Creating User Account Without Default Security Role (Registered User Role)

  My DNN version is 3.1.1. The portal is set to Private Registration. Unauthenicated users have access to the basic pages of the site. We require my company's current customers to register and be approved to have access to all other pages that contain information restricted to them (the major part of the site). As you know, authorizing a user account applys the Registered User security role by default and this is how I control access to the customer areas.

  We want to create a page that will be used by Marketing to allow potential customers by login to have access to restricted information on that page but not access to the other restricted current customer pages. There seems to be no way to do this because if we create a user account and give them a special security role to access this page, the user account (by default) also has the Registered User security role included which gives them access to the current customer pages.

  The Registered User role is not removeable from an account and I can understand this as it is the defining default role that the application uses to begin the levels of access control to areas of the site. It seems that we could work around this by adding a role that would be applied to all current customer user accounts and not adding it to the potential temporary customer accounts. I really don't think this is a sound idea and would at least require that we add this role to every current customer account and change the security access on all pages to include this new security role. Basically what we would be doing is redefining the default security role to be this added role. This would complicate adding accounts for new current customers and I'm not sure that we would not be working ourselves into a corner for unknown situations down the road.

  The accounts that need to be created for these potential customers for Marketing would be calendar date expiring accounts that have access to restricted information on the Marketing page but not access to base level sensitive information contained on current customer pages.

  Anyone got any ideas for this situation?

DKilgore

Assign role 1 to the the current customers when you approve them and then allow the potential customers to be only registered users (not in role 1)

both are registered users so for the first role you change page permissions to only allow role 1 - not registered users
Dylan Barber
read my stupid blog http://codemypantsoff.com
Pants Optional!
0
codegalaxy

Login controls
HiI'm building a web app in visual studio 2005 and I'm setting up a 'create user' page for the admin part of the app. I'm creating a customised CreateUserWizard so that I can add a user to the asp.net membership list (in database on my server) and also add some info to one of my tables (user first name, faculty they work for etc).  I want to be able to let the admin user allocate roles (those already defined in my config) from a drop down list. I want to inculde this in my create user wizard, and have an 'update user' section where I can change their role the...

create a user role to "create users"
Is it possible to create a user role so that i can assign users to create users. I don't want to give them access to the administrator role, just a role that will allow them to create new users. You could work around that by placing a user account module on a page only accessible by the role in question.The original registration would then be turned off or set to private.I think that's the easienst way of dealing with your problemHope that helpsLeif But if you add a Users Account module to a page, doesn't that just show the currently logged in user their details. Is there something i am...

allow registered users of a site, to create new users and manage their roles and passwords etc
Hi Hi All Im looking for a solution which will allow registered users of a site, to create new users and manage their roles and passwords etc, so that the registered primary user becomes an administrator for the other users they create.   In short, I am not good enough to create this my self, so if anyone knows of an off the shelf solution that  exists, or what this type of thing is know as so I can find it via a web search, I’d be most grateful as I’m not having much luck so far   Thanks   odxsigma   Hello yes , there is somethi...

How to implement registered user(s) predefine role when user register?
Hello everyone, I would like to know how to implement a predefine role to users who register on the site without changing manually each role for the user. Example: "All Users" is used even after the person registered on the site. "Admin" has access to all. So how would I go about implementing another role "AuthUsers" when Anonymous users enrolled on the site and immediately become "AuthUsers"? I've simply added some code to my AddUser sproc that adds them to a specific RoleID. Here it is in its entirety: CREATE Proced...

Manage Users For This Role / Manage Roles For This User Question
In the roles/user management pages there is a link called Manage Users For This Role and Manage Roles For This User respectively. I want non Admins to be able to see these pages, and currently I have it so that they can see the manage users and manage roles pages. However, when a non admin clicks on Manage Users For This Role or Manage Roles For This User link it does not display the control, just an empty page. I can get around this by giving edit rights to the page, but I do not want them to have edit rights for the page. Any ideas? Thanks  ...

Create User control & User Roles
Hi there guys, I would like to know if it is possible to assign a new user a user role without using the website admin tool. The scenario is i have got a 'create user' page in my site's admin section but all I can do is just create a user and not actually assign roles to that user. Is there some way I can tweak the create user control to assign a role or some other way to achieve this? (any code in VB please) Thanks for the help  Matt Hi Matt,You can use Roles.GetAllRoles() to get all role list and use Roles.AddUserInRole to add user in role.Ahmed Abu Dagga Thanks for that Ahmed....

Changing User Roles / Deleteing User Accounts
While creating my site i have been using the test server built within visual studio to test my site. But now i want to upload my finished site but want to know how i can delete user accounts and set/change roles while it is online. I have been doing this within the ASp.net config site, but when i upload it how am i to change these? do i have to download the site off of the server and do it within VS or is there an easier way to do this? Thanks you just need to download the aspnet.mdf file and use asp.net configuration tool to prepare the database , then you can upload the database to t...

