An exceptional exception

I'm getting an exception in the exceptions.vb class.  When an exception is caught:
Catch exc As Exception 'Module failed to load

ProcessModuleLoadException(Me, exc)
End Try
line 103 of the exceptions.vb file:
Public Sub ProcessModuleLoadException(ByVal ctrlModule As PortalModuleControl, ByVal exc As Exception)

ProcessModuleLoadException("Error: " + ctrlModule.ModuleConfiguration.ModuleTitle + " is currently unavailable.", ctrlModule, exc, True)
End Sub
throws an error because it cannot get the moduleTitle from the "Me" (PortalModuleControl) argument that is passed in. In fact, ctrlModule.ModuleConfiguration is nothing.
I checked and the web user control I'm developing does inherit from DotNetNuke.PortalModuleControl.
Does anyone know why the ModuleConfiguration would be Nothing?
Thanks,
David
(Note: 2.0.4)
0
devdave

I think I know 'why' now... the Web User Control I'm working on is a control nested within a PortalModuleControl.

So I guess the child User Control shouldn't inherit PortalModuleControl itself? Is that a bad thing? Should I just inherit System.Web.UI.UserControl?
If not, how should I do the exception handling? Do I re-raise the exception and let it's parent PortalModuleControl call the ProcessModuleLoadException method?
Thanks,
David
0
devdave
6/5/2004 2:51:56 PM
Does anyone know why I should or should not Inherit PortalModuleControl in a control within a PortalModuleControl?

Thanks,
David
0
devdave
6/8/2004 12:50:41 PM
You can inherit a PortalModuleControl as an embedded control in another custom module. We've done that before.

The general rule should be that any Custom Module has to be inherited from PortalModuleControl. If that's not the case, the skinning engine cannot instantiate the module and will fail to load it in DNN.
Any other usercontrols you develop, can (but don't have to) inherit from PortalModuleControl.
0
npeeters
6/8/2004 2:57:24 PM
Thanks, that helps.  Another question for you.  When you are developing a control that is not itself a Custom Module, but rather will be called by one, how do you report exceptions?

David
0
devdave

Exceptional Exception...
I am getting the following exception when people inside my company go to our new CSK derived site... Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The resource cannot be found. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested Url: /About+Us/Technical+Questions/default.aspx -------------------------------...

Exception Error
The following Exception arises when we are trying to run the project using for userregister module we inherit the portalmodulecontrol.vb and then we include other files also that are compulsory for portalmodulecontrol class.we are using .net framework1.1 ,OS windows 2000 server and DNN2.1.2. [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] DotNetNuke.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(PortalModuleControl ctrlModule, Exception exc) DotNetNuke.Register.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) ...

DotNetNuke.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(PortalModuleControlctrlModule, Exception exc)
The following Exception arises when we are trying to run the project for userregister module .We inherited the portalmodulecontrol.vb and then we included other files also that are compulsory for portalmodulecontrol class. We are using .net framework1.1 ,OS windows 2000 server and DNN2.1.2. [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] DotNetNuke.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(PortalModuleControlctrlModule, Exception exc) DotNetNuke.Register.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) ...

DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: External component has thrown an exception...
ModuleId: -1ModuleDefId: -1FriendlyName: ModuleControlSource: AssemblyVersion: 03.01.01Method: System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.ThrowIfCompilerErrorsFileName: FileLineNumber: 0FileColumnNumber: 0PortalID: 0PortalName: DotNetNuke Default PortalUserID: 1UserName: hostActiveTabID: 58ActiveTabName: TempAbsoluteURL: /Dotnetnuke3/Default.aspxAbsoluteURLReferrer: http://localhost/Dotnetnuke3/Temp/tabid/58/Default.aspxExceptionGUID: 6d45d861-d6aa-440e-9c8a-0c2529d7a1e6DefaultDataProvider: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProviderInnerException: External component has thrown an e...

Exception Handling: Catching every type of exception except for one
Hi,I have a webservice and use try catch blocks to do the error handling.  When an exception is caught, I throw a soapexception.  As this is the case, you can never usetry{ ... code ...}catch (Exception ex){       throw new SoapException();}As if you throw a SoapException, it will be caught by the catch block.This brings me to my question which is: Is there a way to catch everything except for the SoapException without listing all the other types of exception - e.g.try{    ... code ...}catch (!SoapException ex){    throw ...

An unhandled exception has been caught by the VSW exception filter. VS .Net 2003
I am using Visual Studio.Net for 2003 for developing ASP.Net application using VB.Net.After I've done a duplication of a web application in c:\inetpub\wwwroot all crashes. I begun to recive the error message: Microsoft Development Environment has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.An unhandled exception has been caught by the VSW exception filter.AppName: devenv.exe AppVer: 7.10.3077.0 ModName: mlang.dllModVer:6.0.2900.2180 Offset:0017af2 I've repair, uninstall and reinstall the hole program and still got the same messege when I want to...

Catch exceptions except 404
I have wrote an error log class that uses the Application_Error-method in Global.asax to save every exception to a database and send an error report to my mail. I have a problem because 99% of the mails I get is an exception that the page that the user requests doesnt exists. And that is nothing I can do about, its other pages that links to my page wrong. How can I avoid to get mails like that?I thought I could find the ErrorCode in the exception (404 represents cannot find page), but didnt find anything. Help! Here is a short summary of my Application_Error-method i global.asax: &...

