Convert Source Install into Binary Install

What is the best way to take an existing DNN site that was installed
via source install, and remove all the unneeded files to create a
binaries only version?

*Note this is a production site, that is already in use, and has many custom modules.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scott Schecter
EntitySpaces
Schecter Technology Solutions
0
AerosSaga

Scott,

I would recommend using Beyond Compare and remove all unnecessary files (when you compare your production site with the Install version that you can download from the dnn website) manually.
However, be extra carefull around the /Portals, /Install and /DesktopModules directories.

Geert Veenstra
0
Geert
8/25/2005 6:22:23 PM
I was afraid that was going to be the answer, thanks Geert, no easy way huh?

Regards,

Scott Schecter
EntitySpaces
Schecter Technology Solutions
0
AerosSaga
8/25/2005 6:40:30 PM
I already did it, as I did an update on the first day, before the install was released.
I went trough all directories, deleting all .vb and associated .resx (those, that resided in the same folder, NOT in the app_resources subfolder!), .sln, .suo and .vbproj files. Took about 15 minutes.
Sebastian

Sebastian Leupold
gamma concept mbH

DeutschNetNuke = DotNetNuke in German

DNN Project UserDefinedTable
0
leupold
8/25/2005 7:23:32 PM

forgot to mention:

1. sorting by file type speeds up the process a lot.

2. empty folders can be deleted as well.

Sebastian Leupold
gamma concept mbH

DeutschNetNuke = DotNetNuke in German

DNN Project UserDefinedTable
0
leupold
8/25/2005 7:24:44 PM

next additions:

4. you can also delete the bin folders in the /controls subtree, the /js/ClientAPITests folder and the /solutions folder.
5. in the root folder, delete also development.config, .build and .fxcop files.

Now this should be all.

Sebastian Leupold
gamma concept mbH

DeutschNetNuke = DotNetNuke in German

DNN Project UserDefinedTable
0
leupold
8/25/2005 7:29:59 PM
This may help you with all the resx files! Make sure you change the path from C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DNN30Deploy to something that fits!!

<code>

using System;

using System.IO;

using System.Text.RegularExpressions;

namespace RemoveResx

{

/// <summary>

/// Summary description for Class1.

/// </summary>

class Class1

{

/// <summary>

/// The main entry point for the application.

/// </summary>

[STAThread]

static void Main(string[] args)

{

DirectoryInfo oDI = new DirectoryInfo(@"C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\DNN30Deploy");

RecurseFolders(oDI);

Console.WriteLine("Finished");

Console.ReadLine();

}

private static void RecurseFolders(DirectoryInfo oDI)

{

FileInfo[] oFI = oDI.GetFiles("*.resx");

foreach(FileInfo f in oFI)

{

bool bIsLocalResx = IsInResourceFolder(f);

if(bIsLocalResx == false)

{

f.Delete();

}

}

DirectoryInfo[] oDIChildren = oDI.GetDirectories("*.*");

foreach(DirectoryInfo d in oDIChildren)

{

RecurseFolders(d);

}

}

private static bool IsInResourceFolder(FileInfo fiFile)

{

bool bRet = false;

string regex = "App_LocalResources|App_GlobalResources";

System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions options = ((System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.IgnorePatternWhitespace | System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.Multiline)

| System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);

System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex reg = new System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex(regex, options);

bRet = reg.IsMatch(fiFile.FullName);

Console.WriteLine(bRet.ToString() + " ~ " + fiFile.FullName);

return bRet;

}

}

}

</code>

Cheers,
Dave
0
DBuckner
8/26/2005 5:41:20 AM
sweet, I figured there were some scripts/apps floating around to do this.

Regards,

Scott Schecter
EntitySpaces
Schecter Technology Solutions
0
AerosSaga
8/26/2005 10:48:06 AM
Not that it's easy, but if you setup a local version of DNN and install the SAME custom modules. Then take production offline at a good time, delete all files, and copy over your local version.

EDIT: Option 2
Compare a clean source version against a clean install version, Extract the differences (which will be the un-needed files).
Compare the differences to the production site and delete all matches.

This process will get you around the problem of custom modules. You can find my post on using windiff for simple techniques of doing this.
John

Free DotNetNuke News, Tips, Strategies and more.
www.dotnetnukesites.com
0
phr0ze
8/26/2005 1:14:31 PM
 phr0ze wrote:
Not that it's easy, but if you setup a local version of DNN and install the SAME custom modules. Then take production offline at a good time, delete all files, and copy over your local version.

This is probably the best option, its just a little time consuming, but since there is no complete automated process I may take this route. I just wanted to make sure that in fact this was the most appropriate methodology, and judging from the responses thus far I would deem it so. Although, I may just upload the source, and forget about it, the only real benifit was not having to ftp up the whole source version each time for a bunch of sites which becomes quite time consuming. However, since this approach would most likely be just as time consuming if not more, I may just abuse my 3Mbps wireless connection and forget about it;).

Regards,

Scott Schecter
EntitySpaces
Schecter Technology Solutions
0
AerosSaga
8/26/2005 2:24:32 PM
 AerosSaga wrote:
sweet, I figured there were some scripts/apps floating around to do this.

lol I could only handle doing this once before VS.Net got broke out. Big Smile [:D]

Cheers,
Dave
0
DBuckner
8/26/2005 7:59:55 PM
I would imagine so, I really don't have the patience to do it by hand either.

Regards,

Scott Schecter
EntitySpaces
Schecter Technology Solutions
0
AerosSaga

To install or not to install?

