am getting this error: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. Stack Trace: [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] DotNetNuke.PortalSetting...

Log files not logging
I have been given responsiblity for running our BorderManager 3.6 system. The server is no longer doing any logging. The last log file is dated August 13 2004. I just took this over. It is BM 3.6. Does anyone have any ideas where to look? Thanks Scott The administration of the log files is located in NWAdmin - select the Bordermanager Setup Tab - highlight HTTP Proxy - click on details - there is a Logging tab there that will tell you where the files are located and for how long, etc. Somtimes I have to go in and clean the logfiles out of the volume - if the volume ...

Re: "cannot write to log file: unable to open log file"
in the meantime i opened a support call with novell, where i got the information this would be a well known problem regarding a conflict in writing to log.nsf. there are two ways to handle this: 1. install remote loader on a system with notes client and communicating with the domino-server through that client (as in installation guide). 2. reconfiguring domino-server to use another notes.ini we did neither want to set up another system for every of our 60 notes-drivers nor move away from domino-standard that far. our solution is to forbid ndriver.id to write anything to the log...

Transaction Log Files/Virtual Log Files
I am wanting to reduce the amount of Virtual Log Files I have. In reading through the Online Book Documentation, I realize that I have forgotten to move the Transaction Log Files to a different drive. Now that the server is in production, I wanted to get some input about the best way of making this change. Can I just change the directory the log files are being written to in the DB properties without having any adverse problems occurring?Willhttp://www.strohlsitedesign.com/http://www.WillStrohl.com/ changing the logfile location is probably going to require to to get single user acc...

GWCheck log files in log directory
Hello, It is reported that I have 313 files in my log directory. Can someone tell me what directory this is because I can not find the files. I would like to delete them. Thanks for your help. Charles Choskins, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and optio...

Exception Logging logs error with file path from the machine where application got built.
Hi, I am facing one strange issue. I have built my ASP.NET web application using Nant automated build process which inturn uses MSBuild.exe. I am using exception and logging EABs in my application to log an exception. Now in case of any exception logs get created with path of the file from exception was caught. But this does not log the file path from deployment server instead it logs the file path from where I generated automated build. I confirmed that the logged file path does not exist on deployment server. Did any one face this issue earlier? Please let me know any solution on this....

Rename transaction log
Hi all, We are experiencing a situation with a consolidated database (Sybase 5.5.04 Build 1916), we are running dbremote (Build 1912) and when this is run with a -x (rename transaction log) we receive a message "error writing to log file". When we turn the -x off it runs a treat. Prior to this dbremote was running without a problem for over a year. Has anyone experienced this before ? Will the old transaction logs clear down even if the -x is no longer on ? Any help much appreciated. Cheers, Ach I just ran dbremote using 5505 with the -x switch with no proble...

No more to delete Log file and start it with new log file
Hi we are running Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0. But, Since April , we can not backup them, selecting the option(:Starting DB with new Log file). After back up the DB(about 3 GB), Log(about 1.9GB) and then it says "Waiting for transations to complete..", Waiting for transations to complete.."... How can we start DB with new Log file? any other solutions? Thank you for your help: ======== chungih1@paran.com You may want to send this to one of the IAnywhere newsgroups and not EAServer. -Kevin "I.H.Chung" <chungih1@paran.com> wrote in me...

how to transfer log files between servers and search these log files?
Hi Everyone, I have one Windows server.I have five Linux servers.These five Linux servers produces log files. Each log files contains informations such as domain name, first name, last name, etc. Question 1: Can I write an ASP.NET application for the Windows server so that this ASP.NET application can transfer all the specified date(from 05/22/2006 to 06/22/2006) log files from these five Linux servers to the Windowns server?  If so, how to write this ASP.NET applicationfor transfering log files? Question 2: After we transfter all the log files from these five Linux servers to the Wi...

Cannot open transaction log file Can't use log file "JUDIC.LOG" since its shorter than expected
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4ca971d0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear Sybase support Team, I tried to start a service in Sybase but all I was getting was =93Cannot open transaction log file Can't use log file "JUDIC.LOG" since its shorter than expected=94 . Tried to google out for some solutions , but all I was getting , were Sybase errors with no solutions. I kindly seek your help on what might have been the cause and the solution to the problem. Your...

Log to other file then srv.log
Hi, Is it possible to log to other(s) file then srv.log Like one file per app. -- Borre Sure, but you'll have to write the logging functionality yourself. I have an eventlogger component in my server that gets the log file name from the package properties and creates a log file for each package. You could do Server, Package, Component or whatever you choose, but you will have to write code to do it. In fact I recommend that you do NOT write application messages to the srv.log file. regards, Bill Borre Nordbakken wrote: > Hi, > > Is it possible to...

user log in log file
If I open GroupWise Client, it is logged into the poa log even before I put password information. How can I ensure that the user loged in (or didn't) in that time that log shows? Thankyou in advance. -- Fabio Martins OS/CN Analyst http://fabiomartins.net What exactly do you mean? If you mean "can I know if they actually succeeeded in logging in", no. imagine 3 possbilities user logs in correctly user has bad password user just cancels 1 and 3 look identical. 2 will give an FFFF error. "Fabio Martins" <contato@fabiomartins.net>...