Exception handling for Database exceptions
Dear all: I am interested on examples of how to adapt the new Java like exception handling capabilities of PB (TRY CATCH FINALLY END TRY) for the specific case of database statements. Until now I used to write: sql statement; if sqlca.sqlcode<0 then my_function(SQLCA, my_message) end if my_function() opens a response window with the different return codes and error messages. But I wonder how to do this now. Should I: runtimerror sql_err sql statement; if sqlca.sqlcode<0 then sql_err = create runtimerror Throw sql_err ........................ ...

The Exception the unkown software exception?
Name: JRC Sarma Email: jrcsarmaatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: The Exception the unkown software exception? Comments: The Exception the unknown software exception (oxc000000d) occurred at location 0x7817ef67 Click OK to Terminate the program Click Cancel to debug the program Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for th...

the exception breakpoint
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub425ce257 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit PB10 Enterprise EVAL Build 4500, Windows XP Pro V5.1 Build 2600.xpsp2.... : Service Pack 1 Hello, While testing new version of PB, we had a lot of crashes in programming-environment. (even more than in previous versions)Most of them we could resolve with regenerating objects,... Now we're getting a hard to solve problem, because the problem never happens at the same place, and it isn't clear why it happens. ...

Exceptions in .NET
Hi, I'm writing the synchronization scripts in .NET using C#. I want to catch the specific error message throws by the iAnywhere.MobiLink.Script.DBCommand class, using something like this: try { m_DBCommand = m_DBConn.CreateCommand(); m_DBCommand.CommandText = mySQLCommand; rs = m_DBCommand.ExecuteReader(); .. code .. } catch(Exception e) { .. code .. } This method catches the error message but it doesn't give me the native SQL code error number, or a specific database error mesage. The exception message always shows this: "Error in the applic...

exception unknown software exception
Hi, PB 8.0.2 Build 9620 OS - Widows 2000 I'm currently migrating an application from Powerbuilder 6.5 to Powerbuilder 8. It migrates fine but when I try to run the application on I get the following message The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000029) occurred in the application at ocation 0x77fb0738. What might be causing this GPF? Thanks Jabu Msiza Full rebuild ??? JMR CPD8 Couple of migration tips: - Run Migration Assistant (File / New / Tools) and fix any problems in PB6 - Full Rebuild and Optimize all your PBLs before you migrate (in...

theory: When is an exception 'exceptional' ?
For example, say I have a class with 1 method that simply adds 2 numbers together: Public class MyMathClass public function Add( byval FirstNumber as integer, byval SecondNumber as Integer) as integer return FirstNumber + SecondNumber end Function end Class I dont want the caller to be able to do MyMathClass.Add( Nothing, Nothing). How should this be handled? Is this 'exceptional' enough to warrant: If FirstNumber is Nothing Then Throw NullReferenceException End IF If SecondNumber is Nothing Then Throw NullReferenceException End IF and ...

exceptions && exception objects
Hi, I'm looking for tutorials/sample-code/book-recommendations for learning about exceptions, exception objects and their effective use. Cheers, Steve. ------------------------------------------------ On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:32:43 -0600, "Shaw, Steven" <Steven.Shaw@adc.com> wrote: > Hi, I'm looking for tutorials/sample-code/book-recommendations for learning about exceptions, exception objects and their effective use. > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/11/14/exception.html http://danconia.org Steven Shaw wrote: > Hi, I'm looking for tut...

Web resources about - An exceptional exception - asp.net.dotnetnuke

Exceptional case-marking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In linguistics, the term exceptional case-marking ( ECM ) denotes a phenomenon where the subject of an embedded infinitival verb seems to appear ...

10 Qualities of Exceptional Interviewers
Everyone agrees no business is better than its employees. So if hiring the right people is so important... why are most interviewers satisfied ...

iPlayer-MusicPlayer For Exceptional Sound Clarity(Lite Edition) on the App Store on iTunes
Get iPlayer-MusicPlayer For Exceptional Sound Clarity(Lite Edition) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Lalique : A unique and exceptional know-how - YouTube
From creation to manufacturing, discover the magical journey of our wonderful Lalique pieces. Thanks to a team of passionate designers, Lalique ...

After an exceptional career, give Bennett the benefit
After an exceptional career, give Bennett the benefit

Elliott Whitehead 'exceptional' buy for Canberra Raiders: Sam Williams
Want to know how good Raiders recruit Elliott Whitehead is? Canberra halfback Sam Williams says he will be exceptional.

America is not exceptional
Vladimir Putin penned the following op-ed to warn Americans they are not exceptional.

Australian World Heritage: keeping the outstanding exceptional
What does it mean to care for natural World Heritage in 2014 and beyond? With the current debate over the future of the Great Barrier Reef, this ...

Diamond Jubilee Gala toasts exceptional Canadians
... Molly Johnson, Ben Heppner and Gordon Lightfoot will take the stage in Toronto Monday evening for a Diamond Jubilee Gala honouring exceptional ...

10 Exceptional Toronto Condos And Detached Houses Under $5 Million
TOWER TRIP Magazine: We recently compiled a list of what $1 million can buy you in the Montreal real estate market. We decided to play the same ...