Creating a "user's page"
I would like to create a page in my intranet portal that would be for each specific user, sort of a personalized home page where they could add content and modules and order them according to their liking. I thought that I could just add a new tab for each user under the home tab and give them admin access to it, but I want it only available to them (ie. the user can only access the tab with their name on it: username = tabname). The only way I can figure out how to do this is to create a role for each user and then limit their tab to their role. However, I have too many users to crea...

create a default role for all new users (self-created registrations)
Hello, Is there a way to set a default role with the createuserwizard control? I only have 2 roles, and I want all content other than the admin folder to be available to anyone who is not anonymous. (If the search was working on this site I probably would find what I am looking for... thanks!)     From Object browser I found this and tried to implement it like the following:     Protected Sub CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CreateUserWizard1.CreatedUser       ...

a default role for users registering on my website
Hello, How can i set a default role for users who register on my website? thanks To assign a default role with the createuserwizard addProtected Sub CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Roles.AddUserToRole(CreateUserWizard1.UserName, "WebUser") End Sub Default role is "WebUser" You also need to add OnCreatedUser="CreateUserWizard1_CreatedUser" within the <asp:CreateUserWizard tag. Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that h...

Problem : Get a list of user belonged to a role or to know if a user already has a role
What code can I write to know if a user belonged to a Role already ? and How can I get a list of a  user already in an existing role ? Please have a look at my code below : Protected Sub AddUsers_OnClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAddUsersToRole.Click' I wanna add some code here to check if a user already belonged to a Role' Please insert your code here. Thanks a lot. ' A role must be selected If RolesListBox.SelectedItem Is Nothing Then Msg.Text = "Please select a role." Exit Sub End If ...

Programmatically place a user into a specific role upon create user
I would like to programmatically assign a user to a specific role when they create a user. My create user method is 2 pages, one for the asp createuserwizard then postsback to a separate oage that collect user info like address and phone etc. should I assign it in the create user wizard page? or on the next page look up the user, then add user to role?  and How would I do this in VB I read the tutorial on assigning roles but I don't want a page where users can assign their own role, althouh it was useful for admin, I want it done for them automatically.   Bobby-Z:s...

Is possible assign role to user while creating user using UA
Hi, I have requirement that i wanted to assign the role to the user while creating user in IDM vault using Novell User Application whith Admin rights. Is there anyway to customize or integrate the role service portlets with create portlet.or Is it possible to assign role to user while creating user? if there is any otherway then please suggest me. IDM User Application version is 3.6.1. Thanks in advance, Suresh Patike -- sureshpatike ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 05/17/2010 01:46 AM, sureshpatike wrote: > >...

How is the default Role for a new registered user set?
I've been digging through the C# Personal Site Starter Kit code, and I cant seem to figure out how it assigns roles to new users. How is this determined?And how would one configure this?thanks It doesn't add roles to users, you do. Go to the file menu in VWD and select Website -> ASP.NET Configuration. You will then be presented with a web site where you can add roles, users, approve users, and add users to roles. Alternatively you can add some code to the registration page that adds the registered users to the "Friends" role. You will have to set the CreateUserWizard property of "Dis...

Web resources about - Creating User Account Without Default Security Role (Registered User Role) - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Registered mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Registered mail describes letters, packets or other postal documents considered valuable and in need of a chain of custody that provides more ...

Facebook Studio Edge URLs Registered
On the same day that Facebook introduced its new Camera iPhone application, three domain names based on Facebook Studio Edge were registered ...

Vevo doubles registered user count since switching to Facebook-only login; CEO hints at further integration ...
Music video service Vevo has doubled its total registered users as a result of switching to Facebook-only login and adding more personalized ...

How many registered users does NYTimes.com have?
There are some updates to this page that haven't been applied yet because you've entered some data into a form. You can refresh this page to ...

All sizes - German-registered RV in Canada - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A Tony Baroni Luxury Exclusive: The Oldest Registered Home in Hillsborough County, Florida - YouTube
12401 Calusa Lane Thonotosassa, FL 33592 MLS# T2712012 Description: Welcome to Mimosa Groves on 5 Acres of Peaceful Paradise located on Lake ...

Debtors likely to be arrested on entry into the UAE if cases have been registered
If there are cases registered the debt must be repaid in full before the case can be cancelled.

Paris attacker was registered refugee - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE holder of a Syrian passport found near the body of one of the gunmen who died in Friday night's attacks in Paris was registered as a refugee ...

Computer consultant already registered as sex offender jailed for child pornography offences
A &quot;depraved&quot; computer consultant has been jailed for charges that included disguising a child pornography virus on schoolboys' Facebook ...