An IO Error has occurred writing to the exception log. HELP!!!
I have just set up dnn 2.1.2 with access within the last week and it was working fine. Yesterday and today when I go to log in I get the error An IO Error has occurred writing to the exception log. If I hit the refresh then go to the front page, I am logged in with all options working. How do I get rid of this error - it happens in all of the portals and is confusing for members. Thank you for your time. Make certain that the directory has the proper ASPNET or Network Service permissions set on it (read/write/change), and that it's not set as 'read-only'.~ChrisNet Data Design7...

To log or not to log
Hello foremen, on a large database, trillions of SELECTs and DELETEs are going to be performed. After that, the database is going to be unloaded. The database uses a transaction log. Should I keep the log there along this process or "unmount" it after some parts of it (or even before the beginning)? In this case, nothing but the speed is important. The database is ASA 7.0.4.3498. Thanks Pavel LOG... ALWAYS LOG. Performance is dependent on the use of the log. Recommendations: 1) Ensure that the file system is not excessively fragmented 2) Host the db f...

Help with: "An error has occurred writing to the exception log"
Hi All, Having uploaded numerous portals today to existing sites I am stuck with the following error that appears on two brand new sites... I've uploaded everything and redone it twice with no success. When you try to log on I get the following error. An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. Normally I would get the host (Great service) to check that the aspnet user account has full rights and everything works fine, but not on these. Is there...

Logged In As: Not Logged In
I installed ZCF 10.0.1 on a Win 2K3 server and when I install the ZEN client on a workstation the ZENWORKS client login comes up and I cannot log into it. It shows me the realm name of my tree and Zenworks Zone and I have tried both to no avail. When I look at the details of the adaptive agent it says, "Logged In As: Not Logged In" Any ideas? On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:55:21 GMT, Jayson E. Hahn wrote: > Any ideas? Debug logs in ZCM http://www.novell.com/support/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=3418069&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=51010132...

Logging log
Hi! I try to accomplish task described in http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-server-install/422609-mixed-login.html?pagenumber= and wonder I don't know how to keep log of logging? I mean, does ZCM is capable to keep logging log? As Altiris NS does? More thanks, Alar. -- NovAlf ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You look like you want to log in to your zone as a user from either a eDIR or AD. And yes this is possible, it will search both Directories. http://www.theurbanp...

Write to a log file? Not a session file.
Is there any way for the app to write to a global log file other than a file in the session directory? We're looking for a way to track logins, both successful and unsuccessful. (I know succesful could be tracked in the database we we want to capture IP's as well) Thanks Jay Jay, you can do this by using file operation methods in System .Net Assembly. The following code logs the timestamp in <C:\Logs\Mylog.txt> file. 1.Add System .Net Assembly in your target 2. Write permission to C:\Logs\ folder to ASP.NET / IIS account String ls_log = 'C:\...

what 's the difference between databases(db) with log files and without log files?
I used to use a database with log files, but now I must install the database to many client machines, and I find there will be errors when the log file is just copied instead of backuped.so I want to use a database without log files.But will there be any disadvantages? thanks for your help! ps:I find after I backup a database(db) with log files to a database without log files, the new database is useless,I mean I cann't connect to it! Orion I believe you want to post this over in one of the sybase.public.sqlanywhere sections. On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:51:55 +0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.database Orion <remoter@263.net> wrote: >I used to use a database with log files, but now I must install the database >to many client machines, and I find there will be errors when the log file >is just copied instead of backuped.so I want to use a database without log >files.But will there be any disadvantages? > >thanks for your help! > >ps:I find after I backup a database(db) with log files to a database without >log files, the new database is useless,I mean I cann't connect to it! > >Orion > > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi] http://www.kidbrothers.org | http://www.fccwc.org http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm | http://www.needhim.org http://www.jesus...

Web resources about - Help! An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Tests Allowing Users To Start Games Instantly, Bypass Permissions Dialog
Facebook game developers Zynga , Kixeye , and Electronic Arts reached agreements with Facebook to test a new “start now” feature, that allows ...

Why is the Messenger app requesting permission to access features on my Android phone or tablet? - Facebook-Hilfebereich ...
If you install the Messenger app on your Android, your phone or tablet should let you know that the app is asking for your permission to access... ...

Permissions Reference - Facebook-Entwickler
When a user authenticates your application, by default, your app gets the ability to read only the u...

Facebook tests ‘start now’ option to allow users to begin playing games without authorizing permissions ...
Some Facebook canvas games are testing a new “start now” function to let users begin playing games immediately without the roadblock of a permissions ...

OOPS: without Permission, Paul Ryan and Family Show Up Washing Clean Dishes at Ohio Soup Kitchen - YouTube ...
The head of a charity in Ohio is not pleased with Paul Ryan's photo op at a soup kitchen in Ohio, saying that the Romney campaign "ramrodded ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

LeBron James sought sons' permission before his return to Ohio
Before LeBron James could return home to the Cavaliers, he first had to clear it with his children.

Scientists seek permission to edit the genes of human embryos
British scientists have applied for permission to edit the genes of human embryos in a series of experiments aimed at finding out more about ...