Creating Parent or Child Portals and Home Directory: Portals/[PortalID] Customize

I have installed and used many separate DNN installs (one for each company or friend), but never created child or parent portals off 1 main DNN install.

I want to host a few sites for friends and small businesses using 1 DNN install and either parent or child portals off of that,  DNN 4.0.3 This will make upgrading going forward much easier I would assume. Just upgrade the one install of DNN instead of each install I host for friends.

….Question1: what do I use and why, Parent or Child? Advantages and Disadvantages of each

When I create a child portal, there is an option for Home Directory, that will auto populate to the next number starting from 0 then 1, 2......It also gives you the option to type in your own home directory name.. maybe something like,... myFamilySite

…..Questions2: Should I let DNN create the portal using the auto increment number((Portals/[PortalID]))? or should I type in a meaningful name like myFamilySite ,,, and what is the draw backs and advantages of both methods.

Thanks in advance!

AskHottie.com
http://www.AskHottie.com
.COM with US!
0
DavidsBrain

My understanding is that parent portals are for if you will have unique domain name for the site, while a child portal will be a folder off the parent domain, mydomain.com/childportal. Other than that, they work the same.

As far as changing the folder name, I have always just kept the default number. I never really paid much attention, but it seems that the functionality to give it a different name is disabled. I never tried messing with it though, so maybe there is a way to change it. If you are going to have a lot of child portals, it might be difficult to remember which number is for which portal. Then again, you could always look it up, or just keep a written list.
0
dnngirl34

Promote Child Portal to Parent and Parent Portal to Child
Here is my situation. When I created our website at work, we were in charge of a Division of the company in a Directorate, Division, Branch style setup. So I developed the site with the Division as the parent. Now we have been requested to re-do and start maintaining the Directorate level website and all childs. So how do I promote a Child Portal (Directorate) to the Parent Portal and my current Parent Portal (Branch) to a child? I tried changing the portal aliases to no avail. Any other suggestions?Jeremy...

Error:Reindexing content works in Parent portal but not on a child portal for custom modules
 I have two portals. one a parent and the other a child. I've a custom module with Isearchable funs implemented and an instance of it is added to two taps, one in each portal. When I index the content, only the module in the parent portal gets indexed! I had tested reindexing on the child portal by adding the Text module and it works fine. It hase nothing to do with the Supported feature field, because it is the same for all instances of the Desktop module and is set to 3 Do I need to look up the source code for reindexing content? Any help is greatly appreciated Thanx I...

Child portals with child portals
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but it is in relation to a custom module so here it goes. Can a child portal have child portals? If i try to create a child portal within a child portal using the standard dnn portal creator the portal seems to be created correctly except for the fact that the directory with default.ascx is created in the root of the dnn site not as a subdirectory of the child folder. If i move the directory the portal seems to behave. Is the location of the folder handled by PortalCrontroller.Createportal or is it just a...

3.0.8 Issue
To reproduce, create a child portal, goto the child portal, then create a new page. next delete this page. you end up at the parent portal home page. Possable Fix... DNN/Admin/Tabs/ManageTabs.aspx Line 509 Change the delete case statement like so... Case "delete" If DeleteTab(TabId) Then 'Response.Redirect("~/" & glbDefaultPage, True) 'TRT_FIX: Delete Child Portal Page Bug Response.Redirect(DotNetNuke.Co...

one portal(child portal and parent portal) can have multiple domain names at same time?
I create one child portal: www.mysite.com/client, now my client want to add one www.clientsite.com domain on it and doesn't change anything.Is it possible?I have added it on my DNN, but it doesn't work.I want to know, one portal(child portal and parent portal) can have multiple domain names at same time?...

Diff between Child portal and a parent portal?
Hi Can any one tell me what is the Diff between Child portal and a parent portal? Ever since i upgraded to .Net 1.1 i am not able to create a parent portal. Has anyone noticed this? When using .Net 1.0 it was ok. Creating child portal is ok in .Net 1.1. Thanks. I kind of doubt that it is related to the actual framework that is installed on the machine. If you want to rollback your virtual directory to the 1.0 framework, you can run this command at the command prompt: (could be WINDOWS or WINNT based on your OS) 1. cd C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 2. Run th...

Converting a Child Portal to a Parent portal
I have a child portal on my host whose owner recently registered a domain name. Now, rather than seeing the <www.myhost../portal/childportalname> URL in the client browser, they would like the address to remain at their domain name. I think that I need to convert their portal from a child portal to a parent portal. Is this possible without having to create a new portal? If so, how do I go about doing it? actually, it's REALLY simple. All you have to do is change the Portal alias field in the site settings to the new URL. (or, alternatively, have both aliases in this filed seper...

Change child portal to parent portal.
Dear Buddies, Could anyone please explain the process involved in changing the child portal to parent portal. Regards, Nickel. They are essentially the same thing. So the only difference is the alias which in a child portal might be yourdomain.com/child. When you have a full domain (say newportalname.com) to point at that portal you change the alias (Site Settings) to read www.newportalname.com,newportalname.com Now when your users go to newportalname.com they will be directed to the correct portal. Regards Regards, Nick Free Css Skins! | nuke.nickclements.net  Tha...

Error-Creating Portal: DotNetNuke Default Portal
When I put out my DNN3.0.11 on the virtual sapces,I can't creat default portal,which error got from Installation Status Report. Am i have'n got the power to create the folder? Can i creat portal by manual? Thank you for your help....

DNN child portals without parent portal?
I currently have www.domain.com setup as the primary DNN portal.  In addition, I have multiple child portals underneath www.domain.com Question:  Is it possible to make www.domain.com a regular web site (flash/html) without affecting the child portals. I am afraid to point www.domain.com to a subfolder becuase it may mess up the child portals even if I leave all of the DNN files untouched. Any thoughts?...

How to generate URLs to child portals on a parent portal
I have a multi portal setup where I have a main parent portal representing the United States and several child portals representing US cities. I want to have links to various items of content on my child portals on my parent portal such as events, profiles, forums, etc.....There is no easy function call in DotNetNuke to do this from what I can find. Also, handling the "www" can be troublesome as if a user logs into the parent as parent.com all child links must be parent.com/child and if user logs in as www parent.com then all child links must be as www parent.com/child.I desribed this proble...

Mangage Child portals + Independant portal from Master portal
I was just thinking that if you had a table consisting of PortalID,connectionstring you could modify the Getdatabaseconnectionstring function to accept a portalid parameter. Inside that function just return the connectionstring for that portalId the Host account could then have modules that allow maint. and reports whatever ya thought up, form one source without having to go directly to the site because the authintication would be valid, the only thing changing is where the data is coming and going. I have not implemeneted this at all yet but the concept seems valid. It sure would help for ...

Share parent portals pages across all child portals
Hi, Is there a way one can share pages (defined in a parent portal) across child portals? I'm implementing an intranet for a holding company with different sister companies, and would like to set up so that going to holdingcompany/coA would give me all of the pages defined for portal holdingcompany + those defined for coA. Thanks, Tinky_Lou...

Do Parent Portal and child Portal share authentication info?
Do Parent Portal and child Portal share authentication info? If not is there any way to share user information between the portals. thx Samir The user info is stored in the same table in the DB, and there are two things that happen: a) there cannot be two users with the same username, it does not matter if they are in different portals, wether they are PArent or child does not matter. b) If a user registers again with the same username and password to another portal, it is silently added. Modifications to any of his settings/info reflect in every portal. Sometimes this m...

Web resources about - Creating Parent or Child Portals and Home Directory: Portals/[PortalID] Customize - asp.net.dotnetnuke