Creating custom installer to install .net framework and installer of another software
 hii m trying to create a custom installer which will install .net framework 2.0 and i have another installer  of a software that i also want to be installed on Install(System.Collections.IDictionary stateSaver) event. Is it possible with custom installer.or i need to use something else like setup Project/Web setup project.please help me out  Regardsnav  Hi nav, Based on my understanding, you want to install .NET Framework 2.0 and another installer with your setup project. If I have misunderstood you concern, please let me know. In my opinion, you need setup boot...

How do you install the install the kernel source?
In OES linux, how do you install the kernel source and what's the recommend source cd - that is, oes sp2 or the original disks. Thank you. * zavi@hotmail.com wrote, On 01/19/2007 06:21 PM: > In OES linux, how do you install the kernel source and what's the recommend > source cd - that is, oes sp2 or the original disks. Just go into Yast, Software Management and install the kernel sources. It will ask you for the right CD. Then do an update through rug or Red Carpet to have the sources updated, i.e. match the version of your running kernel. Uwe -- Novell Support...

Anyway to re-install .net framework on a botched install that wont un-install?
  Newbie User (me) 64bit machine Win Server 2008 Beta 3 Data Center  64bit SharePoint Services 3.0 SharePoint Server Project Server SQL Express SQL Server   Ok so All I wanted to do was get a test bed up for Project Server ..   I installed SharePoint Services and Project Server.. it worked ..  the tech update feature had a minor error at the end so as a newbie I just figured I would install Share Point Server to fix it ..  etc   .. then it seemed like I had some missing features in Project Server so I installed the AS DC (Domain controler) ...

Inspiron 1000 install problem (11.1, 11.2, net install, dvd install)
Ok, I have a plain jane Inspiron 1000, 2ghz celeron, 256m ram, 40gig hd, dvd. I burned 11.2 to dvd, 11.1 to dvd, tried installing both. Both get the dreaded "cannot create repository" (i'm paraphrasing). No problem, I download and burn 11.1, 11.2 net install's, checksums check out ok. I go through the first part where it downloads stuff from download.opensuse.com (or something similiar), then it fails again, not able to install. I get no message on the net installs. Just fails real quick with a red box. I tried a text install, fails. What gives? --...

Applications that Install the .NET while installing the app.
Does anyone know what applications currently install the .net framework? Specifically, I'm interested in which Microsoft applications install the .net framework without needing a separate download. For example, does Office 2003 install the .NET framework when the application is installed? Thanks in advance for the help. Steve usually the .net framework is installed by the manufacturer along with the OS. so almost every comp thats being shipped now with win xp has .net 1.1 hth***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.*********************** Thanks for th...

FTP installation source broken after install
Greetings, I know this is something stupid that I'm doing wrong but....I have some older servers without DVD drives, so I set up a SLES10SP3 32-bit installation folder on our ftp server, under the root in the pub/sles10sp3 folder. I coped all the files from the DVD there. So the install goes fine, I boot from the 32-bit CD, choose FTP during install and configure the server and folder, anonymous access. It finds all the files and installs. Then, once the install is done, anytime I access anything with software I'm told it can't access the installation media, when I...

Debian Installation with the Net-Installer RC2
Debian Installation with the Net-Installer RC2 http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9271 *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** There are many ways of installing Debian, this is just how I do it. This guide is dedicated to all the newbies out there, and users with old boxes. *********************************************************** Unquote *********************************************************** -- Kayode Okeyode http://del.icio.us/kayodeok http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/ ...

Update installation source for autoyast installation
Hi, I'm trying to set up an autoyast installation. How can I add all available updates to the installation source. I tested with create_update_source.sh, but now I have wrong dependencies with older rpms like glibc. I marked "do not install glibc-2.4-31.30", so I get more and more dependency problems. How can I fix this? Thanks! Nicole #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2008-04-29 07:37:42 #### Installation von glibc-2.4-31.30.i686[SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1] nicht m.glich glibc-2.4-31.30.i686[SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1] kann n...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

trying to install DNN3.1
Greetings I'm trying to install DNN3.1 but I am stuck on this step: "- enter username/password for the SuperUser and Administrator for the default portal in dotnetnuke.install template file.  These are currently set to host/host and admin/admin respectively" I cannot find a file called dotnetnuke.install - have looked everywhere! I've tried DotNetNuke_3.1.0_Source\Install\Template but there is only an emptly .txt file here. I;v also tried the Install.aspx file but couldnt see anywhere in there to add SuperUser/Admin details. Where do I find this file? Thanks ...

How to install Source after a module Install is already loaded
I had a problem loading the "ForumBlog_03[1].10.01_Source.zip" file where it indicated some files were missing (File specified in the dnn could not be found in the zip file: DotNetNuke.Modules.Forum.dll).  I looked for other zip files in that zip file to make sure I was using the correct one, but I didn't see anything.  So I then loaded the "install" zip file instead of the "source" one.  That worked great.Now the problem exists that I need to modify the source code for the Blog and I'm not sure how/if it's possible to add the source code some other way besides the Module uplo...

Web resources about - Convert Source Install into Binary Install - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Today’s apps gone free: BlockBear, Stock Grader, PDF Smart Convert and more
Block ads and other annoying content, take the emotion out of investing, and convert almost anything into a PDF with todays collection of apps ...

How to convert your old VHS tapes to DVD with this software
Remember those old VHS tapes you have sitting in the corner? Convert them into DVDs with this affordable software so you can easily watch them ...